36Likes

post #1051 of 1066 Old 10-07-2014, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
The home has a Southern exposure and with virtually no shade. I've been coaxing the waviness into submission through a combination of adhesives and mechanical fasteners in the form of short deck screws to the sheathing and studding vs. the 2" finish nails used by the original contractor. Hopefully that will keep everything in line. I'm also caulking all the joints and buttering the edges with caulking prior to setting the moldings to get full coverage and make everything as bulletproof as possible. I don't want to go through this again....ever...

By the way, new doors with transom windows started around $2000 and went up from there. So far my total tab at Lowes had been just under $90 to make the repairs to the existing. Gotta save that projector money!
...if it's not too late...if you have any exposed wood trim on the outside, it is always a good idea to back prime the wood. This stabilizes the wood by making all sides react to humidity at the same rate. Essentially paint all surfaces (especially the ends). I've taken to also giving a coat of wood preservative on any exterior mill work. You can get some tasty stuff south of the border used by wood window manufacturers like Marvin Windows. The best I can get here is one sold by HD, which is Zinc Napthenate in a Kerosene solution. The smell does fade... It is clear and can actually take a stain, or paint. The preservative would be good on all the wood (other than any pressure treated framing lumber, of course) that is covered by flashing as well to keep your little friends away.

Winterfell theatre build - working title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1066 Old 12-04-2014, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Hey Tim, just dropping by to see if you've changed any equipment/room plans? Figured out what projector will do that screen justice? I'm really considering buying another Sony 600ES. But those LEDs we saw at CEDIA were mighty impressive, if not guaranteed for obsolescence by Q4 2015.
post #1053 of 1066 Old 12-04-2014, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Hey Tim, just dropping by to see if you've changed any equipment/room plans? Figured out what projector will do that screen justice? I'm really considering buying another Sony 600ES. But those LEDs we saw at CEDIA were mighty impressive, if not guaranteed for obsolescence by Q4 2015.
Hey Matt. Thanks for checking in. I have been working in the background on a few things and here are the high-level updates:
  • Bought a third Sherbourn PA7-350 so ALL of my amplification will be matched for all speakers and balancing subs, excluding LFE
  • I transitioned from a UH480 and ATH1 automated sled to a DC1 with ATH2 automated sled
  • I purchased two Stereo Integrity HS24 24" subwoofer drivers to augment my LFE beyond the four UXL-18s I have going into the room
  • I bought a few more Savant SSR-1000 remotes to complete the automation system control for all the rooms I wanted the handheld remote (total of 7 rooms, including the theater)
  • I've dumped the idea of using Quest panels for the room and will be pursuing a 4" DIY panel similar to RPG BAD Panels to get the lower octaves of diffusion and absorption
  • The room rendering is complete and only lighting has to be added over the next couples of weeks, along with some subtle tweaks. Looking forward to everyone's feedback on the design aesthetic, for sure!!
  • After talking with a number of preamp / processor manufacturers, it is apparent that it will be best to wait on any SSP purchase for at least 6-7 months. Only then will full-spec HDMI 2.0 boards with HDCP 2.2 be available and integrated into the new hardware. If I bought now, there would be upgrade cost(s) later and I want to avoid that.
  • I keep coming back to the same projector as you - the Sony 600ES - because of the native 4K, sufficient brightness and HDCP 2.2 compliance on HDMI 2. If that Sim2 was 4K, I'd snap it up immediately. I just can't put that kind of cash into anything 1080p at this point
  • I've nixed the idea of going with an HTPC. I will use my Synology NAS as the DLNA server for any streaming content, so no additional hardware costs and no further installation considerations.
  • I will be waiting for Oppo to release their 4K Blu ray player sometime late next year and will not be purchasing any interim machine. If I need Bluray playback in a pinch, I'll use my PS4.

That's it for now. Final rough inspection for the rest of the basement is scheduled for Monday. With any luck, drywall will start by the end of next week.
post #1054 of 1066 Old 12-04-2014, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 46
It lives! With gusto!!! Love it...
post #1055 of 1066 Old 12-05-2014, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
...I filled up a bin with wood off-cuts from my theater/workshop, after finishing the stair balustrades in the kitchen and two exterior decks. Oh, I've also remilled the Abaco that I took up from the two decks (after one year and replaced with Ipe) for use in building the wine racking, which I will hopefully start installing today (this month). But I don't think I made any advancements in HT layout...nope nothing...I'm so pathetic.

Winterfell theatre build - working title
post #1056 of 1066 Old 12-05-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowger View Post
Just when you thought it was dead...
post #1057 of 1066 Old 12-05-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 39
My deal-killer with the 600ES is the 120ms of lag, making it unusable for gaming.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

Seymour-Screen Excellence
515-450-5694
post #1058 of 1066 Old 12-05-2014, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Tim - for what it's worth Jeff Meier isn't a fan of the 600ES. Can't exactly remember all the reasons but had to do primarily with the lens quality.
post #1059 of 1066 Old 12-05-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Sounds like things are progressing...hope your inspection goes well!
Mfusick likes this.

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
post #1060 of 1066 Old 12-05-2014, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Hey, Tim.

Nice meeting you last night.

Tim comes to my place, brings Pizza, Skyfall as a gift, and the fantastic Dolby Atmos Test disc for trial in my theater.

Tim's meet is one I'm traveling to after getting the skinny on his plans...when it happens! Should be a reference build in all respects.

Fun time demoing last night and shooting pool.

Thanks!
Mfusick and TMcG like this.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #1061 of 1066 Old 12-07-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
Tim - for what it's worth Jeff Meier isn't a fan of the 600ES. Can't exactly remember all the reasons but had to do primarily with the lens quality.
I'd be interested what he prefers. To me it is the best value out of all the high end projectors I've seen. Let's see...main pros: tons of light output (albeit it on noisy high lamp mode), very decent black levels, superb color performance (accurate saturation and luminance tracking), motorized zoom and focus so you don't have to use an A-Lens. Value seems an odd word to use for a $15k projector but the image is fantastic. I think you'd have to spend $25k plus to get anything better. I don't see any better options on the market at the 600ES price point and there abouts for most AVSers.

Acoustic Frontiers: design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #1062 of 1066 Old 12-07-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Actually Tim, my My SIM2 Lumis/HOST that we watched was calibrated by Jeff Meier just a few months ago.

The picture as you saw was rich and dynamic.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #1063 of 1066 Old 12-09-2014, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Yeah where did all the money go?

Quote:
  • Bought a third Sherbourn PA7-350 so ALL of my amplification will be matched for all speakers and balancing subs, excluding LFE
  • I transitioned from a UH480 and ATH1 automated sled to a DC1 with ATH2 automated sled
  • I purchased two Stereo Integrity HS24 24" subwoofer drivers to augment my LFE beyond the four UXL-18s I have going into the room
  • I bought a few more Savant SSR-1000 remotes to complete the automation system control for all the rooms I wanted the handheld remote (total of 7 rooms, including the theater)
  • I've dumped the idea of using Quest panels for the room and will be pursuing a 4" DIY panel similar to RPG BAD Panels to get the lower octaves of diffusion and absorption
  • The room rendering is complete and only lighting has to be added over the next couples of weeks, along with some subtle tweaks. Looking forward to everyone's feedback on the design aesthetic, for sure!!
  • After talking with a number of preamp / processor manufacturers, it is apparent that it will be best to wait on any SSP purchase for at least 6-7 months. Only then will full-spec HDMI 2.0 boards with HDCP 2.2 be available and integrated into the new hardware. If I bought now, there would be upgrade cost(s) later and I want to avoid that.
  • I keep coming back to the same projector as you - the Sony 600ES - because of the native 4K, sufficient brightness and HDCP 2.2 compliance on HDMI 2. If that Sim2 was 4K, I'd snap it up immediately. I just can't put that kind of cash into anything 1080p at this point
  • I've nixed the idea of going with an HTPC. I will use my Synology NAS as the DLNA server for any streaming content, so no additional hardware costs and no further installation considerations.
  • I will be waiting for Oppo to release their 4K Blu ray player sometime late next year and will not be purchasing any interim machine. If I need Bluray playback in a pinch, I'll use my PS4.

That's it for now. Final rough inspection for the rest of the basement is scheduled for Monday. With any luck, drywall will start by the end of next week.
The only thing you might keep in mind is that a HTPC is much more than just storage and streaming. It is very handy for Room measurements, DSP configuration, Web content streaming, etc, etc.

Also I dont think MKV rips will stream DLNA. Does the Oppo support MKV? Will the NAS/Oppo work in this way? IDK, and you might not be interested in MKVs, so thats up to you.

Honestly I cannot imagine my house without a HTPC now that I have one, it does so much. I built a modest one and I can serve several HD streams all over the house simultaneously while the main system in the LR is being used for whatever, streaming(net) watching movie etc.

For standalone disc playback, I still like something like the Oppo. The HTPC has a rabbit hole of configuration and setup steps. The Oppo, you pull out the box, plug it in and it works.
post #1064 of 1066 Old Yesterday, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 1044

You are looking better these days. I like the new hair.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1065 of 1066 Old Today, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowger View Post
Thanks! I see the light at the end of the tunnel for all other projects being wrapped up with only the theater remaining. I have some West Coast travel coming up in January and February, so perhaps we can finally get together for a little project inspiration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just jim View Post
...I filled up a bin with wood off-cuts from my theater/workshop, after finishing the stair balustrades in the kitchen and two exterior decks. Oh, I've also remilled the Abaco that I took up from the two decks (after one year and replaced with Ipe) for use in building the wine racking, which I will hopefully start installing today (this month). But I don't think I made any advancements in HT layout...nope nothing...I'm so pathetic.
Don't worry, Jim, you'll get there eventually. After all, I know you were waiting for the dust to clear on 3D audio codecs before moving forward with your plans, right? Take some comfort in the fact that my theater has been in studs for just over two years with only electrical and low voltage added to this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscmore View Post
My deal-killer with the 600ES is the 120ms of lag, making it unusable for gaming.

Cheers,
Chris
I've owned a PS4 since the 2nd week they launched and have yet to buy one game. I'm not sure which games are unusable with the projector latency, but I would be most inclined to purchase a driving/racing game when the PS4 eventually relocates to the theater, so I wouldn't expect any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
It's probably the acrylic optics vs. the glass optics of the the 1100ES, but I have few alternatives with adequate brightness in a native 4K projector that doesn't bust the budget. If there was a 4k version of the Epson 6030, I'd go that route. The price of the Epson LS10000 is such that I am in the 600ES pricing territory in either used or online e-tailers. That was my thought, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBenji View Post
Sounds like things are progressing...hope your inspection goes well!
The word of the day was 'DISAPPROVED'. The inspector had previously pointed out a few things I needed to fix (add receptacles since a few small wing walls "broke the plane of the wall", requiring more outlets as per the NEC), which I did, but now there were problems with my fireblocking, almost all of which was focused around the pool table area where I added the perimeter soffit and coffered ceiling. This then 'joined' the ceiling structure to the wall structure which is a potential route for fire. So I'll be adding that this weekend and having another inspection on Monday. My drywaller cancelled anyhow, so no worries there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Hey, Tim.

Nice meeting you last night.

Tim comes to my place, brings Pizza, Skyfall as a gift, and the fantastic Dolby Atmos Test disc for trial in my theater.

Tim's meet is one I'm traveling to after getting the skinny on his plans...when it happens! Should be a reference build in all respects.

Fun time demoing last night and shooting pool.

Thanks!
Jeff - I am so glad that our schedules allowed to get together. It was well worth the trip and thank you again for your hospitality.

It goes without saying that you have an incredible system that is equally adept at being open and airy while bringing BRUTAL LFE with all of those Seaton Submersives!!! The Datasat RS20i, the Sim2 Lumis, the Quested speakers and amps....the system was truly outstanding. And I had just as much fun trying - trying - to hold my own against you in pool. I clearly need to practice and get the rust out of my game after a thorough pounding into the felt!

I look forward to getting together again and having you down for the unveiling of the Stonewater Cinema, whenever that is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post
I'd be interested what he prefers. To me it is the best value out of all the high end projectors I've seen. Let's see...main pros: tons of light output (albeit it on noisy high lamp mode), very decent black levels, superb color performance (accurate saturation and luminance tracking), motorized zoom and focus so you don't have to use an A-Lens. Value seems an odd word to use for a $15k projector but the image is fantastic. I think you'd have to spend $25k plus to get anything better. I don't see any better options on the market at the 600ES price point and there abouts for most AVSers.
These were my thoughts exactly. My hope is Sony will release an update to the 600ES by the time I need my projector next year and have taken market feedback regarding latency, the lens system and additional brightness to heart. Or perhaps Epson, JVC or others will jump into the game at the same or lower pricepoint for affordable native 4K projection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post
Yeah where did all the money go?

The only thing you might keep in mind is that a HTPC is much more than just storage and streaming. It is very handy for Room measurements, DSP configuration, Web content streaming, etc, etc.

Also I dont think MKV rips will stream DLNA. Does the Oppo support MKV? Will the NAS/Oppo work in this way? IDK, and you might not be interested in MKVs, so thats up to you.

Honestly I cannot imagine my house without a HTPC now that I have one, it does so much. I built a modest one and I can serve several HD streams all over the house simultaneously while the main system in the LR is being used for whatever, streaming(net) watching movie etc.

For standalone disc playback, I still like something like the Oppo. The HTPC has a rabbit hole of configuration and setup steps. The Oppo, you pull out the box, plug it in and it works.
Hey Nick. Thanks for checking in and sorry to have missed you at the GTG last month. I was unfortunately marooned on the West Coast over the weekend for work. We'll have that beer together eventually.

My Synology NAS has DLNA streaming capabilities, so there's no worry from that perspective, it just lacks the fancier GUI of JRiver, XBMC and other programs. I will probably have some sort of HTPC, but I can foresee very limited use in my system as I don't plan to rip content. I sold off my entire DVD collection and never made the investment in many Blurays since I didn't have my system up and running. Now that 4K Bluray is on the horizon, I am definitely suspending any media purchases until 4K Bluray is launched. Of course this would be a revolution in hardware for an HTPC to function in the same way it does today for standard HD Bluray content, so it's something I'm going to hold off on for a good, long while. I just don't have any content to rip to an HTPC and the content I would buy is going to be 4K spinning disc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
You are looking better these days. I like the new hair.
Thanks man! Still need to whiten my teeth, though!

Last edited by TMcG; Today at 05:28 AM.
post #1066 of 1066 Old Today, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Jeff - I am so glad that our schedules allowed to get together. It was well worth the trip and thank you again for your hospitality.

It goes without saying that you have an incredible system that is equally adept at being open and airy while bringing BRUTAL LFE with all of those Seaton Submersives!!! The Datasat RS20i, the Sim2 Lumis, the Quested speakers and amps....the system was truly outstanding. And I had just as much fun trying - trying - to hold my own against you in pool. I clearly need to practice and get the rust out of my game after a thorough pounding into the felt!

I look forward to getting together again and having you down for the unveiling of the Stonewater Cinema, whenever that is!
Thanks for the complements. We'll do it again at your place. Your place will likely be the ultimate when it is completed.

Looking forward to it (and more pool).

Jeff

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page