Small Media Room - Early Phase - Need Advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 12-07-2012, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys, Girls, Audiophiles I need your help.

I recently purchased a modular home, with an unfinished basement. I have the frost walls and partitions up, i'm about to insulate and drywall, and before I do I thought I'd get some advice on my media room.
As you can see by the pictures, the walls are up, but not permanent (although I'd really rather not have to move them), I am handy, and very technically inclined, but definitely lacking in AV knowledge.

My goal is to use my projector for 50% movies, and 40% gaming, 10% sports (just hockey really). I download all my movies so I'm not sure how that may affect the audio codecs for things such as 3D movies and PC games. I currently do the majority of my gaming on PS3, my kids play a soft modded Wii, and I plan on getting back into PC gaming. I've built a 4 player arcade machine, which I'd also like to integrate somehow.

IMHO I believe sound is more important than image. I can watch grainy pictures (although i don't), but can not stand ******, muddy, asynchronous sound. It drives me crazy. So advice on a great, but affordable sound system is HUGE.

My current receiver and speakers are ****, and I plan on replacing them.
I have;
-Yamaha RX-V663 receiver
-Pure Acoustics QX900 speakers (2 towers, 2 bookshelf, 1 centre, 1 sub)

I've purchased a projector and screen, and hope not to replace them, but with strong advice, I suppose I could, they are;
-Optima HD33 Projector
-122" Manual Screen

The media area is 13'9" x 20'. The room is longer, but has a walk-out door at the back. One side wall has a large 6x5 window, the other is only 7'9", but could be extended (but would cut off the rest of a large rec-room area), to 'box' it in. The ceiling is 94.5" (just under 8').

I had originally intended on doing in-wall/in-ceiling speakers, but have chosen not to based on advice within this site. Wanted to mostly for aesthetics, but opted out for performance.

I have many questions, because it is an area I know little about.

Here they are, in no particular order;

-Before I close the walls, what should I run behind the drywall? Just speaker wire? Does it need to be 'in wall' speaker wire, or is that a scam? Do i bother with Ethernet, Cat5, etc.? Banana plugs or wire with openings in drywall? Arcade/PC gaming integration. Type of insulation.

-MOST IMPORTANT- Receiver and Speakers - I'd like to purchase both for about $1500, but am flexible. 5.1/5.2 vs 7.1/7.2? I realize this is a whole different and larger forum perhaps, but some direction would be greatly appreciated.

-Component placement. Can it be anywhere in the area? This concept is new to me, and I'm thrilled that it's possible. I hate mess, and would love to have a clean look (disregard what you see in the images, it's a work in progress, and drives me crazy).

I could go on, and depending on response I will, but this is more than enough to get me started.

TL;DR Building media room, need receiver/speaker advice, plus more

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page