The Stonewater Cinema Build Thread - Page 35 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 60Likes

post #1021 of 1129 Old 08-02-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Does anyone know how much polyfill I need to put in each cabinet? Any polyfill supplier recommendations? Parts Express sells an Acousta-Stuf Polyfill that is extremely expensive. They must make it with pulverized unicorn horns or something.

Walmart had THIS. What does everyone use?

@doublewing11 - Are you happy with the Speakon connectors and other parts you bought to finish out the boxes? Anything you would change? Thanks.
UXL's have low QTC......so you can have minimal stuffing or stuff all you want to lower Q.

No joke, I lined all cabs with one inch Linacoustic RC and just used spray adhesive. Subs sound great and have no ambition to stuff more. I used 10-32 screws so I can remove drivers at my pleasure.

Connects, I used Speakons and I love them!!! Should be goto connection for everything audio!

On another note, I liked rubber gasket so didn't remove it......some do. I strongly advise still use 1/4 neoprene gasket foam.....it's Basso bass approved!

Last edited by doublewing11; 08-02-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1129 Old 08-02-2014, 07:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 1197
Speakon connectors are the best. Period. Everything else is amateur hour.
doublewing11 likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1023 of 1129 Old 08-07-2014, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Great chat today, thanks. Here's to more

Creekside Stone Cinema
post #1024 of 1129 Old 08-14-2014, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 372
So....I received my third IST UXL-18 driver today. Unfortunately UPS decided to use it for impact testing. Claim has been filed and Mark at IST has been great to work with to resolve the issue....

post #1025 of 1129 Old 08-14-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Ouch! Can you do a replacement basket swap? Or buy another with the ins money and sell this one to me and I'll fix it :). Actually I have no clue what the basket costs but I bet it's not cheap on second thought.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1026 of 1129 Old 08-14-2014, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 72
It's just a preview of what your Sheetrock will look like when you fire those bad boys up!
doublewing11 and TMcG like this.

The Moving Pictures Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1462881/th...ruction-thread

Houston GTG - Summer 2014
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-are...l#post26079610
post #1027 of 1129 Old 08-14-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Oh, that's a sad sight. . Hope it works out.

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #1028 of 1129 Old 08-14-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
So....I received my third IST UXL-18 driver today. Unfortunately UPS decided to use it for impact testing. Claim has been filed and Mark at IST has been great to work with to resolve the issue....

Yikes!!!!!!!

Mark sure changed his packing. The boxes mine were shipped in were all well packed with lots of padding to combat occasional "Scottish games UPS throw!"

GOOD TO HEAR ISSUE IS RESOLVED!!!!
post #1029 of 1129 Old 08-18-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Dang what bad luck!

That driver is garbage, only the motor is salvageable and its epoxied to that broke frame so not worth messing with trying to fix..... If it were a modular driver there could be options.

GL with the claim.
post #1030 of 1129 Old 08-18-2014, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 50
My second UXL18 showed up today. I would have been pissssssssssssssssed if I had waited that long and it showed up in that condition.

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
post #1031 of 1129 Old 08-18-2014, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, it was months of wait for the components to come in for the woofers and it's unfortunate that this happened. We're working through the claim stuff at the moment. Another bummer is that there are no more blank dust caps available and it could take some time to get new ones in inventory for a replacement to be made. The fourth woofer should be shipping by tomorrow and who knows when the replacement will be available for shipment.

And you're absolutely right, Nick....the driver has to be junked and can't be salvaged.
post #1032 of 1129 Old 08-18-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Yes, it was months of wait for the components to come in for the woofers and it's unfortunate that this happened. We're working through the claim stuff at the moment. Another bummer is that there are no more blank dust caps available and it could take some time to get new ones in inventory for a replacement to be made. The fourth woofer should be shipping by tomorrow and who knows when the replacement will be available for shipment.

And you're absolutely right, Nick....the driver has to be junked and can't be salvaged.
Is the dust cap damaged? Otherwise send that back.

You might be able to make a buttkicker out of it.

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #1033 of 1129 Old 08-18-2014, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cedia 2014

Flight booked? - check
Hotel booked? - check
Registration complete? - check
CEDIA expo app downloaded and installed? - check
iPhone memory card clear and ready to shoot hundreds of pictures? - check
Arrangements made with AVS Peeps @KNKKNK @dlbeck and @BrolicBeast ? - check, check and check!!!

After clearing a bit of uncertainty in my work travel schedule, I was very happy to book travel and confirm attendance at this year's CEDIA show, which should be much more interesting than most other years with Atmos, Auro 3D, DTS UHD (or MDA), new 4K products, new OLED displays, and a huge range of automation products for the connected home. It will be great to meet some fellow AVS Members.

I'm not sure if I am able to disclose this now or not, but all of us will be attending some very special invite-only events at the show. More on that later.

I'll be sure to take plenty of photos, videos and pictures and post updates when I can.

If anybody has any requests for a specific booth visit, please let me know and I will try to accommodate!

Last edited by TMcG; 08-19-2014 at 04:03 AM.
post #1034 of 1129 Old 08-18-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:

Flight booked? - check
Hotel booked? - check
Registration complete? - check
CEDIA expo app downloaded and installed? - check
iPhone memory card clear and ready to shoot hundreds of pictures? - check
Arrangements made with AVS Peeps @KNKKNK @dlbeck and @BrolicBeast ? - check, check and check!!!

After clearing a bit of uncertainty in my work travel schedule, I was very happy to book travel and confirm attendance at this year's CEDIA show, which should be much more interesting than most other years with Atmos, Auro 3D, DTS UHD (or MDA), new 4K products, new OLED displays, and a huge range of automation products for the connected home. It should be very interesting and it will be great to meet some fellow AVS Members.

I'm not sure if I am able to disclose this now or not, but all of us will be attending some very special invite-only events at the show, each of which should be very interesting.

I'll be sure to take plenty of photos, videos and pictures and post updates when I can.

If anybody has any requests for a specific booth visit, please let me know and I will try to accommodate!
This is bound to be the most significant CEDIA EXPO in years! Although I was leaning against it with my one battery, I may actually bring the video camera.
post #1035 of 1129 Old 08-18-2014, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 191
CEDIA can't come fast enough. Thanks again for coordinating all this TMCG!
post #1036 of 1129 Old 08-19-2014, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
CEDIA can't come fast enough. Thanks again for coordinating all this TMCG!
It will be like dying and going to heaven. Unfortunately CEDIA ends and we must return home. I look forward to hear the news and all the wonderful stuff that I can add to my wish list.

Creekside Stone Cinema
post #1037 of 1129 Old 10-04-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 80
[edit: double post, but I didn't double post. Weird. See below for my thoughtful and engaging comments]
post #1038 of 1129 Old 10-04-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Any new construction pics? I had to scroll back to Father's Day to get a pic of your room being used for storage!

Something? Anything?! I know you did some fantastic work in the rest of the house.

Throw the dog a bone already!

Tim
post #1039 of 1129 Old 10-05-2014, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 191
So, I was all excited to help TMcG with his theater today and he decided he would rather tear his front door off the front of his house so no progress on the theater but a little progress on the door
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmcg.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	296378  
post #1040 of 1129 Old 10-05-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Nice! Lol. I wish I could work on Sunday... But I have degenerate NFL disease, I get it every September and if usually lasts until Febuary.
post #1041 of 1129 Old 10-05-2014, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
So, I was all excited to help TMcG with his theater today and he decided he would rather tear his front door off the front of his house so no progress on the theater but a little progress on the door
TMcG, where are your priorities? I better not let my wife see this post before I [start and] finish my build. She would love to rip our front door out and that's not the type of distraction I need right now. And to think that we're going to be carpooling to Ashville in a month. I might have to rethink that decision.
post #1042 of 1129 Old 10-06-2014, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

So will he be installing a new door, or is he going for the "open floor plan"?

Tim
post #1043 of 1129 Old 10-06-2014, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Jones II View Post
TMcG, where are your priorities? I better not let my wife see this post before I [start and] finish my build. She would love to rip our front door out and that's not the type of distraction I need right now. And to think that we're going to be carpooling to Ashville in a month. I might have to rethink that decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post
So will he be installing a new door, or is he going for the "open floor plan"?

Tim
Somehow I didn't receive notification that there were new posts in my thread. Weird.

As much as I would like to say that redoing the front entryway is a change for the better, it wasn't. As it turns out, the heat of the sun over the years caused the PVC moldings above the door to develop a slight 'wave' to them. This caused the caulking to separate under the larger window above, right under the drip edge. The leak wasn't bad (as far as leaks go), but over time deteriorated some of the exterior sheathing under the molding and saturated the top and right side of the door frame and the adjacent jack studding. If you look to the right of the door in David's picture you will see the former right-hand side of the door frame. It's not broken, but the rest of it was turned to sawdust by some friendly neighborhood insects - all completely hidden until this past Saturday morning. Needless to say, but repairing the damage became an A1 top priority and I tore apart as much as needed to find the source of the issue.

Dave was a big help as an extra set of hands in reconstructing the door frame and replacing the structural studs. As of now, the entire door has been completely rebuilt as has the transom window frame above the door. I'm leaving all the moldings off so a bug guy can get in and spray in areas he would not otherwise have access. After the spraying, I'll have to tackle the re-installation of all the moldings, caulking and a couple new coats of paint as quickly as possible before the weather turns.

As for the basement, I finally had the chance to run all the low voltage wire for the basement and parts of the first floor accessible from the basement. The only wiring left was the theater speaker wire, but I'll have to tackle that after I redo the front door.

I'll have to take a photo of all the low voltage wiring....There's a ton of it and I haven't neatened all of the wires, with almost all still hanging. It's a real mess that will take about two days to get up to my OCD levels of wire management. That's the plan for this coming weekend IF I can finish the entire front entryway by then....
post #1044 of 1129 Old 10-06-2014, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Somehow I didn't receive notification that there were new posts in my thread. Weird.

As much as I would like to say that redoing the front entryway is a change for the better, it wasn't. As it turns out, the heat of the sun over the years caused the PVC moldings above the door to develop a slight 'wave' to them.
Surprisingly enough, in my travels I found out that some of the mfrs won't warranty their composite doors unless you provide x% sun and weather shading.

It's even worse with a solid wood door. They won't warranty it unless you basically protect it from the weather.

Tim
post #1045 of 1129 Old 10-06-2014, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The home has a Southern exposure and with virtually no shade. I've been coaxing the waviness into submission through a combination of adhesives and mechanical fasteners in the form of short deck screws to the sheathing and studding vs. the 2" finish nails used by the original contractor. Hopefully that will keep everything in line. I'm also caulking all the joints and buttering the edges with caulking prior to setting the moldings to get full coverage and make everything as bulletproof as possible. I don't want to go through this again....ever...

By the way, new doors with transom windows started around $2000 and went up from there. So far my total tab at Lowes had been just under $90 to make the repairs to the existing. Gotta save that projector money!
post #1046 of 1129 Old 10-06-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Here's a loaded question,

Is there any real benefit to having your wires OCD level neat and organized ? Or is it just mental ?
post #1047 of 1129 Old 10-06-2014, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

When the wires get to the main rack they are already separated by type - cable, network, phone, distributed audio speaker wires, POE, etc. and can therefore be routed much more efficiently to the rack, demarcation point, phone system, etc.

I also have one of these Panduit cable organizers which can make anyone appear OCD with very little effort.

The other advantage is tracing down any problems, but that doesn't really apply since the walls will be closed by the time I have the wires terminated. The same rationale for keeping your electrical wiring neat and clean applies as well, I think.

Last edited by TMcG; 10-06-2014 at 07:44 AM.
post #1048 of 1129 Old 10-06-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Here's a loaded question,

Is there any real benefit to having your wires OCD level neat and organized ? Or is it just mental ?

Depends on the level of OCD. Save some money on a shrink because you aren't stressing about messy wires behind the wall...Put that money towards the projector...that's definitely a real benefit.

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
post #1049 of 1129 Old 10-06-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't at all have the OCD thing. I've tried it and it always kicks me in the ass later on. I build a lot of PC and HTPC/servers and when I used to zip tie and shrink wrap and route neatly all the wires it looked great, but I ran into some extra complications suggesting my effort was wasted. First, routing neatly can often require 90 degree and sharp bends, which is almost automatically a bad thing. Second, routing neatly often puts stress on terminal ends because you are routing for asthetics, which doesn't always jive with ideal in terms of placement. Third, anytime I had an upgrade or service issue I found myself cutting about a billion zip ties, and shrink wraps, adding excessive effort.

Especially in a stationary situation I usually go for a happy medium between reasonably neat enough to understand what's going on, and reasonably flexible and upgradable for future without a lot of effort. The more you wire manage the more you'll struggle later if you change or service something.
post #1050 of 1129 Old 10-07-2014, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I don't at all have the OCD thing. I've tried it and it always kicks me in the ass later on. I build a lot of PC and HTPC/servers and when I used to zip tie and shrink wrap and route neatly all the wires it looked great, but I ran into some extra complications suggesting my effort was wasted. First, routing neatly can often require 90 degree and sharp bends, which is almost automatically a bad thing. Second, routing neatly often puts stress on terminal ends because you are routing for asthetics, which doesn't always jive with ideal in terms of placement. Third, anytime I had an upgrade or service issue I found myself cutting about a billion zip ties, and shrink wraps, adding excessive effort.

Especially in a stationary situation I usually go for a happy medium between reasonably neat enough to understand what's going on, and reasonably flexible and upgradable for future without a lot of effort. The more you wire manage the more you'll struggle later if you change or service something.
That's why you always preserve the bending radius!

Case and point....

Those are some 'relaxed' connectors!
cowger likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page