The Stonewater Cinema Build Thread - Page 33 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

post #961 of 1051 Old 07-21-2014, 11:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 76
TMcG.... Great to see you still working on the house. I'm really interested in your opinion of atmos. As you know, I love blowing my hard earned cash on the latest home theater mousetrap. What I'd love to see is a combination of neo x and atmos for a 9.2.6 setup (using the wide channels of Neo x and 6 object based speakers on the ceiling). I'm also really interested in seeing what type of speakers will look best and work best with my Aerial Acoustics setup.

I look forward to reading your CEDIA report.

In the interim..... GET GOING ON YOUR THEATER!!! Seriously though, keep up the great work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 1051 Old 07-22-2014, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychdoc View Post
TMcG.... Great to see you still working on the house. I'm really interested in your opinion of atmos. As you know, I love blowing my hard earned cash on the latest home theater mousetrap. What I'd love to see is a combination of neo x and atmos for a 9.2.6 setup (using the wide channels of Neo x and 6 object based speakers on the ceiling). I'm also really interested in seeing what type of speakers will look best and work best with my Aerial Acoustics setup.

I look forward to reading your CEDIA report.

In the interim..... GET GOING ON YOUR THEATER!!! Seriously though, keep up the great work.
Yes, I'm not sure there's a cure for upgrade-itis, just a momentary period of calm until you see the next big thing. By the way, have you heard Oppo will be working on a new native 4K Bluray player for proposed release sometime next year?

DTS Neo-X as a processing codec will probably go away (just like DTS-ES) in favor of DTS-UHD, their new multi-dimensional audio (MDA) format which will include their version of object-based audio. DTS made the announcement at this year's CES, but has since been completely silent about any specifics, including recommended speaker setup. Inside word is that they have a technology, but are still hashing out the details as we speak. I posted a bunch of links just a page or two back if you'd like to dig through the posts to find out more.

As of now, my plan is to wire for an 11 speaker main bed (LCR, 3 pairs of sides, 1 pair of rears), prewire for 6 in-ceiling speakers with plans to install 4 initially, 3 balancing subs and 4 LFE subs for a 11.7.4 system (or 11.4.4 if balancing subs aren't officially mentioned in the equation). I feel the 'strategic delay' with my theater build has really paid off because I'll be able to easily incorporate the new object-based audio platform(s) prior to closing up the walls.

It's been a while since I've been to CEDIA, but I think this year will be a watershed year of new product announcements and technologies to view and experience. I'll mainly be on the prowl for 4K projectors and object-based audio preamplifiers, but will certainly post my findings and/or impressions of anything interesting I happen to find.
post #963 of 1051 Old 07-22-2014, 03:03 PM

11.7.6. Overkill.... I LOVE IT!!!! I didn't count all my subs so I guess mine would actually be 9.4.6 if Atmos lets you work that configuration. I'm guessing it would and the wide channel would just become another set of side channels.

Thankfully, my soffit will allow me to slide into an Atmos setup as I could enter the wires through the wall then hide them in the 3/4" gap between my star ceiling and the regular ceiling. It won't be easy but it can be done.

It's interesting that OPPO would make a 4K bluray when an official standard hasn't been discussed for a disc.... or has it????? Fess up, what do you know??? If that is the case then I expect my Kaleidescape will need an upgrade sometime in the future.... that won't be cheap. But I still love my K system above all other things!!!!

As you know, I currently have the Sony 4K 1000ES projector and love it but until someone like Lumagen figures out how to stretch a 4K image so I can use my ISCO A- lens, I really have no interest in it. I know I can zoom but I don't like that solution at all.

Keep me up to date on all the 4K goodies, especially if someone figures out a solution to the "stretch" problem. Now get back to work.
post #964 of 1051 Old 07-22-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Yes, I'm not sure there's a cure for upgrade-itis, just a momentary period of calm until you see the next big thing. By the way, have you heard Oppo will be working on a new native 4K Bluray player for proposed release sometime next year?

DTS Neo-X as a processing codec will probably go away (just like DTS-ES) in favor of DTS-UHD, their new multi-dimensional audio (MDA) format which will include their version of object-based audio. DTS made the announcement at this year's CES, but has since been completely silent about any specifics, including recommended speaker setup. Inside word is that they have a technology, but are still hashing out the details as we speak. I posted a bunch of links just a page or two back if you'd like to dig through the posts to find out more.

As of now, my plan is to wire for an 11 speaker main bed (LCR, 3 pairs of sides, 1 pair of rears), prewire for 6 in-ceiling speakers with plans to install 4 initially, 3 balancing subs and 4 LFE subs for a 11.7.4 system (or 11.4.4 if balancing subs aren't officially mentioned in the equation). I feel the 'strategic delay' with my theater build has really paid off because I'll be able to easily incorporate the new object-based audio platform(s) prior to closing up the walls.

It's been a while since I've been to CEDIA, but I think this year will be a watershed year of new product announcements and technologies to view and experience. I'll mainly be on the prowl for 4K projectors and object-based audio preamplifiers, but will certainly post my findings and/or impressions of anything interesting I happen to find.
Well going to CEDIA huh.......

I've been thinking the same if I can get away from my football commitments. Though 4k projection isn't on my list.....most definitely looking for a processor/eq solution.

Back to work........a long night ahead!
post #965 of 1051 Old 07-22-2014, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychdoc View Post
It's interesting that OPPO would make a 4K bluray when an official standard hasn't been discussed for a disc.... or has it????? Fess up, what do you know??? If that is the case then I expect my Kaleidescape will need an upgrade sometime in the future.... that won't be cheap. But I still love my K system above all other things!!!!
Well, a lot of this is still clear as mud, but the BluRay Disc Association (BDA) approved plans to support 4K Blu Ray discs: http://www.whathifi.com/news/4k-blu-...t-release-2014

At least one manufacturers has introduced technology to master new 100GB Bluray media: http://www.cnet.com/news/100gb-discs...to-4k-blu-ray/

And of course the HDMI 2.0 specification has been finalized since last September: http://www.electronista.com/articles....ultra.hd.tvs/

Finally, HDCP 2.2 was just approved less than a month ago and now ready for testing new hardware: http://www.digital-cp.com/news/16

So it appears that all the stars are in line for 4k spinning media to exist, awaiting content and the hardware. If I were a betting man, the market leader in Bluray players is certainly not going to sit idly by while the market is moving forward. Same goes for Kaleidescape.

Sorry, I don't have any more information than this...and I'm probably telling you a lot you already know.

You'd better get your new set of in-ceiling Aerials on order!
post #966 of 1051 Old 07-23-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 999
When is theater work starting back up ? How's the basement coming ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #967 of 1051 Old 07-23-2014, 11:57 AM

Thanks TMcG. Actually, I'm always looking for new info and didn't know most of what you posted. Time to do a little digging I guess. Thanks for taking the time to post those links. I'll be curious what a 4K movie costs. I can't see them going up too much. If they do it will be the nail in the coffin as everyone will totally migrate to movie streaming (but more likely downloads in the case of 4K).

4K is pretty cool and I can see the difference on my 11.5 ft wide stewart screen. It's not a major difference but a difference. I'm also interested to see what they are going to do with the color standard. I'm getting a lot of reports about a new standard that will really make colors pop within 4K. Hopefully Sony will do another upgrade. At I least I hope they will.

And yes, I will look forward to any goodies Michael Kelly releases at Aerial Acoustics that can be used in an Atmos system.... I absolutely love my 20Ts in HT... they are so good I often loose focus of the movie and think to myself.... "geeeeez, that sounds good". I hope everyone has the same feeling from their equipment.
post #968 of 1051 Old 07-24-2014, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
When is theater work starting back up ? How's the basement coming ?
Hey Mike. Thanks for checking in. I am off next week and going to do everything in my power to clear all inspections / insulate / whatever by next Thursday or Friday so the drywallers can come in on Monday. I am taking another week off in August to work through all the finish work I can possibly finish in 10 days (a Friday off and a full week off flanked weekends). I should be close. To speed things up (and because I don't have the tools and generally don't want to deal with it) I have decided to hire out the 210 square feet of stone work for a very reasonable labor rate of $4 per sf, including all materials but the stone. Working during the evenings and then having a long labor day weekend should allow me to finish things up.

I fly to Denver right after Labor Day for 2014 CEDIA and when I get back....it's on for the theater! Another AVS Member may make a special guest appearance to help kick things off right! Not set in stone, but we are trying to coordinate schedules.

Last edited by TMcG; 07-24-2014 at 12:36 PM.
post #969 of 1051 Old 07-24-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Another AVS Member may make a special guest appearance to help kick things off right! Not set in stone, but we are trying to coordinate schedules.
Is it Logan? Given the state of "Progress", that would only be fitting.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #970 of 1051 Old 07-24-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Hey Mike. Thanks for checking in. I am off next week and going to do everything in my power to clear all inspections / insulate / whatever by next Thursday or Friday so the drywallers can come in on Monday. I am taking another week off in August to work through all the finish work I can possibly finish in 10 days (a Friday off and a full week off flanked weekends). I should be close. To speed things up (and because I don't have the tools and generally don't want to deal with it) I have decided to hire out the 210 square feet of stone work for a very reasonable labor rate of $4 per sf, including all materials but the stone. Working during the evenings and then having a long labor day weekend should allow me to finish things up.

I fly to Denver right after Labor Day for 2014 CEDIA and when I get back....it's on for the theater! Another AVS Member may make a special guest appearance to help kick things off right! Not set in stone, but we are trying to coordinate schedules.
Without a plan all you have is chaos. Nice. Sometimes I wish you guys were all closer to me, I'd come lend a hand and come learn some stuff or trade labor. Seems like no one in NE builds dedicated theaters ?

I wanted to attend Cedia. One of my local friends is a custom installer and is attending, offered for me to tag along but with the twins it's just not possible this go around. I'll expect TMcG updates !

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #971 of 1051 Old 07-24-2014, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
Is it Logan? Given the state of "Progress", that would only be fitting.
Are you taking sensitivity training from KNKKNK?

No, it's not Tom but a former HTOM winner

Quote:
Without a plan all you have is chaos. Nice. Sometimes I wish you guys were all closer to me, I'd come lend a hand and come learn some stuff or trade labor. Seems like no one in NE builds dedicated theaters ?

I wanted to attend Cedia. One of my local friends is a custom installer and is attending, offered for me to tag along but with the twins it's just not possible this go around. I'll expect TMcG updates !
I'd definitely take the help if you were around. And I will post as much as I can from CEDIA, including my impressions of the newest projectors, object-based audio processing and any other interesting products.

Last edited by TMcG; 07-24-2014 at 02:18 PM.
post #972 of 1051 Old 07-24-2014, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Are you taking sensitivity training from KNKKNK?
Anything I can do to help .. just let me know...

AirBenji, TMcG and BllDo like this.

My Basement HT Construction ~ Faster than the speed of Dark

"I've cut that piece 3 times and its still too short..."
post #973 of 1051 Old 07-24-2014, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNKKNK;26014682[url
[/URL]
Ha ha! Love it!!

Remember....it was a "strategic delay" waiting for object-based audio, right?
post #974 of 1051 Old 07-24-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Hey Tim

I'll be at CEDIA. We should meet up for a show floor demo or two, or a beer, or both.

Nyal

Acoustic Frontiers: design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #975 of 1051 Old 07-25-2014, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post
Hey Tim

I'll be at CEDIA. We should meet up for a show floor demo or two, or a beer, or both.

Nyal
Absolutely! Sending you an e-mail.
post #976 of 1051 Old 07-25-2014, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Put Tim and Nyal in a room together and that's enough knowledge to invent a theater that uses calculated rifts in the space-time continuum to acoustically treat a room.
Mfusick likes this.
post #977 of 1051 Old 07-25-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

There is a new surround format on the horizon. It's called "way beyond ATMOS extreme" and it features 96.12.8 channels of surround sound.

I'm guessing Matt probably will jump on board with this:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10014539_10152570977627165_6231450503046562676_n.jpg
Views:	882
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	179506  
ambesolman, BrolicBeast and BllDo like this.

-

post #978 of 1051 Old 07-25-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Hmmm… Maybe I should have Nyal add that to my layout? Would that constitute scope creep?

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #979 of 1051 Old 07-25-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfusick View Post
there is a new surround format on the horizon. It's called "way beyond atmos extreme" and it features 96.12.8 channels of surround sound.

I'm guessing matt probably will jump on board with this:

gimme, gimme, gimme.
post #980 of 1051 Old 07-26-2014, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Put Tim and Nyal in a room together and that's enough knowledge to invent a theater that uses calculated rifts in the space-time continuum to acoustically treat a room.
Well said! Not yet had the luxury to meet Nyal or use his services but i have met Tim twice when he came to visit my city and he is like a walking talking wikipedia!
post #981 of 1051 Old 07-26-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikgrao View Post
Well said! Not yet had the luxury to meet Nyal or use his services but i have met Tim twice when he came to visit my city and he is like a walking talking wikipedia!
Both played HUGE roles in the design of my home theater
Mfusick likes this.
post #982 of 1051 Old 07-27-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Hey,

I notice you are taking a beating from a lot of people here about your progress, or lack of it and the push back on a completion date. Don't listen to those naysayers and all that negativity. I got your back brother and I'm sending a positive flow of energy your way to fend off all the negative flow. Transmitting now! :-)

You can't help that you violated rule number one of theater building.....which is don't EVER set a completion date because as a result you will be constantly beat over the head with it.

Now carry on!

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #983 of 1051 Old 07-27-2014, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post
You can't help that you violated rule number one of theater building.....which is don't EVER set a completion date because as a result you will be constantly beat over the head with it.
Constantly?
I'm into my 3rd year of building, haven't been beaten over the head by my completion date yet. It's still looking ok for 2017-06-06...

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #984 of 1051 Old 07-28-2014, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
LOL! I'm afraid Nyal would carry 99.9999% of that load as I've always hired out the acoustic modeling and analysis. I certainly know enough to be dangerous with some of the certifications I have, but it is a perishable skill if not used frequently and updated often with continued education. It's well worth the money, considering the room is the greatest influence on final sound quality. At the time, this was one the main reasons I took advantage of the Erskine Group layout plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
Hmmm… Maybe I should have Nyal add that to my layout? Would that constitute scope creep?
Just let me know before you order....I'd like to buy stock in DIYSoundgroup. I can just see the conversation with your wife: "Honey, all you have to do is barrel roll or commando into the room! And you can only sit by yourself to preserve the best 360 degree audio quality!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post
Hey,

I notice you are taking a beating from a lot of people here about your progress, or lack of it and the push back on a completion date. Don't listen to those naysayers and all that negativity. I got your back brother and I'm sending a positive flow of energy your way to fend off all the negative flow. Transmitting now! :-)

Like water off a duck's back, my friend! Although I really do want to get things wrapped up as soon as I can, especially with the basement and the theater's soundproof shell. Once that's done I will expect to slow down a bit with the finish carpentry onward as the finish work will take time, but I will keep up the effort the best my schedule and family life will allow.
post #985 of 1051 Old 07-28-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
There is a new surround format on the horizon. It's called "way beyond ATMOS extreme" and it features 96.12.8 channels of surround sound.

I'm guessing Matt probably will jump on board with this:

Meh, no floor speakers....
J_P_A likes this.
post #986 of 1051 Old 07-28-2014, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post
Ha! No sweet spot here!
post #987 of 1051 Old 07-28-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post
Haha! "FLOOR SPEAKERS"

-

post #988 of 1051 Old 07-28-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad4.0 View Post
Ha! No sweet spot here!
The sweet spot is everywhere, as long as it's the center of that circle! Lol.
post #989 of 1051 Old 07-28-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 166
post #990 of 1051 Old 07-28-2014, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21