Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1 of 943 Old 11-29-2012, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 214
As the sign says, welcome to the Stonewater Cinema. After almost two years of "Coming Soon - The Stonewater Cinema build thread" as an inactive link in my AVS Forum autosignature.....I am happy to make this link official and active!!!Technically speaking, some of the actual construction has already begun but don't worry - I have barely finished framing the room and have plenty of pictures to share with everyone to catch up to its present status. Some decisions on design and equipment have already been made, but there is a lot yet to be decided so I sincerely look forward to feedback from everyone who reads (i.e. lurks) on this thread. Given the number of PMs and well-deserved public harassment I have received to get things going, my goal is to make your wait worthwhile.Instead of launching into a huge introductory post, I thought I would keep things relatively simple and high-level here in this first post and let subsequent posts fill in the details with words and pictures. As a handy reference, I will be creating an index here in this first post so you can quickly jump to any stage of my construction build as things progress.First, I'd like to give you a bit of background on the design theme for my theater. For some reason I have always seemed to gravitate to the Art Deco style found in the old cinema palaces of the 1920s, 1930s and 1940s. If you ever are in the San Francisco Bay area, there is one of the world's best examples of a classic Art Deco movie palace in Oakland, CA - The Paramount Theater. Yes, the style can be a bit over-the-top, but there are many classic Art Deco themes that started with this theater. Here are a few pictures:The main entrance to the theater, "Always The Best Show In Town". Notice how my marquee above follows the original deco theme in this photo:Main theater stage as seen from the balcony:Main lobby showing a number of Art Deco design themes I will be translating to my theater: backlit glass with metalwork in front and tiered edge details:Close-up of main lobby side wall. Again, backlit glass with decorative and sculptural metal in front:It is my goal to create a classic Art Deco home theater but with an updated, yet elegant look that extracts some of the design themes I like. I ended up drawing a fairly detailed blueprint of the room, complete with ceiling, front, side and rear elevations - all of which I will share in an upcoming post. I decided to hire on Dennis Erskine and his talented team to translate my drawings into CAD and tweak where needed. I had been entertaining the thought of hiring Dennis for quite some time, primarily for the acoustic analysis of the room and to get the right acoustic environment for the room - which as we all know has great impact on the quality of the final product. I went into this process with a goal of getting the biggest "bang for my buck" with a high-value system, despite my tendencies (and I think a lot of Forum member's tendencies) to really go for a high-end system, which meant that hiring outside professional services was on my radar, but not a definite. That all changed and I ended up contracting with Dennis when I decided to pull the trigger on a very special purpose-built theater speaker system. More on that equipment choice to follow.....how's that for a teaser? I will be updating this thread frequently to catch everyone up to present status, including details of all the equipment I have purchased so far.

EQUIPMENT LIST

Sources
DirecTV HR34-700 Genie DVR satellite system with two DirecTV H25 clients
HTPC running JRiver Media Center - Final configuration TBD
Oppo Bluray player TBD, likely the BDP-103D
Sony PS4

Network
Cisco SRW2048 48-port Gigabit Switch with WebView
Asus RT-AC68U Dual Band Wireless AC 1900 Gigabit Router

AV Electronics - Home Theater
Sherbourn PT-7030 Preamp/processor
Sherbourn PA7-350 - 350 wpc x 7 channel amplifier (Quantity 3)
Crest Audio Pro-Lite 7.5 OR Peavy IPR2 7500 amplifier for four IST UXL-18 subwoofers
Crest Audio Pro-Lite 2.0 OR Peavy IPR2 2000 amplifier for 8 Buttkicker LFE transducers
QSC Core 250i DSP (planned)

AV Electronics - Distributed Audio / Video system
Savant SLN-88BT 8x8 HDBaseT HDMI Matrix switch
Savant SmartLink HRX-SLN501 HDBaseT Receiver (Quantity 5)
Savant Smart Audio SSA-3220 32x20 distributed audio matrix
Sherbourn PA18-45 (Quantity 3)

Projector
TBD - Currently looking at Sony VPL-VW600ES (preferred) if I go 4K, otherwise looking at the Epson 6030ub or the Sony VPL-HW55ES
Panamorph DC1 Anamorphic lens with Panamorph ATH2 remote controlled automatic motorized lens transport

Screen
Stewart Filmscreen Cine-V screen frame with 50' radius curve and 2-way vertical masking system
Seymour Center Stage XD (141" wide x 60" high (153" diagonal), acoustically transparent, 2.37:1 with acoustically transparent side masking panels

Speakers
Procella Audio P610 (Quantity 3) for Left, Center and Right Channels
Procella Audio P6 (Quantity 6) for two pairs of side channels and one pair of back channels
Procella Audio P10si (Quantity 3) for balancing subwoofers
IST UXL-18 (Quantity 4) with DIYSoundgroup 4 cu ft. subwoofer enclosures

Cables
Canare 4S11 for all speakers
Belden 5T00UP 10awg for all subwoofers
Monoprice Redmere (or similar) for all HDMI wires
All other wires in the rack will be custom-made and terminated by me

Control
Savant HST-4501 Host Controller
Savant SSR-1000 handheld remote (Quantity 4)
iPad 4th Generation with Retina Display (Quantity 3)
iPad Mini with Retina Display (Quantity 1)
iDock Glass Landscape with Touchcode security (Quantity 2) for wall-mounted docking and charging of iPads

Traditional Lighting
Lutron GRX-3106 Grafik Eye 6 zone lighting controller with SeeTouch SG-4SN (black) 4-button backlit keypad with raise/lower function
Lutron GRX-CI-PRG Grafik Eye 3000 Astronomic Timeclock and Programmer Interface

Philips Color Kinetics RGB LED Lighting System
Philips Color Kinetics iPlayer3 DMX Controller with IP interface
Philips Color Kinetics iColor Flex SL strand lights (Quantity 16)
Philips Color Kinetics sPDS-480ca 7.5v Rack-mounted power supply for data and power for iColor Flex SL strands
Philips Color Kinetics iColor Cove EC Powercore 12" RGB LED fixtures for soffit and accent lighting (Quantity 105)
Philips Color Kinetics sPDS-480ca 24v Rack-mounted power supply for data and power for the iColor Cove EC Powercore fixtures
Philips Color Kinetics MRg2 (Quantity 5) for RGB LED screen washers and (Quantity 3) for illuminating the LCRs behind the screen
Philips Color Kinetics PDS-70mr 24v power supply for MRg2 bulbs
Philips Color Kinetics iColor Keypad (Quantity 1)

Star Ceiling
FOSI Fiber Optic Star ceiling with dimmable LED bulb (tied to one zone of the Grafik Eye)

Power Conditioning
Richard Gray Powerhouse - AC Power Purification and isolation
APC S20BLK - Network Manageable 1.25kW S Type Power Conditioner with Battery Backup 120V

Seating
Berkline 090 Series (Quantity 8) with integrated Buttkicker LFE tactile transducers

Middle Atlantic Racks and Accessories
Middle Atlantic MRK-4431 gangable rack enclosures (Quantity 2) with rear door and PFD-44 locking Plexiglas front door

BUILD INDEX
superleo and BrolicBeast like this.

Last edited by TMcG; 07-09-2014 at 08:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 943 Old 11-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Reserved for comment....after I read this Novel...lol

Glad you finally got it up Tim, really looking forward to our chats and your progress.

Dave

Edit: Great Introduction. For all those that are following, all I can say is with Tim's Intelligence, AV knowledge, carpenter skills, and attention to detail there is absolutely no doubt that his Theater will be one of a kind. I have come to that conclusion after well over a thousand emails/calls in the last 6 months discussing both of our Theaters.

Let's go !
post #3 of 943 Old 11-29-2012, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 188
This is going to be epic! Looking forward to this one for sure.

I've always liked the Art Deco style theaters as well. I just don't have the artistic wherewithal to pull it off. I'm anxious to see your take on it. I'm envious already smile.gif

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #4 of 943 Old 11-29-2012, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Ready to follow this one. Bring on the construction!! biggrin.gif
post #5 of 943 Old 11-29-2012, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Love the classic Deco look, too. Make sure your stage will be deep enough to hold the organ. biggrin.gif

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #6 of 943 Old 11-29-2012, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Oh yeah! This is going to be awesome!

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #7 of 943 Old 11-29-2012, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Subscribing to this one. Looking forward to seeing it come together.

Shan
post #8 of 943 Old 11-29-2012, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm really looking forward to this project as well. It seems I cannot get my blueprints / drawings translated into a format that Photobucket can understand, so I will have to leave that until tomorrow's posts. I will probably be making quite a few posts over the next several days, but here are a few to start.

Transporting the screen that I bought online and picked up at the local distribution hub to save $$:

Screen in 2.35:1 aspect ratio:

Screen in 1.78:1 aspect ratio with motorized masking system:

Pile 'o Procella Speakers:

Panamorph UH-480 anamorphic lens with ATH1 automatic sled:

Hopefully you will start to see a bit of the scale of this theater coming together. All the details on system design and the construction drawings will come tomorrow.
post #9 of 943 Old 11-29-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Looking forward to watching this real time. It's been slow around here lately with a bunch of theaters stalling after drywall.

I started out with highend plans and feel pretty foolish at this point. I think "bang for the buck" is a wise choice.

post #10 of 943 Old 11-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Alright! Another build to follow. Subscribed!
post #11 of 943 Old 11-29-2012, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post

Looking forward to watching this real time. It's been slow around here lately with a bunch of theaters stalling after drywall.
I started out with highend plans and feel pretty foolish at this point. I think "bang for the buck" is a wise choice.

Well, I started out looking at a full Klipsch THX Ultra2 system and ended up buying a full stack of Procellas. I was looking at a Panasonic projector with lens memory and ended up getting an anamorphic lens with the fully automated transport, of course. And I was looking at going the DIY screen route for a 120" width CIH screen and I ended up with a 60" x 141" 2.35 Stewart Filmscreen Cine-V with motorized side masking panels. Not to mention hiring out the professional layout service.

So I have to say that I am heading down the road of my "bucks going BANG!" than "bang for my bucks"!!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

To be fair though, much of this was being at the right place at the right time, particularly with the deal I was able to get on the screen.

With our first baby due in late April, I can't afford any rest or stalling after drywall - I will push through to the end, guaranteed!
post #12 of 943 Old 11-29-2012, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
About time you started wink.gif Hey the picture in that new screen looks incredibly lifelike.

My "Old Vic" Theater Build
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #13 of 943 Old 11-30-2012, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Somebody has been holding out on us.........wink.gif

Looks like some really nice gear and I'm sure your room will be commensurate.

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
post #14 of 943 Old 11-30-2012, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post

About time you started wink.gif Hey the picture in that new screen looks incredibly lifelike.

I agree. The 8K picture is incredibly lifelike....unfortunately the only source content I have shows images of construction supplies on an infinite loop!! wink.gif

Glad to have you along for the ride. Your build is certainly one of my own personal inspiration builds, particularly with the quality of execution in every last detail. I'll be explaining my plan in subsequent posts, but it was your build and StockMonkey's build that really swayed me to take the plunge and build an IB subwoofer setup, so please don't hold back on the comments once you see the plan unfold!!
post #15 of 943 Old 11-30-2012, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Hey, us West Carolinians don't normally fraternize with you East Carolinians!!! Which, by the way, we should change! If things go smoothly for this build, perhaps we can finally have one of our regional AVS meets we keep talking about here at the Stonewater Cinema. Sound good? As you can see in a few of the pictures above, like most AVS builds I am obligated to simultaneously finish the rest of the basement as well. I will have a 9' pool table, darts, a full bar with dual-tap kegerator and a couple of full-on extra comfortable kick-back spaces for hanging out so maybe we can put it on the calendar once things get a bit closer to done.
post #16 of 943 Old 11-30-2012, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 92
I'm in Houston but I might just have to crash that meet if it includes pool, darts, & 2 taps.
post #17 of 943 Old 11-30-2012, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Hopefully you will start to see a bit of the scale of this theater coming together. All the details on system design and the construction drawings will come tomorrow.

We have the same granite smile.gif
post #18 of 943 Old 11-30-2012, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

I'm in Houston but I might just have to crash that meet if it includes pool, darts, & 2 taps.

If you are willing to make the trip from that distance, you are more than welcome. We are a quick 15 minutes from Charlotte airport so it would be very easy to pick you up. Plus we have four (soon to be three) extra bedrooms as an alternative to a hotel if you would like.

My intent was to keep this thread focused on the theater, but I can certainly sprinkle in some pictures of the basement if everyone would like to see the concurrent progress...
post #19 of 943 Old 11-30-2012, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Hey, us West Carolinians don't normally fraternize with you East Carolinians!!! Which, by the way, we should change! If things go smoothly for this build, perhaps we can finally have one of our regional AVS meets we keep talking about here at the Stonewater Cinema. Sound good? As you can see in a few of the pictures above, like most AVS builds I am obligated to simultaneously finish the rest of the basement as well. I will have a 9' pool table, darts, a full bar with dual-tap kegerator and a couple of full-on extra comfortable kick-back spaces for hanging out so maybe we can put it on the calendar once things get a bit closer to done.

Oh! Its like that! You goin East vs West One Me!???? Haha!tongue.gif

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
post #20 of 943 Old 11-30-2012, 06:24 AM

Liked: 10
Glad to see others using there SUV as a truck. My wife hates it when I use her Yukon as pickup truck and hall 30 2x4.
post #21 of 943 Old 11-30-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you are willing to make the trip from that distance, you are more than welcome. We are a quick 15 minutes from Charlotte airport so it would be very easy to pick you up. Plus we have four (soon to be three) extra bedrooms as an alternative to a hotel if you would like.
My intent was to keep this thread focused on the theater, but I can certainly sprinkle in some pictures of the basement if everyone would like to see the concurrent progress...

Charlotte was on the short list when we moved from CA. We spent a week there looking at houses and really liked a few areas north of town (Huntersville, Davidson) and a few to the south (Waxhaw, Weddington). Finally decided to stay close to family and landed in Houston. Doesn't mean I won't be back, especially for an Art Deco theater premier.
post #22 of 943 Old 11-30-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post

.........Hey the picture in that new screen looks incredibly lifelike.

I bet it's 48 fps, too!

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #23 of 943 Old 11-30-2012, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allybuck64 View Post

Glad to see others using there SUV as a truck.

Absolutely!! It's a Cadillac SRX, so all the guys at 84 Lumber always get a chuckle when I start loading up and hauling out the lumber because they are so use to seeing only pickups and normal flat bed trucks. But hey, to get to the finish line I have to watch every last penny to make the budget work so delivery charges are not my friend.

I probably should've taken a picture of it, but I have hauled every last drop of framing lumber in this thing - even the 12' long 2 x 12s. My first load of 2 x 4 x 105s was so big that my tailgate was completely horizontal and the vehicle definitely showed a bit of strain on the rear suspension. Thankfully I have a V8 engine and am past most of the heavy hauling stage.

I'll post some pics a bit later today, but another friend and forum member, ten8yp, helped me with two huge loads of sheet material and insulation for the theater...it's literally piled chest high in one stack and waist high in another. In fact you'll probably see him pop in from time-to-time to help out in the construction.
post #24 of 943 Old 11-30-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
TMcG, what's the size and make of that screen? It looks huge! Have you decided on a projector yet?
post #25 of 943 Old 11-30-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Congrats on the baby on the way. You definitely have something to motivate you to get it all done sooner than later. So you'll be used to being sleep deprived when the baby arrives. smile.gif

This is going to be a great build thread. Tim was extremely helpful and always pushing great advice my way in my thread.

Looking forward to following along and hoping in some small way I can help too.
post #26 of 943 Old 11-30-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
I'm liking the theme a lot. Looking forward to see the architectural elements to display the art deco look.

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #27 of 943 Old 11-30-2012, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phisch View Post

TMcG, what's the size and make of that screen? It looks huge! Have you decided on a projector yet?

It is larger than I was originally looking for, but I couldn't pass up on the deal. It is a Stewart Filmscreen Cine-V which is a curved screen with motorized vertical side masking panels to mask the image down to 1.78:1 from 2.35:1. The screen frame has a 50' radius curve.

The viewable dimensions are: 60" x 141" (153" diagonal) in 2.35:1 mode and 60" x 107" (122" diagonal) in 1.78:1 mode. The frame adds another 15" in height and another 12" in overall width to these viewable dimensions.

Now for the screen material itself, it originally came with the Studiotek 130 G3 1.3 gain material without the acoustically transparent microperforations. I worked through a Stewart dealer and was able to see if the original screen could be "microperfed" after the fact. Sadly, this was not possible according to Stewart and my only option was to get a brand new Studiotek 130 G3 with the mircoperfs directly from the factory. The cost for the replacement screen . . . . $7,000!!!! To make matters worse, this did not include the grommeting or labor charges - plus they REQUIRED that the entire screen be freight shipped to California and then freight shipped to me. All totaled it would have been nearly $13,000 to have this screen frame retrofitted with an AT Studiotek 130 G3 with new AT side masking panels. So it was a no-brainer to look at other options. I looked at SMX, Seymour AV and several others, but I just couldn't think to go anywhere else but Seymour after the conversation I had with Chris. He was actually excited to tackle the project!!

So the original screen material is currently at Seymour AV so a perfect replacement can be made with their Center Stage XD screen material using a grommet-based tensioning system. I would have liked to go for the new Enlightor 4K material from Seymour, but the weave is much more delicate and cannot hold the grommets. It can only be tensioned with a splining system. Given the mechanical confines of the screen tensioning system in the frame, I did the best I could with my screen selection.

The trickier bit is that the non-acoustically transparent side masking panels that originally came with this screen frame must also be duplicated into their acoustically transparent counterparts. Fortunately, Seymour AV uses the exact same acoustically transparent fabric as Stewart, so it will be a perfect match from a visual perspective. I ended up uninstalling and sending the entire motor assembly with the masking system still attached so every detail in the replication would be dead-on. Chris Seymour is really going the extra mile and personally overseeing the duplication effort of both the screen and side masking panels, so I know I am in good hands and the result should be terrific.

Actually one other challenge is that the screen is so big and my ceiling height so limited that I will have to partially recess the top of the screen frame into my perimeter soffit....all but an inch or two from my calculations....to get proper sight lines for the second row of seating.

The screen is currently packed up for protection, but here are a few more pictures of the screen when I had it out, assembled and was testing the motors. You can more clearly see the curvature of the screen in these pictures.

50' Radius Curve:

Full screen width just over 13 feet:

Masking system in motion....
Left mask 1

Left mask 2

Left mask 3

Left mask 4

Left mask 5

Back side of original masking panel:

As for the projector, I am currently looking at the Epson 5020 or 6020 as one of the only (inexpensive) projectors bright enough to fill this screen with enough light while enabling enough throw distance to have the projector in the very back of the room. I would be open to Runco, Digital Projection, Wolf or any other professional flame thrower if one was available for a song. Fat chance of that happening, but I will be building my hush box large enough to fit a bigger projector if I ever find that deal or upgrade to a projector bigger than the Epson.
post #28 of 943 Old 11-30-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

That's quite a screen. I was wondering what your mounting plans were because it practically runs floor to ceiling already. I guess that eliminates the need to build screen wall panels.wink.gif

Sounds like Chris is taking really good care of you on the screen and masking panels. He's great to work with.
post #29 of 943 Old 11-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I really like that masking system. Does that ride in any sort of a channel along the side or does it just free fall like a window blind would? Also, does it ride down on top of the screen or does it sit a short distance away.

This is going to be fun to watch, good luck.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #30 of 943 Old 11-30-2012, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

That's quite a screen. I was wondering what your mounting plans were because it practically runs floor to ceiling already. I guess that eliminates the need to build screen wall panels.wink.gif
Sounds like Chris is taking really good care of you on the screen and masking panels. He's great to work with.

Actually, the extra space on either side of the screen is about 18", so I will have to build something. I haven't had the chance to convert all the blueprints and drawings yet to give everyone a proper view of the room, but in following the Art Deco style theme I plan to do a veneered plywood cascade of three "columns" that will curve down from the side walls down to the curved screen. I plan to build the entire screen wall curved as well so the look will be nice and smooth with the gentle 50' radius. I believe Sandman did that in his theater when he updated his room to one with a curved screen. I think it is a more tailored look than the sides of the screen suspended almost 5 inches off the wall.

Here is a picture of the main meeting room at a place called The Centre Ivanhoe in Queensland, Australia. It is another authentic Art Deco building known for its architectural and interior details. You see the cascade of lighted columns on either side of the stage...this is what I plan to reconstruct out of wood and use some RGB LED lights in little "slots" I will create between each of the column cascades. At least that's how it's going to work in my mind at this point.....rolleyes.gif

Here are the columns and front stage with the lights at a lower intensity

Same room with the lights at full brightness:
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page