Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
....or Voice of Satan channels...
post #993 of 1051 Old 08-01-2014, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 316
So......got a 'small' delivery today.... the first of four IST UXL-18 subwoofer drivers

MOAR WOOFAGE!!
post #994 of 1051 Old 08-01-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 150
You're rushing it, you should have waited for the 15" speaker we* on the best hifi forum in Sweden are developing (prototype off to be measured anytime now).

* I meant a general we, my only personal contribution have been cheering on from the sideline.

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #995 of 1051 Old 08-01-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Nice woofers

I probably should know this or be not so lazy to not go back and check but you are going sealed or ported? You also said the first 4, so you mean you are actually going to get more?

MOTHER OF GOD.

I like it.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #996 of 1051 Old 08-01-2014, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Nice woofers

I probably should know this or be not so lazy to not go back and check but you are going sealed or ported? You also said the first 4, so you mean you are actually going to get more?

MOTHER OF GOD.

I like it.
Yes, four UXL-18s in total for the LFE and three of the Procella P10si for balancing subs. I bought the DIY Soundgroup 4 cubic foot flat pack sealed sub box for the cabinets.

I looked at doing two dual driver ported subs tuned to 17Hz but opted against that route because if I ever had to take these subs with me, they are much more reusable and/or saleable as single units. Plus there was little sonic tradeoff from the modeling. I did have to beef up my planned amp purchase, but that was just a couple hundred bucks more for the higher amplification.

Last edited by TMcG; 08-01-2014 at 12:03 PM.
post #997 of 1051 Old 08-01-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It's going to pound either way. I'm racking my head against the wall trying to chase down my bass solution now, I think I'm over thinking it. I've got a thread running in the DIY section basically trying to figure out the best possible bass for $2000 in drivers. I'm still all over the place though.

You are right sealed takes a little more power, but extension is good to ULF as well. It's a trade off for that, or the SPL and power of ported. If you don't need more SPL then sealed is the way to go. I'm just concerned in my huge room sealed won't be enough, if I could add 10db to sealed I'd choose it in a second. For a small room or a basement build with room gain sealed is a proven winner. Plus your upgrade path is easy.. ADD MORE!

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #998 of 1051 Old 08-01-2014, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post
You're rushing it, you should have waited for the 15" speaker we* on the best hifi forum in Sweden are developing (prototype off to be measured anytime now).

* I meant a general we, my only personal contribution have been cheering on from the sideline.
If a quart of paint costs $60, I couldn't afford your $1.2 million USD 15" subwoofers!
post #999 of 1051 Old 08-01-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If a quart of paint costs $60, I couldn't afford your $1.2 million USD 15" subwoofers!
We're only spec:ing them, they are US made. You'd get them cheaper than we will.

We're using the same guy as made your UXL-18:s I believe.

Last edited by Nightlord; 08-01-2014 at 12:30 PM.
post #1000 of 1051 Old 08-01-2014, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's going to pound either way. I'm racking my head against the wall trying to chase down my bass solution now, I think I'm over thinking it. I've got a thread running in the DIY section basically trying to figure out the best possible bass for $2000 in drivers. I'm still all over the place though.
I was like you....and with the same budget. Just like you, I wanted the best 'bang for the buck'. In planning I went from two branded 15" woofers from a reputable manufacturer, to an IB setup with four 18" woofers, to two large ported DIY subs and finally, the four single 18" subs. I think I literally explored every option.

$150 of 3/4" MDF and $50 worth of construction materials would get you the DIY cabinets and $1800 USD for four UXL-18 drivers will put you right at $2000. Add in the right iNuke, Peavy, Crown or similar amplification (even second-hand) and you will be sitting pretty around $2600 all-in. There are cheaper drivers to cut down on costs, but will they do the job to your satisfaction??
post #1001 of 1051 Old 08-01-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yup! Exactly. Although with the cheaper drivers I'd just build more! Haha. So like (8) of a $250 driver vs (4) of a $500 driver etc...

It seems like the alpine 15" is a good value, especially since it works well in folded horns. I'm debating horns vs ported I think. Either way I want at least 2 in the front behind the screen, ideally one elevated, and another in the back as a bare minimum plus smoothing subs on the side walls. I think what I want is like a Lilmike lilwrecker but bigger... like a BIGwrecker! Or a "homewrecker". God I love that term. I want to wreck my home.

-

post #1002 of 1051 Old 08-01-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick
I'm debating horns vs ported I think.
You don't want the low end, I take it?

I'm definitely never going with anything other than sealed myself...

post #1003 of 1051 Old 08-01-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post
You don't want the low end, I take it?

I'm definitely never going with anything other than sealed myself...
You obviously have not read my thread yet: Need help designing serious bass solution for a big theater..horns vs ported or both?

In a summary: I WANT IT ALL. I'll spot you 10db on your sealed system and still hit 10hz at reference.

Right now LTD02 is working up this:

Single UXL driver, 1 watt. lol.

A little more power:

Not sure though. Might want to go ported at 13.88hz instead. Still a work in progress. I'd like a few monster horns tuned at like 15hz I think. Otherwise ported. Sealed subs ... not enough

I recently had the ability to apply a subsonic filter on a system flat to single digits and I can't say I saw much difference with a hard cut 48db/octave slope at 13hz or not. Sounded the same, I actually slightly preferred the high passed. I'm convinced that below 15hz it's just less important. Get some crowson transducers and call it a day. It's just so hard to move that air and so inefficient it's futile; at least for me in a 8000 cubic foot space. I envy the basement guys with little rooms and cabin gain with regards to the levels of bass they can achieve.

-

post #1004 of 1051 Old 08-01-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
In a summary: I WANT IT ALL. I'll spot you 10db on your sealed system and still hit 10hz at reference.
Theoretically - if my room would be infinitely rigid and no leaks, I should be able to hit 118dB @ 3Hz. Now, the reality check will probably be a bitch...

post #1005 of 1051 Old 08-01-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

But the problem is that at 3hz you need about 150db to feel that. 118db at 3hz is only going to rattle paper a little. As you get higher in freq the SPL required to appreciate the freq will drop but your still over 120db until your into the double digits. You'll fall short. Single digits is for measuring and bragging rights on the forum, it's not indicative at all of a great theater experience. Your ability to "feel" infrasonics actually is much better in the 10hz-20hz range- that is what people can appreciate (if you can make it loud enough).

If you build or have a killer system flat to single digits just apply a subsonic high pass filter with a steep slope at 10hz and take a listen. You won't even tell which is which without measuring. I've tried it. Couple the fact together almost none of the content or media you watch has much of anything at those frequencies anyways. Your not missing anything porting at 13hz. You are actually gaining SPL in the ranges you need it more making your system more flat without needing to hammer your amps and drivers with EQ and cause distortion or heat or distress. You can't boost a sealed system "flat" even with room gain added in and have it sound good at or near full tilt volumes. Doing that just lowered your headroom and dynamic range and wastes a ton of watts.

-

post #1006 of 1051 Old 08-01-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
But the problem is that at 3hz you need about 150db to feel that. 118db at 3hz is only going to rattle paper a little. As you get higher in freq the SPL required to appreciate the freq will drop but your still over 120db until your into the double digits. You'll fall short. Single digits is for measuring and bragging rights on the forum, it's not indicative at all of a great theater experience. Your ability to "feel" infrasonics actually is much better in the 10hz-20hz range- that is what people can appreciate (if you can make it loud enough).

If you build or have a killer system flat to single digits just apply a subsonic high pass filter with a steep slope at 10hz and take a listen. You won't even tell which is which without measuring. I've tried it. Couple the fact together almost none of the content or media you watch has much of anything at those frequencies anyways. Your not missing anything porting at 13hz. You are actually gaining SPL in the ranges you need it more making your system more flat without needing to hammer your amps and drivers with EQ and cause distortion or heat or distress. You can't boost a sealed system "flat" even with room gain added in and have it sound good at or near full tilt volumes. Doing that just lowered your headroom and dynamic range and wastes a ton of watts.
Actually 118dB is the JND @ 3Hz, that's why I remembered it, because the calculation for my room volume matched the pump capacity. It's nowhere near where I'd want it if I were to 'play' it, as I have house curve preference.

We'll see. I have quite the tilt on my living room subs with good functionality (house construction is the limiter actually, don't want to wreck anything!) and the cinema will be sooo much easier to pressurize and with a few litres more pump capacity and more amp power. Speakers are made to be EQed at LF... you buy three times as many as you would have in the bassreflex version and add an infra-boost card in the active crossover and then you dial in the boots slopes, gain and Q-value for crossover region.

post #1007 of 1051 Old 08-01-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It's doable. . I just can't afford to chase that in my 8000cubic foot room considering the effect is so small I'm better off chasing something else I get more bang for the buck with. I'm jealous though. Pant flapping. That's always fun.

-

post #1008 of 1051 Old 08-01-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's doable. . I just can't afford to chase that in my 8000cubic foot room considering the effect is so small I'm better off chasing something else I get more bang for the buck with. I'm jealous though. Pant flapping. That's always fun.
Yeah... that's quite a difference.... Mine's less than 3000.

post #1009 of 1051 Old 08-01-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Have you tried crowson transducers ?

-

post #1010 of 1051 Old 08-01-2014, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Have you tried crowson transducers ?
No, I've always used the full-size Buttkicker LFEs. Much larger magnet structure that can handle a lot more power, if needed.

I like the simpler installation of the Crowson's which just slip underneath the seat itself vs. bolted to the structure of the seat as with the Buttkicker LFE, but I prefer the larger unit.

There's a couple of 'shootout' threads on the Forum and the LFE won, but the Crowson was a close second. Auro's shakers were a distant third.
post #1011 of 1051 Old 08-01-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 319
How did I miss all this sub talk?

You guys and your ported subs......ie. want to hit 130 db's!

My four sealed can hit 128 db above 50 Hz........but then again why?

Hitting 115 db's down to single digits is PLENTY! Even 124 db's at 20 Hz and above is darn right scary!

If I do add more subs which I'm thinking about, purpose would make system cruise along without any stress or compression, not for added SPL......four suffice but can be pushed to their limits.

Four sealed UXL's are good enough for 99.9% of population!!!
post #1012 of 1051 Old 08-01-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It's all a matter of space and the room too. At my room and distance I'm down quite a few db from you. So if you system is doing reference, mine won't

I'm trying to figure out a trip to go audition Notnyts subs; he's got my ideal system. Probably the best I've seen (ever). He had (8) LMS Ultra's with 50,000 watts.

Yes you read that properly. That is $8000 in just drivers and 50,000 watts of amplification. He originally did a sealed system but although it could kick 4 Seaton submersives in the teeth it wasn't enough for him. So he ported them in monster boxes with a 15hz tune. Haha. That's nuts. It's so beyond crazy it's laughable.

If you want to talk subs jump into my thread I linked above. I'm trying to figure out the best possible subwoofer solution for $2000 in drivers. No pussified WAF factor space restraints either. I'm ready to fold giant horns or whatever. No holds barred. Currently we are reverse engineering/improving Submaximus (UXL18 in big folded horn +16db over sealed at 20hz) and a few of Lilmike's designs. I'm trying to keep up.

But alas... I hate to derail Tim's thread anymore. Especially since he's been making lightning progress on this theater, I don't want to subract away from that or steal his sunshine

-

post #1013 of 1051 Old 08-01-2014, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So......got a 'small' delivery today.... the first of four IST UXL-18 subwoofer drivers

MOAR WOOFAGE!!
Mark has changed his packaging.......kinda like the round package.

Well, what's your first thought of carbon fiber impregnated driver?

Has quite the motor...........

BTW T, what are you thinking regarding amps? A pair of Crests or Peavey's would be the ticket.
post #1014 of 1051 Old 08-01-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But alas... I hate to derail Tim's thread anymore. Especially since he's been making lightning progress on this theater, I don't want to subract away from that or steal his sunshine

post #1015 of 1051 Old 08-01-2014, 09:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Tim you building those subs soon ?

-

post #1016 of 1051 Old 08-02-2014, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Well, what's your first thought of carbon fiber impregnated driver?

Has quite the motor...........

BTW T, what are you thinking regarding amps? A pair of Crests or Peavey's would be the ticket.
I couldn't believe how heavy the package was when I first picked it up. It's one beefy driver and a shame all that gorgeous carbon fiber is going to be hidden behind fabric panels because I really like the look. I can't thank you enough for the recommendation on the drivers. I think they will do just the trick!

I'm going with a single Peavy or Crown amp to drive all four as per your recommendation and just like your system. I'm in no rush to make that purchase until I go to wire up the rack!

Quote:
Tim you building those subs soon ?
Not until late September at earliest when I go to build out the baffle wall. I'll be using the Mario-approved build method....hopefully with a similar end result!
post #1017 of 1051 Old 08-02-2014, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out a trip to go audition Notnyts subs; he's got my ideal system. Probably the best I've seen (ever). He had (8) LMS Ultra's with 50,000 watts.

Yes you read that properly. That is $8000 in just drivers and 50,000 watts of amplification. He originally did a sealed system but although it could kick 4 Seaton submersives in the teeth it wasn't enough for him. So he ported them in monster boxes with a 15hz tune. Haha. That's nuts. It's so beyond crazy it's laughable.
Interesting. The most nuts I know is a friend of mine in Stockholm ( the guy who made the cabinets for my stone speakers ), who's using the same elements as I will, but while I will have 6 sealed, he's got 24 mounted 2 and 2 to cancel vibrations. That's close to $20,000 for the drivers....(If the subwoofers would have been bought assembled instead of built as DIY, it would have been $100,000...)