OK, here are the CNC milling pics....AND....I will also post the videos!! That's right, the Stonewater Cinema YouTube channel is now up and running. I'll post in this thread when I upload new content to the channel. I don't anticipate having enough time to upload fully edited videos but hey...I've got to crawl before I walk or run, right??
We started with 18mm 13 ply to crank out all the bracing used for all four subwoofer boxes (two 24" subs and the two 18" rear subs). This machine didn't have the vacuum table to hold down all the pieces, so we had to use clamps where we could. More on this later.
Almost right out of the gate, we ended up having to work the clamps around into the very, very limited free space to keep the sheet into position. Well, the machine ended up knocking off one of the clamps and the resulting vibration from the cutting shifted the sheet.
From that point forward, we nailed everything into the 'spoil board' base underneath the work. Here you can see how tight the pieces were compacted into the sheet material and all the nails we had to use in various places to hold down the individual pieces and the sheet offcuts.
First pieces cut!
Out of two full 4'x8' sheets of Baltic Birch, this was all the material that was left. The first sheet you see pictures above was literally completely uses with just a 1" perimeter frame. I wish I had thought to take a picture of it.
This was from a little bit later in the day when I started staging all the parts and pieces to load into my vehicle.
Next up was cutting the 3/4" MDF for two rear subwoofers. I haven't been making any posts in this thread and will cover the rationale later (complete with pics), but I needed to create a 4 cubic foot sub box with as shallow depth as possible for the two rear 18" UXL subwoofers so the could be completely recessed into the rear wall. Here's the first pass on the first sheet:
We nailed down the loose offcuts to make sure they didn't move:
And finally it came time to mill the 1.5" Trupan MDF. Here's the stack of 10 sheets we loaded onto a flat cart to get them close to the machine:
We started with the back piece. And in case you are wondering, we had completely filled the dust collection system to this point. It takes about 30 minutes to change out the heavy bag and put on a new one, but since we were short on time and the CNC owner didn't have a new bag, we cut all 10 sheets of Trupan without any dust collection. We ended up manually sweeping all the dust away from the parts as the cutting proceeded after this first back piece because all the extra sawdust 'raised' the bit and didn't allow it to make the full depth cuts we needed. This was also part of the hilarity in re-running the cutting program on *mostly* cut material to get the additional cut depth after the sawdust was manually removed.
Final part came out very nice
I don't have many pics from cutting the Trupan because all of my time was spent constantly clearing mortises and cuts of sawdust. Here are the two backs, two front baffles and the side pieces.
Even with clearing the dust as each piece was being cut, sawdust still built up in the gaps and held the cut pieces in place tightly. Look at the amount of sawdust from the top and bottom pieces which had limited mortise pockets and absolutely no rabbeting around the edges:
Here you can see just how much sawdust was generated:
The dust collection system bag was filled with the first layer of material at the bottom, so only about 30% full. You can see how the layers of Baltic Birch and MDF contributed to the build-up until the system was completely full.
I kept sweeping huge piles of sawdust underneath the machine. It was probably 8 or 9 inches deep all the way around the machine by the end of the day.
Proof I was the king of sawdust on Friday:
11:15PM I was finally loaded up and ready to make the 2.5 hour drive back home:
I was a broken man after getting up at 4:30AM to load up all the material and drive 2.5 hours to the CNC shop, cut for 14 hours then drive 2.5 hours back making for 20 hour long odyssey. Instead of walking each piece around the house to get it into the basement. I was able to driver through side and back yards to get my vehicle to the basement door for unloading. Fortunately the ground was firm and didn't cause any ruts
Slightly better picture of the loaded vehicle in sunlight:
Next up, the videos!