post #31 of 992 Old 11-30-2012, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

I really like that masking system. Does that ride in any sort of a channel along the side or does it just free fall like a window blind would? Also, does it ride down on top of the screen or does it sit a short distance away.
This is going to be fun to watch, good luck.

The masking system simply hangs down and falls free, so it is not in a channel. I am not sure how close the masking system gets to the screen material itself because I don't have and have not installed the screen material from Seymour yet. I will be keen to find out the questions to this myself. But no matter what, the engineering was done by Stewart Filmscreen, so I am sure whatever spacing they have there is a very specific reason.

The masking system uses Somfy motors, but not the completely silent ones. They are quiet, but you would think for a $19,000 screen at full retail that they would have the best available components. I guess the dumb luck I came across is that all but 1-2" of the top of the screen frame will be recessed into my soffit so that will definitely kill most of the noise when the panels are going up or down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 992 Old 11-30-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Good info, thank you. It will be interesting to see that come together. It looks like that would be relatively easy to emulate from a DIY perspective.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #33 of 992 Old 11-30-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post

I'm liking the theme a lot. Looking forward to see the architectural elements to display the art deco look.

Glad to have you subscribed. I thought I was the only one who really liked the Art Deco look but apparently I am very mistaken from all the interest. I really would like yours and everyone else's opinion if all the Art Deco elements I put together are cohesive. There is also some custom metalwork I will be having fabricated for which I am a bit wandering on the design.

One thing is for sure....you'd better be well-stocked with buckets of Green Glue and sealant because the big order is coming your way shortly. After you and I talked, I bit the bullet and bought enough 5/8" drywall to do two layers on the underside of my first floor subfloor (between the joists in the ceiling theater) to quell the footfall noise. Between this soundproofing addition and my decision to go the extra mile and use Green Glue in between double layers on the soffit to surround the mechanical systems that are not movable, make noise and need to be dealt with.

Fair warning - when I post some pics of the room I know you will latch onto a triple leaf situation I have going on with the one side of the theater and the stairwell, but it's too late to really change it. Maybe you have a work-around suggestion. To any extent, I'm glad to have you along for the ride!
post #34 of 992 Old 11-30-2012, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post

Congrats on the baby on the way. You definitely have something to motivate you to get it all done sooner than later. So you'll be used to being sleep deprived when the baby arrives. smile.gif
This is going to be a great build thread. Tim was extremely helpful and always pushing great advice my way in my thread.
Looking forward to following along and hoping in some small way I can help too.

Thanks! This is our first child and we found out just last week that we will be having a boy. No name yet, but we are compiling a short list.

As I said in your thread, you are still CEO of MIH (Makin' It Happen) with your determination to tackle your incredible theater with such great detail in design, planning and execution. But you are right - I have a VERY high motivation to keep the pressure on and get things done. I don't know if you saw in another post, but like a lot of these basement theater builds, I am concurrently finishing the basement, as you can see from all the construction materials in my projection screen photos.

I was happy to throw a little advice your way and I certainly look forward to some advice from you as I go through the process. I am sure there is a thousand different things for which I will need to poll advice from your expertise and the forum on how to accomplish.

Thanks for subscribing and following along. I'll try my best to live up to your expectations of this thread!!
post #35 of 992 Old 11-30-2012, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I'm impressed by all the images you've collected to use as creative database

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #36 of 992 Old 11-30-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 91
This will be interesting to watch, tough I'm not an Art Deco purist - rather I have a love for Steampunk, but the two do cross. smile.gif

Also like the Q*Bert avatar pic. biggrin.gif

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #37 of 992 Old 11-30-2012, 01:19 PM

Liked: 11
Looking forward to the build! Did you end up getting that light fixure for the pool table? You must be an ace to go with a 9 footer! Dual tap will be very cool - what are your first brews gonna be?
post #38 of 992 Old 11-30-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

My intent was to keep this thread focused on the theater, but I can certainly sprinkle in some pictures of the basement if everyone would like to see the concurrent progress...
Oh, we want to see pictures of the rest of the basement build, I assure you...

Subscribed! biggrin.gif

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #39 of 992 Old 11-30-2012, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post

This will be interesting to watch, tough I'm not an Art Deco purist - rather I have a love for Steampunk, but the two do cross. smile.gif

Tjenare Nightlord! Hur gör du?

I had never heard of Steampunk before, but after a quick search I see where the two styles would overlap. But I have to say I don't think the Art Deco style has any Steampunk Robot Zombie Nazis!

post #40 of 992 Old 11-30-2012, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs691919 View Post

Looking forward to the build! Did you end up getting that light fixture for the pool table? You must be an ace to go with a 9 footer! Dual tap will be very cool - what are your first brews gonna be?

I haven't bought the fixture yet because I am not at that stage and it would be something more to trip over or move out of my way 10,000 times until I needed it. It's a done deal, though.

First brews will probably be Yuengling and this incredible microbrew my neighbor makes. He has the system to put it in a five gallon keg, but the stuff is so "hoppy" you have to practically finish the whole thing in just a couple of weeks before it goes bad. (oh, darn) wink.gif
post #41 of 992 Old 11-30-2012, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post

Oh, we want to see pictures of the rest of the basement build, I assure you...
Subscribed! biggrin.gif

Thanks Chris. I'll see what I can do over this weekend. I did a fairly deep-level cleaning and organization, but I am very close to getting everything installed for rough electrical inspection. After that I get a bit of a break as I am hiring a drywall crew to come in and knock everything out but the theater, which I will be doing myself.

I'm still having a bit of trouble getting my plans converted into something that Photobucket (and this forum) can show correctly and be legible, but one of the first plans will give you a total overview of the entire basement, including the location of the theater. I know the glimpses you see may not look like much, but when you are one guy working on 1800 square feet of totally unfinished basement and travel a lot for work, things tend to move more slowly.

Thanks for subscribing and following along. Looking forward to your comments and feedback as I go through the process.
post #42 of 992 Old 11-30-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Hey congrats on getting the build thread started. I was tired of clicking the "non link" to see if you had started anything yet. Very ambitious project, but after following your comments and knowledge base on other threads I have no doubt that this will turnout to be a fantastic space.

I also am a member of using the wife's mode of transportation (SUV/minivan) as a pickup, whatever works (and save money too).

Oh, and as others have stated the more pics the better. No proof of progress without pics.

Congrats on the impending arrival nothing like a hard deadline to keep you motivated.

Excited to see this come together for you.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #43 of 992 Old 11-30-2012, 07:08 PM

Liked: 13
post #44 of 992 Old 11-30-2012, 08:50 PM

Liked: 10
Sounds like we could start a "and you got all this stuff home how!!!" thread. (with pictures of course)

Like all others have said this will be a build to follow.
post #45 of 992 Old 12-01-2012, 02:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:

I had never heard of Steampunk before, but after a quick search I see where the two styles would overlap. But I have to say I don't think the Art Deco style has any Steampunk Robot Zombie Nazis!

Doing fine thanks. You too, I hope?

Ah, yes... None of those. *lol*

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #46 of 992 Old 12-01-2012, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post

For art deco see: Bioshock. Could be lots of design ideas in there too!

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
post #47 of 992 Old 12-01-2012, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

I was tired of clicking the "non link" to see if you had started anything yet.

Hey RT! Thanks for stopping by. You are right, I could probably fill a small library with PMs and good-natured ribbing in posts about my "non-link" link. But hey - I sincerely hope to make it worth the wait.

And don't worry, I have plenty of pictures to post and to catch up this thread to match the current status. Over the course of the weekend I will post my plans / blueprints, how the room started and the various phases of construction work I accomplished in the theater by this point, which is not much. Once I run out of pictures to post, I will definitely be on the hook for actual progress pics instead of history pics!

You are correct - that hard deadline (currently April 19th) will be here before I know it. I have a sinking feeling (know) that my travel schedule is really going to get crazy after the first of the year, making my time at home to work on the theater all the more limited. Most of the progress will therefore be in the next two months and then I think I will have to start mainlining crystal methamphetamine to tackle theater construction at a more aggressive pace, given the relative handful of days I am home here and there starting in February. biggrin.gif

It's a very good thing you are here....I have some carpet selections which need the professional advice of a certified carpet counselor!!
post #48 of 992 Old 12-01-2012, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben Van Duyl View Post

Subscribed!

Hey Gerben - thanks for subscribing! As you may have read, I hired Dennis Erskine and Quest Acoustics to make the most of your Procella speakers. Until now, I have NEVER bought any speaker on reputation alone. But the positive - almost fanatical - feedback was too much to ignore so I decided to make the investment. I have three P610s for the LCR and six P6s for the sides (two pairs) and rears. I would absolutely love to have dual P15 subwoofers to complete the full Procella system, but it was a stretch to buy what I did and the subwoofers were unfortunately too far out of budget.

Funny story . . . My wife and I had discussed what I was budgeting for a new speaker system, but I wasn't fully through the negotiation process (husbands, you know what I mean). I jumped the gun a bit by buying this speaker system when I had the right opportunity. I figured that I could set the speakers aside after they were delivered and slowly conclude the negotiation process...plus it would give me some time to work in a few nice dinners (husbands - again, you know what I mean). As misfortune would have it....when UPS dropped off all the speakers it happened to be on a day that my wife was home sick. Thankfully she was in bed resting at the time, but let's just say if she saw the HUGE pile of new speakers outside before she had a chance to digest my revised speaker budget, the "Procella Effect" would have taken on a completely different meaning!!! biggrin.gif I almost never keep her in the dark about anything, especially a large purchase. But she knew I had been thinking about (and budgeting for) this system for the last six years. She is just as excited for me to get the theater up and running for us to use, so all is well.
post #49 of 992 Old 12-02-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Absolutely!! It's a Cadillac SRX, so all the guys at 84 Lumber always get a chuckle when I start loading up and hauling out the lumber because they are so use to seeing only pickups and normal flat bed trucks. But hey, to get to the finish line I have to watch every last penny to make the budget work so delivery charges are not my friend.
I probably should've taken a picture of it, but I have hauled every last drop of framing lumber in this thing - even the 12' long 2 x 12s. My first load of 2 x 4 x 105s was so big that my tailgate was completely horizontal and the vehicle definitely showed a bit of strain on the rear suspension. Thankfully I have a V8 engine and am past most of the heavy hauling stage.
I'll post some pics a bit later today, but another friend and forum member, ten8yp, helped me with two huge loads of sheet material and insulation for the theater...it's literally piled chest high in one stack and waist high in another. In fact you'll probably see him pop in from time-to-time to help out in the construction.

I use my car to pickup additional lumber and PVC pipes. It works surprisingly well cool.gif

But when I had to return the extra PVC because I bought too many I used my wife's car...much better eek.gif
TMcG likes this.
post #50 of 992 Old 12-02-2012, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Two nice looking rides you have there. I have a company car, and my wife has an Altima. I know both my car and the Altima can handle 8 foot 2 x 4's bags of mulch, concrete pavers, shrubs, and Christmas Trees! I would really like to have a pickup though makes it much easier and less hassle for sure!

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #51 of 992 Old 12-03-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:

I haven't bought the fixture yet because I am not at that stage and it would be something more to trip over or move out of my way 10,000 times until I needed it. It's a done deal, though.
First brews will probably be Yuengling and this incredible microbrew my neighbor makes. He has the system to put it in a five gallon keg, but the stuff is so "hoppy" you have to practically finish the whole thing in just a couple of weeks before it goes bad. (oh, darn) wink.gif

Oh I hear ya. I'v been tripping over crap for months. I don't think we can get Yuengling here, but it's very popular in home kegerator systems. How are you setting up your system - undercounter or remote tap?
post #52 of 992 Old 12-03-2012, 12:58 PM

Liked: 15
Tim,

Good to see your build thread finally up. I'm looking forward to following it.

An Aspen Woods Theater - Under Construction

post #53 of 992 Old 12-05-2012, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

I use my car to pickup additional lumber and PVC pipes. It works surprisingly well cool.gif

I really like your PVC and lumber haulers / returners! Really sharp and probably the fastest deliveries in all of New Jersey! biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs691919 View Post

Oh I hear ya. I'v been tripping over crap for months. I don't think we can get Yuengling here, but it's very popular in home kegerator systems. How are you setting up your system - undercounter or remote tap?

I am going with the built-in undercounter system with the permanent dual tap tower mounted through the countertop. A remote system would be nice, but unless you are continuously pouring at a party or something, you waste a lot of beer just flushing the lines to get to the cold stuff. When I get to that stage in a month or so I'll be sure to post some pics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesB77 View Post

Tim,
Good to see your build thread finally up. I'm looking forward to following it.

Thanks James. Glad to have you following along. I've said it before, but I will try to live up to everyone's expectations and end up with the level of theater I envision.
post #54 of 992 Old 12-05-2012, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

OK, finally time to put some meat on the bone with this build thread. First, as much as I want to have a fancy set of digital drawings - either CAD, Sketch-UP or renderings - the simple fact of the matter is that I cannot share the CAD drawings produced for me by Erskine Group without permission, I decided not to spend the $600 - $1000 it was going to cost to have the room rendered, and after tinkering around in Sketch-Up for a couple of hours I realized that it was going to take far more commitment to learn this program to develop useful drawings than I wanted to spend. Aside from wasting time learning a program I would likely never use again, there would have been duplication of effort once I hired Dennis since he would be developing CAD drawings. Perhaps at some point I can post a redacted CAD drawing similar to what others have posted, but I don't have anything at the moment.

That being said, I am sharing my original hand drawings that I cranked out roughly to scale in a single afternoon a couple of months ago as a basis for my design. For each drawing there are items that have changed which I will describe in each photo's caption. I never went back with an eraser and edited the drawings simply because it was not worth the effort, for example, to redraw all of the seating and riser base to move everything forward 4 inches.

The ceiling plan. Changes include:
  • Riser base extends all the way to the right side wall instead of being symmetrical
  • Perimeter soffit not shown
  • Curved baffle wall replaced with straight baffle wall and curved screen wall
  • 4" of Acoustic treatments as noted for the back wall were not going to happen. Acoustic treatments for the room tentatively planned with 2" Quest panels, budget allowing.
  • Infinite Baffle manifolds are being changed to arrays and repositioned
  • Seating is being moved slightly forward to get the side speakers for both rows in the 100 degree to 110 degree range
  • Curve of screen is exacerbated vs. reality. Curve is more gentle.

The front elevation. Changes include:
  • Top of the screen frame will be recessed into the soffit to improve site lines for the second row of seating
  • Sand-filled proscenium eliminated as IB chamber will be built
  • IB subwoofers will be 2 x 18" Fi Car Audio subwoofers in 2 arrays, positioned approximately under the left and right speakers

Side elevations in mirror image from front to back. Changes include:
  • P6 speaker in rear side column have been elevated to the top of the column
  • Acoustic panels have been specified for surface mounting on the door
  • Chair rail height has been slightly lowered by Dennis Erskine to increase recommended acoustic treatment surface area at ear height above the chair rail

Rear elevation. Changes include:
  • Speakers elevated to the top of the columns
  • Riser base extended all the way to the right wall (left side of the drawing)

Front screen edge detail sketch (done in less than 5 minutes and NOT to scale) Comments:
  • Art Deco detail is not shown and will be added to the curved part of the columns
  • "Baffle wall" should actually read "Screen wall"
  • Not to scale, but each "column" has about 6.5" wide expoure to the room. Actual construction details shown, but subject to revision when I get to that stage.

One of my original ideas was to "float" the acoustic panels above the chair rail about an inch off the wall to either create a shadow line or to back-illuminate the panels with a LED lighting. This design feature may or may not happen as I still have to do some thinking about it. Any comments or suggestions are welcome. I am fairly committed to the gentle curve on the tops of the panels - a bit more expensive from a panel molding perspective, but worth the price for the decorative detail IMHO.

Next up....some pics of the room as it stood a month or so ago.
post #55 of 992 Old 12-05-2012, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Hi Tim,

Two reclining rows and a Bar in 22'? Whats your viewing distance for the front row?

Very nice looking design!

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
post #56 of 992 Old 12-05-2012, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Hi Tim,
Two reclining rows and a Bar in 22'? Whats your viewing distance for the front row?
Very nice looking design!

Thanks Nick. The whole design is optimized for the second row of seating - everything else gets what it gets. According to Dennis' CAD, the seating distance to the front row with a more narrow IB chamber at the front of the theater is about 10' 6". The second row of seating is at 17' from the screen. The back bar will be very narrow at 12" in depth and have stools that tuck underneath. There is approximately 4.5 feet between the back row of seats and the back of the room. Essentially I am treating these as the "Hey buddy, just be thankful you have a seat in this theater"...seats!! I may eliminate the back bar, but I'll have to see how things feel once the riser is constructed and I break out the trusty 'ol blue tape to mark everything out.

To achieve 4x VAS of physcial space, the front of the baffle wall only needs to be 1'6" off the front of the theater wall. So I am not losing as much room as I originally planned for in these drawings. Elimination of the manifold configuration in favor of an array configuration really allowed me to push the baffle wall back toward the front wall without the 24" deep boxes the manifolds require. I know I am splitting hairs, but every inch counts. I know, I know...that's what she said. biggrin.gif

Although it is on the drawing, I forgot to specifically mention some critical details - the dimensions of the room! The room is 16' 5" wide, 22' 3.5" deep and 8' 10" from floor to the underside of the joists. all drywall and soundproofing activities will deduct from these dimensions. All dimensions are from face of theater framing to face of framing.

And FWIW, this was just to get the layout of the room in good shape - all of the individual Art Deco finishing details will be shown when I go to plan each of the finishing elements. I have quite a few posts to catch up on regarding these details. For some reason I cannot seem to upload photos of the room....I have a post ready to go, but the upload is stalling out for some reason. I will have to try again later today when I am on my home PC. More to come. Cheers!
post #57 of 992 Old 12-05-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 188
I really like the layout - especially in the ways that I find it is very similar to mine (I love to have a little confirmation for my plans). Our dimensions are very similar, except of course for the extra four feet of width you've got - I'll try not to be to jealous of that. There's plenty else to be envious about - like an array of procellas smile.gif

What is "stone metal?"

Do you have reservations about using a view port? Maybe it's my own analysis paralysis, but I get paranoid about needed to change a throw distance, so I can't commit to that setup.
post #58 of 992 Old 12-05-2012, 06:47 AM

Nice drawings, Tim! Am I reading correctly that from floor to top of soffit is 7'7"? Or is that just from top of riser? I had also originally planned to go with a chair rail with panels on either side but then it seemed that it was going to be too tight, what with crown and baseboard and frames around the panels themselves. So in the end I just went with larger raised acoustic panels. Are you planning on frames around your panels?
post #59 of 992 Old 12-05-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 63
What drivers are you planning for your IB set up? Is 4x the max VAS you can get?

Edit: Also, I didn't see any other subs on the plans (which look very nice BTW.) Were you planning on any side or rear subs?

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #60 of 992 Old 12-05-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm really looking forward to this project as well. It seems I cannot get my blueprints / drawings translated into a format that Photobucket can understand,
you can do a control print screen then open paint. paste it into paint then crop out the unwanted part of the screen than save as a png or jpeg.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page