Forum Jump: 
 39Likes

post #1081 of 1099 Old 12-21-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 1095
New Avatar both FB and here I see. You went see new Hobbit movie? How was it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1099 Old 12-21-2014, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Not yet. Trying to drum up a 'man date' since the wife has no interest in seeing the movie in the theater.
post #1083 of 1099 Old 12-21-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Is it in Atmos ? If not go imax. I'd man date you for that if you were closer (no homo). My wife = same.
post #1084 of 1099 Old 12-21-2014, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 180
post #1085 of 1099 Old 12-21-2014, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
The best I can do is have a good subpanel circuit schedule, plug all the amps into the isolation transformer and fire it up.

It is what it is at that point and if I get a hum on any of the three amps I will be reaching out to Emotiva to see what can be done.

Well spoken!

You just have to deal with the cards you're dealt and hope all 3 are buzz-free! After all the research I did over the last several months I can leave you with this.....the buzz-plagued amps are few in numbers. I too purchased mine and left it in the box for a year while I forged ahead building my HT. I certainly had may kinks to work out and this Sherbourn buzz is simply one more. I think that makes 11.

## DIY Rustic ConcreteBunker HT Build w/8 x 18" IB subs & 25KW ##

Denon AVR-4520 11.2 | Sony VPL-HW55ES | Elite Screens 11' screen | Sanway FP-14000 | Sherbourn PA 7-350 | Buttkicker BKA-1000(3x) | Behringer iNuke NU1000DSP | GR Research LS-9 + LS-C | 8x IB318's | Buttkicker Original(2x), LFE(2x), MiniLFE(8x) | MinDSP 2x4 | 21'W x 27'L x 10'H | MiniSplit
Supercharged 10 second II
post #1086 of 1099 Old 12-21-2014, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Actually Tim, my My SIM2 Lumis/HOST that we watched was calibrated by Jeff Meier just a few months ago.
How many lumens are you getting after calibration?

Light output is my main reservation on the vw600. Sony was rumored to be working on a high brightness consumer projector, but looks like that fell through.

post #1087 of 1099 Old 12-21-2014, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms8 View Post
You just have to deal with the cards you're dealt and hope all 3 are buzz-free!
Yeah, the first time in my life you'll hear me say that I hope I don't get a hummer....

Second time you'd hear me say it would be any 'man date' with Mike or David....
post #1088 of 1099 Old 12-21-2014, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Is it in Atmos ? If not go imax. I'd man date you for that if you were closer (no homo). My wife = same.
Wait a second....your wife would date me if we were closer??

The closest ATMOS theater to me is in Atlanta, but it is available in IMAX and high frame rate IMAX 3D. It would be interesting to see the HFR 3D since it's a format I've never seen for any movie.

Last edited by TMcG; 12-21-2014 at 06:16 PM. Reason: EDIT - Corrected to Atmos
post #1089 of 1099 Old 12-21-2014, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Not yet. Trying to drum up a 'man date' since the wife has no interest in seeing the movie in the theater.
We're going next weekend to Raleigh IMAX, if you want to come. My wife and I have "power passes" that give us + one guest each access to seating before everyone else. We always get prime seats even on sold out shows. Bit of drive for you, but it would be great to have you stop by to see the house & my unfinished room in person. Keith said he thinks I'll be ok with the extra flex in the walls, so I'm going ahead with building. I'm going to dump the Quest panels as well, and probably have Nyal make some changes to my EG plans. But the actual construction is going to be my biggest hurdle.

post #1090 of 1099 Old 12-21-2014, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

The closest IMAX to me is in Atlanta.
I thought there was one down town, excuse me, Uptown CLT. Is that no longer the case? It used to be in discovery place.

Creekside Stone Cinema
post #1091 of 1099 Old 12-21-2014, 06:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah HFR IMAX 3D is solid choice!
post #1092 of 1099 Old 12-21-2014, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post
We're going next weekend to Raleigh IMAX, if you want to come. My wife and I have "power passes" that give us + one guest each access to seating before everyone else. We always get prime seats even on sold out shows. Bit of drive for you, but it would be great to have you stop by to see the house & my unfinished room in person. Keith said he thinks I'll be ok with the extra flex in the walls, so I'm going ahead with building. I'm going to dump the Quest panels as well, and probably have Nyal make some changes to my EG plans. But the actual construction is going to be my biggest hurdle.
That sounds great but I'll have to take a raincheck as we are hosting a ton of out-of-town family here for the Christmas holiday. Let's try to find a date in the calendar to get together. It would be great to meet you in-person and check out the space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Changer View Post
I thought there was one down town, excuse me, Uptown CLT. Is that no longer the case? It used to be in discovery place.
The hazards of posting while catching up with the day's NFL scores on Sportcenter. The closest ATMOS theater is in Atlanta. The IMAX is only 15 minutes away.
post #1093 of 1099 Old 12-21-2014, 06:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I want to go check out an Atmos movie with @lemonslush and the wives. Is there a particularly good movie, or an average movie with reasonably awesome sound mix coming up soon ? How can you tell which movies are being released in Atmos ?

I went to the Atmos theater and saw a movie not actually released in Atmos which was disappointing.
post #1094 of 1099 Old 12-21-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 227
The RPX at Atlantic Station here in town is quite nice, IMO.

I'll meet any of you there. http://www.dolby.com/us/en/experienc...os/movies.html
post #1095 of 1099 Old Yesterday, 06:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Got it~! Best demo disc I've ever heard... and I don't even have Atmos! The Auromatic upmixing does this disc justice!

TMcG likes this.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #1096 of 1099 Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I went to the Hobbit 3 with the wife and son while in MD to a regular theater no IMAX or ATMOS . I really miss the ATMOS Theater we went to in Hawaii when we lived there it was great. I am chasing that sound in my build now(don't tell the wife). I went to an IMAX in Augusta and it was such a let down I will not waste my money upgrading to IMAX. (BIG PICTURE little sound) Any way aside from the deviation from the book similar to part 1 and 2 it had a lot of back story that the LOTR Appendices had in it I will not spoil it for anyone but it was a really great conclusion to the first 2 parts. How can you make 3 movies out of one book just add a bunch of stuff from the LOTR Appendices and make up some more like the barrel ride with Legolas.

Last edited by cw5billwade; Yesterday at 11:32 AM.
post #1097 of 1099 Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Its sad that people who have ATMOS that desperately want this disc to show off to their friends and guest cant get it... >_<

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee Media Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321 + ChromeCast
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL, FR), CS2 Series II (Center), Monitor40 Series II (RL, RR),
Onkyo THX Bookshelf Speakers (Ceiling L,R) + Dual JL Audio 12" Subs + ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 5.2.2
post #1098 of 1099 Old Today, 12:00 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rms8 View Post
I ran a cord from two different outlets. Each outlet was fed by a different breaker on opposite phases. I'm pretty thorough when it comes to troubleshooting electronics. I'll just add that I've been troubleshooting communications equipment (microwave, satcom, multiplexers, routers, switches...) since 1988.

The 7-350 is not the only 240 amp in my system. This is why I suggested the power supply in the 7-350 may be too sensitive.

That "bolt" was the bonding strap/bolt which is REQUIRED in a MAIN PANEL, but is NOT supposed to be in ANY SUBPANEL. The neutral and ground in a SUBPANEL are wired very differently vs. a main panel. In a MAIN panel, the neutral and ground busses are BONDED. In a subpanel they are electrically separated. The neutral buss is insulated from the panel by plastic standoffs in a subpanel and NOT connected in any way to the ground buss.
I disassembled the whole subpanel last month while trying to troubleshoot this issue. Removed the busses for the mains, neutral and ground. All has been covered in the panel.

The buzz is not a "huge" problem while a movie or music is playing since it is a constant level (does not increase with content). Unfortunately when any movie or music has a quiet passage, you can hear the buzz from the MLP. Disappointing to say the least from such a praised/hyped up amplifier. When you factor in the clearance price I got it for (950 shipped to my door), it just makes one want to cry since replacing it with something as powerful will cost incredibly MORE!!!!!
Sorry, I didn't know your background. Just trying to help, but it seems you had already covered my suggestions and then some. I have found in my 32 years in the construction business as a general contractor it is usually the simple things that get over looked. It would appear that it is not the case this time. Good luck!

Winterfell theatre build - working title
post #1099 of 1099 Old Today, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
Sign me up for a movie date!
Quote:

Lots of love going around..........bromance?

Merry Christmas to all.........especially Popalock Jr!

Four UXL, three P-10's, two SI-24's and one home with crumbling foundation!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page