The Stonewater Cinema Build Thread - Page 57 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 316Likes

post #1681 of 1710 Old 09-20-2016, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1004 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
don't hold ur breathe for denon or marantz. they dropped the wides this year.
Don't care about wides, only care about heights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanPatterson View Post
I have not looked at it closely, just saw on their Facebook page after a search that said "Engineering director updating our sign with our #CEDIA2016 surprise announcement... 16 channels, baby! #ACT4"
I pulled it up...they changed their sign from 11.3 to 13.3 with a Sharpie. Without using the Dolby nomenclature it's hard to know exactly what channels they are processing...and if they are 'created' channels or truly discrete. Looks like they've put some good thought into the processor. I am a bit wary with a newer company to the preamp business as I've been burned before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just jim View Post
You are scaring me! The amp requirement for your system, which I'm fantasizing about, has got to spin the power meter. What do you pay for a kWh of power? In Ontario, we used have some of the cheapest power in NA, but the provincial Liberals have fixed that. The leader, Wynne has her head up her own anal orifice and has managed to get it up to 18 cents/kWh in the name of green energy!!! But the cow is now going to subsidize us with 8 cents/kWh (from who's pocket?). You got Trump. We got Wynne. I don't know who is worse off. We pay anywhere from 16 to 46 cents/kWh for the Wind power contracts that you in the States pay less than 3 cents for! Up to 83 cents for Solar. Those Liberals are tough bargainers. Good thing our health care is free!
Well, best not to get into politics, like a majority of people I don't hold much regard for the sincerity of politicians doing what's in the best interest of their constituency and see many of them as self-serving and colluding with one another to pass *their* agenda, but I digress.... Sorry to hear about your power prices. I guess it's easy for esoteric green technologies to be "competitive" when all other inexpensive power sources deemed unfriendly to the environment are heaped with expense and regulation until they are more expensive than clean energy solutions. SMH.

I'll probably automate a complete shut-down sequence for the system where the power is completely killed to all the components when not in use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 1710 Old 09-22-2016, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It looks like I will finally have some time this weekend to post some more archived progress pictures. I had a bit of plane time to organize a few more 'buckets' of pics at various stages.

Sadly, I haven't spent one minute in the theater since July 16th when my wife's water broke. Having a second child is a whole new ballgame when it comes to available free time. Shame, because I am very close to shelling in. Hoping my in-laws step in to help with child watching over weekends so I can get back at it while our newest is still immobile and nursing.

I will also update my equipment list. It's amazing how much some things have changed. I guess I've had upgradeitis without even buying some of the intended equipment in the first place. Biggest changes are a native 4K projector vs. a $3000 or less 1080p, a Marantz 7702 MKII (or similar) for immediate Atmos processing vs. an inexpensive 7.1 processor, and the various 4K sources.

I also sold off my PS4 and pre-ordered a PS4.5. With a net difference of just $75 between sell price and purchase price, I couldn't be too worried about the lack of a UHD drive to get the increased performance and HDR capability for UHD streaming.

Last edited by TMcG; 09-22-2016 at 06:09 AM.
post #1683 of 1710 Old 09-22-2016, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
It looks like I will finally have some time this weekend to post some more archived progress pictures. I had a bit of plane time to organize a few more 'buckets' of pics at various stages.

Sadly, I haven't spent one minute in the theater since July 16th when my wife's water broke. Having a second child is a whole new ballgame when it comes to available free time. Shame, because I am very close to shelling in. Hoping my in-laws step in to help with child watching over weekends so I can get back at it while our newest is still immobile and nursing.

I will also update my equipment list. It's amazing how much some things have changed. I guess I've had upgradeitis without even buying some of the intended equipment in the first place. Biggest changes are a native 4K projector vs. a $3000 or less 1080p, a Marantz 7702 MKII (or similar) for immediate Atmos processing vs. an inexpensive 7.1 processor, and the various 4K sources.

I also sold off my PS4 and pre-ordered a PS4.5. With a net difference of just $75 between sell price and purchase price, I couldn't be too worried about the lack of a UHD drive to get the increased performance and HDR capability for UHD streaming.
nice. get some pics up! i should talk cause i haven't updated mine in a while also.

at least u are moving forward! time is impossible to find with 2 kids. every night there is something. soccer mon, dance tues, wed dance, thurs soccer or basketball soon, fri makeup games, sat games, sun somethign always comes up. sucks!

jim
post #1684 of 1710 Old 09-22-2016, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Congrats on the baby! I have just enough free time to mow the lawn and take a crap with just one kid (18 mo). I was hoping you'd say it gets easier with 2!
post #1685 of 1710 Old 09-26-2016, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
Congrats on the baby! I have just enough free time to mow the lawn and take a crap with just one kid (18 mo). I was hoping you'd say it gets easier with 2!

No Nick. Not at all. With 2 kids you have much less time, and when they reach high school, no matter how much money you make, you are at or near poverty level.
jimim and BrolicBeast like this.
post #1686 of 1710 Old 09-26-2016, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Hahahahaha... Haha... Ha.

Our 2nd is 10 months now, and I have achieved literally nothing on the house since he was born. If I'm not feeding, changing, or playing with one of them, I'm either at work or asleep, it seems. With precious little of the latter.

Once the little guy hits about 18 months, and can entertain himself for a short while, I think it will calm down a bit. Until then, it's daddy duty! It is a pain, but worth every second when you get one of their big smiles.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
post #1687 of 1710 Old 09-26-2016, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post
when they reach high school, no matter how much money you make, you are at or near poverty level.
Truth x 1000000000000000!
post #1688 of 1710 Old 09-27-2016, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
No Nick. Not at all. With 2 kids you have much less time, and when they reach high school, no matter how much money you make, you are at or near poverty level.
And with 3 kids in university you wish you were near the poverty level!

Winterfell theatre build - working title
post #1689 of 1710 Old 09-27-2016, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ Bartley View Post
Hahahahaha... Haha... Ha.

Once the little guy hits about 18 months, and can entertain himself for a short while, I think it will calm down a bit. Until then, it's daddy duty! It is a pain, but worth every second when you get one of their big smiles.

And by the time they reach University age, you understand why some species eat their young. Just kidding...

post #1690 of 1710 Old 09-27-2016, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just jim View Post
And by the time they reach University age, you understand why some species eat their young. Just kidding...
University? I'm about to have 2 kids in daycare and we're bracing for poverty. Lol
post #1691 of 1710 Old 09-27-2016, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sadly, I haven't spent one minute in the theater since July 16th when my wife's water broke. Having a second child is a whole new ballgame when it comes to available free time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
time is impossible to find with 2 kids.
Quote:
I have just enough free time to mow the lawn and take a crap with just one kid (18 mo). I was hoping you'd say it gets easier with 2!
Quote:
With 2 kids you have much less time
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ Bartley View Post
Our 2nd is 10 months now, and I have achieved literally nothing on the house since he was born. If I'm not feeding, changing, or playing with one of them, I'm either at work or asleep, it seems.
Yeah, about those build pictures....the free time I was promised this weekend completely went away at the whim of my wife. Never given the chance to work one second on the theater or anything else around the house. Hormones are my enemy right now....
post #1692 of 1710 Old 09-27-2016, 06:17 AM

Don't fight it! You will lose. Lol.

Things will eventually settle down again and you can get back to work. For now just build up as much goodwill as you can, whenever you can. 😉

TMcG likes this.
post #1693 of 1710 Old 09-27-2016, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Oh I second me that my life has become do what I need to build up pluses on my side so when I need something I got some coins in my pocket to use! It's kinda like when u were 8 and u did chores for ur parents so u could use it to ur advantage when u wanted something. Lol. Funny how life comes around that way. Lol

I have been trying to get out fishing for at least 4 weeks now and haven't gotten one chance. Saturday night I had the clear cause the kids and wife were out at a play date across the street. I went to load up the truck and the wind started. I was like wtf! Seriously who the heck did I tic off! Lol
post #1694 of 1710 Old 09-30-2016, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Do the inserts have to be install from the inside? Is is ok to install them from the front?
post #1695 of 1710 Old 09-30-2016, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
@lovingdvd ....check out this install video from @popalock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5PjQMQixqk
I'm sorry I thought I clicked to quote... I was talking about these insert.
post #1696 of 1710 Old 09-30-2016, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_rep View Post
Do the inserts have to be install from the inside? Is is ok to install them from the front?
No, they don't have to be installed from the inside....but when you start to crank on the screws you are susceptible to pulling the insert out of the MDF instead of exerting the needed clamping pressure on the driver. Use the little lip of the insert to your mechanical advantage and install from the inside.
post #1697 of 1710 Old 10-08-2016, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

HVAC rework, Part 1

The original routing of my HVAC line sets was a mess. The builder went straight across the basement ceiling in the shortest possible path. When I did my home walk-through, I kindly asked how the heck I was supposed to finish out the ceiling of this basement with the way they ran these line sets. The builder agreed and had the HVAC come out and extend the line sets to the corner in a square-ish route vs. the diagonal across the ceiling.

Fast forward to early April this year. I discovered the extensions to the line sets were still not long enough to go all the way to the corner. I tried to gently coax the bends to make them reach, but they didn't. I called the original HVAC company who put in the systems and the extensions and they told me to go pound salt. I talked to another 3-4 HVAC companies and independent contractors and they were all in the $800 - $1000 range to rework all the lines. ARGH!

While in my attic I had an epiphany....the way they ran the line sets in the attic was very untidy and probably added an extra 3-5 feet to the total length. I then had the idea to loosen all of the mounting brackets and see if this extra slack could be pulled into the basement through the two-story vertical chase. I loosened all the brackets and took great care to re-bend the line sets to capture the extra length. Once I loosened all the fire blocking putty I was able to see there were no brackets holding the line sets in place vertically. With a friend in the attic and me in the basement theater, I gently started to pull enough slack downward. It worked perfectly! I had the extra slack I needed with room to spare. All was good....until.....

30 minutes later I hear this PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSH coming from one of the line sets. Apparently, this line had been severely kinked before and the slight movement was enough to break through the last of the copper wall at the kink point. That's right, all the refrigerant for one of my systems was leaking from this super tiny hole. The system wasn't even on, but I killed the power and tried fruitlessly to contain the leak. Not only did all the refrigerant leak out, but also the mineral oil lubricant, which you can see here on the plywood (more on this later).

I stripped back the foam insulation and found the kink with the leak. I definitely didn't do anything to cause this kink or leak.

I cleared my then-pregnant wife out of the house, opened the basement windows and started pumping in as much fresh air as I could to nullify the effect of 10 pounds of refrigerant leaking out at once. Not exactly healthy to breathe.

After coming back to the house, I removed all the foam insulation off one of the lines and was *STUNNED* with what I found. In this one leaky line alone, there were SEVEN serious kinks. Here's just a few...

In a way I was glad this happened otherwise I would have never known about the other kinks which were seriously hampering the efficiency of my outside condensing unit. Two of the kinks almost choked off the entire line. I removed the insulation on the other line set. It had 3 kinks in it...although all 3 were much less severe.

I called around and found a highly rated small HVAC company who was up for what I asked, which was a complete redo of the line set from the unit outside to the breech point in the ceiling basement, using a pipe bender to make super-smooth radius bends and turns.

There are not many in-progress pics as I was at work while the HVAC guys were doing their thing, but here's a shot of one pipe with all the right bends in all the right places:

And installed....

Second line set installed:

Exposed areas are where they had to braise the line set. But in the picture below you'll notice how I glued the 3/4" plywood to the inset of the steel beam and completely scraped away the spray foam back to the bare foundation wall. This was done so I could run my full-height walls and these line sets would be out of the way and completely behind the soundproof walls. The depth of the line sets was less than the depth of the spray foam on the walls which enabled this to work. To me the path was easy and would work great but explaining it to the HVAC techs was altogether different. Once they had the new lines installed and saw the finished product, though, they completely understood and could easily see why I was doing it the way.

Close up of the final run before making its exit through the rim joist of the home:

To save time I had them just get everything 'in' and I would go back later and secure / tape / organize:

Part 2 will show the rework of the exterior rim joist with soundproofing. Part 3 will show the rest of the rough out reorganization with complete before / after photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1071.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1704905   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1069.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	1704913   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0999.jpg
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	1704921   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1085.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	1704929   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1084.jpg
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	1704937  

Name:	IMG_1083.jpg
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	1704945   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1082.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	1704953   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1081.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	1704961   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1080.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	1704969   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1079.jpg
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	1704977  

Name:	IMG_1076.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	1704985   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1074.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1704993   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1073.jpg
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	1705001  
post #1698 of 1710 Old 10-08-2016, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2076 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Nice job getting that all cleaned up!
J_P_A and TMcG like this.
post #1699 of 1710 Old 10-08-2016, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2665
You have a good example why the cheapest contractor might not be the good deal. Although sometimes you get crap work with contractors that charge higher rates too.

Looks like your Hvac guys sucked
doublewing11 likes this.
post #1700 of 1710 Old 10-08-2016, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 526
post #1701 of 1710 Old 10-08-2016, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
Good to see progress TMcG!
These pictures were from April of this year. There is no way I would have survived a hot summer with a pregnant wife without air conditioning in half the house!

I have quite a few more updates to post before I am caught up to things as they stand today.
post #1702 of 1710 Old 10-08-2016, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Gak! Sometimes I have the feeling that I'd rather not even know about the horrid workmanship encapsulated in my walls by previous contractors (ignorance being bliss and all that) but in this case these hidden kinks were surely costing you a lot of money without you even knowing it! It was likely not cheap to redo the lines but still was extremely lucky that you found them. Yeesh.
post #1703 of 1710 Old 10-09-2016, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Ugh!! What a bummer to hear that noise, but what an even greater bummer it would have been had that leak never happened and the various kinks never found...
post #1704 of 1710 Old 10-09-2016, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Wow crazy story! I agree, at least it happened now instead of later.

My build thread: The Unprofessional Build
post #1705 of 1710 Old 10-11-2016, 11:56 AM

...so I wonder what kind of response you'd get by posting these kinky photos on line with the contractors name...have you shown your GC what kind of work his sub-trades do?

Nice job Tim! Imagine popping a leek sometime after the theater was complete and trying to access these lines. I'm sure you would be inventing some new words!

post #1706 of 1710 Old 10-18-2016, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Hope things are progressing well, both in the theatre department, and with family life.

I've just had to cut away a little bit of expanding foam/adhesive, where I got a bit too excited with a new toy (foam gun), only to realise that I didn't actually want this stuff where I'd sprayed it.

Anyway, it reminded me of your thread, and I thought I'd pop along to see if there's any progress.

Also, to say that, if you ever need to remove expanding foam again - a multi-tool works really well, and slices through that stuff like butter - and doesn't clog. Now I wasn't removing anything like the amount you were, but a pad-saw was slow/hard work, and very messy. The multi-tool was quick, (relatively) clean and, well, just easy!

Just for future reference!
post #1707 of 1710 Old 10-29-2016, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Dreamer View Post
Hope things are progressing well, both in the theatre department, and with family life.

I've just had to cut away a little bit of expanding foam/adhesive, where I got a bit too excited with a new toy (foam gun), only to realise that I didn't actually want this stuff where I'd sprayed it.

Anyway, it reminded me of your thread, and I thought I'd pop along to see if there's any progress.

Also, to say that, if you ever need to remove expanding foam again - a multi-tool works really well, and slices through that stuff like butter - and doesn't clog. Now I wasn't removing anything like the amount you were, but a pad-saw was slow/hard work, and very messy. The multi-tool was quick, (relatively) clean and, well, just easy!

Just for future reference!
Thanks for checking in and apologies for the delayed response but I've been on the road for work the last 3 weeks straight and fighting a persistent cold the last 2.

I have not spent one minute in the theater since our second son was born in July. He came 5.5 weeks early and I'm still feeling the effects of rescheduling 5 weeks of travel into an already packed travel schedule for the rest of the year. The pictures I posted above and the pictures I have yet to post are progress pics from earlier this year.

Thanks for your tips on the foam. When I framed the outer walls against the foam I had to make some very slight modifications so the studs did not touch the foam. I wished I knew your multi-tool trick at the time to make the job easier....thanks for sharing!!
post #1708 of 1710 Old 10-30-2016, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 905
Quote:
Thanks for checking in and apologies for the delayed response but I've been on the road for work the last 3 weeks straight and fighting a persistent cold the last 2.

I have not spent one minute in the theater since our second son was born in July. He came 5.5 weeks early and I'm still feeling the effects of rescheduling 5 weeks of travel into an already packed travel schedule for the rest of the year. The pictures I posted above and the pictures I have yet to post are progress pics from earlier this year.

Thanks for your tips on the foam. When I framed the outer walls against the foam I had to make some very slight modifications so the studs did not touch the foam. I wished I knew your multi-tool trick at the time to make the job easier....thanks for sharing!!

Dang..................I've been gone for almost 2 months from this place and was hoping for a major break through!!!

Yea know..............I just might beat yeah on 2.0!!!!!!

Yeah, kids do tend to slow things down.........................congrats on the 2nd if I haven't done so already!!!
post #1709 of 1710 Old 11-16-2016, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2665
His second kid is going to be out of diapers before this project finishes... Logan has competition.
J_P_A likes this.
post #1710 of 1710 Old 11-17-2016, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Hahaha!
Mfusick likes this.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page