The Stonewater Cinema Build Thread - Page 33 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #961 of 967 Old 07-21-2014, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 68
TMcG.... Great to see you still working on the house. I'm really interested in your opinion of atmos. As you know, I love blowing my hard earned cash on the latest home theater mousetrap. What I'd love to see is a combination of neo x and atmos for a 9.2.6 setup (using the wide channels of Neo x and 6 object based speakers on the ceiling). I'm also really interested in seeing what type of speakers will look best and work best with my Aerial Acoustics setup.

I look forward to reading your CEDIA report.

In the interim..... GET GOING ON YOUR THEATER!!! Seriously though, keep up the great work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 967 Old Yesterday, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychdoc View Post
TMcG.... Great to see you still working on the house. I'm really interested in your opinion of atmos. As you know, I love blowing my hard earned cash on the latest home theater mousetrap. What I'd love to see is a combination of neo x and atmos for a 9.2.6 setup (using the wide channels of Neo x and 6 object based speakers on the ceiling). I'm also really interested in seeing what type of speakers will look best and work best with my Aerial Acoustics setup.

I look forward to reading your CEDIA report.

In the interim..... GET GOING ON YOUR THEATER!!! Seriously though, keep up the great work.
Yes, I'm not sure there's a cure for upgrade-itis, just a momentary period of calm until you see the next big thing. By the way, have you heard Oppo will be working on a new native 4K Bluray player for proposed release sometime next year?

DTS Neo-X as a processing codec will probably go away (just like DTS-ES) in favor of DTS-UHD, their new multi-dimensional audio (MDA) format which will include their version of object-based audio. DTS made the announcement at this year's CES, but has since been completely silent about any specifics, including recommended speaker setup. Inside word is that they have a technology, but are still hashing out the details as we speak. I posted a bunch of links just a page or two back if you'd like to dig through the posts to find out more.

As of now, my plan is to wire for an 11 speaker main bed (LCR, 3 pairs of sides, 1 pair of rears), prewire for 6 in-ceiling speakers with plans to install 4 initially, 3 balancing subs and 4 LFE subs for a 11.7.4 system (or 11.4.4 if balancing subs aren't officially mentioned in the equation). I feel the 'strategic delay' with my theater build has really paid off because I'll be able to easily incorporate the new object-based audio platform(s) prior to closing up the walls.

It's been a while since I've been to CEDIA, but I think this year will be a watershed year of new product announcements and technologies to view and experience. I'll mainly be on the prowl for 4K projectors and object-based audio preamplifiers, but will certainly post my findings and/or impressions of anything interesting I happen to find.
post #963 of 967 Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM

11.7.6. Overkill.... I LOVE IT!!!! I didn't count all my subs so I guess mine would actually be 9.4.6 if Atmos lets you work that configuration. I'm guessing it would and the wide channel would just become another set of side channels.

Thankfully, my soffit will allow me to slide into an Atmos setup as I could enter the wires through the wall then hide them in the 3/4" gap between my star ceiling and the regular ceiling. It won't be easy but it can be done.

It's interesting that OPPO would make a 4K bluray when an official standard hasn't been discussed for a disc.... or has it????? Fess up, what do you know??? If that is the case then I expect my Kaleidescape will need an upgrade sometime in the future.... that won't be cheap. But I still love my K system above all other things!!!!

As you know, I currently have the Sony 4K 1000ES projector and love it but until someone like Lumagen figures out how to stretch a 4K image so I can use my ISCO A- lens, I really have no interest in it. I know I can zoom but I don't like that solution at all.

Keep me up to date on all the 4K goodies, especially if someone figures out a solution to the "stretch" problem. Now get back to work.
post #964 of 967 Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Yes, I'm not sure there's a cure for upgrade-itis, just a momentary period of calm until you see the next big thing. By the way, have you heard Oppo will be working on a new native 4K Bluray player for proposed release sometime next year?

DTS Neo-X as a processing codec will probably go away (just like DTS-ES) in favor of DTS-UHD, their new multi-dimensional audio (MDA) format which will include their version of object-based audio. DTS made the announcement at this year's CES, but has since been completely silent about any specifics, including recommended speaker setup. Inside word is that they have a technology, but are still hashing out the details as we speak. I posted a bunch of links just a page or two back if you'd like to dig through the posts to find out more.

As of now, my plan is to wire for an 11 speaker main bed (LCR, 3 pairs of sides, 1 pair of rears), prewire for 6 in-ceiling speakers with plans to install 4 initially, 3 balancing subs and 4 LFE subs for a 11.7.4 system (or 11.4.4 if balancing subs aren't officially mentioned in the equation). I feel the 'strategic delay' with my theater build has really paid off because I'll be able to easily incorporate the new object-based audio platform(s) prior to closing up the walls.

It's been a while since I've been to CEDIA, but I think this year will be a watershed year of new product announcements and technologies to view and experience. I'll mainly be on the prowl for 4K projectors and object-based audio preamplifiers, but will certainly post my findings and/or impressions of anything interesting I happen to find.
Well going to CEDIA huh.......

I've been thinking the same if I can get away from my football commitments. Though 4k projection isn't on my list.....most definitely looking for a processor/eq solution.

Back to work........a long night ahead!
post #965 of 967 Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychdoc View Post
It's interesting that OPPO would make a 4K bluray when an official standard hasn't been discussed for a disc.... or has it????? Fess up, what do you know??? If that is the case then I expect my Kaleidescape will need an upgrade sometime in the future.... that won't be cheap. But I still love my K system above all other things!!!!
Well, a lot of this is still clear as mud, but the BluRay Disc Association (BDA) approved plans to support 4K Blu Ray discs: http://www.whathifi.com/news/4k-blu-...t-release-2014

At least one manufacturers has introduced technology to master new 100GB Bluray media: http://www.cnet.com/news/100gb-discs...to-4k-blu-ray/

And of course the HDMI 2.0 specification has been finalized since last September: http://www.electronista.com/articles....ultra.hd.tvs/

Finally, HDCP 2.2 was just approved less than a month ago and now ready for testing new hardware: http://www.digital-cp.com/news/16

So it appears that all the stars are in line for 4k spinning media to exist, awaiting content and the hardware. If I were a betting man, the market leader in Bluray players is certainly not going to sit idly by while the market is moving forward. Same goes for Kaleidescape.

Sorry, I don't have any more information than this...and I'm probably telling you a lot you already know.

You'd better get your new set of in-ceiling Aerials on order!
post #966 of 967 Old Today, 06:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 651
When is theater work starting back up ? How's the basement coming ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #967 of 967 Old Today, 10:57 AM

Thanks TMcG. Actually, I'm always looking for new info and didn't know most of what you posted. Time to do a little digging I guess. Thanks for taking the time to post those links. I'll be curious what a 4K movie costs. I can't see them going up too much. If they do it will be the nail in the coffin as everyone will totally migrate to movie streaming (but more likely downloads in the case of 4K).

4K is pretty cool and I can see the difference on my 11.5 ft wide stewart screen. It's not a major difference but a difference. I'm also interested to see what they are going to do with the color standard. I'm getting a lot of reports about a new standard that will really make colors pop within 4K. Hopefully Sony will do another upgrade. At I least I hope they will.

And yes, I will look forward to any goodies Michael Kelly releases at Aerial Acoustics that can be used in an Atmos system.... I absolutely love my 20Ts in HT... they are so good I often loose focus of the movie and think to myself.... "geeeeez, that sounds good". I hope everyone has the same feeling from their equipment.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page