So when I installed 2 layers of 5/8" drywall between the ceiling joists, the original wall was already in place and I didn't have any access to installing the drywall in this dead space. Well, now that the wall is gone, I had no excuse. I scraped down a bunch of foam to make way for the pieces and extended my cuts into the foam toward the exterior, leaving just enough depth to retain an air barrier.
Measured and cut all the pieces...
and installed, followed by installing R30 insulation
Previously, I framed a new wall and did a test fit to join up with one piece of existing framing that was really held tightly into place by the spray foam. I decided to use it and join this stud to the new framing through new sill and top plates.
Now here is where I made a mistake. The wall fit perfectly. Great. But what I didn't even think about doing was installing a couple of scrap pieces of wood on the face of this wall, locking every stud into position. Unseen to the naked eye, the framing went back to its natural, unstressed position when I pulled it our for the next steps. More on this later.
After confirming fit I laid the wall flat on the floor and insulated with R13
This was the reused double layer piece I cut in the theater which caused the Dust Explosion
Still, it made a very nice cut...
I didn't have a single piece of reuse material that could span the entire wall, so I was going to have to piece it in
Three pieces in total
I then attached R30 insulation to the exterior wall framing using a stapler through the paper facing to keep it in place. All seams were overlapped and the insulation batts were lined up tightly.
Next, I used longer staples to attach faced R30 insulation to the back side of this new wall I made
At this point I raised the wall into position, expecting construction perfection as it slipped perfectly into place. Yeah, not so much because of the "racking" this wall went through. It was impossible to correct without complete disassembly of the sheet material, insulation, etc. which I wasn't about to do. The next 30 minutes were rated NC-17 for strong language and adult themes as I cursed my own stupidity for not thinking about the studs moving when they weren't in-place in the wall. In fact I have no pictures of the 30 minutes after that where I hacked the wall into submission with various construction implements. In the end it wasn't that much modification, but it still set me off pretty good for some reason. I remember I was tired and it had been a long slog that day, but that's no excuse. I just missed it.
Anyhow, I had to go through and find *any* photo of the finished product and here it is:
Lesson learned - use bracing to prevent racking in stud walls when you are moving them around.