Mike's down-under theatre build - Almost done - more pics. - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 125 Old 11-04-2013, 01:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi Mike,

Just North of Sydney on the central coast. Existing room has one outlet on the ceiling connecting the a central/zoned system. Am planning on getting the original AC company out to quote on - air returns and also weather it can be moved over to a separate zone, to avoid that exact problem you've described of freezing the rest of the house. I'm guessing in winter it will be reasonably temperate, but then there's the reverse problem - heating on in the rest of the house would make the theatre too hot, so separate zone would be great.

Anyway glad to hear you and friends are getting enjoyment out of the room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 125 Old 11-04-2013, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 21
The theatre is on its own zone, but family room is a permanently on zone, so gets coldish.
Return air a must so less fan pressure needed to cool.
post #123 of 125 Old 02-21-2014, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Long time no updates.
Theatre was offline last week as I decided to move the rack to the next room.
Trying to use a wire coathanger to feed thick speaker wire through a wall cavity filled with insulation is not fun, especially when the new outlet is 600mm up and to the side of the old one.
But - a big push last night and after litres of blood, sweat and cursing I have my AV rack in the bar with a 21" monitor.
HT room is cooler and quieter and less distracting lights.
Happy with the result but forgot to feed through my 3.5mm extender so now unable to run my audessy mic through the wall - Doh!
post #124 of 125 Old 03-18-2014, 02:55 PM

Liked: 10

Hey Mikey,

Just found your thread and it encouraged me to stop lurking and finally make an account.

I am also building a home in Adelaide with a dedicated home theatre, My room will be a bit smaller at 4 x 5 mtr :( but otherwise I aim to have a very similar set-up to what you have been working on.

I like what you have done with the floor raiser and plan to build something similar, I don't think I will have the room for the screen setup you have, I will probably just have the screen flat against the wall. I also have a dedicated server/equipment room so that should free up some space.

Our house has had the slab finished and the framework is going up before the end of the week, do you have any tips or advice that you could offer someone in my situation?

Great post and very relatable to my situation, look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Cheers,

Paul

post #125 of 125 Old 04-05-2014, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bst99 View Post

Hey Mikey,

Just found your thread and it encouraged me to stop lurking and finally make an account.
I am also building a home in Adelaide with a dedicated home theatre, My room will be a bit smaller at 4 x 5 mtr frown.gif but otherwise I aim to have a very similar set-up to what you have been working on.

I like what you have done with the floor raiser and plan to build something similar, I don't think I will have the room for the screen setup you have, I will probably just have the screen flat against the wall. I also have a dedicated server/equipment room so that should free up some space.

Our house has had the slab finished and the framework is going up before the end of the week, do you have any tips or advice that you could offer someone in my situation?

Great post and very relatable to my situation, look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Cheers,
Paul

Sorry for late reply!

My advice would be to at least do a double gyprock layer, with some "green-glue" type adhesive inbetween. Also make sure your door is solid core and airtight.
I don't bother my neighbours, but I do bother my wife if she is not interested in the movie I am watching, which is a pain.

If you can, do a staggered double stud frame for the HT room to just add that little but more seperation between rooms.

Ultimately though, good noise control batts, some good thick gyprock, and a reasonably airtight room will cut a good 40db off the sound which will make it bearable throughout the home.

Good luck on the build and look forward to seeing some pics!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page