Where to Get a Sound Proof, Break-in Proof Door - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 44 Old 12-14-2012, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Maybe this could be an example. Supppose you where selling your house and didn't want anyone accessing your theater room.
A friend of mine built a Home Theater in his basements a couple of years ago and put his house up for sell. His theater room door was unlocked so people could look around but his equipment closet was locked. One very cool thing that he setup was a 20min demo of his Theater which was all automated. I think on the actual listing had Theater Demo times that was once in the evening and three times during the weekend. Everything came on and shutoff by itself without him being there. Even the realator didn't have to do anything.
elmalloc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 12-14-2012, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by scipper77 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Actually the best money spent is a noisy dog, or one that likes to lie in wait. That along with nosy neighbors to keep an eye. on things.
I am sorry, but any crackhead looking to grab and run, is not going to be carrying a sawz-all, let alone case the place out long enough to say "hey lets take all of the av equipment, and leave the rest".

I'd say that many crack heads work in the trades and would have more tools than you or me. And many will have a sawz-all. Being addicted to drugs doesn't mean you can't think ahead and plan out ways to do things. Quite the opposite, that addiction makes for some pretty good motivation to put your energy towards figuring out how to be a better thief. Just my opinion, not saying you are wrong.
Those are the type that go for A/C & Heat pump units, not worrying about what is inside the home.
post #33 of 44 Old 12-14-2012, 10:03 AM

Liked: 32
Atren, if a thief finds a locked heavy duty door inside the home, that means there must be something important behind it, so it gives them more determination to find out what is behind it. You are over thinking this way out of proportion. BTW, a locked window or door is only there to keep honest people out.

Thieves are on going to go through a wall at say a strip mall to get into a store, such as a jewelry store, or pawn shop that they know has a large stash of cash. They are not going to walk into a home and say "Hey, they must have a lot of good stereo equipment in here."
post #34 of 44 Old 12-17-2012, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Atren, if a thief finds a locked heavy duty door inside the home, that means there must be something important behind it, so it gives them more determination to find out what is behind it. You are over thinking this way out of proportion. BTW, a locked window or door is only there to keep honest people out.
Thieves are on going to go through a wall at say a strip mall to get into a store, such as a jewelry store, or pawn shop that they know has a large stash of cash. They are not going to walk into a home and say "Hey, they must have a lot of good stereo equipment in here."

Usually the thief would be someone that already knows what you have available, not some random stranger! But its true if someone wants to get something or get in something bad enough it is very tough to lock it down so they cant get it... unless the house / room is designed for it.

I don't know if I need a bullet proof door but something that would be sturdy enough to at least deter a break in. Minus well make it sound absorptive at the same time. Ill post pics when I have my solution
post #35 of 44 Old 12-17-2012, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT_SoulMan View Post

Maybe this could be an example. Supppose you where selling your house and didn't want anyone accessing your theater room.
A friend of mine built a Home Theater in his basements a couple of years ago and put his house up for sell. His theater room door was unlocked so people could look around but his equipment closet was locked. One very cool thing that he setup was a 20min demo of his Theater which was all automated. I think on the actual listing had Theater Demo times that was once in the evening and three times during the weekend. Everything came on and shutoff by itself without him being there. Even the realator didn't have to do anything.

Thats an interesting point. When your selling your house is likely when you’re most vulnerable, many people you don’t know see what you have. I do look at my theater when complete as a selling point for me down the road. Hopefully at this point I will have a decent security solution.
post #36 of 44 Old 12-17-2012, 06:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Please....break into my house and steal the stuff in the theater. You'll have to by-pass the security system (with cellular back-up) and not start a fire because that is part of the security system; but, come on in and do your thing. Not a good idea to try this when I am home...a .50 cal impact on you isn't pretty.

My insurance agent will not be happy (I'm covered for replacement cost, not depreciated value); but, I'll get a nice equipment upgrade.

(I think there is a point in this somewhere.)

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #37 of 44 Old 12-19-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atren View Post

Thats an interesting point. When your selling your house is likely when you’re most vulnerable, many people you don’t know see what you have. I do look at my theater when complete as a selling point for me down the road. Hopefully at this point I will have a decent security solution.

One of the main points why I'm building my HT is due to the value it will add. My buddy sold his house when the housing market was shot to hell and it sold due to a two week bidding war. But he still should have waited..

Dennis.. I agree. If you bypass the exterior and cross the threshold your ass is mine...
post #38 of 44 Old 01-06-2013, 09:25 AM

Liked: 10
I would order a solid core door with weatherstripping and put a proper lock and deadbolt on it. When installing the door reinforce the door jamb and studs on the sides with some sort of metal strapping. The weatherstripping helps with soundproofing. I would also tack some sound board to the inside of the door. I am building out 5 soundproof rehearsal spaces that need to be quiet and secure, so I have researched this a bit. I am also installing security cameras to see just who it was that might have caused problems if something is stolen.
post #39 of 44 Old 01-06-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 78
A quality exterior alarm gives the thieves little time to get through the reinforced interior theater door, the secured alarm enclosure, or the secured rack.

If its really a panic room, I'd hire a pro, for consultation.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #40 of 44 Old 01-06-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT_SoulMan View Post

One of the main points why I'm building my HT is due to the value it will add. My buddy sold his house when the housing market was shot to hell and it sold due to a two week bidding war. But he still should have waited..
Dennis.. I agree. If you bypass the exterior and cross the threshold your ass is mine...

It's unclear whether a HT will add value to your house. I would say many people wouldn't buy your house or would want the price lower if you had a dedicated HT. Personally, unless you did exactly what I would do, I'd have to consider tearing everything out, so your house would go low on my list. Even if you did exactly what I would do, a HT room is a single purpose room. I simply don't watch enough movies or TV to justify the expense.

Even for my "regular" redo of a family room, I'm afraid people won't like it. A light controller with four zones and operable by remote is cool...to me. To 99.99999 % of the population, they have no idea how to program a remote and with think such a light controller is evil. The fact that all equipment is in one central location and all the LEDs for the equipment are behind you is cool...to me. To others who don't have and could never fathom buying an RF remote, it's a pain in the butt. Seven channel sound is great...to me. To many, many other people, it's 5 more channels than are necessary.

Bob
post #41 of 44 Old 01-06-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

It's unclear whether a HT will add value to your house. I would say many people wouldn't buy your house or would want the price lower if you had a dedicated HT. Personally, unless you did exactly what I would do, I'd have to consider tearing everything out, so your house would go low on my list. Even if you did exactly what I would do, a HT room is a single purpose room. I simply don't watch enough movies or TV to justify the expense.
Even for my "regular" redo of a family room, I'm afraid people won't like it. A light controller with four zones and operable by remote is cool...to me. To 99.99999 % of the population, they have no idea how to program a remote and with think such a light controller is evil. The fact that all equipment is in one central location and all the LEDs for the equipment are behind you is cool...to me. To others who don't have and could never fathom buying an RF remote, it's a pain in the butt. Seven channel sound is great...to me. To many, many other people, it's 5 more channels than are necessary.

From a Man Cave, family movie night or just entertaining family/friends I would disagree. If done correclty, the value and or sale of the house would produce a increase in value/profit. Are we building a deck or remodling a kitchen.. no, but keeping the kids Xbox Games in a sound proof room has its own value..
post #42 of 44 Old 01-07-2013, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexaudiostudio View Post

I would order a solid core door with weatherstripping and put a proper lock and deadbolt on it. When installing the door reinforce the door jamb and studs on the sides with some sort of metal strapping. The weatherstripping helps with soundproofing. I would also tack some sound board to the inside of the door. I am building out 5 soundproof rehearsal spaces that need to be quiet and secure, so I have researched this a bit. I am also installing security cameras to see just who it was that might have caused problems if something is stolen.

Thanks Apex good insight. Ill tkae these considerations
post #43 of 44 Old 01-07-2013, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

A quality exterior alarm gives the thieves little time to get through the reinforced interior theater door, the secured alarm enclosure, or the secured rack.
If its really a panic room, I'd hire a pro, for consultation.

Neurorad, you make a valid point. If there is a good exterior alarm a thief wont want to stick around to long. A difinite consideration.
post #44 of 44 Old 01-08-2013, 09:04 PM

Liked: 10
check some steel doors here
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page