The Stonewater Cinema Build Thread - Page 41 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 94Likes
post #1201 of 1230 Unread 02-24-2015, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 1230 Unread 02-24-2015, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 1289
Did you pick up your 24" woofs from Jake yet? I see he just started a dedicated build thread here, so you might want to hurry before he keeps them for himself.

Speaking of which, I need to get down there this week and pick up my (2) LMS Ultra's from him

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1203 of 1230 Unread 02-24-2015, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Yes, that's their 18" driver sitting right next to the 24"!

Dude, that is sick!!

Creekside Stone Cinema
post #1204 of 1230 Unread 02-24-2015, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:

EDIT - I came to your construction thread late in the game so I went through the first 1000 posts or so of your thread last night. You certainly didn't have many pictures of the build-out, probably because you were moving so insanely quick with the construction. But let me make sure I have this straight....you used one layer of OSB for the entire room and then 3 layers of drywall on top of that....THEN you added a fifth layer to the one wall that your theater shares with the garage. Do I have that correct?
Yeah, my build thread sucks................bones of room was done in first two pages!

My problem was working two jobs and spending every last moment trying to construct room! From January to June I was working 24/7 from 5AM until 11PM to get room complete. Didn't have time to document every last detail which would have been helpful to many especially how I engineered the foundation!

FYI, I have two layers inside room and two layers outside of room except external walls which are 5/8" plywood and then Hardy Board which is essential the same. Half bath, kitchen wall, pantry, dining room, and back of theater wall which is adjacent to garage has two layers of 5/8'' rock and Green Glue.....all on outside of theater room......essentially, four layers.
post #1205 of 1230 Unread 02-24-2015, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
That's exactly what I am saying....kind-of. I will be cutting it into the piece sizes I need before reinstallation. I was going to use a cheap 3/4" Forstner bit to drill the drywall wherever the pinpoint metal sensor tells me to drill. Even if that doesn't work and I had to carve out 1.5" channels in the drywall at the stud locations to remove the screws from the OSB layer, I can easily re-square the edges after removal and use it as sheet material. It may not be perfect, but it would be close, and it is on the less important side of the wall assembly for soundproofing. I'd just hate to throw it away. My fallback plan is to use it to build all of the backer boxes I'll need.
The main problem with reusing the existing pieces as sheet material is that you won't have overlapping seams. Presumably your existing OSB and drywall layers don't have any seams that line up.

Here's one option for re-gaining those overlapped edges, at the expense of losing a few inches per sheet.

Basically, extract the screws one way or another and then cut the double sheets off of the wall into 4'-3" increments. Maybe do 8'-6" to batch them up a bit better. Say you start with this:

Split that into two 4'-3" chunks. Then, set a circular saw to 5/8" and cut away 1-1/2" of the top drywall on one side and 1-1/2" of the OSB on the other side. The Green Glue acts like glue, but you'll still be able to scrape the cut-offs off using a stiff putty knife. The end result would look like so:

At this point, you can join the pieces above a stud and overlap the edges (maybe applying some fresh Green Glue) to re-seal the wall.

Just a thought
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Split.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	566121   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chunked.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	566129  
post #1206 of 1230 Unread 02-24-2015, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Holy Crap! Saying that it huge is an understatement.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #1207 of 1230 Unread 02-25-2015, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by granroth View Post
The main problem with reusing the existing pieces as sheet material is that you won't have overlapping seams. Presumably your existing OSB and drywall layers don't have any seams that line up.
Assuming I can reuse the pieces, they will be installed on the back side of the theater wall where it isn't critical to have things like overlapping seams. I'd square the edges and put a bead of acoustic caulking on the edges before installing. From there it is just a simple mud and tape job to finish. The theater will already have 3 tightly sealed layers with overlapping seams which will be attached to a fully decoupled wall. The only thing left in the soundproofing 'bag of tricks' is adding more mass, which is what these reused pieces would be doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Regards,

RTROSE
I think you should pick up a couple for yourself, RT! MRS. RTROSE already told me she approves and asked me to tell you that it's 'OK'.
RTROSE likes this.
post #1208 of 1230 Unread 02-25-2015, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
From January to June I was working 24/7 from 5AM until 11PM to get room complete.
24/7 = 5am : 11pm. Hmmm, if that's an example of the USC Math system, I may have to reevaluate my opinion of their scholastic programs.
Mfusick, LeBon and J_P_A like this.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #1209 of 1230 Unread 02-25-2015, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

While you are in the process of scraping and back tracking, you should consider selling those 24" subs and getting something bigger just to keep with the them you have going here.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1210 of 1230 Unread 02-25-2015, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 451
in line with what Mike said above, do I sense a rotary sub in your future? Heh heh.
post #1211 of 1230 Unread 02-25-2015, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
in line with what Mike said above, do I sense a rotary sub in your future? Heh heh.
No rotary sub, but I just had a foundation contractor out to the house to discuss jacking out the whole theater slab, digging down another 18-24" and underpinning the foundation walls. We'll see where the bids come in before moving forward. And if you think I'm serious about this, I am not.
Mfusick likes this.
post #1212 of 1230 Unread 02-25-2015, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
No rotary sub, but I just had a foundation contractor out to the house to discuss jacking out the whole theater slab, digging down another 18-24" and underpinning the foundation walls. We'll see where the bids come in before moving forward. And if you think I'm serious about this, I am not.
Wow! I tried getting some contractors over to give me a quote to do just that. only one person called me back, and he was a no-show.
post #1213 of 1230 Unread 02-25-2015, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
You're right....makes my 18" look tiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Changer View Post
Dude, that is sick!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post
Here is the back where you can see the big difference in the motor, spider and everything else. It's on a completely different scale.

Do I hear Savoy 2.0 upgrade, Dave?

Last edited by TMcG; 02-25-2015 at 10:26 AM.
post #1214 of 1230 Unread 02-25-2015, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Dude that is serious pain. Do it.

Careful .... there is a prevailing sickness I sense .....

Story time:

When I was a kid my mom wanted a bigger closet in her bedroom so my dad decided he would try to try to add on a little and accommodate her. Original budget was like $2500 (back in like 1987). But then my dad realized it made just as much sense to add on to the master bedroom and also make a master bath as part of the process. Still not too crazy yet.

Then my dad realized that his 1000 sq foot cape style home did not have a proper basement, it only had that small area at the bottom of the stairs, like half the house. In the basement there was cinderblock wall with some cubby holes on top like basement windows, and on the other side of that wall was dirt. There was dirty in our basment, the house was made in 1945 and they dug it out by hand with shovel so it was just to much to dig deep or dig it out all. If my dad wanted to add on, he would need to and wanted to make a proper basement.

So then he realized if he was going to lift the house up on metal I beams and dig out under the house, pour a proper foundation and set the house back down upon it- he might as well pour bigger and do a larger expansion. So he decided to enlarge the living room (it was like 12 foot by 14 foot) to a 30 foot by 18 foot with cathdral peak ceiling in the new section and loft overlooking it from above in the old section.

Turn out the his adding a first floor bedroom and bathroom was against code here, you need to add on to the second floor too if you do that. So I got a bigger bedroom (I think it ended up being like 20 feet long).

Might as add a back and front porch right? Why not. And a fireplace. Expand kitchen? Sure... add it to the list.

So my dad actually lifted the house off the ground and foundation while we LIVED IN IT. The house was up in the air, suspended on metal I beams. He dug out the basement, including the addition area with one of those small bobcats. There is a picture in the sage of old Vic by Moggie that always makes me laugh because it sort of remind me of the prevailing sickness:

So to speed up a long story the adding a closet turned into a 20 year long adventure in remodeling where the rather crappy ~1000sq foot house turned into a much nicer 3800sq foot house. My dad went with a deeper basement, and dug down in the old part even. There is three additional steps down from the old part to the new part, but even with drop ceiling there is more than 8foot of height down there. Well worth it. He's now got (5) full baths and (2) half baths, including an outdoor bathroom we ran a sewer 80 feet for. Added another 2 car garage, then a second 3 car garage and still the cars don't fit in them because they are full of stuff. He's adding a 80 foot x 60 foot metal building this spring to store the whatever so the 3 car in the back can become a wood shop, and he can actually keep my moms car in the house garage.

The saddest part of it all- my dad is now 68 and he's getting tired. His MA home is on 5 acres, half of which he's developed into a manor with exquisite landscaping, in ground pool, party area, large patio, outdoor kitchen and a lawn that golf courses get jealous off. He's got this huge house that is way too much for him and my mother. They never go upstair or downstairs, the dining room gets used on Thanksgiving and Christmas. A couple of his toilets get flushed once a year. And since he now hates the cold, he spends half his time in FL. He's getting to the point where he can't maintain it anymore, let alone improve it. Half his life is spent mowing lawn, fixing stuff, keeping up with maintenance. Moral of the story is it's taken over and turned from something he "wanted" to something he dreads and is slave to it. He was slave to it to pay for it, and now he is slave to it to maintain. He doesn't even use it as much as he thought he would.

So my advice- keep moving forward. When you start looking at digging deeper in your basement, tearing stuff out- and your theater build thread is 2.5 years old and you don't even have sheet rock up ! That is what happened to my dad.. he kept "wanting" and saying "what if" and "I could do this"... added like 15 years to his project. I grew up with plastic sheeting for walls in some rooms, and stuff half done for years.

For the scope of what you are talking about- you might as well just pour a new wing on your home later on, and do a version 2.0 in that.

I don't care how much you spend, how meticulous you are in planning and execution- time is a bitch. It's going to fly by on you and you will look back a few years after completion and wish you did something different, or want to do something different next time. What you think you know you don't, and each person is different. Half wish they went bigger, other half wish they went smaller. Half wish they made it more entertainment friendly, the other half wish they did not because half the time it's just two people. Half wish they did a proper lobby area, other half wish they save the space.

The 1250th post is not the one to announce you are digging out your basement deeper!

Trust me I am a sick in the head dude, I get it. I'm a glutton for punishment too. But the only way I can see it making sense at this point is if you enjoy the journey as much as the destination. I get that. I do DIY speaker projects not because I want to save money, but because I am sick in the head and enjoy the "doing" of it. Unless you actually enjoy the "doing" of building a theater you should keep moving forward.

Everyday you text me and say you been up at 4am to catch a flight, or worked till 11pm at night I think to myself "The Stonewater Cinema is never going to be completed" I'd look at it practical if I was you. How much can you endure?

You might want to fake an illness or something, take a medical leave under the family medical leave act and just do this thing. It's your only hope!

I want to come to opening day before I die.
Mr.Tim, Djoel and granroth like this.

-

post #1215 of 1230 Unread 02-25-2015, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Wow! I tried getting some contractors over to give me a quote to do just that. only one person called me back, and he was a no-show.
It's tricky thing. You can only reasonably go down so deep, because you don't want to dig out too much and remove the support for the footings or what is existing. I played around with this on my remodel project I am starting, and reasonbly you really only can make the floor level as low as the begining bottom of the footing- otherwise you'll remove the dirt under it and weaken the structural integrity.

-

post #1216 of 1230 Unread 02-25-2015, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I didn't have a foundation guy out to the house and I will not be jacking out the slab, underpinning or anything having to do with the concrete. I was simply piling on to the humor of taking my theater 'unprogress' to the maximum level. The humor was subtle, but perhaps too subtle.

I wanted a few jaws to drop at the insanity of such a move only to be resolved a couple of sentences later that I was not serious.
post #1217 of 1230 Unread 02-25-2015, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You disappoint me. I expected you to have a minicat digger and a concrete saw reservation rental already by now.

-

post #1218 of 1230 Unread 02-25-2015, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I didn't have a foundation guy out to the house and I will not be jacking out the slab, underpinning or anything having to do with the concrete. I was simply piling on to the humor of taking my theater 'unprogress' to the maximum level. The humor was subtle, but perhaps too subtle.

I wanted a few jaws to drop at the insanity of such a move only to be resolved a couple of sentences later that I was not serious.
Heh... the reason it was taken seriously by so many people is that it's not really that crazy when you're talking to a room full of crazy people! Brolic actually tried to get that done. Yep, I also looked into jacking up the slab and digging down in my own build. We're all certifiable
post #1219 of 1230 Unread 02-25-2015, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You talking about just digging a pit for seats? Or lowering the entire room? Big difference there.

-

post #1220 of 1230 Unread 02-25-2015, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
You talking about just digging a pit for seats? Or lowering the entire room? Big difference there.
post #1221 of 1230 Unread 02-25-2015, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
24/7 = 5am : 11pm. Hmmm, if that's an example of the USC Math system, I may have to reevaluate my opinion of their scholastic programs.
Yeah........an oxymoron............

A tad bit of exaggeration................
post #1222 of 1230 Unread 02-26-2015, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:

Well, it has a life of it's own now........ Doesn't matter if you were serious or not

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #1223 of 1230 Unread 02-27-2015, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I expected him to have big enough balls to actually consider it for real (and do it).

Now I see it's just fantasy.

-

post #1224 of 1230 Unread 02-27-2015, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I expected him to have big enough balls to actually consider it for real (and do it).

Now I see it's just fantasy.

You really need to stop describing using words.............................here, I'll help you:

Mfusick States:

"I expect him to have

_

to actually consider it for real (do it).

Now I see it's just fantasy."

Joshhare and BllDo like this.
post #1225 of 1230 Unread Yesterday, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK - theater room emptied out, all framing removed, all spray foam scraped from the concrete walls, and floor being removed....

Front wall:

Rear wall:

Left wall:

Rear wall:

Right wall:

Actually, these are photos I stumbled across this morning in an unlabeled folder on my computer that show the room in *almost* its original state from a few years ago as I was laying the 1" closed cell foam on the floor and 3/4" T&G on top to create a thermal break and a much nicer floor under foot. Thought I'd share since no original photos of the space were ever posted.
granroth likes this.

Last edited by TMcG; Yesterday at 09:46 AM.
post #1226 of 1230 Unread Yesterday, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 219
post #1227 of 1230 Unread Yesterday, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Actually, these are photos I stumbled across this morning in an unlabeled folder on my computer that show the room in *almost* its original state from a few years ago as I was laying the 1" closed cell foam on the floor and 3/4" T&G on top to create a thermal break and a much nicer floor under foot. Thought I'd share since no original photos of the space were ever posted.
I was going to say that I didn't realize you could scrape foam off of a concrete wall and have it look that pristine! When I've had to scrape foam (GreatStuff) off of things, there's always been some residue :-D
post #1228 of 1230 Unread Yesterday, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Ah the magic of finding things on the computer. I too was admiring the job you did scraping the foam off. I have had experience in this area and can say that to get that clean would take way more time/effort than I would be willing to put into it.

Looking forward to seeing how you progress from here.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #1229 of 1230 Unread Today, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I guess this confirms you are starting fresh, lol. Better to start fresh and be happy instead of wondering "what if" throughout the entire build.
post #1230 of 1230 Unread Today, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 288
This is getting good Reminds me of another thread from way back in the day. The wheels fell off of that thread around post 58, so you've actually made it a long way TMcG :roll eyes: If only we could Hanes involved!
doublewing11 likes this.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction