post #451 of 1036 Old 04-06-2013, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Many thanks to all for the congratulations. Admittedly, sleep has been at a premium around these parts but I hear it gets better in a few weeks, so here's hoping!

LOL. I take it this is your first child? Congratulations. They are super cute when they're little.

Jonny 5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1036 Old 04-23-2013, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Small update. I received in my large size Kane Carpet sample in the Obsidian color. Generally speaking, I still really like this carpet style. I also received all of the TK Living fabric swatches so here are some photos of everything lined up together. I realize the wood is unfinished at this point and that I may end up with acoustic fabric from Guilford of Maine or another vendor, but this is a first layout of trying to piece everything together so I can get an idea of what direction to go with the staining.

Kane Charming Obsidian with all 15 TK Living fabric swatches that I ordered:

Kane Charming Stonehenge with all 15 samples FWIW:

With wood sample

My top four choices out of all the TK Living samples:

Another close up of the top four fabrics, with flash:

Family shot with Obsidian carpet:

You may have noticed a push plate in the above photo. Here is a close-up. This was a surprise gift given to me by my father-in-law who worked for American Steel Foundry in Alliance, OH up until the day it closed its doors for good. My FIL's office was in one of the original buildings built in the late 1920s and this push plate was on his office door (he was the HR Manager there). It was hand-made at the foundry by one of the craftsmen back in the 1920s and this is the only one as far as he knows. My plan is to have it Nickel plated and mount it to the theater door.

OPINIONS ENCOURAGED!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #453 of 1036 Old 04-23-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I like the dark carpet. The swathes that jump out at me are in the first photo, at the top of the carpet, #4 and #6 from left. #4 being the one I like more.

The solid red swath you picked is also nice. The black/gold patterned fabric would also be nice, but I htink you'd need something to break the room up between the carpet and wall fabric (ie a painted wainscoting or something). I would be worried with too much dark.. I envision art deco as having some sort of bold color. Maybe JustJim can chime in.

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #454 of 1036 Old 04-23-2013, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I like the dark carpet as well and of the fabric you've chosen the red would be my choice. I like some of the fabrics with a bolder pattern but I wouldn't pair them with your carpet. I think too much pattern could be a bit overwhelming. Are the fabric samples you've got there acoustically transparent?

- Under Construction

post #455 of 1036 Old 04-23-2013, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I'm definitely pushing for Obsidian. I'm actually surprised that I find myself preferring the more ornate patterns among the TK Living choices. My gut reaction is the obsidian with the fabric all the way to the right of the bottom row (Garbo red and brown?)

The push plate is killer! Congratulations on the excellent gift.

post #456 of 1036 Old 04-23-2013, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I am definitely going with the Obsidian carpet....I just happened to have the Stonehenge sample right there and decided to take a few other shots because it was easy to do.

My wife and I were also of the opinion that we needed a very neutral pattern in the fabric because of the strong pattern in the carpet. This would also keep with the cleaner side of the style (Style Moderne). I like the idea of a bold color, especially the rich reds, but there's also something to be said for one of those monochromatic-type color schemes. Jautor's Rock Creek Cinema immediately jumps to mind as does LandShark's. I picked out the solid (which actually has a bit of a shimmer to it), but I was also leaning toward the red with the wood grain look to the pattern, called the Astair style.

Mr. Tim - here is a professional picture of the circular geometric pattern you like called "Cooper":

Fred - Here are two professional shots of the two different Garbo fabric styles with the reddish hues (Photos from TK Living used with Fair Use):

JamesB - Yes, all of the acoustic treatments are acoustically transparent. If you go back to the previous page I embedded the full TK Living fabric catalog which shows each fabric has been tested, although some would clearly be more transparent than others. For example, the solid Monroe is much thinner than the heavier Garbo styles which are actually quite thick.

Keep the feedback coming! Oh, and I have actual progress pictures to post as well. I am very close to insulating and closing up the walls in the theater.

post #457 of 1036 Old 04-23-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesB77 View Post

I like the dark carpet as well and of the fabric you've chosen the red would be my choice. I like some of the fabrics with a bolder pattern but I wouldn't pair them with your carpet. I think too much pattern could be a bit overwhelming. Are the fabric samples you've got there acoustically transparent?

Yeah, I think I agree with this. Too much pattern could gt a bit busy. I think you are on the right track with the solid red fabric.

When I look at the pro photo of "Cooper" the pattern is a bit overwhelming do to the landscape it takes up. If it were broken into smaller pieces probably not so bad.

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #458 of 1036 Old 04-24-2013, 07:26 AM

Liked: 15
Thanks Tim, I downloaded it so that I can keep it handy.

- Under Construction

post #459 of 1036 Old 04-24-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Great picks here TMcG - I don't think you can go wrong. Glad you decided on the Obsidian carpet; that is by far my favorite. And I like the first and third swatches in your pic with the exit light (the red and darker solid brown color). Let's see these progress pics!

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:

post #460 of 1036 Old 04-24-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Agree with others in that the wall fabric should not have much of a pattern since the carpet is very elaborate. And maybe not a very dark fabric either.

What wood sample is that in the picture with the fabrics?

That video was incredible. Where did you obtain the sample? That would be a great story to tell for guests in the theater. I might be a bit worried about the reflections from the iridescence but the cool factor could outweigh it.

post #461 of 1036 Old 04-24-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

I like the dark carpet. The swathes that jump out at me are in the first photo, at the top of the carpet, #4 and #6 from left. #4 being the one I like more.

The solid red swath you picked is also nice. The black/gold patterned fabric would also be nice, but I htink you'd need something to break the room up between the carpet and wall fabric (ie a painted wainscoting or something). I would be worried with too much dark.. I envision art deco as having some sort of bold color. Maybe JustJim can chime in.

Tim
I like the reds on either side as well as the 3rd one from the bottom left but like Mr Tim said the patterend fabric and carpet may be toooo much

post #462 of 1036 Old 04-24-2013, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Am I in trouble?

Given the Obsidian Carpet, I was following the burgundies through the photos. So of the four, the Burgundy, IMHO.

I would wet the mahogany to see what it would look like with a natural finish (if only as a starting point!) and put it with the burgundy fabric. It may be too much red, or not. But it would help you decide where, if anywhere, you want to go with the staining, from natural.

Try standing the wetted mahogany against the wall, standing on the edge of the carpet with the fabric above and place the alabaster beside it, ideally, all lit with the type of light that will be your main lighting in the theater. This is so the floor material is horizontal and the wall material is vertical and in their final juxtaposition. Sometimes the orientation will change how you see them (reflected light and all that). (Picture please). Leave it set-up in some place that you will walk by often (kitchen counter with the valence lighting on and off?). See if it grows on you, or not. The only issue is the wood; wet, it is vibrant and showing reds, dry it is not and not relevant to the other colours. If you have a second sample, I would sacrifice one and put a coat of urethane on it. You can include all four fabrics (or even the others) and pull away the ones you decide against. The favored ones having time against the Alabaster. There is something called "edge effect" that can effect how you like two colours together when they are together.

Living life on a limb, I'd be curious to see a larger sample of the top row #6 and bottom row #4 (from left), favouring #4. The panels would have to proportional to the pattern. But as has been said you have to be careful about "busyness".

Great job so far! Getting any sleep?smile.gif

theatre build - working title
post #463 of 1036 Old 04-24-2013, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Simply,

I love the Obsidian color and pattern, I think IMHO if you go with a fabric that has a pattern or much of anything other than a little texture it will be too much. So my vote is for the simple burgundy swatch. Nuf said.

That "push" plate is very classy nice of your FIL to pass it along.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #464 of 1036 Old 04-24-2013, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Tim,
I am assuming you have seen these videos, but posting it just in case you did not. Thought you would appreciate the style! I have always seen Theo's work pics but never the videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8zsm4_twvQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04YLqj1Sb1Q

And this one is a different designer! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjrju7gmwPQ

Watch in HD setting on youtube I was gasping at the opulence!

post #465 of 1036 Old 04-24-2013, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 257
That push plate is awesome! I'm seriously coveting that thing!

I'm with RT on the fabric. In a large room I think the patterned fabric and the patterned carpet work because of the space. In a small space (relatively speaking) I would be concerned about it looking too busy. I think the same could be said for all the art deco design details. They look awesome, but I think there is a delicate balance between getting the look and having it look like too much was stuffed into the space.

I'm not worried, though. You seem to have a good feel for this design business, and so far all the things you've put together look awesome!

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

post #466 of 1036 Old 04-25-2013, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBenji View Post

Let's see these progress pics!

Thanks for your feedback Benji. I've been super-slammed at work this past week with two major projects due by tomorrow. I'll get to it by Sunday night so I can take my time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

What wood sample is that in the picture with the fabrics?

That video was incredible. Where did you obtain the sample? That would be a great story to tell for guests in the theater. I might be a bit worried about the reflections from the iridescence but the cool factor could outweigh it.

That wood sample is African Mahogany. I have already purchased the veneer on a special buy and all I have left to buy is the solid stock for the moldings once I decide on a profile and how much I will need. Regarding the Ancient Kauri, the only distributor in the United States is Ancientwood and they sent me a few samples which I can photograph and post here if you like and FWIW. Like I said, the veneer was relatively affordable, the solid stock was insane and completely out of budget. I would easily have had $12000+ just in the wood for the moldings if I went that route. There are not really reflections from the iridescence, but it does have a cool hologram-type look to it which is an effect you really have to see in person to believe. I found a better video that really shows the effect - insane!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post

I like the reds on either side as well as the 3rd one from the bottom left but like Mr Tim said the patterend fabric and carpet may be toooo much

Agreed. My wife and I "lived" with the carpet sample and all the fabrics on the kitchen island and it became pretty apparent to my eyes that with that carpet it would be tough to introduce any other pattern, especially a bold pattern. The solids are actually not solid colors, but a mixture to give an overall tone. I may try scanning the actual swatch sample into a jpg so everyone can see the tonal variations built into the "solid" fabric. It's really nice stuff (called the Monroe style) and it fortunately is also the least expensive!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by just jim View Post

I would wet the mahogany to see what it would look like with a natural finish (if only as a starting point!) and put it with the burgundy fabric. It may be too much red, or not. But it would help you decide where, if anywhere, you want to go with the staining, from natural. Try standing the wetted mahogany against the wall, standing on the edge of the carpet with the fabric above and place the alabaster beside it, ideally, all lit with the type of light that will be your main lighting in the theater. This is so the floor material is horizontal and the wall material is vertical and in their final juxtaposition. ....Getting any sleep?smile.gif

Hey Jim. I agree. The same lights that are in my kitchen (halogens) will be used for general lighting around the perimeter of the theater. I've wet the wood before, but I will wet it again in the position you mentioned to take some photographs to post. Am I getting any sleep? Sadly, little to no broken sleep has been the way things have been going the last couple of weeks. (GRRR). Hopefully things will get better in the next few weeks. That, or the home theater and all of its soundproofing will become the new nursery and I can just shut the door!! Kidding, of course!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Simply,

I love the Obsidian color and pattern, I think IMHO if you go with a fabric that has a pattern or much of anything other than a little texture it will be too much. So my vote is for the simple burgundy swatch. Nuf said.

That "push" plate is very classy nice of your FIL to pass it along.

Regards,

RTROSE

Thanks for the feedback RT. Like I said above, I will scan the fabric because it is actually multi-colored but looks like a solid. The official name of the color is "Cocoa". I'll do a better job and get all of the top picks scanned and posted so you can really see what I am seeing. And yes, that push plate was actually on the door to his shed for the last 10 years. Once he saw I was doing an Art Deco theater he surprised me with it. I think it's kind-of cool to have a little family trinket incorporated that also makes sense in the design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikgrao View Post

I am assuming you have seen these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04YLqj1Sb1Q

Thanks for the video links Vik! You are right, I have seen these and actually have these shows saved on my DirecTV DVR. If you look at the video in the link I highlighted above, the color of the wood at 2:30 in is what I am looking at for as my first choice of stain color. Thanks for the links and feel free to post any more you find here in the thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

That push plate is awesome! I'm seriously coveting that thing!

I'm with RT on the fabric. In a large room I think the patterned fabric and the patterned carpet work because of the space. In a small space (relatively speaking) I would be concerned about it looking too busy. I think the same could be said for all the art deco design details. They look awesome, but I think there is a delicate balance between getting the look and having it look like too much was stuffed into the space.

I'm not worried, though. You seem to have a good feel for this design business, and so far all the things you've put together look awesome!

Agreed. I am awesome -lol! tongue.gif Seriously though, I completely understand what you are saying and whole-heartedly agree. I don't want to jam a bunch of design elements into every nook and cranny. Parsing things down and focusing in on a few themes is always the most difficult, especially for a non "blank sheet of paper" kind of guy like myself. But I will constantly be holding myself back to stay with the clean lines I am looking for. I really can't wait until the CAD is complete for my column design. I hired a guy to make a CAD of my metal column insert so I could also get a tool path file for laser cutting. He also has the ability to do rendering and a whole lot more so I have decided to spend the extra $$ and have the whole column modeled in CAD and rendered to help flush out the structure and design. I think you'll like what I came up with when you see it. I made an original deco pattern for the metal work based off design cues I found on this Great Gatsby advance poster for the DiCaprio movie that's coming out next month.

The style is instantly deco and will provide a cool backlight shadow when only the columns are lit. I've also made one other final decision - I am going to go full bore with the polished nickel finish on these - no matte, satin or otherwise brushed finish. I know you shouldn't put shiny stuff in a theater and it shouldn't be a problem, but hey - if it doesn't work I could always take a Scotchbrite pad to it to tame any reflections.

Thanks gentlemen! More to come soon....I was just taking a much-needed coffee break since I have been working from 2:15AM this morning - ugh!

post #467 of 1036 Old 04-25-2013, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 126
That poster is just so... WOW.... I just may have to do something similar too!

Under construction:
post #468 of 1036 Old 04-27-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I have heard the great gatsby is the best 3D to date I may go see it

post #469 of 1036 Old 04-27-2013, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Nice man when I seen the preview for The Great Gatsby I really loved the use of Art Deco. I was surprised that the movies in 3D to be honest. I also noticed the original TGG just came out on Blu-ray too.
Dusty T likes this.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #470 of 1036 Old 05-14-2013, 10:13 PM

Liked: 11
Wonderful build. Very excited to follow!!!
post #471 of 1036 Old 05-15-2013, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I'm interested in how the veneer works. I don't anything about it. Do you buy paint grade molding and then attach the veneer yourself? What about for soffits or walls? I still struggle with how to go dark while avoiding dreary. Wood seems to be able to pull that off better than anything.

I know you have walnut floors above. Did you consider walnut for trim, or too dark for your color scheme?

post #472 of 1036 Old 05-15-2013, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post

I'm interested in how the veneer works. I don't anything about it. Do you buy paint grade molding and then attach the veneer yourself? What about for soffits or walls? I still struggle with how to go dark while avoiding dreary. Wood seems to be able to pull that off better than anything.

I know you have walnut floors above. Did you consider walnut for trim, or too dark for your color scheme?

I'll answer your second question first. We put in the pre-finished Brazilian Walnut 3/4" solid flooring from Lumber Liquidators about 2 weeks after moving in to our new home. The entire house has painted white trim, so we kept with that and added a piece of shoe molding painted in the same color. We have a very open, light house so we have never thought of the floors as being too dark, especially with our wall and trim color, but I'll let you be the judge. Here's a pic taken a few minutes ago:

The veneer is a completely different beast. I will be using 3/4" Baltic Birch plywood to attach all the veneer. There is a lot of specialized equipment for attaching 4' x 8' sheets of veneer so I don't have to use the old method of contact cement, dowels and a j-roller with lots of weight set on top afterwards until the glue dries. I decided to employ professional services and found a local custom furniture maker who was willing to help (for a fee). He has a veneer glue spray gun and vacuum press that can accommodate full-size plywood sheets. So after everything is veneered onto 4x8 sheets I will be using their finishing booth to finish all the veneer while it is still in full sheets to make things easy. And I am not just talking about the stain, but the satin finish coat as well if I don't go with a French polish. Once I have all the fully-finished veneer, I will then use their table saw (or they will do it) to rip all the plywood into the dimensions I need to form the rails and stiles of all the wall veneer work and the larger dimensions for the underside of the soffit. All pieces will be labeled and I will essentially be bringing home dimensional lumber. I'll assemble frames using my Kreg jib and construction adhesive, taking care not to mar the finish. The frames will attach to the wall with a bit of construction adhesive and screws in spots that will be covered by moldings. One this is complete I will be installing all the columns, which will be built and veneered as an assembly. From there all I have to do is install the solid moldings....but here again I will be taking all of my molding stock to the furniture shop and using their finish booth so I am essentially installing pre-finished material. I will be using the 2" pin nails where I can to avoid filling holes on finished material as much as possible.

As for the color of the stain, I have another AVS member who is helping me out with that to dial in the right stain color for both the veneer stock and the solid stock since I will most-likely be using two different tones of stain. Does this answer your questions as to my approach for the finish carpentry?

post #473 of 1036 Old 05-16-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 143
^man i love the variation in color in that wood, its awesome!!!!
post #474 of 1036 Old 05-16-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Does this answer your questions as to my approach for the finish carpentry?

Yeah, thanks. I had to read it a few times for it to sink in. I want to do the same for my theater to make it look good without breaking the bank on material costs. Your walnut floors are a lot lighter and more varied than what we have, so I guess I just had a different picture in my head. Floor looks nice.

post #475 of 1036 Old 05-16-2013, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post

Your walnut floors are a lot lighter and more varied than what we have, so I guess I just had a different picture in my head. Floor looks nice.

Well, the sun was beaming straight in when I took that pic. Here's a few from six years ago right before we moved in that show a little bit more what the floors look like under normal lighting FWIW. They are a bit darker.

You guessed it....right after 6 straight hours of painting two coats my wife overruled herself on that green color she just "had to have"...quick $150 in paint and effort right down the tubes...rolleyes.gif

A bit dusty, but shot right after the install tools and saws got packed up

post #476 of 1036 Old 05-24-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Love the flooring. Looks beautifull! We have similar looking oak wood flooring we just had redone in our living room. It was under our carpet and had been there since the house was built in the 60's and was just itching to get redone.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #477 of 1036 Old 06-05-2013, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Good choice on the flooring, I have the same on my main floor. I just wish I had better UV coated windows. I've had a lot of fading over the past 5 years.

(flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #478 of 1036 Old 06-05-2013, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks design1st. When we built the house, North Carolina had JUST passed a statewide code that all windows had to be Low-E. Well, code compliance was judged by when the building permit was granted, not when the house was finished. Despite arguing with the builder for about 3 weeks and offering to pay the differential in price, I ended up with double-pane clear glass windows. There are a lot of windows where blinds and window treatments weren't practical so almost immediately I had some window tinting people in to apply some high-tech 3M nanotechnology film from their Prestige series: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Window_Film/Solutions/Markets-Products/Residential/Sun_Control_Window_Films/Prestige_Series/ (mine does not show darker on the outside like their current product). The bottom line is within two weeks of moving in I had these films installed which filter almost 100% of the UV. Seven years later and I can tell you there is absolutely no difference between wood illuminated by the sun every day (especially in the front foyer) and wood in the shade or even under rugs. I've been very happy with their product, albeit expensive at around $11 per square foot. Living in the south, the heat rejection from the sun also makes it much more comfortable inside the house.

Also.....

Progress Update:
Aside from hours of critical staring I completed over the past two months by simply standing in the theater, I have made some progress by finishing the two layers of drywall in the ceiling, installing the HVAC supplies and starting to install the wall decoupling brackets. I am also a bit negligent in my posting of my column design "stuff" for general comment before things go into fabrication.

Work has been pretty brutal for me the last couple of months with lots of travel and many high-priority projects taking up most of my free time, even over weekends. The good news is that I will be wrapping up some travel this week and starting to hit the theater hard again to get it through the drywall shell at a minimum. And.......oh yeah, this bundle of cuteness has also been taking up quite a bit of time (mostly sleeping time, unfortunately), but it's been very worthwhile.

PaulFSemicolen likes this.

post #479 of 1036 Old 06-05-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGHnSRgzrms

For all the parents out there. wink.gif
post #480 of 1036 Old 06-19-2013, 11:37 PM

Liked: 70
I was #30000.... congrats... can't wait to see your theater come to life......

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page