New Small Home Theater Room 9x11 - 80% done - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-07-2012, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Everyone,

I have just entered into Home Ownership for the first time and I got lucky. We happen to have a spare small ""bed room"" available to do with as I please (thanks to my wife).

It's a 9x11 room and I have mapped out what I think will be the best set-up for the area and put it in microsoft paint. I did have one Major concern though, cooling for my equipment. I'm not going to have that much equipment but I'm still concerned.

I will be putting all of the equipment in a closet that has no ventilation (that I remember). I close on the house in 3 weeks but I can get some pictures out on this forum soon of the room. The closest will only have my receiver (5.1 setup), my xbox 360, ps3, wii U and that's it. There wont be much in there to over heat and, as you could probably already guess, only one system will be on at a time. Do I need to worry about overheating? Thanks in advance for the advice, also I posted a pic or two below of my design ideas. Any tips or suggestions are appreciated.

The windows are going to have darkness blankets stapled over them, a couple of layers should ensure that no light gets in. The Front and back of the room will have red theater curtains hung to hide the closet and the windows (make things look nice).

And the last window on the right side of the room, I will either cover with a DYI sound panel or one of my nice wooden theater posters.

Ideas, suggestions, tips, anything would be helpful.

Thank you all very much in advance.

EDIT:: The room has a ceiling fan and I live in a very cool area of the north west and our summers dont get that hot either. As a nice bonus, the room already has a IR light dimmer installed biggrin.gif

EDIT 2:: The closet that the equipment is going in is fairly large as far as closets are concerned. My wife, brother, and I can stand in it next to each other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 05:23 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Your closet will get warm, too hot maybe. One potential fix is to install a silent bathroom exhaust in the ceiling running the duct to an approved location which does not include the attic.

I would center the screen and the seating in the room.

What are you planning for speakers, projector and screen?
Talimore likes this.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
You've got minimal equipment, and you'll probably never have them all running at the same time...I doubt you'd ever have a catastrophic melt down, but heat is your enemy especially over time.

A simple fix would be to put a cold air return type vent above the closet door and make sure there is a gap under the door. The natural convection should keep things cool enough with that you are running...the safest solution would be to do what Big said and add a powered vent that you could vent into an attic space or somewhere it won't hurt to have the extra heat.

I have all my equipment in a "closet" but I actually removed the door and built a rack to fit into the door frame, so the entire thing isn't enclosed and I've not had any issues with heat.
Talimore likes this.

Shades of Grey Theater

Live: Hero of Cannton 

Currently Playing: CoD Black Ops II

Old 12-07-2012, 10:28 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I would proceed as if heat will not be a problem. If you discover it is a problem you can go crawling in the attic an install some kind of exhaust just don't vent directly to the attic unless you can handle the formation of ice under the roof during the winter.
Talimore likes this.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

see next post, sorry about dbl post.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What are you planning for speakers, projector and screen?

For equipment:

Screen: Im not sure, I want to save money but I want something nicer then DIY. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I was also thinking of building a very SMALL false wall, and I say small because the door is close to the wall where the window is and the screen would go. The false wall would be big enough to hide the speakers behind it though and make a nice looking room.

I could also switch it so the couch goes next to the door and build a false wall on the other side where the closet it. There is a cold air return on the floor of that area and the false wall could hide the equipment but also keep it in the main room where the AC would be run ect.

For Speakers, I need advice because the set I have been eyeballing JUST WENT ON SALE FOR 50% OFF OR MORE!!!!

The set normally comes to ~1500 for two front floor standing, center channel, subwoffer, and two back bookshelf style speakers. But with the sale it would be 600$. Below are links to the set:

Sub: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290034
Front: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290206
Back: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290202
Center: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290212

PLEASE TELL ME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE IF YOU THINK THOSE ARE OK. I did some research and they look pretty sound to me (no pun intended). The room wont be worked on till I close on the house in a few weeks but I can always buy these and store them till now.

For projector I was going to go with the Acer HD6500. Its 1920x1080 and has 1080p and wont break my bank account. BUT I also need advice here, I like 3d and I have a PASSIVE 3d tv from LG that I have, over time, bought almost every 3d movie on blu ray. Would hate to see those go to waste but if I cant get a nice 3d system for cheap then forget it because I hate active 3d.

Quote:
I have all my equipment in a "closet" but I actually removed the door and built a rack to fit into the door frame, so the entire thing isn't enclosed and I've not had any issues with heat.

I could always take off the closet door because the theater curtain, although mainly for good looks, will also reduce noise and allow a lot more airflow into the closet.

EDIT:: What is a good receiver for those speakers, that is something I know NOTHING about lol.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I have the Polk Monitor series and like them a lot. I would skip the PSW10 sub though. It doesn't dig deep enough for home theater. Take a look at the PSW505 if you want a Polk sub. I've also heard good things about the Bic F12 as a budget subwoofer. I personally use an Energy S10.3.

Good luck on the build! I also worked on a small space and absolutely love it.
Talimore likes this.

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

Old 12-07-2012, 06:04 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

If you go with an acoustically transparent screen, and a false wall then consider getting three matching front speakers rather than that center channel offering.

To save money on an AT screen a lot of guys have gotten a Jamestown frame and added the SeymourAV center stage fabric.
Talimore likes this.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

You seem pretty open ended as far as equipment goes...would you mind giving us a budget for AV equipment? There are lots of options out there, if we know what you are willing to spend we can suggest much easier.

If you like the Polk speakers, I'm with aaustin, skip the sub. That sub will be underwhelming for HT use. Save your pennies and look elsewhere for sub solution. Nothing says HT more than nice low clean (loud) bass.

Onkyo makes really good value for dollar receivers...at least that's good place to start.
Talimore likes this.

Shades of Grey Theater

Old 12-07-2012, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by premiertrussman View Post

You seem pretty open ended as far as equipment goes...would you mind giving us a budget for AV equipment? There are lots of options out there, if we know what you are willing to spend we can suggest much easier.
If you like the Polk speakers, I'm with aaustin, skip the sub. That sub will be underwhelming for HT use. Save your pennies and look elsewhere for sub solution. Nothing says HT more than nice low clean (loud) bass.
Onkyo makes really good value for dollar receivers...at least that's good place to start.

The sub is only 100, are there better options for that price? I do like the polk speakers but Im not brand loyal to them by any means. I agree with your comment about needing a nice base.

A budget... well I could spend more but I really want to save some cash here, I mean its just past Christmas and I just bought a home, so the best thing for me now is to save money. The deal on the Polks is incredible in my opinion, unless I'm wrong but they are 40-60% off.

For speakers, Im thinking 600-1000 but the lower the better.
For the receiver, well I see some decent ones out there for a low price so around 300 but also lower the better.
Projector, I like the acer one and it cost 750, i think, so somewhere around that price. I want 1080p though, wont compromise on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

If you go with an acoustically transparent screen, and a false wall then consider getting three matching front speakers rather than that center channel offering.
To save money on anAT screen a lot of guys have gotten a Jamestown frame and added the SeymourAV center stage fabric.

The false wall is a maybe just because I'm not sure if there is space. I want one but really, there is JUST ENOUGH room to put the speakers behind it. They would basically be touching the wall almost and the false wall almost. Maybe a few cm in-between them.

Your saying I should get three floor speakers for the front, rather then the 2 front and a smaller center?

Also the screen you recommended, that's a DIY kind of thing I presume.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Also, where can I get good speaker wire, I like the "banna plug" wires just because they are easy to set up and I suck at stripping wire. I can solder and build custom PCPs no problem but stripping a wire I always f**k up biggrin.gif

EDIT: How are the polk speakers though, are they worth the price? And whats a reasonable sub instead of that polk one for around the same price?

Also, I would like to say thank you again to all of you for your help!

I found a receiver for 230 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120195

Also found a sub for 300: Klipsch Reference RW-12d 12" Powered Subwoofer its on a HUGE sale. Tell me what you think
Old 12-11-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talimore View Post

Also, where can I get good speaker wire, I like the "banna plug" wires just because they are easy to set up and I suck at stripping wire. I can solder and build custom PCPs no problem but stripping a wire I always f**k up biggrin.gif
EDIT: How are the polk speakers though, are they worth the price? And whats a reasonable sub instead of that polk one for around the same price?
Also, I would like to say thank you again to all of you for your help!
I found a receiver for 230 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120195
Also found a sub for 300: Klipsch Reference RW-12d 12" Powered Subwoofer its on a HUGE sale. Tell me what you think

I really like monoprice.com for my interconnect needs. They've got good deals on plenty of other stuff there as well. I bought all my cables, wires there, plus an HDMI switch, and wall mount.

If you are only looking to spend 100 bucks for a sub, then yeah probably just get the matching Polk. I was suggesting for HT use, bite the bullet and spend a bit more. A lot of people can't hear the difference between a 100 dollar speaker and a 1000 dollar speaker, but almost everyone notices the difference between weak and bone crunching bass. wink.gif

How are your wood working skills? If you've got the tools and the talent, on a budget, i doubt you could do better than a set of plans from Bill over at billfitzmaurice.com You could look at the Table Tuba or if you've got the room the THT

If you aren't up for DIY subs, in my opinion, you will be much happier for something like the Klipsch for the sub vs. that polk sub. I know its a 200 dollar difference, but personally low end impact is really important to me in HT. And you're looking at a 12" driver with 340w of power vs, a 10" sub with 100w of power. 300 bucks is a steel for the Klipsch IMO.

Looking at projectors, you might look at a second hand Panasonic AE2000u. I just saw one in the classifieds for 900. They are only a couple years old but the new AE8000 is out, so you might find folks selling of their old ones to upgrade...If i had the money i would have already bought that one. wink.gif

Like Big said, I really like the screen wall approach with an AT (acoustically transparent) screen. If you've got tools and know how you can build a great looking setup for cheap. Check out my signature for my build, screen wall is on page 33 or something, but i was on a super budget and managed what i think is a pretty nice looking product.

What Big was explaining about the 3 identical speakers across the front, vs the traditional 2 mains and the vertical center is...deep breath...Is having three identical speakers is ideal for the soundstage. Speakers are oriented vertically for a whole bunch of complicated reasons, BUT due to the size of floor standing speakers, center channels have been developed horizontally, strictly because most people dont want to have to mount their video displays far enough up to clear the height of a large floor standing speaker and its as simple as that. They aren't smaller and horizontal because its better, but because it was pretty much essential.

SO how do you get around this problem? You build a false wall with an AT screen. With your speakers behind the screen you can use 3 identical speakers across the front. With the added bonus that your sound is coming from directly behind the screen vs. off to the sides and below traditionally.

Big is THE authority on the minimalist screen wall design BTW.

Shades of Grey Theater

Old 12-11-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I just looked at your plan again, and I think you'll run into issues with a false wall design. If i read your plan correctly your door is just to the left of your screen? Depending on how much room you have between the corner and the door, you probably wont have room for one on that side. And if you flipped the room, if you are putting the AV equipment in the closet, then your AV stuff would be behind the false wall...which would work if you had an RF system...minus it would be a huge pain switching out things like DVD's etc, plus you'd have to black out all the lights so they didnt show through.

If you can't go with the AT screen its really not a huge deal, you'll still be more than pleased with a standard setup. BTW, i bought a PJ and Screen Combo package from visualapex.com for my brother and was really pleased with it. The screen was great for the price and was super simple to put together.

Shades of Grey Theater

Old 12-11-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Also...budget Sub Sticky.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1364182/list-of-budget-subwoofers-300-and-less

Worth a look if you want to shop.

Shades of Grey Theater

Old 12-11-2012, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I just looked at your plan again, and I think you'll run into issues with a false wall design. If i read your plan correctly your door is just to the left of your screen? Depending on how much room you have between the corner and the door, you probably wont have room for one on that side. And if you flipped the room, if you are putting the AV equipment in the closet, then your AV stuff would be behind the false wall...which would work if you had an RF system...minus it would be a huge pain switching out things like DVD's etc, plus you'd have to black out all the lights so they didnt show through.

If you can't go with the AT screen its really not a huge deal, you'll still be more than pleased with a standard setup. BTW, i bought a PJ and Screen Combo package from visualapex.com for my brother and was really pleased with it. The screen was great for the price and was super simple to put together.

Ok, I will have enough room for the false wall but the speakers will be awful close to the back wall. If thats ok then Ill do it.

Here is my setup and the coupons expire in like 2 days, so please tell me if this is all ok. I will be getting all of this for just over 1k. (1050 or something)

ONKYO TX-NR515 7.2-Channel Receiver (good sale only 300 and if I build bigger in the future this gives me a little future proof)
Polk Audio Monitor40 Series II Two-Way Bookshelf Loudspeaker (on sale for 100)
Polk Audio Monitor60 Series II Floorstanding Loudspeaker (on sale for 100 but getting 3 of them so 300)
Klipsch Reference RW-12d 12" (300)

ALL THESE SALES END REALLY SOON THOUGH, so please tell me if this is an ok set up and will produce nice sound. Also, my closing date isnt for 3-4 weeks but Im going back to the house to take photos in a week or two to give a better idea of the room.

Thanks for all the posts everyone! They are really helpful!
Old 12-11-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, I will have enough room for the false wall but the speakers will be awful close to the back wall. If thats ok then Ill do it.
Here is my setup and the coupons expire in like 2 days, so please tell me if this is all ok. I will be getting all of this for just over 1k. (1050 or something)
ONKYO TX-NR515 7.2-Channel Receiver (good sale only 300 and if I build bigger in the future this gives me a little future proof)
Polk Audio Monitor40 Series II Two-Way Bookshelf Loudspeaker (on sale for 100)
Polk Audio Monitor60 Series II Floorstanding Loudspeaker (on sale for 100 but getting 3 of them so 300)
Klipsch Reference RW-12d 12" (300)
ALL THESE SALES END REALLY SOON THOUGH, so please tell me if this is an ok set up and will produce nice sound. Also, my closing date isnt for 3-4 weeks but Im going back to the house to take photos in a week or two to give a better idea of the room.
Thanks for all the posts everyone! They are really helpful!

Having your speakers very close to the false wall and the back wall are not "ideal" but if that is the route you'd like to you its definitely do able. My setup is like that and its fine.

If there is ANY doubt in your mind that you won't be able to make the AT screen and false wall work, I'd go a head and get the regular center channel "Just in case", infact i may lean that direction anyway. Identical LCR's, again falls into the "ideal" category, and you are already working with a non ideal situation....so maybe the "safer" bet is the regular center. If you ever ditch the AT screen, or upgrade speakers and use these for another setup, with flat panel TV the horizontal center will be more flexible. Its really up to you though and doing whatever you are most comfortable with.

Other than those considerations, I think you'd be hardpressed to find better bang for buck in the new category. That Klipsch sub is a GREAT deal. You'll be super happy with it.

Shades of Grey Theater

Old 12-11-2012, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Having your speakers very close to the false wall and the back wall are not "ideal" but if that is the route you'd like to you its definitely do able. My setup is like that and its fine.
If there is ANY doubt in your mind that you won't be able to make the AT screen and false wall work, I'd go a head and get the regular center channel "Just in case", infact i may lean that direction anyway. Identical LCR's, again falls into the "ideal" category, and you are already working with a non ideal situation....so maybe the "safer" bet is the regular center. If you ever ditch the AT screen, or upgrade speakers and use these for another setup, with flat panel TV the center will be more flexible.
Other than those considerations, I think you'd be hardpressed to find better bang for buck in the new category. That Klipsch sub is a GREAT deal. You'll be super happy with it.

I actually read your build log before (weeks ago) and after looking at it again, the distance between my wall and door are the same as they are for you. So I think I'm good!

Im going to order those speakers tomorrow, what about the receiver? Is that any good? I'm also looking into projectors and I might be able to spend a little more on the build then I thought. I was hoping 2k for the whole build (speakers, projector, receiver, maybe an extra 100-200 for construction) but I just sold an old PC of mine that freed up another 400-500 that I might dump into the projector. Any thoughts?
Old 12-11-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I actually read your build log before (weeks ago) and after looking at it again, the distance between my wall and door are the same as they are for you. So I think I'm good!
Im going to order those speakers tomorrow, what about the receiver? Is that any good? I'm also looking into projectors and I might be able to spend a little more on the build then I thought. I was hoping 2k for the whole build (speakers, projector, receiver, maybe an extra 100-200 for construction) but I just sold an old PC of mine that freed up another 400-500 that I might dump into the projector. Any thoughts?

Onkyo is a solid company. You can get really lost in all the details, but with your setup, getting into the nitty gritty, really isnt as important as just pure functionality of the AVR (audio video receiver).

That Onkyo has plenty of HDMI inputs, a nice 1080 on screen menu display, Audyssey 2EQ room calibration, network connectivity....etc. Without doing tons of research myself I'd say that's a good buy, especially at 300 bucks and a good pair to the speakers you are buying.

As far as projectors go, I'm out of the game. They've changed so fast over the last year, I'm not sure whats available at what price. Along those lines, I keep meaning to ask you...are you planning on just doing a 16:9 screen or a scope 2.35 screen?

Or did i lose you there? wink.gif

Also dont forget to budget for your screen material. Depending on the size figure at least a couple hundred dollars.

seymourav.com is the one of the favorites around here and who i was going to go with until i ran out of money. Its about $22 per lnf

Shades of Grey Theater

Old 12-11-2012, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Onkyo is a solid company. You can get really lost in all the details, but with your setup, getting into the nitty gritty, really isnt as important as just pure functionality of the AVR (audio video receiver).
That Onkyo has plenty of HDMI inputs, a nice 1080 on screen menu display, Audyssey 2EQ room calibration, network connectivity....etc. Without doing tons of research myself I'd say that's a good buy, especially at 300 bucks and a good pair to the speakers you are buying.
As far as projectors go, I'm out of the game. They've changed so fast over the last year, I'm not sure whats available at what price. Along those lines, I keep meaning to ask you...are you planning on just doing a 16:9 screen or a scope 2.35 screen?
Or did i lose you there? wink.gif

Thankfully you didnt lose me. Im just worrued that my room would be to small to pull of a 2.35 screen. Would the projector be able to produce that with only a 11 foot length? If so, i would totally like to try and achieve it. There are clwar asvantages to it.

Sorry for the spelling errors posting this one from my phone and its fighting me lol. going into a meeting be back in 3hours to post again. hopefullu you chwck back because you have been incredibly helpfull. thank you
Old 12-11-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thankfully you didnt lose me. Im just worrued that my room would be to small to pull of a 2.35 screen. Would the projector be able to produce that with only a 11 foot length? If so, i would totally like to try and achieve it. There are clwar asvantages to it.
Sorry for the spelling errors posting this one from my phone and its fighting me lol. going into a meeting be back in 3hours to post again. hopefullu you chwck back because you have been incredibly helpfull. thank you

Ah yeah...only 9' wide...I forgot.

Here is any easy to use size calculator. With 11' depth, minus screen wall, minus the back of your seating, I'm guessing you eyeball to screen will be somewhere around 8-9 feet? Which is similar to my first row of seating, at 16:9 my screen is 96" which is just about right for me at that distance and at 2.35 that screen is 120"....which is 110" wide, which would be wider than your room...

If you went with the widest 2.35 screen you could fit, I figured only leaving 6 inches of clearance on either side, you'd have a 104" 2.35 screen, which translates into an 83" 16:9 screen...which for my taste might be a tad small...So you need to ask yourself what will your main video media be?

HDTV, Counsel gaming? Only movies? I'd probably lean towards a larger 16:9 screen in this case, but again...its all relative. If you knew you were only going to be watching 2.35 movies 95% of the time...might be worth going that route, I know it give me the giggles pulling those masking panels off.

Shades of Grey Theater

Old 12-11-2012, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ah yeah...only 9' wide...I forgot.
Here is any easy to use size calculator. With 11' depth, minus screen wall, minus the back of your seating, I'm guessing you eyeball to screen will be somewhere around 8-9 feet? Which is similar to my first row of seating, at 16:9 my screen is 96" which is just about right for me at that distance and at 2.35 that screen is 120"....which is 110" wide, which would be wider than your room...
If you went with the widest 2.35 screen you could fit, I figured only leaving 6 inches of clearance on either side, you'd have a 104" 2.35 screen, which translates into an 83" 16:9 screen...which for my taste might be a tad small...So you need to ask yourself what will your main video media be?
HDTV, Counsel gaming? Only movies? I'd probably lean towards a larger 16:9 screen in this case, but again...its all relative. If you knew you were only going to be watching 2.35 movies 95% of the time...might be worth going that route, I know it give me the giggles pulling those masking panels off.

Yes that is what I'll be doing a lot of the time but like you said, that feeling of 2.35 is just out of this world. Can't I have have my cake and eat it to? See picture below:

Make a large screen that is odd in shape. Then just cover each section as I need to? Or is this just a crazy dreamers dream?
Old 12-12-2012, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Ignore my last post actually, I need to find a projector that can display a really big image 16:9 with a good throw distance. At best we have 11 feet work with, realistically were looking at a little less because of a possible false wall ect. I wanted to get something at 100 or 110 if I went 16:9 but I dont know if thats possible with the throw distance at 11 feet.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ignore my last post actually, I need to find a projector that can display a really big image 16:9 with a good throw distance. At best we have 11 feet work with, realistically were looking at a little less because of a possible false wall ect. I wanted to get something at 100 or 110 if I went 16:9 but I dont know if thats possible with the throw distance at 11 feet.

Projector Central has a great tool for checking just that thing.

And to tell you the truth...I really like your idea of the odd shaped screen. I kind of wish i would have thought of that. Kind of best of both worlds. If you were doing DIY screen with masking panels anyway.....wink.gif It would increase the difficulty of the screen build quite a bit though.

My suggestions to everyone that is really struggling with what to do with their screen is to just buy their projector and set it up. Just get some really cheap fabric and thumb tack it to the ceiling where your actual screen would be and watch some stuff on it...and live with it for a week or so. When you first set it up EVERYTHING is going to seem huge, but I promise after a few days it will start to "shrink" on you and you'll get used to it. If you had your PJ ahead of time you can then decide confidently in screen size and aspect ratio.

Just beware....you'll need to take the PJ down again...otherwise you'll never get any work done!

Shades of Grey Theater

Old 12-12-2012, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Projector Central has a great tool for checking just that thing.
And to tell you the truth...I really like your idea of the odd shaped screen. I kind of wish i would have thought of that. Kind of best of both worlds. If you were doing DIY screen with masking panels anyway.....wink.gif It would increase the difficulty of the screen build quite a bit though.
My suggestions to everyone that is really struggling with what to do with their screen is to just buy their projector and set it up. Just get some really cheap fabric and thumb tack it to the ceiling where your actual screen would be and watch some stuff on it...and live with it for a week or so. When you first set it up EVERYTHING is going to seem huge, but I promise after a few days it will start to "shrink" on you and you'll get used to it. If you had your PJ ahead of time you can then decide confidently in screen size and aspect ratio.
Just beware....you'll need to take the PJ down again...otherwise you'll never get any work done!

Im probably going to go with my cross shape screen lol cause im crazy!!!!

But I bought a ton of stuff today, even though its weeks before I can use it. They SOLD OUT OF THE FLOOR STANDING SPEAKERS I WANTED!!!! So I actually upgraded to the more expensive ones because they went on sale as the others sold out. It cost me more but I got better speakers ^_^

Here is what I got:

3 x ($199.99) Polk Audio Monitor70 Series II Floorstanding Loudspeaker (Black) Each $599.97
1 x ($499.99) Klipsch Reference RW-12d 12" Powered Subwoofer Each w/ New box $499.99
1 x ($349.99) ONKYO TX-NR515 7.2-Channel Network 3D Ready A/V Receiver $349.99
1 x ($149.99) Polk Audio Monitor40 Series II Two-Way Bookshelf Loudspeaker (Black) Pair $149.99
1 x ($-440.00) DISCOUNT FOR PROMOTION CODE $-440.00

Subtotal: $1159.94
Tax: $0.00
Shipping and Handling: $0.00
Total Amount: $1159.94
Old 12-12-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

All great buys!

You'll be infinitely more pleased with the klipsch sub vs the polk. Its like comparing a geo metro to a corvette. Good luck with your cross screen. I've never seen one before, should be interesting. Just something to think about, you'll need two sets of masking panels, and the top panels for masking down the 16:9 to 2.35 is going to need some way of staying in since it wont have anything to actually sit on.

Shades of Grey Theater

Old 12-13-2012, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter

I have one more option also:

Just make a large 110" ish 16:9 and use two panels that I can store above and below the screen (when not in use) and then just move them down when I desire the higher resolution of 2.35 .

I just need a lot of help finding a projector that cost around 800-900 that will give me both resolutions and will fit with only 11 foot distance from the screen but be able to project the full wall (I want the entire thing covered, which is around a 104" 2.35 as you mentioned.)

Now I put a lot of research into 2.35 but Im lacking some info on which movies support it. I have a ton of blu-rays I would love to watch in the format and dont I need an additional lens.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just make a large 110" ish 16:9 and use two panels that I can store above and below the screen (when not in use) and then just move them down when I desire the higher resolution of 2.35 .
I just need a lot of help finding a projector that cost around 800-900 that will give me both resolutions and will fit with only 11 foot distance from the screen but be able to project the full wall (I want the entire thing covered, which is around a 104" 2.35 as you mentioned.)
Now I put a lot of research into 2.35 but Im lacking some info on which movies support it. I have a ton of blu-rays I would love to watch in the format and dont I need an additional lens.

You do not need a lens to watch 2.35 material. When you see people using masking panels on the left and right sides (like in my theater) they have whats is called a CIH theater (constant image height). What that means is the height of your image never changes, only the width.

There are two ways of achieving CIH. I'll use my theater for example. My screen with the masking panels ON is 83" wide and and 47" tall (16:9 or 1.78:1) with the masking panels OFF its 110" wide and 47" tall (2.35:1) All of these numbers are approx. The way I do CIH is called the "poor mans CIH" or the "zoom method"

Lets say the projector is set to watch 16:9 I pop a movie in that is in 2.35 the projector plays the move just fine, but there are black bars (space with no picture) at the top and bottom of my screen, with the zoom method, its as simple as i remove the masking panels, and use the zoom feature on my projector to zoom the image in, until the black bars are being projected off of the screen. To make this work, you must make sure that your projector has sufficient zoom AND lens **** capabilities.

The major draw backs to this method are that you are increasing the pixel size by zooming in (which may or may not be an issue), and also you are "wasting" part of your projectors display by projecting "nothing" outside of the screen area, which is a potential loss of lumens.

The plus side, is its cheap and doesn't need a curved screen to avoid pincushioning. (more on that later)

The second method is the use of an anamorphic lens. In this case what happens, is a video processor stretches the 2.35 image to use the entire display chip (all projectors display chips are native 16:9) So the image makes everything look tall and skinny, and then you put an anamorphic lens in front of the projector that corrects the image so that it displays correctly at 2.35.

The disadvantages of this method are most notably cost. A good lens will cost more than what you've budgeted for your projector. And secondly using a lens like that can cause whats know as a pincushion effect. As shown here

The combat that, some folks will use a curved screen.

The advantages to this method are the ability to use the projectors entire display and its most generally agreed the best picture quality with this method. (not that the zoom method creates a poor image)

In my setup i have to manual zoom and shift my lens. A couple years ago Panasonic came out with a projector that can auto sense 2.35 images and "remember" your zoom and shift settings, and it will do them automatically for you.

imho, your situation the realistic options I see are

A: If you plan on watching MOSTLY (I mean like 90% or greater) 2.35 material Max out the largest 2.35 screen you can fit and just deal with having a smaller than you could have 16:9 screen when its masked down.
Advantages: True cinematic feel with the 2.35 screen.
Disavantages: You'll limit your projector options, not all projectors will have the zoom and shift capabilities you'll need to do this. With a DIY screen you'll be manually removing masking panels to switch between formats.

B: If you are going to watch equal to or more 16:9 stuff (EI HDTV, Counsel gaming ETC) Go with a slightly over sized 16:9 screen and like you said if you wish make masking panels for your screen.
Advantages: Lots of projector options, almost any projector should work, Simplicity. Literally point and shoot. One setup focus in and you're done.
Disadvantages: A smaller 2.35 image than whats possible. You lose some of the cinematic "feel"

Again, if its at all possible to buy your PJ and make a temporary setup, that's ideal. Then you can make your decision confidently.

Hope I helped more than confused!

Shades of Grey Theater

Old 12-13-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

BTW, you may have trouble trying to get 110" screen with such a short throw distance. But a couple projectors that come to mind to look at in your price range are the Optoma HD20 and maybe a refurbished Epson 8500UB. Also look around for a second hand Panny AE-2000u. I'm seeing those for right around 900 dollars, and that's a really solid projector.

Shades of Grey Theater

Old 12-13-2012, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

BTW, you may have trouble trying to get 110" screen with such a short throw distance. But a couple projectors that come to mind to look at in your price range are the Optoma HD20 and maybe a refurbished Epson 8500UB. Also look around for a second hand Panny AE-2000u. I'm seeing those for right around 900 dollars, and that's a really solid projector.

Wjat about the viewsonic pro8200. It has a 1.5 zoom which will help. Its also 1080p . And I wasn't sure by what you said if I can or cant use the masking method I explained. I would have to adjust view height when needed.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wjat about the viewsonic pro8200. It has a 1.5 zoom which will help. Its also 1080p . And I wasn't sure by what you said if I can or cant use the masking method I explained. I would have to adjust view height when needed.

If I understood you correctly you were talking about using a 16:9 screen and making masking panels for the top and bottom? If thats so, yes you can do that, but its not necessary. If you build a 16:9 screen you wont be zooming or shifting the image, 2.35 movies will will just play like regular except with black bars top and bottom (just like on a regular flat panel TV) If you wish, you could mask those black bars if you wanted.

According to the projector calculator i linked earlier, with the viewsonic pro8200 you need to be 11' back and at full zoom to get 110" 16:9 screen. Realistically you are going to be looking at more like a 9' maximum throw distance with the width of the projector and your screen wall. To get anywhere near the size screen you want, you probably need to be looking for projector with a 2x zoom. I have a panny AX200U which is a very versitale PJ and it can't throw 110" from 9' either. Or just settle with a smaller screen. 110" is really big only sitting 9"ish" feet away.

I have about a 96" screen and from the front row (about 8.5 feet) it seems plenty big. Almost too big for gaming, but fine for TV and movies.

Shades of Grey Theater