post #1021 of 1036 Old 08-02-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Does anyone know how much polyfill I need to put in each cabinet? Any polyfill supplier recommendations? Parts Express sells an Acousta-Stuf Polyfill that is extremely expensive. They must make it with pulverized unicorn horns or something.

Walmart had THIS. What does everyone use?

@doublewing11 - Are you happy with the Speakon connectors and other parts you bought to finish out the boxes? Anything you would change? Thanks.
UXL's have low QTC......so you can have minimal stuffing or stuff all you want to lower Q.

No joke, I lined all cabs with one inch Linacoustic RC and just used spray adhesive. Subs sound great and have no ambition to stuff more. I used 10-32 screws so I can remove drivers at my pleasure.

Connects, I used Speakons and I love them!!! Should be goto connection for everything audio!

On another note, I liked rubber gasket so didn't remove it......some do. I strongly advise still use 1/4 neoprene gasket foam.....it's Basso bass approved!

My Build Threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by doublewing11; 08-02-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1036 Old 08-02-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Speakon connectors are the best. Period. Everything else is amateur hour.
doublewing11 likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1023 of 1036 Old 08-07-2014, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Great chat today, thanks. Here's to more

post #1024 of 1036 Old 08-14-2014, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 289
So....I received my third IST UXL-18 driver today. Unfortunately UPS decided to use it for impact testing. Claim has been filed and Mark at IST has been great to work with to resolve the issue....

post #1025 of 1036 Old 08-14-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Ouch! Can you do a replacement basket swap? Or buy another with the ins money and sell this one to me and I'll fix it :). Actually I have no clue what the basket costs but I bet it's not cheap on second thought.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1026 of 1036 Old 08-14-2014, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 67
It's just a preview of what your Sheetrock will look like when you fire those bad boys up!
doublewing11 and TMcG like this.

The Moving Pictures Theater Construction Thread:

Houston GTG - Summer 2014

post #1027 of 1036 Old 08-14-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Oh, that's a sad sight. . Hope it works out.

Under construction:
post #1028 of 1036 Old 08-14-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
So....I received my third IST UXL-18 driver today. Unfortunately UPS decided to use it for impact testing. Claim has been filed and Mark at IST has been great to work with to resolve the issue....

Yikes!!!!!!!

Mark sure changed his packing. The boxes mine were shipped in were all well packed with lots of padding to combat occasional "Scottish games UPS throw!"

GOOD TO HEAR ISSUE IS RESOLVED!!!!

My Build Threads

post #1029 of 1036 Old 08-18-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Dang what bad luck!

That driver is garbage, only the motor is salvageable and its epoxied to that broke frame so not worth messing with trying to fix..... If it were a modular driver there could be options.

GL with the claim.
post #1030 of 1036 Old 08-18-2014, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 37
My second UXL18 showed up today. I would have been pissssssssssssssssed if I had waited that long and it showed up in that condition.

My Home Theater Build:
post #1031 of 1036 Old 08-18-2014, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, it was months of wait for the components to come in for the woofers and it's unfortunate that this happened. We're working through the claim stuff at the moment. Another bummer is that there are no more blank dust caps available and it could take some time to get new ones in inventory for a replacement to be made. The fourth woofer should be shipping by tomorrow and who knows when the replacement will be available for shipment.

And you're absolutely right, Nick....the driver has to be junked and can't be salvaged.

post #1032 of 1036 Old 08-18-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Yes, it was months of wait for the components to come in for the woofers and it's unfortunate that this happened. We're working through the claim stuff at the moment. Another bummer is that there are no more blank dust caps available and it could take some time to get new ones in inventory for a replacement to be made. The fourth woofer should be shipping by tomorrow and who knows when the replacement will be available for shipment.

And you're absolutely right, Nick....the driver has to be junked and can't be salvaged.
Is the dust cap damaged? Otherwise send that back.

You might be able to make a buttkicker out of it.

Under construction:
post #1033 of 1036 Old 08-18-2014, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Cedia 2014

Flight booked? - check
Hotel booked? - check
Registration complete? - check
CEDIA expo app downloaded and installed? - check
iPhone memory card clear and ready to shoot hundreds of pictures? - check
Arrangements made with AVS Peeps @KNKKNK @dlbeck and @BrolicBeast ? - check, check and check!!!

After clearing a bit of uncertainty in my work travel schedule, I was very happy to book travel and confirm attendance at this year's CEDIA show, which should be much more interesting than most other years with Atmos, Auro 3D, DTS UHD (or MDA), new 4K products, new OLED displays, and a huge range of automation products for the connected home. It will be great to meet some fellow AVS Members.

I'm not sure if I am able to disclose this now or not, but all of us will be attending some very special invite-only events at the show. More on that later.

I'll be sure to take plenty of photos, videos and pictures and post updates when I can.

If anybody has any requests for a specific booth visit, please let me know and I will try to accommodate!

Last edited by TMcG; 08-19-2014 at 03:03 AM.
post #1034 of 1036 Old 08-18-2014, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:

Flight booked? - check
Hotel booked? - check
Registration complete? - check
CEDIA expo app downloaded and installed? - check
iPhone memory card clear and ready to shoot hundreds of pictures? - check
Arrangements made with AVS Peeps @KNKKNK @dlbeck and @BrolicBeast ? - check, check and check!!!

After clearing a bit of uncertainty in my work travel schedule, I was very happy to book travel and confirm attendance at this year's CEDIA show, which should be much more interesting than most other years with Atmos, Auro 3D, DTS UHD (or MDA), new 4K products, new OLED displays, and a huge range of automation products for the connected home. It should be very interesting and it will be great to meet some fellow AVS Members.

I'm not sure if I am able to disclose this now or not, but all of us will be attending some very special invite-only events at the show, each of which should be very interesting.

I'll be sure to take plenty of photos, videos and pictures and post updates when I can.

If anybody has any requests for a specific booth visit, please let me know and I will try to accommodate!
This is bound to be the most significant CEDIA EXPO in years! Although I was leaning against it with my one battery, I may actually bring the video camera.
post #1035 of 1036 Old 08-18-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 156
CEDIA can't come fast enough. Thanks again for coordinating all this TMCG!
post #1036 of 1036 Old 08-19-2014, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
CEDIA can't come fast enough. Thanks again for coordinating all this TMCG!
It will be like dying and going to heaven. Unfortunately CEDIA ends and we must return home. I look forward to hear the news and all the wonderful stuff that I can add to my wish list.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page