Where to Get a Sound Proof, Break-in Proof Door - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 44 Old 12-13-2012, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all,

I'm sure there have been several threads on this topic but haven’t found any specifically for what im looking for. please post links if you know of them.

My theater is decently sound proofed and I notice most of the sound that does escape comes from the door way. I'd like to address this issue. But the real reason I am looking to upgrade my door is for security. I have invested a lot of time and money into the theater and would like to make it break in proof.

Just the other day my wife’s friend’s house was broken into just 6 miles from my house. I would like to prevent this situation before too many people know about my setup. Funny thing is these break-ins usually occur from a friend or acquaintance that has been in your house before and scoped your gear. We tend to entertain often and in some occasions people I dont know too well come over!

I have found some solutions for a hollow steel door that look great at an online site. This specific door was suitable for a detention facility or a jail but I think this is a bit over kill. The site asks for your budget when looking for a quote and the minimum range was $1000 to $2000... yipes! Any suggestions for a cheaper solution? I'm relatively handy and would consider building something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 12-13-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

I'd like to buy a bump.
post #3 of 44 Old 12-13-2012, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Wouldn't it be more practical to put the, "break-in" proof effort at the doors coming into the house (front, back.. etc)?.. Not trying to be rude...

Alot of people use solid core doors for sound proofing purposes. For example, mine weighs a little over 100lbs.
post #4 of 44 Old 12-13-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT_SoulMan View Post

Wouldn't it be more practical to put the, "break-in" proof effort at the doors coming into the house (front, back.. etc)?.. Not trying to be rude...
Alot of people use solid core doors for sound proofing purposes. For example, mine weighs a little over 100lbs.

Homes have multiple entry points, doors, windows, garage, etc...his theater probably is in the basement with a single entry point, therefore a break-in proof door would provide total security for his expensive gear, assuming someone doesn't come down with a sledge hammer and go through a wall.

Sorry I don't know the first thing about break-in proof doors. I'd imagine it has more to do with the door framing than the door itself.

I did find this

ArmorConcepts

Looks like some sort of jamb reinforcement...assuming you could make it work with traditional soundproof door framing practices, it might work for you.

Shades of Grey Theater

Live: Hero of Cannton 

Currently Playing: CoD Black Ops II

post #5 of 44 Old 12-13-2012, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Exactly Premiertrussman!!! My Theater is in the basement and there is only one window I need to lock down after I secure the door up to the rest of the house. I mean dont get me wrong I also want to lock down the rest of the house but windows are a lot easier to break than a stone wall into the basement. Not too mention between my wood shop theater and computer room in the basement that is where all my valuables are located.

For the one basement window I was thinking of making a steel bar system on a servo system that you can raise or lower when you leave the house, or for a zombie invasion. I mean lets face it no one wants to look at bars on your windows so it would be cool if it retracted into the wall.

I'll check out that link
post #6 of 44 Old 12-13-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I wonder what percentage of people lock down their theater

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #7 of 44 Old 12-13-2012, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

HT, where did you get your door?
post #8 of 44 Old 12-13-2012, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

I wonder what percentage of people lock down their theater

I dont know how many but I'm sure its not enough. You can never be too safe. We spend a lot of money on these rooms and from experiance people will do anything to get your stuff without having to work for it and earn it on their own!
post #9 of 44 Old 12-13-2012, 02:37 PM

Break-in proof those exteriors you just listed and the theater will be included along with everything else in the house. A life is worth more than AV equipment...
post #10 of 44 Old 12-13-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The Erskine Group sells a door that I suspect is pretty much bomb proof.....wont fit your budget though

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #11 of 44 Old 12-13-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:

Break-in proof those exteriors you just listed and the theater will be included along with everything else in the house. A life is worth more than AV equipment...

Habitat For Humanity Restore.. non-hunng.. but knob holes and hinges where included..
post #12 of 44 Old 12-13-2012, 03:08 PM

In my experience a thief will get your stuff if they want it. The trick is to make it more work to go after your property than someone else. Also make sure your equipment can be replaced under your homeowners policy. Receipts and pictures locked in a safe are not a bad idea.

I like the idea of a security door but i think having it be like fort knox is just going to far. I like the idea of a solid core door, with a lock and a good door frame. What side of the door are the hinges on?
elmalloc likes this.
post #13 of 44 Old 12-13-2012, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Agreed SoulMan, but the theater would work as a great panic room and much more inexpensive to lock down than the entire house.
post #14 of 44 Old 12-13-2012, 03:14 PM

By the way, if I were a thief a drill and a saws all would get me through pretty much any door short of plate steel in a couple minutes. They steal outboards from boats like this all the time. Just cut the transom. If i know this much a real thief probably knows even better ways.
post #15 of 44 Old 12-13-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

scipper is starting to google ways to break into a home theater, be careful all!! xD

Current Projects:
post #16 of 44 Old 12-13-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

scipper is starting to google ways to break into a home theater, be careful all!! xD

No, this type of thing comes up all the time on the boating forum I'm on. The bottom line is that thieves are going to steal from someone. The best defense is to not be an easy target, and let insurance do it's job. If you end up spending over $1000 on some security door you have likely just paid your deductible on your home owners insurance twice without even guaranteeing that your possessions are safe.
post #17 of 44 Old 12-13-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I typically park my convertible with the top down. My coworkers will say what are you doing, this is the bad part of town. I say, well, better they see I have not even a penny sitting inside my car rather than break the windows to see I have no GPS unit to steal.

Current Projects:
post #18 of 44 Old 12-13-2012, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by scipper77 View Post

In my experience a thief will get your stuff if they want it. The trick is to make it more work to go after your property than someone else. Also make sure your equipment can be replaced under your homeowners policy. Receipts and pictures locked in a safe are not a bad idea.

+1. If you're that concerned that you're willing to spend thousands on a door - get a monitored alarm system (again, be less of a target) - you'll get a break on your insurance, too. Mine almost pays for itself because of that.

And if you're concerned about people who have been in the house before - as opposed to random criminal that "happens" upon the theater gear - an interior door isn't going to do any good. Once someone is in the house, out of sight, and they know there's stuff behind that door, they're going to get it. Is the entire wall block concrete? Otherwise I can go around that door in a minute with a utility knife...

And back to the homeowner's policy - if they get in, you're probably better off letting them get the gear that they're going to take anyway without destroying a lot of property in the process. I tell the same thing to people wanting to secure outdoor speakers/TVs to their house with cables, etc. Really? So the thief rips down the walls causing a lot more $$ damage than the speakers are worth?

Just something to think about.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #19 of 44 Old 12-13-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scipper77 View Post

I like the idea of a security door but i think having it be like fort knox is just going to far. I like the idea of a solid core door, with a lock and a good door frame. What side of the door are the hinges on?

Facing the door inside the Theater, hinges are on the right side..
post #20 of 44 Old 12-13-2012, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Overly sells some doors that are pretty commonly used in SCIFs and secured storage vault rooms. Add an XO-9 lock if you don't want people getting in. You might want to look at your wall construction at that point too. smile.gif
post #21 of 44 Old 12-13-2012, 08:49 PM

Liked: 32
Six miles away. I would not worry. You want good protection, get a couple of Pits or Dobbie's, or even a couple of German Shepard's to keep watch. I know that if anyone tried to come into my place, our Golden Retriever would take a good chunk out of them and make them think twice of being on her ground.
post #22 of 44 Old 12-14-2012, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

but golden retriever NICE dog!! WHAT YOU DO TO TRAIN IT OTHERWISE? Here's my guard dog:

You may think that maybe this pot is a Human robber:

Current Projects:
post #23 of 44 Old 12-14-2012, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Your money would be best spent on an alarm system for your home. If someone gets inside while you are gone all they need is 5 minutes with a saw-zall and they will go right through the wall of your theater bypassing the security door.

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #24 of 44 Old 12-14-2012, 08:59 AM

Liked: 32
Actually the best money spent is a noisy dog, or one that likes to lie in wait. That along with nosy neighbors to keep an eye. on things.

I am sorry, but any crackhead looking to grab and run, is not going to be carrying a sawz-all, let alone case the place out long enough to say "hey lets take all of the av equipment, and leave the rest".
post #25 of 44 Old 12-14-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Actually the best money spent is a noisy dog, or one that likes to lie in wait. That along with nosy neighbors to keep an eye. on things. I am sorry, but any crackhead looking to grab and run, is not going to be carrying a sawz-all, let alone case the place out long enough to say "hey lets take all of the av equipment, and leave the rest".

True, I think a break-in proof door is excessive. Any normal door with a lock will be enough. If someone is that determined to break into your room, they would go through the wall. My equipment rack has a lockable metal door on the back and a lockable plexiglass door on the front. Now, they are by no means great locks, or super strong doors, but they would be enough to discourage a "grab and run" experience. Plus I have a doberman. Hell, even a wall-mounted LCD TV is a huge pain in the ass to take off since many are literally screwed and bolted to the wall. Now a days most people take Jewelry, Laptops, iPads, PS3s, etc. The biggest value people have in their homes a lot of times is stuff like art or furniture, but they are just too big and bulky (Not to mention attention grabbing while fleeing) most people to grab. I think people watch too many heist movies... the majority of people are like the ones Gregzoll mentions. Easy jobs, quick in and out. A lot of people I know that have been robbed REALLY had to look around their house to find anything missing at all. There was more $$$ of damage from the break in than the items taken in the robbery.

If you read enough articles, the top two security measures any house can have are : 1) a dog, and 2) hedges in front of windows. Most people case houses that are the most vulnerable. In fact, a $1 sign saying "Random Security" is pretty much just as valuable as an actual security system as far as as trying to deter someone from breaking in.

I've heard a story before of people taking a moving truck out to a house in the middle of the day, and pretend they are movers. Just putting everything in the house in the truck. No one really questions it. A lot of people leave their doors unlocked, garages open, etc... not too bright. I drive down neighborhoods and see huge boxes on everyone's doorsteps from places like Amazon (Sometimes 5-10 boxes) and wonder why they don't get stolen more often. Sometimes they will sit there for days.
post #26 of 44 Old 12-14-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Actually the best money spent is a noisy dog, or one that likes to lie in wait. That along with nosy neighbors to keep an eye. on things.
I am sorry, but any crackhead looking to grab and run, is not going to be carrying a sawz-all, let alone case the place out long enough to say "hey lets take all of the av equipment, and leave the rest".

I'd say that many crack heads work in the trades and would have more tools than you or me. And many will have a sawz-all. Being addicted to drugs doesn't mean you can't think ahead and plan out ways to do things. Quite the opposite, that addiction makes for some pretty good motivation to put your energy towards figuring out how to be a better thief. Just my opinion, not saying you are wrong.
post #27 of 44 Old 12-14-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Damelon, good point on the leaving doors open comment. but my side garage door is as good as open, the lower right small window pane can be broken and a thief can let themself in.

I will tkae your suggestions with some security signs. I also will consider security cameras. Now-a-days you can purchase a camera system that you can view from any computer at any time, this way you can watch your house get robbed!

I dont expect a master theif to take the effort to go through a wall to my theater for my gear. I doubt it would be worth the effort. But I would like to deter the average thief from thinking it would be easy to walk in and out with the gear. If I could make or get a sturdy door that doubles as sound proofing and put a lock on it that might be enough. It could also work to lock the wife and soon to be kids out of the man cave when needed! Haha
post #28 of 44 Old 12-14-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atren View Post

I will tkae your suggestions with some security signs. I also will consider security cameras.

Totally forgot this one, yeah just seeing security cameras (Real or Fake) is another big deterrent. They sell fake ones for that purpose. I've been thinking of getting some night vision ones anyway, just because.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atren View Post

It could also work to lock the wife and soon to be kids out of the man cave when needed! Haha

That's a much better reason than the security part. wink.gif I have the locks on my A/V rack to make sure kids/guests/wife have 0 access to the physical devices when I'm not there!
post #29 of 44 Old 12-14-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Get home owners insurance and photograph your belongings if your that worried. I could probably break into your theater room in 1 minute with a drywall saw.
post #30 of 44 Old 12-14-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocoloco View Post

Get home owners insurance and photograph your belongings if your that worried. I could probably break into your theater room in 1 minute with a drywall saw.

Yeah I used to laugh when I was working as a contractor for the military. On a base I was at, they had a server room in a warehouse. It had a metal door with a lock. But the walls were aluminum frame with drywall, and the ceiling was typical dropped ceiling panels. So you could climb over the wall and come through the ceiling with 0 tools, or just take any crowbar and literally bend the door jam far enough to push the door open. So much for metal doors and door locks.

+1 on insurance too (Though this SHOULD be a no-brainer) - the photos are important if you don't have receipts.
elmalloc likes this.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page