13Likes

post #601 of 628 Old 09-06-2014, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Kit - not Box.

But they for sure aren't very Swedish, it's more country music. But I do love they've chosen a path of their own.

Under construction:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 628 Old 09-06-2014, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I'm a Roxette fan myself, a great Swedish band from the late 80's,90's.
Is Magnus Samuelsson of worlds strongest man fame still big over there?
I heard he got into acting, and dancing with stars?
post #603 of 628 Old 09-07-2014, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Seen Roxette live too (as well as ABBA).

Roxette is active still, Marie had a brain tumor, but she's fortunately recovered and back on stage. So there may be a few albums sincethe 90:s you've missed. Per did a quite good solo album in the inbetween time too.

I know of him, but I'm not keeping up with the reality soaps and such - don't watch that much TV, so I can't really say.

Under construction:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #604 of 628 Old 09-08-2014, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Found some nice trim to finish the side edges of the carpet with (as it was 3" short of the full room width), put one in yesterday and quite happy with the result.

Have closed the wall from the cinema to the machine room where the rack has it's niche, just a few bitumen pieces left to add - and then there's the compartment above and the back side of the hatch to complete. But I expect to try and push the rack in soonish and hope it will comply.

Have had too much bass output and it dawned on me why yesterday - I had done the calibration with a stereo signal (from my iPad's measurement app), but when playing music I also add the .1 channel, thus it will be too much. As I cannot create such a signal, I've had to go about it slightly different and a little more by feel. Got to the point yesterday that I no longer felt the bass was overdominating every time there was a burst, but still there prominently when in need (like the collapsing monument in 'Olympus has fallen').

I got much smaller fluctuations in the bass modes this time, I would think that closing up that hole in the back wall improved it's function by quite a lot. I may end up thinking of a way to (partially) block the entraceway as well, but there's no real space to build a door there, to be honest.

Under construction:
post #605 of 628 Old 09-08-2014, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Got the side trim on the carpet done, so that's ticked off now.

The bitumen is up - used up all I had now. The rack has been pushed back in (damn it's heavy!) and fortunately the Sonos is still able to communicate despite some of the soundproofing I put up had an aluminum backing.

So now I can get on the stepladder and fix above as well.

Also put some cable channels up to lead some power cables around the door, the cabling itself left to be done.

Some more stuff moved out, so now it's some hifi gear, a synth and two guitars, the vacuum cleaner and the temporary lights that are 'extras' in the room. Some of it's been hidden behind the drapes.

Under construction:
post #606 of 628 Old 09-10-2014, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's the trim to mask that the carpet (at standard width) was 3" less than the room:

(Carlsson OA52.2 speaker can be glimpsed behind curtain, planned for front-wide)

Electronics pushed back into place:

From top to bottom:
Sonos (streaming audio)
a cheap Panasonic DMP-BDT220EG BluRay (thin, black, hardly visible)
Pioneer DV-668AV-S (primarily for CDs as it's a magnificent CD-player, but possibly also running DVDs here)
Denon 2807 (receiver, used as prepro only)
Marantz MM-9000 (4 of 5 channels used for the surrounds)
Rotel 1090 (one channel used for the center)
Ino cr80es (small box on the diagonal - subwoofer/fronts control crossover and infrasonics boost)
NAD 208 (for the subwoofers, three for each channel)
Rotel 1090 (for the fronts)

Under construction:

Last edited by Nightlord; 09-10-2014 at 05:27 AM.
post #607 of 628 Old 09-15-2014, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Measurements show a few room modes that still needs taming, will be trying an Anti-Mode 2.0 DualCore and see what it can do for me.

Under construction:
post #608 of 628 Old 09-15-2014, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Primary axial modes? Or other?
post #609 of 628 Old 09-15-2014, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm not close to an expert on this, but I'd say other perhaps?

Response is nice up to 70 where there is a shallow dip, then it peaks around 100 to dip down around 120 and then it goes up again to dip yet again around 360.

Under construction:
post #610 of 628 Old 09-15-2014, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

70 is often the primary vertical mode (resonance between floor and ceiling). 100+ will definitely be "other."
post #611 of 628 Old 09-15-2014, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, then that one isn't much of a worry, it's not that deep... the ceiling is diffusing to some degree and the floor is carpeted and the two different floor heights probably distribute it somewhat as well.

But since I don't intend on doing any significant acoustical rebuilds (besides a few I've planned but not gotten around to - moving to AT screen will definitely change the ball game later on) it's definitely going to be interesting to see what the Anti-Mode can do.

Under construction:
post #612 of 628 Old 09-17-2014, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It definitely flattens things out. Biggest drawback of it - it really takes its time sweeping.

Another problem is finding out what the best setup of the controls in my filter is before running and which I should not use until antimode is done... several degrees of freedom...

Under construction:
post #613 of 628 Old 09-17-2014, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hej Nightlord.

Got a link to your build thread from reading in the huge Atmos thread and got curious. Fast forward several hours later I have read the thread in its entirety. Since we're both computer science guys and are located in Sweden, will you pitch in and do the work I have postponed by reading your thread?

On a more serious note, what speakers are you using for your surrounds?
post #614 of 628 Old 09-17-2014, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hej!

Depends on what kind of work it is!

I'm using almost entirely the speakers from Ingvar Öhman - Ino Audio. (Apart from the front high and front wide (which aren't yet connected to anything yet) which are Carlsson)

The surrounds are Ino Audio ambiens2 (a2)

(not my picture, but one of the best I can find, paint job says that this is a DIY-kit (or repainted ones))

Price about $1000 each ( if you go DIY version (no woodworking needed, cabinet is pre-made) they're cheaper and you get discount when buying 6 or more ).

( Front speakers are i32s, center is i16s, subwoofers are InfraY-6. )

Under construction:

Last edited by Nightlord; 09-17-2014 at 04:27 AM.
post #615 of 628 Old 09-17-2014, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Have been trying out different combinations of adjustment levels and at the 11th combination out of the twelve I intended to do I got this result:

(Yes, the Anti-Mode is from Finland so it has Swedish language as an option.)

Guess I don't even dare to sneeze on the cables now!

Under construction:
post #616 of 628 Old 09-18-2014, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I knew I had to recalibrate the receiver once I had this nailed down, but I got a tip on a Swedish forum that the delay of this device ended up as a 1.3m extra distance when recalibrating, so I gave that a shot adding that manually and now the slight worry I had about its transparency at higher frequencies is gone. It will probably be set even more exact by a recalibration, but I don't need to do that now.

It sounds very clean in the bass range now, and as expected a bit anemic unless you go on and tilt the curve. I tried the quick fix and did a general tilt of 2dB and that gave me what I was looking for in the Quantum of Solace prelude (bottom end to the machinegun shots for instance).

I will of course try out the options to tilt the bass in my crossover instead - that functionality is at the moment switched off.

But I feel I made a big leap forwards.

Under construction:
post #617 of 628 Old 09-18-2014, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This is position b (rear left seat and with the tilt done by the crossover, not the Anti-Mode, so it was be removed by a flick of a dip switch back to flat).

This is the kind of curve I was looking for, so I'm quite happy now.

Under construction:
post #618 of 628 Old 09-18-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks pretty awesome. How does it go between seats?
post #619 of 628 Old 09-18-2014, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have just made adjustments for MLP and this seat, as they are the ones I will be using, rest of the family aren't as picky. To switch between them I only click on profile A or B on the remote to the Anti-Mode.

If I sit in seat B with the A profile, the curve will be more a plateau up to 30, then fall off slightly faster and a little less straight. Much much better than I would have guessed before I measured it, though. So I think all seats are quite ok.

Under construction:
post #620 of 628 Old 09-22-2014, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Have noted a tiny background hiss, will be a job for the upcoming afternoon to find out if it's coming from the Anti-mode or somewhere else (with all these cables...) But if needed, I'll try out the Benchmark DAC1 after the anti-mode, should do the trick in that case, but it'll probably require some more measurements to get the levels correct.

What I did do yesterday was to try out some Xbox (360) and I'm quite impressed. That's actually the third time it's managed to impress me. First time when going HD on it, 2nd time was when I had my Kuro pro-calibrated and then now. One does not expect to miss out on so many details. It was actually totally possible to drive Forza III in the in-car mode. Sound was also way better, which surprised me, because out tvroom setup is great sounding system, but I'm not complaining about having put together something significantly better.

Under construction:
post #621 of 628 Old 09-22-2014, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Reduced the setting for digital overhead and that took the hiss down, so I never got further than moving the Benchmark. Couldn't connect it anyway - it needed optical from the Anti-mode, I generally don't have that around as I prefer the electric one. There's actually slightly more noice in the center channel now and it does not bass the antimode. If it's a problem to deal with at all, it's probably a cable one, as that's the only remaining one of bipack grade (=poor shielding).

Xbox steering wheel and pedals now moved to cinema.

Under construction:
post #622 of 628 Old 09-25-2014, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Some lighting being tested. RGB LEDtape over screen and some downlights to see where you're going. Quite content.

Picture is by iPad, so it's not as sharp - but it's rather good at letting darkness stay dark!

Have found some other nice mood lamps (and I have an idea to improve them with some DIY too) and I will continue the LEDtape down along the sides.

Under construction:
post #623 of 628 Old 09-25-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 92
The little things like that really make a difference. Looks good!

------

post #624 of 628 Old 09-25-2014, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thanks.

LEDtape on the sides too. Slightly over the distance limit stated for the kit, but I don't notice any loss in brightness and it takes hours for the wall plug to get hot and it's not supposed to be lit more than minutes, really, so no issue there.

Downlights on the left hand side put up too. With LEDtape and downlights lit, there's definitely enough light to find your seat. The planned extra lights will add a little more, so that's fine. (It's not enough to vacuum by once the people has left, though.)

Under construction:
post #625 of 628 Old 09-27-2014, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just saw the fresh interview with Dennis Erskine and as I've read more about him than from him, I really didn't know what to expect, but I'm quite happily surprised - he gave about all the 'right' answers and ducked in the 'right' places too. So I'll for sure be rating any advice read from him higher in the future.

Of course, there has to be an exception to any rule - I definitely don't agree on that a good room for cinema cannot be a good room for stereo. But possibly one needs to adress it backwards - making a room good for stereo and then choosing surround speakers that work in that kind of environment. All the good work on room modes and subwoofers applies equally to a 2.2 setup as for multichannel.
just jim likes this.

Under construction:
post #626 of 628 Old 09-28-2014, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bought myself a couple of wall lamps that looks like this, which I intended to mount below some of the side surrounds:

Mounted they look like this:

Which I very well could have been content with, but looking more closely at them they looked like this inside:

Thats 16" LEDtape. And being a standard length that invites some modding:

The shade back on:

And then it can look like this instead:

Much more fun/appropriate! And with a flexible choice of colour.

Under construction:
post #627 of 628 Old 09-28-2014, 04:56 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Nice work Nightlord! I like those sconces.
post #628 of 628 Old Yesterday, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Managed to find two more in this town's store, so I don't have to wait until the one close to home restocks in two weeks.

Under construction:
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
carlsson , ino audio , nad 208 , rotel 1090

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page