OK, finally time to put some meat on the bone with this build thread. First, as much as I want to have a fancy set of digital drawings - either CAD, Sketch-UP or renderings - the simple fact of the matter is that I cannot share the CAD drawings produced for me by Erskine Group without permission, I decided not
to spend the $600 - $1000 it was going to cost to have the room rendered, and after tinkering around in Sketch-Up for a couple of hours I realized that it was going to take far more commitment to learn this program to develop useful drawings than I wanted to spend. Aside from wasting time learning a program I would likely never use again, there would have been duplication of effort once I hired Dennis since he would be developing CAD drawings. Perhaps at some point I can post a redacted CAD drawing similar to what others have posted, but I don't have anything at the moment.
That being said, I am sharing my original hand drawings that I cranked out roughly to scale in a single afternoon a couple of months ago as a basis for my design. For each drawing there are items that have changed which I will describe in each photo's caption. I never went back with an eraser and edited the drawings simply because it was not worth the effort, for example, to redraw all of the seating and riser base to move everything forward 4 inches.
The ceiling plan. Changes include:
- Riser base extends all the way to the right side wall instead of being symmetrical
- Perimeter soffit not shown
- Curved baffle wall replaced with straight baffle wall and curved screen wall
- 4" of Acoustic treatments as noted for the back wall were not going to happen. Acoustic treatments for the room tentatively planned with 2" Quest panels, budget allowing.
- Infinite Baffle manifolds are being changed to arrays and repositioned
- Seating is being moved slightly forward to get the side speakers for both rows in the 100 degree to 110 degree range
- Curve of screen is exacerbated vs. reality. Curve is more gentle.
The front elevation. Changes include:
- Top of the screen frame will be recessed into the soffit to improve site lines for the second row of seating
- Sand-filled proscenium eliminated as IB chamber will be built
- IB subwoofers will be 2 x 18" Fi Car Audio subwoofers in 2 arrays, positioned approximately under the left and right speakers
Side elevations in mirror image from front to back. Changes include:
- P6 speaker in rear side column have been elevated to the top of the column
- Acoustic panels have been specified for surface mounting on the door
- Chair rail height has been slightly lowered by Dennis Erskine to increase recommended acoustic treatment surface area at ear height above the chair rail
Rear elevation. Changes include:
- Speakers elevated to the top of the columns
- Riser base extended all the way to the right wall (left side of the drawing)
Front screen edge detail sketch (done in less than 5 minutes and NOT to scale) Comments:
- Art Deco detail is not shown and will be added to the curved part of the columns
- "Baffle wall" should actually read "Screen wall"
- Not to scale, but each "column" has about 6.5" wide expoure to the room. Actual construction details shown, but subject to revision when I get to that stage.
One of my original ideas was to "float" the acoustic panels above the chair rail about an inch off the wall to either create a shadow line or to back-illuminate the panels with a LED lighting. This design feature may or may not happen as I still have to do some thinking about it. Any comments or suggestions are welcome. I am fairly committed to the gentle curve on the tops of the panels - a bit more expensive from a panel molding perspective, but worth the price for the decorative detail IMHO.
Next up....some pics of the room as it stood a month or so ago.