The Stonewater Cinema Build Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
First ... 26  27  28 29  30  ... Last
Dedicated Theater Design & Construction > The Stonewater Cinema Build Thread
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 08:49 AM 03-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Awesome. I was going to go with 4 Procella P6V's for my surrounds, but I decided in the end to go with the JTR Single 8's considering that I have JTR 212's for my mains. I would love to hear a full Procella sound system some day. Congrats on your build. Hopefully mine gets started as I have a final meeting with my contractors Wednesday.

That will be a great system.................though I preferred/purchased Triad Golds instead of Noesis 212's.  Adding two OS's would be the ticket...............the best subs I've ever heard have been JTR OS's.  If you can fit/handle the HUGE cab size.........a no brain-er.

RTROSE's Avatar RTROSE 05:26 PM 03-08-2014
Man o man, been a while since I have checked in. What did I miss? It's ok if you want to give me the Cliff Notes version. biggrin.gif

Regards,

RTROSE
TMcG's Avatar TMcG 06:36 AM 03-09-2014
You know....planned some stuff, ordered some stuff, built some stuff....biggrin.gif
JVoth's Avatar JVoth 10:16 AM 03-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

You know....planned some stuff, ordered some stuff, built some stuff....biggrin.gif
Did you happen to take some pictures of said "stuff?"
RTROSE's Avatar RTROSE 12:09 PM 03-09-2014
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post

Did you happen to take some pictures of said "stuff?"

HAHAHAHA.........

I can see in my absence there are others that have stepped forward to hold you accountable. biggrin.gif

Regards,

RTROSE
TMcG's Avatar TMcG 02:51 PM 03-09-2014
Cell pics of stuff from 6 weeks ago

doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 02:59 PM 03-09-2014

You are going to be one busy MAN!!!!!

I suspect this build thread could reach epic viewing NUMBERS!!  :D

JVoth's Avatar JVoth 06:31 PM 03-09-2014
Had to keep you honest man. Sorry.
TMcG's Avatar TMcG 12:57 PM 03-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

You are going to be one busy MAN!!!!!

I suspect this build thread could reach epic viewing NUMBERS!!  biggrin.gif

I've finished all but 5 dedicated circuits for the theater and tying everything into the panel using those super-expensive CFACI breakers (that I haven't bought yet). Nothing more than a day or two of work, but still has to be done before I call the inspector. Other than that, you can see that most of the other work is complete.

The other current hold-up is that the security guy has rescheduled three times already. Since the walls were open and pathways run, I used this as an opportunity to run all of the 22/4 and Cat6 I would need to significantly upgrade the builder-grade level security system that was originally installed in the house, including POE cameras (with DVR and direct to cloud storage), motion sensors, GSM (cellular) integration / backup, power isolation - you name it. And it will all be tied into the Savant Home Automation system, smart phones, etc. Aside from the interior / exterior POE cameras, the cost was very reasonable.

I am hoping to have the inspector here sometime next week to give his blessing to closing up all the walls which is being done by an outside contractor. We'll see.
just jim's Avatar just jim 08:57 PM 03-10-2014
Incredible!

So do the lights come up and fade out as you walk through a room?

I can turn my speakers up and I can turn my speakers down. biggrin.gif who knew where this whole automation thing would go? Obviously people smarter than me. rolleyes.gif
TMcG's Avatar TMcG 02:09 AM 03-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by just jim View Post

So do the lights come up and fade out as you walk through a room?

Event-based macros are extremely easy to integrate, but not always as practical as you might think without a much higher level of conditional Boolean variable statements (basically glorified "IF THEN ELSE" statements in the programming).

Jon Danforth (Time Lapse Theater) was tinkering with an application hack for Siri called Siriproxy, allowing you to use the Siri application to translate normal speech commands into home automation commands. It worked well and there was a fast-growing online community to take Siri well beyond setting appointments and finding you the nearest coffee shop. Here's a list of apps that are still out there: https://github.com/plamoni/SiriProxy/wiki/Plugins But Apple being Apple, they shut down Siriproxy and changed Siri's code so significantly with the iOS7 update that everything pretty much went back to square one.

The latest attempt to make Siri more functional comes from a handful of students at Penn who developed an app called GoogolPlex, finding a new way to bypass all of Apple's restrictions on Siri. Here's a web link with several videos and a way to install an app to get up and running: http://www.betterthansiri.com/ Hopefully Apple won't shut this app down and more development will enhance features.
BllDo's Avatar BllDo 06:56 AM 03-11-2014
Quote:

The latest attempt to make Siri more functional comes from a handful of students at Penn who developed an app called GoogolPlex, finding a new way to bypass all of Apple's restrictions on Siri. Here's a web link with several videos and a way to install an app to get up and running: http://www.betterthansiri.com/ Hopefully Apple won't shut this app down and more development will enhance features.

That's a good one.

BTW, what are these:

BrolicBeast's Avatar BrolicBeast 07:03 AM 03-11-2014
Quote:

Event-based macros are extremely easy to integrate, but not always as practical as you might think without a much higher level of conditional Boolean variable statements (basically glorified "IF THEN ELSE" statements in the programming).

Jon Danforth (Time Lapse Theater) was tinkering with an application hack for Siri called Siriproxy, allowing you to use the Siri application to translate normal speech commands into home automation commands. It worked well and there was a fast-growing online community to take Siri well beyond setting appointments and finding you the nearest coffee shop. Here's a list of apps that are still out there: https://github.com/plamoni/SiriProxy/wiki/Plugins But Apple being Apple, they shut down Siriproxy and changed Siri's code so significantly with the iOS7 update that everything pretty much went back to square one.

Given Apple's penchant for denying all who would improve upon their technology, there's probably better opportunity in hacking Microsoft's kinect hardware/software.  The latest XboxOne Kinect is extremely responsive to voice commands. I find myself using it for blu ray playback quite a bit, althought it's certainly not my reference player.

TMcG's Avatar TMcG 07:08 AM 03-11-2014
OK, maybe wishful thinking. But unlike the other approach, which was a hack, this approach shouldn't step on Apple's toes....we'll see. (EDIT - To clarify, they are both hacks....but this new approach does not involve jailbreaking your device, which could be the key difference.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

BTW, what are these:

Those are the woofers for a Sonance Cinema Two Sub system, intended for that lounge area you see pictured (with the fireplace). I have an in-ceiling speaker system earmarked for that room and was able to find the right deals over the course of 6 years to assemble the dual subs (each with dual 10" drivers), the matching amplifier and two MDF backboxes made by Sonance and designed specifically for the system. I don't like to do it, but the plan is to have a TV above the fireplace, hence the cardboard "TV" in the other picture to get the proper cable and electrical height.
just jim's Avatar just jim 07:57 AM 03-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

BTW, what are these:

Funny, BllDo sees two speakers in all this and all I can focus on is that the joints in the plywood on the floor aren't staggered.

What's wrong with me?!? wink.gif

What scares me the most about getting my head around all the possibilities in this automation technology is that Windows 8 makes me cry. frown.gif
TMcG's Avatar TMcG 08:14 AM 03-11-2014
Give me more credit than that, Jim!! biggrin.gif If you look at the other pics above you can clearly see the plywood is laid in a brick pattern, just like it should be. It's also 3/4" T&G plywood.
BllDo's Avatar BllDo 09:08 AM 03-11-2014
Quote:

Those are the woofers for a Sonance Cinema Two Sub system, intended for that lounge area you see pictured (with the fireplace). I have an in-ceiling speaker system earmarked for that room and was able to find the right deals over the course of 6 years to assemble the dual subs (each with dual 10" drivers), the matching amplifier and two MDF backboxes made by Sonance and designed specifically for the system. I don't like to do it, but the plan is to have a TV above the fireplace, hence the cardboard "TV" in the other picture to get the proper cable and electrical height.

That's a great idea. I'll be very interested to see how that comes together (and will probably try to copy it). I assume they are not going in the exterior walls due to the spray foam insulation?
Quote:

What scares me the most about getting my head around all the possibilities in this automation technology is that Windows 8 makes me cry. frown.gif

You're not the only one brother. rolleyes.gif
TMcG's Avatar TMcG 10:23 AM 03-11-2014
Back when the world was coming to an end in 2009, I was able to pick up on a few items as part of the greater electronic system, one of which was a complete Speakercraft Time 5 speaker system, new-in-the-box that was being liquidated at a local dealer that went bankrupt. The speakers normally retailed for something ridiculous like $1200 each, plus you need the controller. They were liquidating the entire 5-speaker system with controller for $400, so I couldn't resist. Given that the bass response of most in-ceiling speakers suck, I was just going to add a standard subwoofer down the road until I picked up on another liquidation deal on the pair of Sonance subwoofers, allowing me to keep the install as stealth as possible. We weren't going to have a mantle, but we found one we liked that should block the majority of heat that would normally roll up on the TV.

Here's a short video showing the speakers in action:

The back boxes require 2x6 framing and there was absolutely no way to install them on the front wall as you can see in the pictures. I spoke with Sonance and they said to install the subs on the side wall, no more than 20" from the front wall to the opposite side of the back box. This involved re-framing two walls for the right sub and modifying the framing for the left sub. The left sub will have a slight jut-out because I didn't want to add strapping to the existing wall or cut out all the spray foam behind. I did trim some of the foam, but just barely.

Here's some pics I took about 6 weeks ago:
Left sub

Right sub, mantle, 65" "TV"

Left, Center, Right pre-construction rings

All electrical complete

Mantle

Up-close of sub, grill cover and MDF cover plate used for the drywallers to go around for the cutout:

BrolicBeast's Avatar BrolicBeast 11:16 AM 03-11-2014

I planned on doing the exact same thing, but the joists would stop the center channel from being, well centered! I have 15 in-ceiling sonance speakers that i also picked up in a liquidation sale, and this would have been a great application for them.

Daniel Chaves's Avatar Daniel Chaves 01:10 PM 03-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

I planned on doing the exact same thing, but the joists would stop the center channel from being, well centered! I have 15 in-ceiling sonance speakers that i also picked up in a liquidation sale, and this would have been a great application for them.

have two centers one left and one right of the beam and wired them to both output center channel signal and now you have the exact same sound with out it being exactly dead center smile.gif
just jim's Avatar just jim 01:21 PM 03-11-2014
$1200x5 plus controller for $400!!! A liquidation price in Canada would be $1000x5 plus the price of the controller. wink.gif I'm jealous (not the exact word I would actually use).

I had to go to Texas (via ebay) to afford a new Bryston amp even though they are made 1 1/2 hours from my house. I saved $2000 after shipping (95 lbs), unless my wife is listening, then I saved $3000. That also happened to be in 2009!
kopkiwi's Avatar kopkiwi 01:34 PM 03-11-2014
Quote:

$1200x5 plus controller for $400!!! A liquidation price in Canada would be $1000x5 plus the price of the controller. wink.gif I'm jealous (not the exact word I would actually use).

I had to go to Texas (via ebay) to afford a new Bryston amp even though they are made 1 1/2 hours from my house. I saved $2000 after shipping (95 lbs), unless my wife is listening, then I saved $3000. That also happened to be in 2009!

Pft, in New Zealand the liquidation price would be the bloody retail price.
just jim's Avatar just jim 03:51 PM 03-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopkiwi View Post

Pft, in New Zealand the liquidation price would be the bloody retail price.

LMAO I hear ya! biggrin.gif
TMcG's Avatar TMcG 03:53 PM 03-11-2014
Well Jim (and kopkiwi), if I really wanted to make you jealous.... tongue.gif
  • Set of 5 Speakercraft TIME 5 speakers with TIME controller - $400
  • Set of five pre-construction rings - $40 delivered
  • Set of 2 Sonanace Cinema 2 subwoofers - $199 delivered
  • Set of two Sonance Cinema 2 subwoofer MDF backboxes - $100 (local pick-up)
  • Sonance 2120T subwoofer amplifier with rack-mount face plate - $84 delivered
  • Marantz NR1504 Receiver with AirPlay and streaming - $370 delivered
  • 60" Vizio 1080p LED HDTV and Sanus Mount - $876

Total for everything, excluding wire for the speakers: $2069

There's also the softer costs of the Savant HD-BaseT HDMI receiver for behind the TV, the Savant SSR-1000 remote control, IR emitter and a few other dribs and drabs to get the full total, but I'm happy with pulling the whole mini-theater system together, including 60" TV, for just over $2k. I'm sure there are probably ways to do better, but I did my best I could.
kopkiwi's Avatar kopkiwi 04:13 PM 03-11-2014
Quote:

Well Jim (and kopkiwi), if I really wanted to make you jealous.... tongue.gif
  • Set of 5 Speakercraft TIME 5 speakers with TIME controller - $400
  • Set of five pre-construction rings - $40 delivered
  • Set of 2 Sonanace Cinema 2 subwoofers - $199 delivered
  • Set of two Sonance Cinema 2 subwoofer MDF backboxes - $100 (local pick-up)
  • Sonance 2120T subwoofer amplifier with rack-mount face plate - $84 delivered
  • Marantz NR1504 Receiver with AirPlay and streaming - $370 delivered
  • 60" Vizio 1080p LED HDTV and Sanus Mount - $876

Total for everything, excluding wire for the speakers: $2069

There's also the softer costs of the Savant HD-BaseT HDMI receiver for behind the TV, the Savant SSR-1000 remote control, IR emitter and a few other dribs and drabs to get the full total, but I'm happy with pulling the whole mini-theater system together, including 60" TV, for just over $2k. I'm sure there are probably ways to do better, but I did my best I could.

Yeah. You suck :-P lol

Wonder if you Americans realize how lucky you are with your prices....
just jim's Avatar just jim 07:43 PM 03-11-2014
I'm with kopkiwi on this one! biggrin.gif

So many things I see on ebay, but "they" won't ship north of the boarder or if they will, the shipping is the same or more than the item! $35 shipping for a pair of sunglasses!?! ...plus the tax at 13%, including cost of shipping, plus duty if the item wasn't made in North America. And sometimes a brokerage fee at the boarder. mad.gif
Tedd's Avatar Tedd 05:59 AM 03-12-2014
There are postal receiving services along the border that you could use as your signing agent. Then you do your own importing.
The savings can be extreme. The savings on brokerage fees, cheaper shipping when staying within the US borders, are often
just the tip of the iceberg.
NickTheGreat's Avatar NickTheGreat 09:08 AM 03-12-2014
Quote:

That's no joke! We were in Oz for our honeymoon and I knew things would be expensive. But wow! eek.gif
kopkiwi's Avatar kopkiwi 01:09 PM 03-12-2014
Quote:

I just purchased an Epson 5010 from eBay. Cost $1500USD, worked out at about $2100NZD

To purchase that projector from NZ? $4500

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

That's no joke! We were in Oz for our honeymoon and I knew things would be expensive. But wow! eek.gif

NZ is next level up. Aussie is cheap in comparison.
fax6202's Avatar fax6202 08:07 PM 03-20-2014
Finishing Part I

I’m going to lend a hand to Tim’s finishing process to pay him back for the thousands of questions he has answered for me over the past couple years and more importantly, he’s a good friend of mine. Our adversary is a combination of Mahogany veneer and solid stock, and we are trying to achieve the look of the The Chatwal Hotel in NYC. We are going to take that pinkish hue that Mahogany seems to have and turn it into a deep rich brown that makes the wood look so good in many applications. The credit goes to a Fine Woodworking article from some time ago; I’m just tweaking it to the needs of this project.

First……sand….sand….sand….and then sand some more. Wipe down with distilled water to raise the grain, and sand lightly to finish it off. It’s so important to prepare the wood properly and I myself have been guilty of taking shortcuts here, and it bites me in the a** every time.

I’m going to use a sienna or amber colored water soluble powdered dye (TransFast Dye). This will eliminate the variation in color, which isn’t much; it will also give it depth when finished. I never use alcohol soluble dyes, nothing wrong with them; I just seem to never get rid of slight blotching. I am not exactly sure how I’ll mix the dye yet, it’s going to take some trial and error to dial in that first dye, and I may also dilute it more than normal, depending on how dark or light Tim wants it in the end. When this dries completely I may scuff just a little with fine grit sandpaper.

The second step will be another dye mix, only this time I’ll tint oil, Boiled Linseed Oil (BLO) with a liquid trans-tint dye made by homestead finishing products (which also makes the power dyes I use). The trans-tint is oil soluble which is necessary for this mix. I’ll play around here with the color/hue as well to dial in to Tim’s preference. I’ll pad the oil mixture on. I’m not exactly sure if Tim wants me to fill the pores of the wood, it’s probably best that we do, as Mahogany is an open grained wood. If I do I’ll just rub in a little rottenstone or pumice with BLO and wet sand with the slush like material. After a few hours we’ll wipe it down real good with Denatured Alcohol (DA).

When the oil has dried, we’ll work on the finish coat. We can go a number of different directions; Tim’s call. I prefer to use Shellac or should I say German shellac which I prefer over Indian shellac. It’s just a personal preference and I couldn’t tell the difference..lol. it was drilled into me by a Master Finisher I’ve had the pleasure to know quite well. Anyways, we can brush on Shellac or do a pseudo French Polish (FP) which is probably way too much labor. There is also a technique taught by Charles Neil, which involves rubbing out a finish by wet sanding with very fine grit paper using a soapy water solution. What I like about this is how you can really control the sheen, meaning you can go from semi-gloss to satin or vice a versa by switching to more or less coarse paper. Could also do a wipe-on Poly. Again, we can go in a number of directions with this step, the key is to nail the color/hue using the two step process above. Tim’s put his faith in me, hope I can help create a great finish.
First ... 26  27  28 29  30  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop