The Stonewater Cinema Build Thread - Page 43 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 106Likes

post #1261 of 1272 Old 03-24-2015, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 1492
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post
Tim I would love to learn how to do that when the time comes!!!
Learn what? Vacuum press?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1272 Old 03-24-2015, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 165
post #1263 of 1272 Old 03-24-2015, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 1492
Quote:
all of it the finishing and so on
For vacuum press youtube is a great resource. I found a few good videos on that. Amazing what the weight of 100 miles of atmosphere can do. It's literally tons of pressure!

For finishing- I assume you mean like stains/clears/wood dyes and such ?
I have a couple things you might like, PM incoming.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1264 of 1272 Old 03-24-2015, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes and since I live about 2 hours from Tim and an extra set of hands come in handy at times. If we can arange our schedules I know he is on the road alot.
post #1265 of 1272 Old 03-25-2015, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Yes and since I live about 2 hours from Tim and an extra set of hands come in handy at times. If we can arange our schedules I know he is on the road alot.
2 hours away?? Can't that Mustang make it in just over an 1 hour?

I have been hoarding a bunch of Amazon gift cards that I received as gifts from Christmas, etc. and I will be putting them toward one of the new 4K GoPro cameras. The plan is to add video content for a number of the building / finishing tasks for those who may be interested. The camera also has integrated time lapse features I am thinking about using for certain portions of the build-out for pure entertainment value - like skinning the room with OSB or running the hundreds of individual fiber optic strands for the star ceiling.
post #1266 of 1272 Old 03-25-2015, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
2 hours away?? Can't that Mustang make it in just over an 1 hour?

I have been hoarding a bunch of Amazon gift cards that I received as gifts from Christmas, etc. and I will be putting them toward one of the new 4K GoPro cameras. The plan is to add video content for a number of the building / finishing tasks for those who may be interested. The camera also has integrated time lapse features I am thinking about using for certain portions of the build-out for pure entertainment value - like skinning the room with OSB or running the hundreds of individual fiber optic strands for the star ceiling.
My son had a go pro and a wild life camera he used for his house build. The Go Pro was on a small drone he purchased so he would do fly overs about once a week. The camera was mounted high on a tree. It was neat after the house was finished to watch 5 months of build go by in about 10 mins. If you are on face book and interested I will look for the link and have him share it. He is a cyber defender for DOD and needless to say his securty settings on face book and his home network are tight.
post #1267 of 1272 Old 04-11-2015, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Any updates?

I've been researching HVLP since we last talked about it here. Thought you might be interested in what I've come up with.

I'm still pretty set on the 3-stage Fuji HVLP. I think it's a solid investment.

In the meantime though, I have some small pieces I need to paint and I can't see spending the $$$ on Fuji until I actually need the horsepower.

Enter the mini gun. mfusick's 3-gun set includes one but I wanted something a little better. I came across the Astro HVLP mini gun. It will spray on 4cfm and has a fan pattern about 5" wide. It is also precision machined. *No gaskets*. It gets great reviews on the forums and it's only $80.

Perfect for what I need right now. I have some molding I milled and a few 12" deep shelves to paint. Thinking back.. Imagine the waste painting 4" trim with a 12" fan (eg painting trim that is already applied to a door frame).

The Fuji mini gun is over $300 (just the gun, you need the turbine), so I think I would use the turbine and full size gun for bigger pieces (or where you could line up trim side-by-side) and use this $80 piece for smaller stuff.

HTH,
Tim
post #1268 of 1272 Old 04-11-2015, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Sharing here:
Based on advice from MM in the DIY screen section, Fixing my 130" DIY curved screen: going from DW Laminate to some painted/cloth screen , I got this
http://www.gleempaint.com/noname.html, not sure if it's available today or what not, it was value priced ... honestly I never used it, got busy with other projects, though I may "fix" my screen this summer ...

On Amazon also, got good review but out of stock now, got mine in 2011 ..
http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Recond...ef=pd_sxp_f_pt

Last edited by mtbdudex; 04-11-2015 at 03:08 PM.
post #1269 of 1272 Old 04-11-2015, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I have that sprayer. Don't regret the $50 but it is going downhill. I did spend another $30 for the 1.3mm needle. I got my theater out of it, so I got my monies worth.

The mini gun would be a good addition to this as well.

Tim
post #1270 of 1272 Old 04-12-2015, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post
Any updates?
No theater updates, but I have been busy doing laps around North America for work and my spare time at home has been consumed with a complete master bedroom update This side-project is courtesy of my wife and somehow found its way to the top of my honey-do list. It involves a new gas fireplace with marble hearth and wood mantle, 6 zones of lighting, a new ceiling fan, a bunch of different moldings (including crown), a 50" flat panel, in-wall speakers, new window treatments, paint...and maybe new carpet. And while we were in destruction mode, I cut a 48.50" swath from the center of the master bedroom wall that adjoins the nursery so we could insulate the wall and reduce noise between the rooms. I can post a little project summary once things are wrapped up for all you construction junkies, similar to what I did for the coffered ceiling and nursery.

Thanks for the other HVLP information. I own a cheap 'Paint Zoom' that I bought refurbished for $45 to use for the nursery. It did OK...but it certainly had its issues. The most annoying is that it would occasionally splatter larger drops of paint while spraying. Thankfully I had enough Flotrol in the mix that the splatters laid flat before drying, but it's certainly not a precision tool.

My neighbor has an Earlex HV5500 sprayer he's offered up on loan if I wanted. Seems like a pretty nice unit and probably sufficient for my needs. I just worry that for the amount of time I would need it I would be 'overstaying my welcome' with his generous offer.
post #1271 of 1272 Old 04-12-2015, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Why do wife's always mess up our theater building plans?

Last year for me was, "Please build 6 raised beds.......................................... NOW!!!!" before I could tackle my ceiling!
post #1272 of 1272 Old 04-12-2015, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Thanks for the other HVLP information. I own a cheap 'Paint Zoom' that I bought refurbished for $45 to use for the nursery. It did OK...but it certainly had its issues. The most annoying is that it would occasionally splatter larger drops of paint while spraying. Thankfully I had enough Flotrol in the mix that the splatters laid flat before drying, but it's certainly not a precision tool.

My neighbor has an Earlex HV5500 sprayer he's offered up on loan if I wanted. Seems like a pretty nice unit and probably sufficient for my needs. I just worry that for the amount of time I would need it I would be 'overstaying my welcome' with his generous offer.
Haha I feel your pain with the splatter. I had that happen a few times. Mostly when paint was running low.

5500 looks decent but a Ford cup time of 160 seconds? Holy moly! You would definitely need a smaller (much smaller) nozzle for stain and poly.

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page