Faux Recessed Lighting - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-10-2012, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm slowly working on a dedicated theater in my basement and looking for a lighting scheme. There are no overhead lights in the room, and I don't have the money to rip up the ceiling to install them. Currently, I'm using a couple of floor lamps in the corners to light the room, but I'd much prefer overhead lighting. An idea I had was to use LED pucks attached to the ceiling. Does anyone know of some that are designed for this. Most I see are for under cabinets and wouldn't put out enough light. I'm also thinking of putting LED strips around the ceiling for ambient lighting. I was thinking I could use quarter round instead of crown molding to give it a lighter footprint. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-10-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 89
How would you power the pucks? If you're thinking of putting wires in the ceiling, cutting the hole for the can isn't a big deal. Drywall saws are CHEAP wink.gif

------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-10-2012, 09:47 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Installing can lights in an existing ceiling is easy with remodel cans. All you need to teach yourself is how to drill a few holes, fish wires and patch the holes. That would be code legal. Pucks on the ceiling would not be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:

post #4 of 4 Old 12-10-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was thinking there would be some solution for places where you can not modify ceilings, such as when renting. I'm not a renter, but the biggest electrical upgrade I've done is adding a single light in an unfinished room. There is one switched light in the hallway next to this room, but the rafters run against the direction I would need to wire, and there is an AC duct in the way too. I don't see how I could fish the wiring without cutting big holes to work around the rafters/duct. How much should I expect to pay a professional for such a job; say three recessed lights on each side?
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page