The Budget yet Nice Theatre Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-08-2012, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Been doing a ton of reading, lots of info, lots of opinion, hard to determine what I can get away with an still have a good area.

So here are a couple of questions if some of you could please oblige:

I basically have a 21' by 21' area. Foundation Concrete is three of the 21' walls. Ceiling is 10'. Entire area is unfinished. Rest of basement will be general use.

For budgetary reasons, I am going for a "pretty damn good to a non-audiophile with two young kids that will be watching 50% sports/50% movies"?

1. On the three concrete walls, go insulation then 5/8" drywall, green glue, then another 5/8" drywall.
2. On the 4th wall, is it worth it to do the noiseproof clip process with the double drywall?
3. Ceiling, I was going to follow the same theory as #1 unless I really need to to go Clips/Drywall Furring Channel + Drywall + Green Glue + Drywall.
4. Note on #3, theatre room will be below non-living areas so ultimate soundproofing is not absolutely necessary.
5. I understand I need to use the right sealant and caulk an leave nothing open.
6. The basement as is with almost no insulation stays 65 constant (Northern Kentucky). I have a Geothermal system and the house stays around 66 constant year-round. Can I get away with just running one run of flex duct and a couple of registers. Side Note, my rack will have exhaust going back in to the unfinished part that has make-up air returns.
7. For a room that size, will the 2.35:1 setup be acceptable? I will be watching a lot of sports as well so I don't want to gear it only towards movies. Is there a projector spec that I should be looking at (don't care about 3d).

I really appreciate the answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-10-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
You'll save a lot of time, money and effort but not soundproofing. If you aren't worried about it, you can just use standard building practices. HOWEVER, if you EVER think noise will be an issue...either sound getting OUT or sound coming IN, plan on doing it now and doing it right. "Kind of" soundproofing is a waste of time, there are something you could skimp on, but mostly, its all or nothing.

As for the 2.35 vs 16:9, its all up to personal preference.

I watch mostly movies, so I wanted as large of a 2.35 screen as i could fit in my room (my room is smaller than yours) Due to seating distances and room size, my 2.35 size came out to about 120"...which put my 16:9 size at around 96". I'll admit, that when I'm playing xbox or watching TV I'd wish i had a "few" more inches on the 16:9 screen....That being said, every time I pull the panels off and zoom in (I have a poor mans CIH setup) for 2.35 I giggle like a school girl.

I guess in short what I'm saying is that in my opinion, unless you just never plan on watching any movies, in a room that size (assuming you're planning two rows of seating) I'd just go max 2.35 screen size.

Shades of Grey Theater

Live: Hero of Cannton 

Currently Playing: CoD Black Ops II

post #3 of 6 Old 12-10-2012, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks brother. Makes sense. I am going to do the invisible hangers+channel+5/8"+green glue+5/8" on all four walls plus the ceiling. It's not that huge of an incremental cost. Plus that way I never have to listen to the old lady to tell me to turn it down.

When you are at 16:9 for non-movies are you just covering up your extra screen with curtains/panels?
post #4 of 6 Old 12-10-2012, 11:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 52
Sounds like an awesome space to work with. Looking forward to the pics!

If you are 50/50 sports and movies that makes the choice a bit harder. I think, in that case, I would go with the largest 16:9 that will work for you, and use top/bottom masking to create your scope shape on screen. With the 50/50 point, that does make it a bit harder. What about video gaming, any of that in the theater?

Soundproofing needs to be all surfaces. That doesn't mean all need to be at the highest level, rather consistent, so you don't have an obvious weakness. Going for ultimate sound isolation is usually out of the budget for most people, so I wouldn't worry about that.

For your room's temp, if your basement is a constant temp you might be able to use air exchangers with the rest of your basement. You didn't state the actual room size inside the 21x21x10 area you are using. If you are using the majority of that you will have a large theater with enough seating for many adults. Those adults generate heat, so even though the basement is a constant 65, that sealed up room will get hot. One run likely won't cut it. You'll probably end up with two supplies and two returns.

Have fun!
post #5 of 6 Old 12-11-2012, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tqdean View Post

When you are at 16:9 for non-movies are you just covering up your extra screen with curtains/panels?

Yup!

This is obviously before it was done, and please excuse the horrible pictures but it gets the point across.

2.35 no panels

attachment.php?attachmentid=219688&stc=1&d=1312941120

with panels

attachment.php?attachmentid=219689&stc=1&d=1312941120

Here is a close up, the two panels just friction fit in place and pop right out for movies.

attachment.php?attachmentid=219694&stc=1&d=1312941852

Shades of Grey Theater

Live: Hero of Cannton 

Currently Playing: CoD Black Ops II

post #6 of 6 Old 12-11-2012, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I'll do a little more research on the aspect ratio, still have time.

I start framing this weekend, I will build the soffits out for 2 A/C runs and I already have return air in the room.

I'm using that whole space so better safe than sorry.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page