The Larch Theater (a not-a-19.6-system) - Page 24 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes
post #691 of 693 Unread Today, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by just jim View Post
Yikes! That is about the weight of my 42" wide front door. If they don't have recommendations for hinges...I have 3 - 5" ball bearing hinges on mine. Four wouldn't hurt. Pre-drill the screw holes, preferably with a tapered drill the size of the screw shaft (without the threads). This will maximize the holding power of the screw without splitting the wood (which happens when you do not drill...the screw acts like a wedge). Make sure you either have a 38mm + thick door jamb or lumber behind to back it up with screws long enough to get into the lumber. If you go with the thick jamb, the screws should be longer than the thickness of the jamb. Here, we have "exterior door jams" that are 38-45mm with a 12.7mm rebate cut into them. The door sits in the rebate and therefore doesn't need door stop. You can also fit a seal into the rebate. One of the surface mounted drop down seals can take care of the bottom. You can also hide the drop down seal in the bottom edge of the door. I like to mount the hinges on the door and then shim it into the opening to get the gaps right all around and then mark the jamb with a knife for the top of each hinge. If the hinges are "open" the leaf will span across the gap onto the edge of the jamb to make it easy to mark. Note that even with a 5" hinge on a 1 3/4" door, the hinge should only be 1 1/2 - 1 3/8" onto the edge of the door so that it isn't seen on the backside of the door.
Good luck!
PS Is this going on the roof of your car?
The door comes with the doorframe and hinges. I built the inner wall for a standard door package 900x2100mm. It's just the handle and lock cylinder that's not included. I won't be surprised it there are seals in the frame already, 40dB probably isn't that easy to achieve.

They deliver by truck and at that price, freight is free of charge (or baked into their price to start with, rather).

Mounting the doorframe will be done with these:

Under construction: the Larch theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 693 Unread Today, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post
Mounting the doorframe will be done with these:
Ikea?

Winterfell theatre build - working title
post #693 of 693 Unread Today, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by just jim View Post
Ikea?
No, that's the standard screw for doorframes and windows over here. Two screws in one.

Under construction: the Larch theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
carlsson , ino audio , nad 208 , rotel 1090

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page