Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-01-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14

Howdy again...

The weather's getting cooler out, so I'm getting my winter project list together for a few things.

One of them is attaching some acoustical panels to the drywalled ceiling in the theater.
I have a pretty big slap echo that I'd like to get rid of, and I'm bored and looking for something to do and measure down there.

Anyway, I may building my own with the extra OC703 I have, or I may get ones to match the ones I already have from ATS Acoustics.

I'm looking for some ingenious ways to attach them to the ceiling, preferably with an inch or two air gap off the drywall.

I can attach spacer strips to the ceiling for each panel, but how to attach the panel to the strip?

Or alternatively, screw the spacer strip to the back of the panel, but then, how to attach the whole thing to the ceiling?

Hook and eye latches would work, but I'm looking for something a little more discreet.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-01-2012, 12:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I found these Rotofast anchors work well for mounting OC703 panels to doors and ceilings.
http://www.atsacoustics.com/item--Rotofast-Snap-On-Anchors--rotofast.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-01-2012, 07:01 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Ask me in a week. On my current project I'm installing some Quest ceiling panels and they were supposedly shipped with the necessary hanging hardware but I haven't looked.

PROJECTS:

post #4 of 7 Old 12-01-2012, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Hook and eye latches could be discreet if they are not near the edges. Maybe a couple cross-pieces can be added to the frame, and those can be used to hang the panel. Of course, if the hangers are too far from the edges, you might not be able to reach them.

post #5 of 7 Old 12-02-2012, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

BIG - Look forward to what they ship with. I'll bump the thread next week.

After some more thinking, I think I'll consider painting black four screw eyelets in the ceiling and either four more in the back of each panel or some other low-profile attachment loop in the panel and then use black zip ties to connect them and hang the panel. Zip ties will make it really easy to make sure the panel is level and as tight to the ceiling as I want.

Thanks for the ideas.

post #6 of 7 Old 12-16-2012, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Ask me in a week. On my current project I'm installing some Quest ceiling panels and they were supposedly shipped with the necessary hanging hardware but I haven't looked.

I assume you were referring to the Fall Frenzy theater for these... So what did they ship with?

post #7 of 7 Old 12-16-2012, 05:54 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 613
http://www.rotofast.com/instructions_snap_on.htm

Due to concerns from the homeowner and his over the top sub, we used toggle bolts to secure the posts to the ceiling. We found that 3 people is the optimum number to hang a 2x6 panel. We used six fasteners per panel.

PROJECTS:

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page