The Stonewater Cinema Build Thread - Page 64 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 481Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1891 of 1912 Old 03-31-2017, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TMcG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,970
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post
I noticed the CNC machine was a ShopBot. Did you know they are based in Durham, NC? They offer classes.
Not until I got there. The guy told me he saved himself the freight charges by picking up in person right down the road from where he's located. Still a $20k machine as-configured, though. Vacuum table was another $8k which is why he delayed the purchase for now.

Last edited by TMcG; 04-01-2017 at 11:05 AM.
TMcG is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1892 of 1912 Old 04-02-2017, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TMcG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,970
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post
Oh snap!

Sick Burns on AVS:
The Savoy = 1.5
The Stonewater = 0.5

Half a point is for seriously good trash talking. Both guys have been on their games.
Hmm....I guess I'm not the guy that walks away after all.
I'm not concerned. If I hired professional contractors to build my room from scratch like Dave did, it would have been complete long before the Savoy. Dave just insulated, painted, hung a few acoustic treatments and helped put together a couple of MBMs...and yet *HE* built the theater. I could also dredge up several hundred e-mails exchanged as I took time out from my construction to help him with his room design. Oh, snap!

^^^This has to be worth at least 2 points!

UPDATE:
  • Didn't work much on the theater yesterday, but continued with the sub box glue-up
  • Pulled down the framing for the rear, right and front walls so I could spray foam insulate the rim joist areas today
  • Ran to Lowes for 2" PVC fittings so I could reconfigure the basement HVAC intake. The way I ran it before was OK, but conflicted with an intended decoupling bracket mounting point
  • Removed a bit more green spray foam to preserve full 2x4 wall depth for traditional pink fluffy insulation

Today I am spray-foaming, insulating the outer rim joist, putting all the wall sections back into position, installing blocking for the future baffle and screen walls, and installing all the decoupling brackets I have time to install. Tomorrow I will complete the low and high voltage wiring runs and insulate. Inspection is on Wednesday. Additional sheets of drywall delivered on Wednesday afternoon or Thursday (not sure yet).

I'm going to install as much of the first layer as I can by myself and then precut all the other pieces so when help shows up on Saturday morning we can get right to the installation. I'm hoping the room will be completely drywalled with both layers on Saturday and I can do the first skim coat on Saturday night. Second and final coats on Sunday then prime early Monday morning before work.

The following weekend the theater is going on a 6-8 week hiatus and loaded with all the building materials, furniture, etc. while I finish the main part of the basement. This was always part of the plan.
TMcG is offline  
post #1893 of 1912 Old 04-02-2017, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dlbeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 1,888
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 604
dlbeck is offline  
 
post #1894 of 1912 Old 04-03-2017, 08:00 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
My CNC guy loved the suggestion and immediately bought the Oneida. I told him he should definitely buy the canister filter as well so he doesn't have any long-term problems or feel obligated to wear a mask all the time. Thanks again for the suggestion.
Glad to contribute in some small way. He won't be disappointed - those Oneida cyclones are the real deal. And yes you are correct in telling him about the Wynn filters - it's hard to beat something that improves suction and provides top notch filtration. And for what they are they really aren't that expensive - very well made.

Quote:
The following weekend the theater is going on a 6-8 week hiatus and loaded with all the building materials, furniture, etc. while I finish the main part of the basement. This was always part of the plan.
Like a kick in the nuts. What will I do at work for two months? Oh well the 24s look awesome. Please take lots of pics of how those sub enclosures go together. I've never been so interested in an mdf box before...
p3bham is online now  
post #1895 of 1912 Old 04-03-2017, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JVoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
I'm not concerned. If I hired professional contractors to build my room from scratch like Dave did, it would have been complete long before the Savoy. Dave just insulated, painted, hung a few acoustic treatments and helped put together a couple of MBMs...and yet *HE* built the theater. I could also dredge up several hundred e-mails exchanged as I took time out from my construction to help him with his room design. Oh, snap!

^^^This has to be worth at least 2 points!
That's not a 2 pointer. That's this:


I guess we can move on to drywalling now.
JVoth is offline  
post #1896 of 1912 Old 04-04-2017, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TMcG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,970
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
Paint??? I made the kids paint!
Ah yes...and your wife insulated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3bham View Post
Like a kick in the nuts. What will I do at work for two months? Oh well the 24s look awesome. Please take lots of pics of how those sub enclosures go together. I've never been so interested in an mdf box before...
Don't worry, now the room dimensions are finalized I will be working on finalizing the aesthetic, so renders of the room are in your future thread while I figure things out. I'm also going to send out the vintage lock set I bought for refurbishment....and BUILDING OUT THE RACKS since they are in the main part of the basement. I have a bunch of AV gear getting installed in the basement so I will be happy to share that as well. And don't forget the visit to Kris Barber's house to pick up my new Procella P815-AMP speakers and the Lumonyx for my columns. In other words, more than enough to keep entertained while construction shifts to the rest of the basement. I promised my wife she would have the basement available by the start of summer so she and the kids can camp out in the coolest part of the house and have direct access to outside with the walk-out basement. Plus it gets rid of 99% of the clutter I have been dealing with in terms of cabinets, furniture, construction materials, etc....and it will be nice to use when I need a break!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post
I guess we can move on to drywalling now.
Agreed! Being delivered Thursday afternoon. I'm going to try and install as much as I can between delivery and Saturday morning when the cavalry shows up to help me finish the job!
TMcG is offline  
post #1897 of 1912 Old 04-06-2017, 03:03 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
I promised my wife she would have the basement available by the start of summer so she and the kids can camp out in the coolest part of the house and have direct access to outside with the walk-out basement. Plus it gets rid of 99% of the clutter I have been dealing with in terms of cabinets, furniture, construction materials, etc....and it will be nice to use when I need a break!
Fair enough.

Quote:
Don't worry, now the room dimensions are finalized I will be working on finalizing the aesthetic, so renders of the room are in your future thread while I figure things out. I'm also going to send out the vintage lock set I bought for refurbishment....and BUILDING OUT THE RACKS since they are in the main part of the basement. I have a bunch of AV gear getting installed in the basement so I will be happy to share that as well. And don't forget the visit to Kris Barber's house to pick up my new Procella P815-AMP speakers and the Lumonyx for my columns. In other words, more than enough to keep entertained while construction shifts to the rest of the basement.
This is acceptable.
p3bham is online now  
post #1898 of 1912 Old 04-07-2017, 01:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mashie Saldana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,226
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Those 24" subs will be pretty insane, can't wait to see them assembled.

Out of curiosity, how come you picked 1.5" MDF over 1.5" or even 2" plywood?

My HT build: Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room

Marantz | NAD | Monitor Audio | SVS | Pioneer
Mashie Saldana is offline  
post #1899 of 1912 Old 04-07-2017, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TMcG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,970
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
Those 24" subs will be pretty insane, can't wait to see them assembled.

Out of curiosity, how come you picked 1.5" MDF over 1.5" or even 2" plywood?
Every time I go down to the basement and see the raw sub drivers I am shocked with how large they are. Pictures don't do any justice to their sheer size. And I can't wait to see them come together either!!

The 1.5" MDF was a found deal as the pieces were offcuts from a custom furniture guy. He sat on them for a couple years and finally decided to clean house. At $10 per offcut ($50 per box), I jumped on it. I'm not sure what approach I would have used if I was starting from scratch....probably Baltic Birch to your point for that 'little extra' of box strength.
chinadog, Gouie, ereed and 1 others like this.

Last edited by TMcG; 04-07-2017 at 06:43 AM.
TMcG is offline  
post #1900 of 1912 Old 04-07-2017, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mashie Saldana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,226
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Every time I go down to the basement and see the raw sub drivers I am shocked with how large they are. Pictures don't do any justice to their shear size. And I can't wait to see them come together either!!

The 1.5" MDF was a found deal as the pieces were offcuts from a custom furniture guy. He sat on them for a couple years and finally decided to clean house. At $10 per offcut ($50 per box), I jumped on it. I'm not sure what approach I would have used if I was starting from scratch....probably Baltic Birch to your point for that little extra of box strength.
At that price it was a steal. Baltic Birch would have been a lot more in similar thickness.

My HT build: Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room

Marantz | NAD | Monitor Audio | SVS | Pioneer
Mashie Saldana is offline  
post #1901 of 1912 Old 04-07-2017, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TMcG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,970
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked: 959
County inspector just left. He APPROVED the theater room to be closed up with drywall! WOOT!

Drywall delivery was pushed from yesterday to today because of all the intense thunderstorms here in the South. They should be by shortly with the delivery.

Volunteer labor from a neighbor and @24Changer confirmed, so we are set to go for tomorrow morning. I'm going to see what I can do on my own tonight and very early tomorrow morning to save time tomorrow when the full crew is here and give us the best chance to finish in one day. I I thoroughly cleaned my Green Glue gun and lubricated with WD40 so there won't be any hiccups with the applicator. I have 2 full five gallon pails of Green Glue plus a bit of extra in a third pail which should be plenty even if I start to get a bit liberal with the application.

I'm going to rig up my GoPro (or iPhone) to shoot a time lapse video of the drywall installation.

Have a good weekend everyone!
ereed, mtbdudex, cowger and 2 others like this.

Last edited by TMcG; Yesterday at 08:11 AM.
TMcG is offline  
post #1902 of 1912 Old 04-07-2017, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BllDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 2,009
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
The 1.5" MDF was a found deal as the pieces were offcuts from a custom furniture guy. He sat on them for a couple years and finally decided to clean house. At $10 per offcut ($50 per box), I jumped on it. I'm not sure what approach I would have used if I was starting from scratch....probably Baltic Birch to your point for that 'little extra' of box strength.
Do you still hear from Fusick? Still seems odd not to have him on the forum.

-

Nothing in this world will tick you off more than seeing a vegetarian eating pudding.
BllDo is offline  
post #1903 of 1912 Old 04-07-2017, 07:45 AM
Member
 
NanPatterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dalton, GA
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
County inspector just left and APPROVED the theater room to be closed up with drywall! WOOT!

Drywall delivery was pushed from yesterday to today because of all the intense thunderstorms here in the South. They should be by shortly with the delivery.
Not sure why I had it in my head you were from the Northeast. I'm in GA, right at the TN line. Storms have been crazy. A co-worker had $5400 in hail damage to his car from the storms.
NanPatterson is offline  
post #1904 of 1912 Old 04-07-2017, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ereed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,594
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
County inspector just left and APPROVED the theater room to be closed up with drywall! WOOT!

Drywall delivery was pushed from yesterday to today because of all the intense thunderstorms here in the South. They should be by shortly with the delivery.

Volunteer labor from a neighbor and @24Changer confirmed, so we are set to go for tomorrow morning. I'm going to see what I can do on my own tonight and very early tomorrow morning to save time tomorrow when the full crew is here and give us the best chance to finish in one day. If I thoroughly cleaned my Green Glue gun and lubricated with WD40 so there are no hiccups with the applicator. I have 2 full five gallon pails of Green Glue plus a bit of extra in a third pail which should be plenty even if I start to get a bit liberal with the application.

I'm going to rig up my GoPro (or iPhone) to shoot a time lapse video of the drywall installation.

Have a good weekend everyone!
Wish I was able to make it this weekend to help with drywall. Looks like you will have lots of fun over the weekend! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Theater: Sony 45es, 120 inch 16:9 screen, Panny BDT500, Rotel RMB-1075, Rotel RSP-1068, Klipsch RP-280F, RP-450C, RP-160M, SVS PB13 x 2, Monster Power Conditioner, GIK acoustic panels

TV Room: Panasonic 60" plasma, Integra DTR-30.3, Axiom Audio M60, VP150, QS8, EP500
ereed is online now  
post #1905 of 1912 Old 04-07-2017, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nickbuol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Marion, Iowa
Posts: 2,775
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 620
OK. Not to toss a subwoofer question out there, but is there a "threshold" in size where MDF shouldn't be used for subwoofer construction, or are you saying that it should never be used? There are a LOT of MDF subwoofers out there, but nothing in the realm of a 24" woofer one, usually they top out around the 12" woofer range.

Just wondering. I'm not building a sub any time soon, but thought that I would ask.
nickbuol is offline  
post #1906 of 1912 Old 04-08-2017, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TMcG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,970
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked: 959
Sad news to report....drywall installation had to be cancelled due to our oldest having a stomach bug. Started yesterday afternoon and hit again just after 1AM last night. All I have to say is thank God for a second set of bedding and a Hoover SteamVac to address the carpeting. My wife was committed to volunteering for today's Easter Egg hunt and luncheon at our church and was going to take both kids. Now she has one with her and I have the sick kid here at the house. Whatever it is seems to have passed, but we're all a bit tired this morning, that's for sure.
TMcG is offline  
post #1907 of 1912 Old 04-08-2017, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mtbdudex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 5,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 737
The Stonewater Cinema Build Thread

Sorry for the sickness delay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
Do you still hear from Fusick? Still seems odd not to have him on the forum.


We're Facebook friends, also he's active on the group HTE, a moderator like me.
(Ugh, 146 join group requests to sift thru)
https://m.facebook.com/groups/347411...?ref=bookmarks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BllDo likes this.
mtbdudex is online now  
post #1908 of 1912 Old 04-08-2017, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mtbdudex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 5,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 737
The Stonewater Cinema Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
OK. Not to toss a subwoofer question out there, but is there a "threshold" in size where MDF shouldn't be used for subwoofer construction, or are you saying that it should never be used? There are a LOT of MDF subwoofers out there, but nothing in the realm of a 24" woofer one, usually they top out around the 12" woofer range.

Just wondering. I'm not building a sub any time soon, but thought that I would ask.
It's more so proper internal bracing, both my 15" and 18" sealed are MDF.
My work friends 18" ported is MDF.

These 24" beasts take bracing to the next level.
Awesome work.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TMcG likes this.

Last edited by mtbdudex; 04-08-2017 at 10:09 AM.
mtbdudex is online now  
post #1909 of 1912 Old 04-08-2017, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ereed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,594
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Sad news to report....drywall installation had to be cancelled due to our oldest having a stomach bug. Started yesterday afternoon and hit again just after 1AM last night. All I have to say is thank God for a second set of bedding and a Hoover SteamVac to address the carpeting. My wife was committed to volunteering for today's Easter Egg hunt and luncheon at our church and was going to take both kids. Now she has one with her and I have the sick kid here at the house. Whatever it is seems to have passed, but we're all a bit tired this morning, that's for sure.
Oh no! Hope your oldest gets well. And hope the rest of the family does not catch it.

Theater: Sony 45es, 120 inch 16:9 screen, Panny BDT500, Rotel RMB-1075, Rotel RSP-1068, Klipsch RP-280F, RP-450C, RP-160M, SVS PB13 x 2, Monster Power Conditioner, GIK acoustic panels

TV Room: Panasonic 60" plasma, Integra DTR-30.3, Axiom Audio M60, VP150, QS8, EP500
ereed is online now  
post #1910 of 1912 Old Yesterday, 07:14 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Sad news to report....drywall installation had to be cancelled due to our oldest having a stomach bug. Started yesterday afternoon and hit again just after 1AM last night. All I have to say is thank God for a second set of bedding and a Hoover SteamVac to address the carpeting. My wife was committed to volunteering for today's Easter Egg hunt and luncheon at our church and was going to take both kids. Now she has one with her and I have the sick kid here at the house. Whatever it is seems to have passed, but we're all a bit tired this morning, that's for sure.
Sorry to hear that I know you were looking forward to closing up. But family comes first even over home theater builds - and those stomach bugs are the worst to deal with. They've been going around with regularity here in Alabama. Wish I didn't have to work all the damn time or I'd come help. Maybe my lottery tickets will come through...
p3bham is online now  
post #1911 of 1912 Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TMcG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,970
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
Do you still hear from Fusick? Still seems odd not to have him on the forum.
Believe it or not, I actually dropped by to see Music's theater in-person a couple weeks ago. Looks like it's been Loganed....


He's got plenty to do with trying to get his family back into the house. I was there the day before drywall in the main part of the house, so the theater was being used as storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
OK. Not to toss a subwoofer question out there, but is there a "threshold" in size where MDF shouldn't be used for subwoofer construction, or are you saying that it should never be used? There are a LOT of MDF subwoofers out there, but nothing in the realm of a 24" woofer one, usually they top out around the 12" woofer range.

Just wondering. I'm not building a sub any time soon, but thought that I would ask.
I'm certainly not a sub design guru, but from my understanding, MDF is more acoustically inert than other materials. I'm not sure anything short of sensitive instrumentation could clearly hear the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
These 24" beasts take bracing to the next level.
Awesome work.
All design credit to @baniels who modified his own 24" sub design to match my needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3bham View Post
Sorry to hear that I know you were looking forward to closing up. But family comes first even over home theater builds
Thanks to all for the well-wishes. In typical kid fashion, he was back on his feet by Sunday, though he was still a bit cranky!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0532.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	2077601  
TMcG is offline  
post #1912 of 1912 Old Today, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
sigma722's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 756
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
County inspector just left. He APPROVED the theater room to be closed up with drywall! WOOT!
Funny enough, my rough-in inspection happened Friday, and I passed it at about 0930 CDT. Such a good feeling that they will be out of my business for a while. Luckily enough, in my area, I apparently don't need to do an insulation inspection, or drywall inspection. So from rough-in, I go straight to final (with a bit of work in between). Just thought it was funny we got approved probably within the same hour for our theaters.
sigma722 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off