33Likes

post #1051 of 1051 Old 10-07-2014, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
The home has a Southern exposure and with virtually no shade. I've been coaxing the waviness into submission through a combination of adhesives and mechanical fasteners in the form of short deck screws to the sheathing and studding vs. the 2" finish nails used by the original contractor. Hopefully that will keep everything in line. I'm also caulking all the joints and buttering the edges with caulking prior to setting the moldings to get full coverage and make everything as bulletproof as possible. I don't want to go through this again....ever...

By the way, new doors with transom windows started around $2000 and went up from there. So far my total tab at Lowes had been just under $90 to make the repairs to the existing. Gotta save that projector money!
...if it's not too late...if you have any exposed wood trim on the outside, it is always a good idea to back prime the wood. This stabilizes the wood by making all sides react to humidity at the same rate. Essentially paint all surfaces (especially the ends). I've taken to also giving a coat of wood preservative on any exterior mill work. You can get some tasty stuff south of the border used by wood window manufacturers like Marvin Windows. The best I can get here is one sold by HD, which is Zinc Napthenate in a Kerosene solution. The smell does fade... It is clear and can actually take a stain, or paint. The preservative would be good on all the wood (other than any pressure treated framing lumber, of course) that is covered by flashing as well to keep your little friends away.

Winterfell theatre build - working title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page