Cobb28 Theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-03-2012, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all. Been lurking for about a decade. Long story short. We are building a new home currently with a completion date of beginning of January. I have made a sketchup of my theater. The seating and all audio/video equipment is decided, everything is en route aside from the seats I will order from Roman in a few days. The theater is 20' wide x 27' long x 8 ft ceilings, with two rows of seating. The screen will be a 128" 2.35:1. Here is the dilemma. I have to decide what to do with this front wall. I have been researching theaters for months. I could use some valuable input. Our home builder has asked me to come up with the design for the front wall. The framers are basically waiting on me. I am at a loss here.

The look I'm going for is modern/contemporary. Not the traditional theater feel. I will have columns on the side walls of the theater. Columns will be bumped out 4" drywall and 12" wide affixed with some crown molding. The fronts speakers are all to scale in the image. My original plan was to hide the speakers except for the sub woofers which will be put in the corners with 4" clearance on all sides. They may be hidden at a later date. I do not like the idea of building a false wall. I have entertained the idea of columns to hide the front tower speakers but when put into sketchup I don't quite like the look. My builder wants to drywall the entire thing and then recess the speakers. I hate this idea. Does anyone have ANY ideas that would look nice without costing thousands? Even if it is a link to give me an idea to set me on the right path would be appreciated. Clock is ticking. I've come up with so many ideas, but nothing looks quite right.

Here is the blank canvas.

Here is a quick sketch of what the builder wants to do.
I'm assuming surrounding a speaker with drywall is a big no no for sound quality?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-06-2012, 04:18 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Triple big NO NO. Also if you plan on having your theater for a long time don't put your screen in a cubby as it will limit future upgrades, I would consider what you don't want. A fabric false wall but make it a contemporary design rather than traditional. Imagine the front wall all that is fixed is the screen the rest of the wall can be any shapes and colors of fabric you want.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-06-2012, 04:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Do not put your speakers in cubbies ... geeze...they'd sound like you left them in the shipping boxes.

You do not want your screen recessed like that. Big is right on about future upgrades; but, you have larger problems when you do that. The sides of that screen cubby will reflect light from the screen. While it may give you an opportunity to see five copies of your picture, it will also destroy your contrast ratio.

One additional thought ... with two rows of seating, you really don't want that center channel speaker below the screen and the L/R speakers sitting on the floor (contemporary or not).

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #4 of 4 Old 12-07-2012, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the advice. I decided to leave the room as is which will be the first picture for now.
I will start my theater build when we get into the house and situated.
I have already purchased the speakers (Focal 716Vs with Focal CC700 Center). I chose these speakers after demoing every speaker I could find. I received my Panasonic AE8000 today as well as my HSU VTF-15H sub! The builder does want to do the risers for me as he will have to install power outlets for the theater chairs. Without an AT screen I'm not sure what else I'd do for the center other than have it mounted below the screen. I can't really bring the screen out anymore from the wall as there will be a popcorn/snack bar at the end of the room and the viewing distance would be too close for my taste.
A very gracious local forum member said he'd help me a bit with the work. I am planning on blacking out the front wall with GOM or similar fire rated fabric after a bit more research on materials.
The front speakers will be raised behind the fabric wall and am planning on a motorized curtain (space permitting) to be used for both aesthetics and as a masking system when viewing 16:9 or 4:3.
I will also build some columns with hidden storage. My wife has decided on a medium gray paint for the walls with dark trim since I'm damn near colorblind I'm not allowed to pick them smile.gif

Quick & Dirty mock up. Question, if I black out the wall with fabric should I still paint that wall flat black or just leave it the medium gray?

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page