post #631 of 1036 Old 10-02-2013, 11:33 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Briefly. I was already familiar with the system and its capabilities, but it again came down to the user interface and getting away from an iPad as a primary control. If I can't operate it with one hand, I don't want it as my primary control. The closest C4 gets with a handheld to the Savant is the SR-250 remote , but then I would have to install a robust zigbee network for a very limited amount of text-only meta-data feedback and no "apps" (like weather, stocks, etc.) or the ability to pull up a h.264 enabled IP camera directly on the remote itself like I can with the Savant user interface device. Plus the Savant remote works over standard wi-fi, so I could surf the net on the remote if I wanted, just like on an iPhone.

I don't know if you are the market yourself, but Savant just launched a $999 solution that is both scalable and fully expandable. HERE is a link to some more info.

That's a colossal value in automation. Additional remotes for other zones are $499 each. Here's a spec sheet on the SUR-0500 remote:

I like Savent and the idea of everything running from apple based pc but your stuck with having a dealer do everything correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1036 Old 10-02-2013, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post

I like Savent and the idea of everything running from apple based pc but your stuck with having a dealer do everything correct?

The standard Savant Host controller is actually a Mac Mini running native Apple OS. Savant is the only company Apple partners with in this space. The $999 host controller is a Linux-based device that integrates with the Apple OS. I believe both can run four simultaneous Apple iTunes streams for four completely separate zones of audio. The Mac Mini host definitely does, I don't know enough about the new pricepoint remote system yet to say that it does the same.

But to answer your other question, yes, you would be tied to dealer - but it's not as bad as you think. The process is typically one day (or 1/2 day) for programming, perhaps a bit of tweaking and then that's it...you're fully functional. I think you'd be surprised at how little you will ever need something changed in the programming once it is established.

If you get a new piece of equipment, like a Bluray, the programming can be changed remotely in a matter of minutes. Most dealers don't charge for small things like this or it is a nominal charge at best.
post #633 of 1036 Old 10-02-2013, 01:27 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

The standard Savant Host controller is actually a Mac Mini running native Apple OS. Savant is the only company Apple partners with in this space. The $999 host controller is a Linux-based device that integrates with the Apple OS. I believe both can run four simultaneous Apple iTunes streams for four completely separate zones of audio. The Mac Mini host definitely does, I don't know enough about the new pricepoint remote system yet to say that it does the same.

But to answer your other question, yes, you would be tied to dealer - but it's not as bad as you think. The process is typically one day (or 1/2 day) for programming, perhaps a bit of tweaking and then that's it...you're fully functional. I think you'd be surprised at how little you will ever need something changed in the programming once it is established.

If you get a new piece of equipment, like a Bluray, the programming can be changed remotely in a matter of minutes. Most dealers don't charge for small things like this or it is a nominal charge at best.

interesting for sure will looking it i also have neighbor/friend that owns a company that using crestron and has programmer that also does it on the side so will look into that also.

but i do love apple so savant is very interesting to me for sure
post #634 of 1036 Old 10-08-2013, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Just closed the deal on the last of the Philips Color Kinetics lighting I'll need in the theater because, you know....everything's better with RGB LED lighting (and lasers!) biggrin.gif

BEFORE

AFTER
post #635 of 1036 Old 10-08-2013, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

Just closed the deal on the last of the Philips Color Kinetics lighting I'll need in the theater because, you know....everything's better with RGB LED lighting (and lasers!) biggrin.gif

BEFORE

AFTER
Lol nice!

JBL Pro Cinema
post #636 of 1036 Old 10-08-2013, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Wow! Seeing that on my phone just did not do it justice! That is awesome!

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #637 of 1036 Old 10-12-2013, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Whenever there's no action in this thread for more than a couple days, I assume it's because you're busy doing something awesome. So since it's Saturday night, I'm bumping this. What have you gotten in to this weekend, sir?

And how's that wee one?
post #638 of 1036 Old 10-13-2013, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I've been gone for a month and a half enjoying my "pretty much done theater"...now I'm in China for my MBA program, can't sleep because I don't know what day or time it is so now is a good time to catch up on threads...

I was really looking forward to this thread and no pics! Oh wait, maybe the Chinese are blocking the progress pics....first Facebook, now TMcG!!!

I think I'm supposed to be awake in 2 hours and 40 minutes to somehow watch the Jets game..My 5 hours of sleep over 3 days, or is it 2 days, or is it 4 days isn't working too well
post #639 of 1036 Old 10-28-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

What have you gotten in to this weekend, sir? And how's that wee one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

I was really looking forward to this thread and no pics! Oh wait, maybe the Chinese are blocking the progress pics....first Facebook, now TMcG!!!

You're both right, I do need to post some pics....but there's been zero progress on the theater except for running the high voltage wires from the panel into the room. ALL of my effort has been concentrated on finishing the rest of the basement before Thanksgiving. To that end I now have almost all of the high voltage done and should be ready for an inspection by early next week. I have also spent a lot of time GC'ing the project in getting estimates for some sub work - drywallers, masons, stair guy - and ordering all of the "stuff". We've been saving for this day for quite a while, but it's still a bit unnerving to dump $12k all at once on bar cabinets, veneer stone, countertops, flooring, some labor costs and other finishing materials. We'll get all of that $$ back in equity, but it still gives me a knot in my stomach.

I'll post some pics once I get past the clean-up stage. Right now it looks like 3 lions were locked in deadly battle with rolls of Romex and an auger bit with all the electrical trimmings and sawdust from drilling holes.

The other bummer is that I ran out of some low voltage wire (again) and had to order another $450 worth. mad.gif
post #640 of 1036 Old 10-28-2013, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
This thread is useless without pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pics or it didn't happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How's that for a little motivation?

Just remember I'm from the Government and I'm here to help. biggrin.gif

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #641 of 1036 Old 10-28-2013, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^+1

Very excited for some progress pics!

JBL Pro Cinema
post #642 of 1036 Old 10-29-2013, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

You're both right, I do need to post some pics....but there's been zero progress on the theater except for running the high voltage wires from the panel into the room. ALL of my effort has been concentrated on finishing the rest of the basement before Thanksgiving. To that end I now have almost all of the high voltage done and should be ready for an inspection by early next week. I have also spent a lot of time GC'ing the project in getting estimates for some sub work - drywallers, masons, stair guy - and ordering all of the "stuff". We've been saving for this day for quite a while, but it's still a bit unnerving to dump $12k all at once on bar cabinets, veneer stone, countertops, flooring, some labor costs and other finishing materials. We'll get all of that $$ back in equity, but it still gives me a knot in my stomach.

I'll post some pics once I get past the clean-up stage. Right now it looks like 3 lions were locked in deadly battle with rolls of Romex and an auger bit with all the electrical trimmings and sawdust from drilling holes.

The other bummer is that I ran out of some low voltage wire (again) and had to order another $450 worth. mad.gif
I would like to see the rest of the basement the work you did upstairs was beyond awesome!!!!!
post #643 of 1036 Old 10-29-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Though I didn't necessarily agree with the preemptive Loganing, it certainly now seems that it was entirely justified. Laser dog pictures or not. wink.gif

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #644 of 1036 Old 10-29-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

I know how you feel...Amazing how much work this all takes. The most annoying is when you bring in 3 contractors and get prices like $1,000 $5,000 and 10,000...then you have to bring in 3 more to find out what the right price for quality work should be...ughhh

Good luck and take your time...We were watching the Jets get demolished on Sunday, and my neighbor said "its incredible we're actually in here, it seems like just yesterday we were pouring thousands of pounds of sand through that window right there"
post #645 of 1036 Old 10-30-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

This thread is useless without pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pics or it didn't happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How's that for a little motivation?

Just remember I'm from the Government and I'm here to help. biggrin.gif

Regards,

RTROSE
post #646 of 1036 Old 10-31-2013, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

I may be wrong, but I get the sense that you guys might be trying to tell me something....biggrin.gif

I've been on a bit of a buying spree for the theater and basement, so plenty to post there...plus I'll pull together a post by Sunday night of all my progress in the rest of the basement for all of you construction junkies.
cw5billwade likes this.
post #647 of 1036 Old 10-31-2013, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:

. We'll get all of that $$ back in equity, but it still gives me a knot in my stomach.
:

I hope you are right! wink.gif

Different regions have quite the variance in assessed value.................

After selling our last home............I took a preverbal shot in the stove pipe so to speak.biggrin.gif

So...............after getting our new construction complete..............I decided it was worth getting a professional assessment for future considerations. Well, another below the belt punch since what we have in home is no where near what was given to us on paper..........................like a 16% difference. When you combine both home values over the last three years.................................well, I just want to hide under a rock!!!! mad.gif

Hopefully, NC is different than Oregon............................I've lost a small fortune!!!! mad.gif
post #648 of 1036 Old 10-31-2013, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Well, we're converting 1605 square feet of unfinished basement into fully finished square feet. Since I am doing most of the work myself, hopefully between smart shopping and sweat equity we'll at least break even or be on the plus side. I'll get confirmation of our investment soon enough as we plan to refi to a shorter term with lower rate shortly after everything is done. Part of the process will be a very thorough appraisal, so I guess we'll see. Hopefully there will be no "stovepipes" involved....biggrin.gif
post #649 of 1036 Old 10-31-2013, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:

Well, we're converting 1605 square feet of unfinished basement into fully finished square feet. Since I am doing most of the work myself, hopefully between smart shopping and sweat equity we'll at least break even or be on the plus side. I'll get confirmation of our investment soon enough as we plan to refi to a shorter term with lower rate shortly after everything is done. Part of the process will be a very thorough appraisal, so I guess we'll see. Hopefully there will be no "stovepipes" involved....biggrin.gif

Well....my stove pipe is big enough for the two of us!! Wait.......that doesn't sound right.......eek.gif

With your knowledge and from small sampling I've seen in your thread, I expect nothing but exemplary workmanship and integration.

Smart call on shorter term financing..........the power of an exponential relationship is something to be reckened with! When you reach my age, having no mortgage is a blessing! biggrin.gif
post #650 of 1036 Old 11-01-2013, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I may be wrong, but I get the sense that you guys might be trying to tell me something....biggrin.gif

I've been on a bit of a buying spree for the theater and basement, so plenty to post there...plus I'll pull together a post by Sunday night of all my progress in the rest of the basement for all of you construction junkies.

Sweet looking forward to hearing about the goodies u got!! I've been chomping at the bit to go on a spending spree myself but all my money as been going toward Xmas gifts,.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #651 of 1036 Old 11-01-2013, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

I hope you are right! wink.gif

Different regions have quite the variance in assessed value.................

After selling our last home............I took a preverbal shot in the stove pipe so to speak.biggrin.gif

So...............after getting our new construction complete..............I decided it was worth getting a professional assessment for future considerations. Well, another below the belt punch since what we have in home is no where near what was given to us on paper..........................like a 16% difference. When you combine both home values over the last three years.................................well, I just want to hide under a rock!!!! mad.gif

Hopefully, NC is different than Oregon............................I've lost a small fortune!!!! mad.gif

OUCH!

The Toronto area (GTA)'s population is expected to grow by 39% or 2.5 m over the next 24 years, so I have no concern about property values dropping and so far the bank's assessment is keeping a "little" ahead of what we've dumped into our pile of bricks.

What scares me, a lot, is the addition has triggered the property tax assessor "person" to pay a call. She'll be back in January to do the appraisal. So my "theater" will remain a receptacle for sawdust, lumber and tools until after that!!! Houses in the area that are half the size of mine are selling for 2.5X what I paid 22 years ago. The evil people were limited to a fixed percentage tax increase/year, but the addition allows them to reset the value and tax. Rob Ford needs to buy more crack, I guess. mad.gif (...if anybody is following our Mayor's antics...)

This could theoretically triple my current property tax. Which is already more than 2X what it was when we bought! MVA sucks! me--> mad.gifmad.gif <--the wife

Winterfell theatre build - working title
post #652 of 1036 Old 11-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just Jim nice to see a fellow canuck. Reminder the Toronto A/V show is this weekend.
post #653 of 1036 Old 11-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 59
woohoo another art deco theater build that I can learn and be inspired by for my one day future art deco theater ^_^

post #654 of 1036 Old 11-11-2013, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Thanks for the heads up HFGUY. I went to TAVES on Sunday and the best seminar that I went to, was put on by Roy Gregory of The Audio Beat magazine, on how to properly place stereo speakers to get the most out of them. He managed to demonstrate how the movement of the speaker by only a few mm could audibly change the sound significantly! When the speakers were beautifully tuned, he went down the hall (within the hotel room) and closed the bathroom door... the bass closed in! A real eye opener on speaker set-up!!! As promised, he posted the procedure in his blog. For anybody interested... http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/system_setup_seminars.htm

Winterfell theatre build - working title
post #655 of 1036 Old 11-12-2013, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

A bit overdue for an update, but here it is. I've been busy working on everything in the basement BUT the Stonewater Cinema. It's been a lot of work and I have a bit more to go, but I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and quickly reaching the point where I can focus 100% of my construction efforts on the theater. Unfortunately things will not be finished by Thanksgiving because the drywallers I contracted pushed me to a different date in early December because of scheduling conflicts. They normally do drywall for big builders and were fitting me in where they could as per our arrangement. I would've been upset with this except for the fact I got a call two weeks ago that our carpet selection is on backorder until mid-December. We looked at other selections, but in the end stuck with our original choice. New date to finish everything in the basement is by the end of the year. I can't wait to get it done and off my "to-do" list so 100% of my focus can be put back on the theater.

I simply have too many pictures to post, so I will parse things out the best I can over the next week.

First, we have light (and receptacles)!!!

Wiring for the poster light box and marquee, which shipped yesterday from California and will be here next week.

Carving out all of the 2 lb. spray foam to run electrical wire has been a b*tch and slowed the wiring process significantly, but I kept at it. This was the most difficult area by the back door. Because of all the structure and other "no drill hole" zones, I had to follow a unique path to get the wires to this spot. Unfortunately I had to run quite a bit of power to this area for all the various switches.

For the "lounge" area in the basement I have an in-ceiling theater system. I also picked up a pair of Sonance Cinema II in-wall subwoofers off eBay about a year ago. Just a few weeks ago I found a set of Sonance MDF backboxes designed for these subs from a local store clearing them out for $100, so I jumped on the opportunity. The bad news is that to place these properly and to get the double walls to line up and accommodate the depth of the back box, I had to remove ALL of the wiring shown in the photo above and then completely re-frame BOTH walls. mad.gif That "cap" piece is sized for the drywallers to rotozip around and comes with the back box assembly. I have to install the other one on the other side of the room but.....you guessed it....will take reframing the wall on the other side and chipping away a bunch of spray foam to make it fit.

Not a great picture, but a mantle for above the fireplace. This was a last-minute addition to the plan, but we're happy with the choice. I'm not a huge fan of putting a flat panel above the fireplace because it puts such a crick in your neck from the height, not to mention the heat that would roll up the wall when the fireplace is on. However, the mantle will be a good block for that heat and won't raise the height of the flat panel by more than 10 inches from our original spot.

Here is a pic of my ghetto wire spool setup for my whole-home wiring. I made a simple "T" out of 2x10 and 2x6 for one side, attached a couple of boards to my column on the other side, drilled 1.5" holes in the appropriate spots and then loaded up the wire. Works great!

This is the main pathway up to the attic that I had to route through our home. It's a 3.25" hole all the way through and believe me when I say that it will be packed nearly full just for the second floor and attic wiring before I am done.
IMG_0147_zpsd4b9b001.jpg

The handles for my dirt rake and squeegee worked fantastically for the wire spools. biggrin.gif All my other wood poles could only handle one wire spool.
IMG_0148_zps6bd67ecc.jpg

Hard to see, but a total of six holes drilled just going up through this one wall on the first floor.

I removed the "butler pantry" to get the wire routed through the first hole. Here you can see some of the horizontal pieces I had to drill through in tight quarters.

The upper part of the butler's pantry. I'm not happy about the high voltage wire being so close and running in parallel with my low voltage wires, but there's nothing I can do.

Hard to get perspective, but this is on the back side of the butler pantry wall. I drilled a hole through the TJI and the wire goes through and up into the upstairs hallway bathroom wall before reaching the attic and distribution to the appropriate room.

Back to the basement, I installed the 100 amp sub panel and started pulling my new circuits with plenty of slack. This pic is mid-wiring.

I also installed the pocket door to the equipment room

This was a late addition, but I decided to add two gimbal lights in the main hallway to wash the wall you see on the near left and at the end of the hallway. I have some professionally framed movie posters that I thought would look nice hanging in these spots with a bit of light shining directly on them.
IMG_0154_zps997f7855.jpg

Believe it or not, this is not even all of the stuff that will go into the full bathroom. It's amazing to see everything stacked up and still believe it will fit. I piled all these supplies in here just to get them out of my way!

The bar fridge showed up the other day. It is a 24" counter depth fridge with ice maker from Summit Applicance. I wish that I had the space for a full-size fridge, but it just wasn't in the cards with the limited room I had.

Most importantly, the kegerator also showed up. My wife asked me if we really needed to buy this now. I said yes. No further words were spoken...biggrin.gif

And finally, I'll admit I was a Craigslist hussy when I scouted out this deal for 8 Berkline 090 full leather seats with the built-in bass shakers and manual recline. A guy was getting divorced and had to sell ASAP before moving. Not my ideal choice, but budget is very tight and these will at least get me in the door for a few years before getting what we really want from a "look" and features perspective. I wanted motorized recline, brown leather and more of an Art Deco pub chair style, but I guess this is part of the compromise I have to make. I figured I would sell these on in a few years. They are in PERFECT shape and every seat looks like new, just a bit dusty from the construction!

More to follow later this week.
post #656 of 1036 Old 11-12-2013, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 59
wow let me know how the built in bass shakers work out for you smile.gif

post #657 of 1036 Old 11-12-2013, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Good work! The wiring looks painful. It will be very exciting to start focusing on the theater. Almost to the fun stuff!

Nice seats. I just found a cl deal myself.

I can't wait to see the built in poster frame in action.
post #658 of 1036 Old 11-12-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

that is a great find on the theater seats. Maybe better than my $127 Ashley seats but like you not the ideal seats but can't pass on the deal!
post #659 of 1036 Old 11-12-2013, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Wow, progress galore!! You've been busy. Nice to see everything starting to come together.

And great find on those chairs! That's a perfect compromise now that can be so easily upgraded much later...
post #660 of 1036 Old 11-12-2013, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey TMcG, I've just been reading through your thread and when I came across your nursery pics I was surprised to see that your little guy and our little guy (born June 22) have pretty similar rooms! Your guy is adorable by the way. I wish I could say that our room was done with a similar level of skill! My first time doing wainscoting and crown and let's just say it's less than perfect.

Really, REALLY nice work throughout the thread. The nursery is beautiful, coffered ceiling is gorgeous, and the theatre is coming along nicely. Can't wait to see the finished product in another build by someone with incredible attention to detail.

Oh, how do you like the spray foam insulation? That's my plan for the basement when we get to it as well.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page