The Stonewater Cinema Build Thread - Page 64 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 497Likes
post #1891 of 1933 Unread 03-31-2017, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post
I noticed the CNC machine was a ShopBot. Did you know they are based in Durham, NC? They offer classes.
Not until I got there. The guy told me he saved himself the freight charges by picking up in person right down the road from where he's located. Still a $20k machine as-configured, though. Vacuum table was another $8k which is why he delayed the purchase for now.

Last edited by TMcG; 04-01-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 1933 Unread 04-02-2017, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post
Oh snap!

Sick Burns on AVS:
The Savoy = 1.5
The Stonewater = 0.5

Half a point is for seriously good trash talking. Both guys have been on their games.
Hmm....I guess I'm not the guy that walks away after all.
I'm not concerned. If I hired professional contractors to build my room from scratch like Dave did, it would have been complete long before the Savoy. Dave just insulated, painted, hung a few acoustic treatments and helped put together a couple of MBMs...and yet *HE* built the theater. I could also dredge up several hundred e-mails exchanged as I took time out from my construction to help him with his room design. Oh, snap!

^^^This has to be worth at least 2 points!

UPDATE:
  • Didn't work much on the theater yesterday, but continued with the sub box glue-up
  • Pulled down the framing for the rear, right and front walls so I could spray foam insulate the rim joist areas today
  • Ran to Lowes for 2" PVC fittings so I could reconfigure the basement HVAC intake. The way I ran it before was OK, but conflicted with an intended decoupling bracket mounting point
  • Removed a bit more green spray foam to preserve full 2x4 wall depth for traditional pink fluffy insulation

Today I am spray-foaming, insulating the outer rim joist, putting all the wall sections back into position, installing blocking for the future baffle and screen walls, and installing all the decoupling brackets I have time to install. Tomorrow I will complete the low and high voltage wiring runs and insulate. Inspection is on Wednesday. Additional sheets of drywall delivered on Wednesday afternoon or Thursday (not sure yet).

I'm going to install as much of the first layer as I can by myself and then precut all the other pieces so when help shows up on Saturday morning we can get right to the installation. I'm hoping the room will be completely drywalled with both layers on Saturday and I can do the first skim coat on Saturday night. Second and final coats on Sunday then prime early Monday morning before work.

The following weekend the theater is going on a 6-8 week hiatus and loaded with all the building materials, furniture, etc. while I finish the main part of the basement. This was always part of the plan.
post #1893 of 1933 Unread 04-02-2017, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 614

post #1894 of 1933 Unread 04-03-2017, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
My CNC guy loved the suggestion and immediately bought the Oneida. I told him he should definitely buy the canister filter as well so he doesn't have any long-term problems or feel obligated to wear a mask all the time. Thanks again for the suggestion.
Glad to contribute in some small way. He won't be disappointed - those Oneida cyclones are the real deal. And yes you are correct in telling him about the Wynn filters - it's hard to beat something that improves suction and provides top notch filtration. And for what they are they really aren't that expensive - very well made.

Quote:
The following weekend the theater is going on a 6-8 week hiatus and loaded with all the building materials, furniture, etc. while I finish the main part of the basement. This was always part of the plan.
Like a kick in the nuts. What will I do at work for two months? Oh well the 24s look awesome. Please take lots of pics of how those sub enclosures go together. I've never been so interested in an mdf box before...
post #1895 of 1933 Unread 04-03-2017, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
I'm not concerned. If I hired professional contractors to build my room from scratch like Dave did, it would have been complete long before the Savoy. Dave just insulated, painted, hung a few acoustic treatments and helped put together a couple of MBMs...and yet *HE* built the theater. I could also dredge up several hundred e-mails exchanged as I took time out from my construction to help him with his room design. Oh, snap!

^^^This has to be worth at least 2 points!
That's not a 2 pointer. That's this:

I guess we can move on to drywalling now.
post #1896 of 1933 Unread 04-04-2017, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
Paint??? I made the kids paint!
Ah yes...and your wife insulated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3bham View Post
Like a kick in the nuts. What will I do at work for two months? Oh well the 24s look awesome. Please take lots of pics of how those sub enclosures go together. I've never been so interested in an mdf box before...
Don't worry, now the room dimensions are finalized I will be working on finalizing the aesthetic, so renders of the room are in your future thread while I figure things out. I'm also going to send out the vintage lock set I bought for refurbishment....and BUILDING OUT THE RACKS since they are in the main part of the basement. I have a bunch of AV gear getting installed in the basement so I will be happy to share that as well. And don't forget the visit to Kris Barber's house to pick up my new Procella P815-AMP speakers and the Lumonyx for my columns. In other words, more than enough to keep entertained while construction shifts to the rest of the basement. I promised my wife she would have the basement available by the start of summer so she and the kids can camp out in the coolest part of the house and have direct access to outside with the walk-out basement. Plus it gets rid of 99% of the clutter I have been dealing with in terms of cabinets, furniture, construction materials, etc....and it will be nice to use when I need a break!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post
I guess we can move on to drywalling now.
Agreed! Being delivered Thursday afternoon. I'm going to try and install as much as I can between delivery and Saturday morning when the cavalry shows up to help me finish the job!
post #1897 of 1933 Unread 04-06-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I promised my wife she would have the basement available by the start of summer so she and the kids can camp out in the coolest part of the house and have direct access to outside with the walk-out basement. Plus it gets rid of 99% of the clutter I have been dealing with in terms of cabinets, furniture, construction materials, etc....and it will be nice to use when I need a break!
Fair enough.

Quote:
Don't worry, now the room dimensions are finalized I will be working on finalizing the aesthetic, so renders of the room are in your future thread while I figure things out. I'm also going to send out the vintage lock set I bought for refurbishment....and BUILDING OUT THE RACKS since they are in the main part of the basement. I have a bunch of AV gear getting installed in the basement so I will be happy to share that as well. And don't forget the visit to Kris Barber's house to pick up my new Procella P815-AMP speakers and the Lumonyx for my columns. In other words, more than enough to keep entertained while construction shifts to the rest of the basement.
This is acceptable.
post #1898 of 1933 Unread 04-07-2017, 01:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Those 24" subs will be pretty insane, can't wait to see them assembled.

Out of curiosity, how come you picked 1.5" MDF over 1.5" or even 2" plywood?

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Code:
      FL  C  FR      | Input  : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
 TFL  WL     WR  TFR | Magic  : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
 TML  SL     SR  TMR | Output : Pioneer KRP-600a, SVS PB13 Ultra
 TRL  RSL   RSR  TRR |          Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #1899 of 1933 Unread 04-07-2017, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
Those 24" subs will be pretty insane, can't wait to see them assembled.

Out of curiosity, how come you picked 1.5" MDF over 1.5" or even 2" plywood?
Every time I go down to the basement and see the raw sub drivers I am shocked with how large they are. Pictures don't do any justice to their sheer size. And I can't wait to see them come together either!!

The 1.5" MDF was a found deal as the pieces were offcuts from a custom furniture guy. He sat on them for a couple years and finally decided to clean house. At $10 per offcut ($50 per box), I jumped on it. I'm not sure what approach I would have used if I was starting from scratch....probably Baltic Birch to your point for that 'little extra' of box strength.
chinadog, Gouie, ereed and 1 others like this.

Last edited by TMcG; 04-07-2017 at 06:43 AM.
post #1900 of 1933 Unread 04-07-2017, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Every time I go down to the basement and see the raw sub drivers I am shocked with how large they are. Pictures don't do any justice to their shear size. And I can't wait to see them come together either!!

The 1.5" MDF was a found deal as the pieces were offcuts from a custom furniture guy. He sat on them for a couple years and finally decided to clean house. At $10 per offcut ($50 per box), I jumped on it. I'm not sure what approach I would have used if I was starting from scratch....probably Baltic Birch to your point for that little extra of box strength.
At that price it was a steal. Baltic Birch would have been a lot more in similar thickness.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Code:
      FL  C  FR      | Input  : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
 TFL  WL     WR  TFR | Magic  : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
 TML  SL     SR  TMR | Output : Pioneer KRP-600a, SVS PB13 Ultra
 TRL  RSL   RSR  TRR |          Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #1901 of 1933 Unread 04-07-2017, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

County inspector just left. He APPROVED the theater room to be closed up with drywall! WOOT!

Drywall delivery was pushed from yesterday to today because of all the intense thunderstorms here in the South. They should be by shortly with the delivery.

Volunteer labor from a neighbor and @24Changer confirmed, so we are set to go for tomorrow morning. I'm going to see what I can do on my own tonight and very early tomorrow morning to save time tomorrow when the full crew is here and give us the best chance to finish in one day. I I thoroughly cleaned my Green Glue gun and lubricated with WD40 so there won't be any hiccups with the applicator. I have 2 full five gallon pails of Green Glue plus a bit of extra in a third pail which should be plenty even if I start to get a bit liberal with the application.

I'm going to rig up my GoPro (or iPhone) to shoot a time lapse video of the drywall installation.

Have a good weekend everyone!
ereed, mtbdudex, cowger and 2 others like this.

Last edited by TMcG; 04-10-2017 at 08:11 AM.
post #1902 of 1933 Unread 04-07-2017, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
The 1.5" MDF was a found deal as the pieces were offcuts from a custom furniture guy. He sat on them for a couple years and finally decided to clean house. At $10 per offcut ($50 per box), I jumped on it. I'm not sure what approach I would have used if I was starting from scratch....probably Baltic Birch to your point for that 'little extra' of box strength.
Do you still hear from Fusick? Still seems odd not to have him on the forum.

-

Nothing in this world will tick you off more than seeing a vegetarian eating pudding.
post #1903 of 1933 Unread 04-07-2017, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
County inspector just left and APPROVED the theater room to be closed up with drywall! WOOT!

Drywall delivery was pushed from yesterday to today because of all the intense thunderstorms here in the South. They should be by shortly with the delivery.
Not sure why I had it in my head you were from the Northeast. I'm in GA, right at the TN line. Storms have been crazy. A co-worker had $5400 in hail damage to his car from the storms.
post #1904 of 1933 Unread 04-07-2017, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1165 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
County inspector just left and APPROVED the theater room to be closed up with drywall! WOOT!

Volunteer labor from a neighbor and @24Changer confirmed, so we are set to go for tomorrow morning. I'm going to see what I can do on my own tonight and very early tomorrow morning to save time tomorrow when the full crew is here and give us the best chance to finish in one day. If I thoroughly cleaned my Green Glue gun and lubricated with WD40 so there are no hiccups with the applicator. I have 2 full five gallon pails of Green Glue plus a bit of extra in a third pail which should be plenty even if I start to get a bit liberal with the application.

I'm going to rig up my GoPro (or iPhone) to shoot a time lapse video of the drywall installation.

Have a good weekend everyone!
Wish I was able to make it this weekend to help with drywall. Looks like you will have lots of fun over the weekend! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Theater: Sony 45es, 120 inch 16:9 screen, Panny BDT500, Rotel RMB-1075, Rotel RSP-1068, Klipsch RP-280F, RP-450C, RP-160M, SVS PB13 x 2, Monster Power Conditioner, GIK acoustic panels

TV Room: Panasonic 60" plasma, Integra DTR-30.3, Axiom Audio M60, VP150, QS8, EP500
post #1905 of 1933 Unread 04-07-2017, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 642
OK. Not to toss a subwoofer question out there, but is there a "threshold" in size where MDF shouldn't be used for subwoofer construction, or are you saying that it should never be used? There are a LOT of MDF subwoofers out there, but nothing in the realm of a 24" woofer one, usually they top out around the 12" woofer range.

Just wondering. I'm not building a sub any time soon, but thought that I would ask.
post #1906 of 1933 Unread 04-08-2017, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Sad news to report....drywall installation had to be cancelled due to our oldest having a stomach bug. Started yesterday afternoon and hit again just after 1AM last night. All I have to say is thank God for a second set of bedding and a Hoover SteamVac to address the carpeting. My wife was committed to volunteering for today's Easter Egg hunt and luncheon at our church and was going to take both kids. Now she has one with her and I have the sick kid here at the house. Whatever it is seems to have passed, but we're all a bit tired this morning, that's for sure.
post #1907 of 1933 Unread 04-08-2017, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 756
The Stonewater Cinema Build Thread

Sorry for the sickness delay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

We're Facebook friends, also he's active on the group HTE, a moderator like me.
(Ugh, 146 join group requests to sift thru)
https://m.facebook.com/groups/347411...?ref=bookmarks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BllDo likes this.
post #1908 of 1933 Unread 04-08-2017, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 756
The Stonewater Cinema Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
OK. Not to toss a subwoofer question out there, but is there a "threshold" in size where MDF shouldn't be used for subwoofer construction, or are you saying that it should never be used? There are a LOT of MDF subwoofers out there, but nothing in the realm of a 24" woofer one, usually they top out around the 12" woofer range.

Just wondering. I'm not building a sub any time soon, but thought that I would ask.
It's more so proper internal bracing, both my 15" and 18" sealed are MDF.
My work friends 18" ported is MDF.

These 24" beasts take bracing to the next level.
Awesome work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TMcG likes this.

Last edited by mtbdudex; 04-08-2017 at 10:09 AM.
post #1909 of 1933 Unread 04-08-2017, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sad news to report....drywall installation had to be cancelled due to our oldest having a stomach bug. Started yesterday afternoon and hit again just after 1AM last night. All I have to say is thank God for a second set of bedding and a Hoover SteamVac to address the carpeting. My wife was committed to volunteering for today's Easter Egg hunt and luncheon at our church and was going to take both kids. Now she has one with her and I have the sick kid here at the house. Whatever it is seems to have passed, but we're all a bit tired this morning, that's for sure.
Oh no! Hope your oldest gets well. And hope the rest of the family does not catch it.

Theater: Sony 45es, 120 inch 16:9 screen, Panny BDT500, Rotel RMB-1075, Rotel RSP-1068, Klipsch RP-280F, RP-450C, RP-160M, SVS PB13 x 2, Monster Power Conditioner, GIK acoustic panels

TV Room: Panasonic 60" plasma, Integra DTR-30.3, Axiom Audio M60, VP150, QS8, EP500
post #1910 of 1933 Unread 04-10-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Sorry to hear that I know you were looking forward to closing up. But family comes first even over home theater builds - and those stomach bugs are the worst to deal with. They've been going around with regularity here in Alabama. Wish I didn't have to work all the damn time or I'd come help. Maybe my lottery tickets will come through...
post #1911 of 1933 Unread 04-10-2017, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
Believe it or not, I actually dropped by to see Mfusick's theater in-person a couple weeks ago. Looks like it's been Loganed....

He's got plenty to do with trying to get his family back into the house. I was there the day before drywall in the main part of the house, so the theater was being used as storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

I'm certainly not a sub design guru, but from my understanding, MDF is more acoustically inert than other materials. I'm not sure anything short of sensitive instrumentation could clearly hear the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
These 24" beasts take bracing to the next level.
Awesome work.
All design credit to @baniels who modified his own 24" sub design to match my needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3bham View Post
Sorry to hear that I know you were looking forward to closing up. But family comes first even over home theater builds
Thanks to all for the well-wishes. In typical kid fashion, he was back on his feet by Sunday, though he was still a bit cranky!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0532.jpg
Views:	652
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	2077601  
BllDo likes this.

Last edited by TMcG; 04-12-2017 at 06:08 AM.
post #1912 of 1933 Unread 04-11-2017, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
County inspector just left. He APPROVED the theater room to be closed up with drywall! WOOT!
Funny enough, my rough-in inspection happened Friday, and I passed it at about 0930 CDT. Such a good feeling that they will be out of my business for a while. Luckily enough, in my area, I apparently don't need to do an insulation inspection, or drywall inspection. So from rough-in, I go straight to final (with a bit of work in between). Just thought it was funny we got approved probably within the same hour for our theaters.
chirpie, TMcG and p3bham like this.
post #1913 of 1933 Unread 05-12-2017, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Really? A *month* Tim?? Did I miss something? What's going on? I know you were going to re-direct a bit, but this is sheer madness!
post #1914 of 1933 Unread 05-12-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post
Really? A *month* Tim?? Did I miss something? What's going on? I know you were going to re-direct a bit, but this is sheer madness!
It gets worse....He said six to eight weeks! But he's finishing the rest of the basement in that time so once he gets back going sounds like we will get some serious progress. It's been a tough month at work - I'm actually having to work because there's no more Stonewater discussion.
post #1915 of 1933 Unread 05-17-2017, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I've had quite a bit on my plate for the last 7 weeks. I have some updates, but will provide you with this cryptic update of what I was doing yesterday which was tangentially theater related.

This is a real pic I took with my iPhone....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0931 copy.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	2143538  
OJ Bartley likes this.
post #1916 of 1933 Unread 05-18-2017, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
I've had quite a bit on my plate for the last 7 weeks. I have some updates, but will provide you with this cryptic update of what I was doing yesterday which was tangentially theater related

You won the lottery. You're picking out your new ride, while Keith Yates and his crew are ripping out all your old stuff and starting again from scratch?
post #1917 of 1933 Unread 05-18-2017, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 441
The chrome plating on that grill was done by the same folks who are doing some metalwork for the theater. (Yes?)
post #1918 of 1933 Unread 05-19-2017, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 76
You simply relish the thought of being a theater tease... (Yes??)
post #1919 of 1933 Unread 05-22-2017, 12:36 PM

I'm voting lottery...

Because if that's your new ride I can only imagine what theater equipment you're contemplating. Perhaps 11 Goldmund Apologue Annisversary towers for the bed channels?
post #1920 of 1933 Unread 05-22-2017, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Since I live 30 minutes from him I should check on him to make sure he isn't procrastinating. LOL

Seriously, what you been up to? Inquiring minds wants to know!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction