The Stonewater Cinema Build Thread - Page 21 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #601 of 1036 Old 09-04-2013, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Sounds like a productive weekend, even if it was cut short.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

I have to say there is nothing quite like flicking on switches for lights and having receptacles everywhere you turn after living off work lights and extension cords for so long!!!

I'm still in that stage and am looking foreward to the day I can use propper lights. More than that I think I'm looking foreward to the day I can take the table saw back up to the garage and stop making dust.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Under Construction

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 1036 Old 09-05-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

I have to say there is nothing quite like flicking on switches for lights and having receptacles everywhere you turn after living off work lights and extension cords for so long!!!
So true it was great not to be running cords out the window to the pole any more but when the breakers were in and I had light and power in my theater biggrin.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #603 of 1036 Old 09-06-2013, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 290
For those of you who liked the Art Deco style metalwork on The Great Gatsby poster . . . .

A friend of mine sent a link today where you can create your own monogram:
http://apps.warnerbros.com/greatgatsby/monogramcreator/us/

To do this!:

It's funny, the middle line actually looks like I've spelled my first name.
DavidinCT likes this.
post #604 of 1036 Old 09-06-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
That is very cool. Maybe you already have an idea for a marquee but if not I think a similar design would be a great first impression. Really sets the tone for what they are about to see once they open the door to your sure to be inspiring room.

post #605 of 1036 Old 09-06-2013, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, the marquee that will be above my door will look like this:

And the backlit movie poster box will be in a complimentary style. Both are from a company called Hollywood Marquees.

I don't know what I'm going to do yet, but I do plan to spice up the entrance and the area surrounding the movie poster frame somehow.....probably bringing some of the moldings from inside the theater to the outside area.

This photo shows the recessed marquee area I built above the door and the recessed backlit movie poster lightbox to the left.

There won't be a lot of room around either fixture.
post #606 of 1036 Old 09-07-2013, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I like that monogram creator, too. I can't imagine how long it would take to replicate something like that in metal. A 3D printer might be just the ticket, though.

I like the theater marquee. I think it will set the tone for what's inside. Very classy.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

post #607 of 1036 Old 09-07-2013, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

I like that monogram creator, too. I can't imagine how long it would take to replicate something like that in metal. A 3D printer might be just the ticket, though.

I like the theater marquee. I think it will set the tone for what's inside. Very classy.

Thanks JPA. We shall soon find out what the tool time would be as I am in negotiations with a fabricator right now. The current proposal is to laser cut the 1/8" steel plate and then take it to the CNC mill to add the knurls and detail to all the little metal pieces. I have the polished nickel plating guys in Tennessee locked up right now, so it's just a question of when to pull the trigger on fabrication. More on that to follow.

Not really a construction update, but I figured I would update everyone with a few things I've been working on behind the scenes:

First, I've been compiling a number of different molding options and this original reproduction molding from Inviting Home will be my baseboard selection. Unlike the crown molding which I will have to duplicate into a smaller scale, this one is about the height I need, so I am considering gel-staining these poly moldings to color match my veneer. If not, I'll have them recreated in solid stock.

Next, I've been quietly amassing control items for my whole-home Savant automation system. This Savant SSR-1000 will be my primary controller in the Theater, Family Room and Master Bedroom. It's essentially all the convenience of an iPod Touch with all of the essential fully-configurable hard buttons you would typically use in a hand-held remote.

It has it's own concave beveled dock to recharge.

Official photo of one programmed:

And finally, a quick proof-of-progress pic of the family room project. All 12 lights in the coffers are functional, all of the wood was fully sanded and give its last coat of poly, and the new circuit to the gimbal lights pointing toward the fireplace has been run and is now active. You will also notice the two giant holes I cut out, stuffed with insulation and ran speaker wire for rear surround speakers in the main family room. If the weather holds up I'll be shooting the speaker grills and trim rings today to colormatch the ceiling and get "stealth" bonus points. smile.gif

I'll be letting the ceiling dry for about a week before stuffing all the lights back up and in
post #608 of 1036 Old 09-07-2013, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Wow, that family room looks great! Love how warm and classy that wood turned out...

post #609 of 1036 Old 09-07-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Yeah, that family room looks great. I don't think I've seen a coffered ceiling set on a diagonal like that. It really sets it apart and makes it unique.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

post #610 of 1036 Old 09-07-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
The Savant control system looks amazing. I am currently struggling between the configurability and wow factor of iRule and the good old hard buttons of Harmony 900. The SSR-1000 looks like the best of both worlds. I took a gander at the Savant site and there were no prices listed. I suppose if you have to ask............

Any reason you decided against the iRule and Global Cache option?

Do you know of any other remotes that have this sort of dual functionality if/when I find out that the Savant setup is out of my budget? It would be amazing to have iRule running on a small screen but then also have hard buttons available for certain things.

Oh yeah and I dig the marquee. I think I had seen it before and just forgot.

post #611 of 1036 Old 09-07-2013, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

The Savant control system looks amazing. I am currently struggling between the configurability and wow factor of iRule and the good old hard buttons of Harmony 900. The SSR-1000 looks like the best of both worlds. I took a gander at the Savant site and there were no prices listed. I suppose if you have to ask............

Any reason you decided against the iRule and Global Cache option?

Do you know of any other remotes that have this sort of dual functionality if/when I find out that the Savant setup is out of my budget? It would be amazing to have iRule running on a small screen but then also have hard buttons available for certain things.

Oh yeah and I dig the marquee. I think I had seen it before and just forgot.

I used to have an AMX system before moving to Crestron, but I like the native Apple OS and simplicity of the Savant control system. At a minimum, all you need is a host controller, a SSC-008 (to give you IR and RS-232 ports) and an iPad. Because it's native Apple OS, it has an integrated iTunes server that can handle 4 separate iTunes streams at once for multi-zone audio. But I really liked the SSR remote because it did provide the best of both worlds with a fully interactive touchscreen paired with the hard buttons of a normal remote.

iRule is OK for single room systems, but not really ready for prime time in its hardware topography for a full-scale distributed audio/video system IMHO. You have to buy multiples upon multiples of devices, one for every TV location plus some more equipment at the head end. And ultimately the system is not nearly as robust as Savant (and it shouldn't, given the cost). Of course we'll have iPads and iPhones connected up to our Savant system, but our primary remotes will be the SSR-1000.
post #612 of 1036 Old 09-08-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:

Actually, the marquee that will be above my door will look like this:

And the backlit movie poster box will be in a complimentary style. Both are from a company called Hollywood Marquees.

Looks great.........................I wish I had room. wink.gif

BTW................. don't you think it would look more majestic with something like this?

acoustic treatment.JPG

Just saying............biggrin.gif

Actually, my wife thought rack would look good over theater entrance!! rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Hopefully, you're not a card carrying member of PETA!! biggrin.gif

My Build Threads

post #613 of 1036 Old 09-09-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 827
I have a serious question:

How long do I have to wait to see some updated new pictures of your theater and Theater progress? biggrin.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #614 of 1036 Old 09-09-2013, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I have a serious question:

How long do I have to wait to see some updated new pictures of your theater and Theater progress? biggrin.gif

I was thinking I could make it an on-demand Pay-Per-View event!! biggrin.gif

As in my previous update, there hasn't been a lot happening in the theater while I finish the basement electrical and a handful of the other bigger projects while the wife and kids are gone. I was able to install 6 brackets on the most difficult wall and take care of some slight re-framing surgery. I didn't think that it was a post-worthy update and was saving the collective pictures to show the whole bracket installation process at once, along with the completed photos.

Unfortunately I ended up working most of this weekend at my real job in preparation for two weeks of travel and meetings, but I did have 4 hours of help yesterday morning to start wiring the house for the distributed audio/video system, the Gigabit LAN (with WAPs), Security cameras, antennas, digital phone system, WAPs, Automation system, etc. In total there will be close to 3 miles of wire in the house once everything is run. It's necessary for me to finish wiring the house as it's an important step to getting the drywall closed up in the basement for obvious reasons. I've completed 16 of the 22 high voltage circuits in the basement, so once the low voltage wiring goes in, including that for the theater, I'll be able to call in the drywall crews to get cracking on finishing the basement. I feel an incredible sense of urgency to get through the drywall stage because it's the major turning point in getting everything done before Thanksgiving, theater excluded.

More to come in a couple of weeks, unfortunately.... frown.gif
post #615 of 1036 Old 09-09-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Are you retrofitting all the automation and audio/video or has some of that already been installed?

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #616 of 1036 Old 09-09-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

Are you retrofitting all the automation and audio/video or has some of that already been installed?

It's all a retrofit.

We built the house, but not only was their cost per wire drop expensive (anywhere from $125 - $175 per wire eek.gif ), but they didn't have sufficient gauge speaker wire, the lighting and automation system wire or the know-how to wire up the system. They wouldn't even let me order all of my own wire and be on-site for a couple of days to manage the LV install or do it myself because of contracts, insurances, liability, blah, blah, blah..... The last thing I was going to do is try and drive my Revel Ultima Studios with the 10 cents per foot lamp cord those security guys call speaker wire.

In the end I told them (Guardian Protection Services) to not even run one wire other than security because I was going to have to tear into my house again anyhow. Fortunately I took a zillion pictures of the house before they closed up the walls which helped me to locate potential pathways for a large 3.25" hole with as little damage as possible. But I eventually found my pathway from the basement all the way into the attic with some careful measurements and some well-hidden access points that are easily repairable. I'll post some pics of the pathway along with my ghetto wire spool setup.
post #617 of 1036 Old 09-24-2013, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Awesome build mate. House as a whole is beautiful. Congrats on the now 5 (?) months old bubs. A little late to the party sorry.

The thread itself is fantastic, so much information and detail, really enjoyed reading.

I see you mentioned New Zealand Kauri (pronounced cow-re), beautiful bit of wood that (though being a Kiwi I could be a little bias)

Can't wait to see the completed project. I imagine it turning out amazing.
post #618 of 1036 Old 09-26-2013, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks kopkiwi! I hope I can live up to your expectations!

I've done a really bad job of posting fresh content lately. By the time I am finished working my real job, being a Dad and then using my last bit of energy to keep chipping away at the basement - I'm just spent and probably incapable of making any sense! smile.gif

Not a whole lot of theater progress, but getting closer to finishing all the major electrical work in the basement and low voltage wiring for the entire house. I had to order a bit more wire ($600+ worth! eek.gif) to get everything done. And my two iRoom iDocks finally showed up the other day. I ended up getting the landscape Touchcode dock in black with POE and glass finish. One is being installed in our kitchen and one in the basement in a centrally located spot. Most of the time the docks with iPad will function as an in-wall touch panel for my automation system, but with a simple security pin code a small motor will eject the iPad for general use. And I ended up buying a miniDock to install in our Bonus room, which we use as our (ahem) exercise room.....or at least there is exercise equipment in the room (does that count?). It just seemed like a better (and cheaper) option than another Savant remote for localized control. Plus, given my wife's track record of dropping stuff, especially in an exercise area, I figured that a new iPad Mini was easier to replace than one of the Savant remotes should something ever happen.

Thanks for following along. More to come in the coming weeks.
post #619 of 1036 Old 09-26-2013, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

I had to order a bit more wire ($600+ worth! eek.gif)

Classic. If "a bit" = $600+, it's scary to think about what all those miles of copper have run you, but I'm sure it's good to know that it'll be done right.

Your iPad docks sound way cool... wink.gif

post #620 of 1036 Old 10-02-2013, 03:40 AM - Thread Starter

Actually, the wiring wasn't nearly as bad on this house as it was for my last two homes, especially now that HDMI is being shipped over a single Cat6 instead of having all the component video wiring with digital audio. Soooooo much easier. Plus, I've eliminated much of the RG6 and not run as many spares and wiring to secondary locations.

My "bit" ended up being closer to $1100....most of which was speaker wire, including a full roll of Canare 4S11 (14/4) for the home theater. That stuff alone is nearly a $1 per foot.

I'm planning on a big thread update on Sunday night, including lots of pictures, so stay tuned....

EDIT: The links are above, but here's a picture of the iDock with touchcode. There is a proximity sensor that illuminates the keypad when you approach. The bezel is touch-sensitive so you don't actually see the numbers until they are illuminated.

post #621 of 1036 Old 10-02-2013, 06:35 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I saw the Iroom docks at Cedia last week was very impressed with them very clean looking but very pricey.

Falcon Screens

post #622 of 1036 Old 10-02-2013, 06:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post

I saw the Iroom docks at Cedia last week was very impressed with them very clean looking but very pricey.

What's the $$$$ ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #623 of 1036 Old 10-02-2013, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 312
That Savant system looks quite slick. Is the programming side fairly straight-forward? Or is it one of those Crestron-esque *dealer must program* control systems?

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #624 of 1036 Old 10-02-2013, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Glad to see you escaped from those three cowgirls to walk around the show a bit more! biggrin.gif I looked at every available in-wall dock on the market and while there were a couple others that had just as clean lines there was something "wrong"....like it didn't charge the iPad while docked or it was made of really cheap plastic, etc. These are definitely luxe and are on the install list for this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

What's the $$$$ ?

Well, this one is in the glass finish, which is an upcharge...has the Touchcode, which is an upcharge....has Power Over Ethernet (POE)vs. 120v hard wire or wall wart adapter which is...you guessed it...an upcharge. So the total retail for this dock is $1179. There is also a required back box that retails for $150. Plus I have to buy a quality POE injector for about $30. So all-in about $1400 at retail per dock once you factor in the cost of the wire as well.

By the way, here's a video of the dock in action:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

That Savant system looks quite slick. Is the programming side fairly straight-forward? Or is it one of those Crestron-esque *dealer must program* control systems?

The programming is captive to the dealer just like C4, AMX, Crestron and most of the rest. iRule seems to be one of the few automation systems that sells the programming software for the DIY'er. I've long let my AMX and Crestron programming certifications expire and have no real interest in learning a new control program. Just too much to keep up with for the seldom times you actually make changes. Plus, unlike the "old" days where nothing talked to one another, manufacturer's have made it much easier to get even the largest systems programmed in less than a day. My initial programming estimate, including full setup of my network (48 port managed Gigabit switch, two dual-band WAPs and wireless router) will be around $1300.

Savant will sell you the software from what I understand, but you must pay to attend a certification course and then buy the software for $6000 and then continue to buy updates / licenses when they are released. Unless you are a dealer, it's not worth it which I am sure is exactly the way they planned it...

I am excited to see it running, though, especially the "jukebox" app so when I'm down shooting pool I can cue up a playlist or interrupt the playlist with an immediate request.
post #625 of 1036 Old 10-02-2013, 07:32 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Glad to see you escaped from those three cowgirls to walk around the show a bit more! biggrin.gif I looked at every available in-wall dock on the market and while there were a couple others that had just as clean lines there was something "wrong"....like it didn't charge the iPad while docked or it was made of really cheap plastic, etc. These are definitely luxe and are on the install list for this weekend.
Well, this one is in the glass finish, which is an upcharge...has the Touchcode, which is an upcharge....has Power Over Ethernet (POE)vs. 120v hard wire or wall wart adapter which is...you guessed it...an upcharge. So the total retail for this dock is $1179. There is also a required back box that retails for $150. Plus I have to buy a quality POE injector for about $30. So all-in about $1400 at retail per dock once you factor in the cost of the wire as well.

By the way, here's a video of the dock in action:The programming is captive to the dealer just like C4, AMX, Crestron and most of the rest. iRule seems to be one of the few automation systems that sells the programming software for the DIY'er. I've long let my AMX and Crestron programming certifications expire and have no real interest in learning a new control program. Just too much to keep up with for the seldom times you actually make changes. Plus, unlike the "old" days where nothing talked to one another, manufacturer's have made it much easier to get even the largest systems programmed in less than a day. My initial programming estimate, including full setup of my network (48 port managed Gigabit switch, two dual-band WAPs and wireless router) will be around $1300.

Savant will sell you the software from what I understand, but you must pay to attend a certification course and then buy the software for $6000 and then continue to buy updates / licenses when they are released. Unless you are a dealer, it's not worth it which I am sure is exactly the way they planned it...

I am excited to see it running, though, especially the "jukebox" app so when I'm down shooting pool I can cue up a playlist or interrupt the playlist with an immediate request.

LOL!!! shh i was only trying to help big he had trouble handling more then one tongue.gif

what are you using RTI??

I actually took the irule class and there software seems to be do it yourself friendly, there seems be a lot support on there part and a good amount of community help.

Falcon Screens

post #626 of 1036 Old 10-02-2013, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

LOL!!! shh i was only trying to help big he had trouble handling more then one tongue.gif

You're one Hell of a nice guy to help a friend out like that! biggrin.gif What booth was that anyhow?
Quote:

what are you using RTI??

Nope. Dumping AMX and going with Savant. http://www.savantsystems.com/
Quote:

I actually took the irule class and there software seems to be do it yourself friendly, there seems be a lot support on there part and a good amount of community help.

I think iRule is a great solution up to a certain point, then it becomes easier to justify going with a more fully-featured home automation system. As I am running a distributed audio/video system in addition to a complex theater, it just made sense to not mess around with a lesser control system - plus, it's what I've been used to for the last 16+ years. cool.gif

The other thing to take into consideration are the user interfaces. For iRule, that means iPad and it's just not convenient - at all - to do channel surfing with an iPad or touch screen. Plus, in a darkened theater room, the iPad will shock your retinas when it comes on. If you refer to post 608 above, the Savant SSR-1000 remote really made a lot of sense to me, especially with the control system using native Apple OS. The other plus is that my wife liked it as well! biggrin.gif
post #627 of 1036 Old 10-02-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Interesting discussion. Did you give any consideration to C4 before deciding on Savant?

-

post #628 of 1036 Old 10-02-2013, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Interesting discussion. Did you give any consideration to C4 before deciding on Savant?

Briefly. I was already familiar with the system and its capabilities, but it again came down to the user interface and getting away from an iPad as a primary control. If I can't operate it with one hand, I don't want it as my primary control. The closest C4 gets with a handheld to the Savant is the SR-250 remote , but then I would have to install a robust zigbee network for a very limited amount of text-only meta-data feedback and no "apps" (like weather, stocks, etc.) or the ability to pull up a h.264 enabled IP camera directly on the remote itself like I can with the Savant user interface device. Plus the Savant remote works over standard wi-fi, so I could surf the net on the remote if I wanted, just like on an iPhone.

I don't know if you are the market yourself, but Savant just launched a $999 solution that is both scalable and fully expandable. HERE is a link to some more info.

That's a colossal value in automation. Additional remotes for other zones are $499 each. Here's a spec sheet on the SUR-0500 remote:
BllDo likes this.
post #629 of 1036 Old 10-02-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Very interesting. Thanks for the links. I do have to say that I like the look of the SSR-1000 a lot better, but that might be a good first step.

-

post #630 of 1036 Old 10-02-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:

Did you give any consideration to C4

Sounds a bit drastic to me... cool.gif
BllDo likes this.

Under construction:
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page