27L x 22W x 10H DIY Concrete Bunker w/eight 18" IB subs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 12-14-2012, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi All.

I've started a few threads in the last 6 or so months regarding specific questions on my future home theater build. Excavation has begun and the base of the home is taking shape. Home is scheduled to complete towards end of May after which I will immediately start on finishing approximately 2000sqft of the basement. Most of my ideas/designs/materials for the HT are already thought out, but given the approximate start date, I still have plenty of time to change things if need be.

EDIT:
The screen will be retractable (10 or 12' wide) since a 60" TV will reside on the wall when the screen is not needed. The screen case will be secured to the Spancrete ceiling (3bay garage floor). This wall will be extremely heavily braced and the knee wall/baffle will be decoupled to a certain degree from the wall as well. I'm not too worried about vibrations at this point.

Here is where my design sits at the moment:

At the time of this post, backfill is complete and steel + Spancrete being set in place. Below are pics leading up to this :

Forms getting setup:

Future Home HT (under 3 car bay) from above :

Looking towards rear wall and entry to HT from outside :

Looking at rear wall of HT from outside:

Standing in HT at front left corner looking back at right rear corner & Entrance:

Standing in HT at front right corner looking back at left rear corner and entry:

Standing in single car bay looking towards HT:

Standing at front right corner of home looking diagonally towards rear:

Standing at front left corner of home looking diagonally towards rear:

Standing in front of home looking at side-load bay (HT below it) :

Looking down at walk-up entry to basement:

Here is the front elevation of the home:

Questions/comments appreciated!

Thanks,
Rob

See the Supercharged 10second II here :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3131345
See the ConcreteBunker Build w/8x18" IB subs here:
coming soon......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 12-14-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I think I may have mentioned this before in one of your other threads, but I would seriously consider a manifold system instead of the array. It would do a lot to cancel out the forces that 8 subs are going to produce. I would worry about the drivers shaking the screenwall too much. Looking forward to seeing this one though. You've got a great space to work with.
post #3 of 31 Old 12-14-2012, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

I think I may have mentioned this before in one of your other threads, but I would seriously consider a manifold system instead of the array. It would do a lot to cancel out the forces that 8 subs are going to produce. I would worry about the drivers shaking the screenwall too much. Looking forward to seeing this one though. You've got a great space to work with.

Thanks stock!

I should have mentioned this a while back I suppose :
The screen will be retractable (10 or 12' wide) since a 60" TV will reside on the wall when the screen is not needed. The screen case will be secured to the Spancrete ceiling (3bay garage floor). This wall will be extremely heavily braced and the knee wall/baffle will be decoupled to a certain degree from the wall as well. I'm not too worried about vibrations at this point.

coming soon......
post #4 of 31 Old 12-14-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 263
why not just run a concrete partition wall to truly seperate the backwave, and then it will be stiff as all heck for your 8 x 18" line array!

I'd also throw this out there....how about (2) 4 x 18" line arrays as stereo IB bass behind your main R/L instead of at the bottom?
Might do more for room mode leveling...

You could even put one of these custom made concrete foundation wall for your backwall, and tie it into your being built structure, with the proper "windows" for your IB sub

I had to cut a window in mine eek.gif
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1149303/usul-4-x-ae-ib15-line-array-ib-sub-mike-r-ht#post_16508390
Quote:
16" x 66" IB sub "window", the concrete stud was a royal PIA to remove, my speaker wires were ran thru 3/4" pre-drilled holes on center, so I had to induce cracks there and remove the concrete stud w/o damaging the wires, and remove the rebar rod, 100% success.

btw, can you re-size the many individual pictuires of the construction to say 512 or 640pix wide?
The layouts at big size is ok, but kinda overloaded at so many other big pictures...
post #5 of 31 Old 12-14-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
umm I have a questions about the 8 - 18" IB sub setup....HOLY SH**!!! eek.gif

Hehe just kidding. Looking forward to seeing the progress!

Shades of Grey Theater

Live: Hero of Cannton 

Currently Playing: CoD Black Ops II

post #6 of 31 Old 12-14-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rms8 View Post

Home is scheduled to complete towards end of May after which I will immediately start on finishing approximately 2000sqft of the basement.

So probably around this time next year biggrin.gif

I wish I had known about the Spancrete. That seems great for HT space. I wanted to do an IB for mine but didn't have the space to spare. Are you going to have spancrete over the entire theater or just the part under the garage? Those look like 12' walls... is there 2' reserved for house infrastructure with the 10' finished height below that?

That house is nice. It looks similar to mine, except taken to the next level in terms of architectural detail and polish. The theater space is almost identical as well. I know this is a HT forum, but I would like to see pics of the house in general (if you want to share). Is the stone wall at the front in front of the house or attached to it?

post #7 of 31 Old 12-15-2012, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post

So probably around this time next year biggrin.gif
I wish I had known about the Spancrete. That seems great for HT space. I wanted to do an IB for mine but didn't have the space to spare. Are you going to have spancrete over the entire theater or just the part under the garage? Those look like 12' walls... is there 2' reserved for house infrastructure with the 10' finished height below that?
That house is nice. It looks similar to mine, except taken to the next level in terms of architectural detail and polish. The theater space is almost identical as well. I know this is a HT forum, but I would like to see pics of the house in general (if you want to share). Is the stone wall at the front in front of the house or attached to it?

I estimate roughly three months, maybe four. I did my current basement with equally (almost) large HT in just at 3 months. In the new home, I plan on letting someone else (aka, not me) do the drywall, so that will save a lot of time there.

The home has a 4 car garage, a 3-car side load and a single car (x-wide) front load. The entire area under the 3-car garage is the home theater and is all under SpanCrete. SpanCrete is the name of the product locally. There are other vendors in other areas and it goes by other names. The basement ceiling height is 10ft. In order to maintain the same 10ft ceiling under the garage they had to dig 2ft deeper in that area, so yes you are spot on, those walls are 12ft high! The "lost" 2ft are due to the spancrete thickness and that it sits lower than the other garage floor since they will still pour 4" of concrete over it.

As for pics in general....below is the 1st floor plan. You can see that there is no separate stone wall in front of the home. The same stone which is on the turret is on the 1st 3ft of the bottom of the home too. This extends to the wing walls and pillars which flank each side.

coming soon......
post #8 of 31 Old 12-16-2012, 06:28 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Rob,

Glad to see you started his thread, how exciting this must be for you. Tuned in for sure.

All the best

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #9 of 31 Old 12-17-2012, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

Rob,
Glad to see you started his thread, how exciting this must be for you. Tuned in for sure.
All the best

Thanks FOH.

Spancrete is supposed to be put in place this week. Can't wait!

coming soon......
post #10 of 31 Old 01-10-2013, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Subscribed. Looks like it is going to be nice!!!

I haven't read all posts yet, but I thought I would shoot from the hip and ask how you are planning on accessing that 100amp sub panel behind your screen?

Looking at your plans, it appears as though that space is enclosed for the IB, with no access?

How is the construction going?
post #11 of 31 Old 01-11-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Looks like this will be a beautiful HT - with an attached home as a bonus. Will be following along...
post #12 of 31 Old 01-11-2013, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Hi popalock.

[Just a note about pics| didn't realize earlier in this thread that AVS was hosting the pics now. So I was linking them before from photobucket. Now that AVS is hosting them, they initially aren't so large now.]

The 100amp panel is in addition to the 200amp panel located elsewhere (300amp total service). Access to the 100amp panel will be via a large hatch I will build into the rear wall of the equipment room.

The Spancrete was set 3 weeks ago. Pics below:

coming soon......
post #13 of 31 Old 01-11-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
post #14 of 31 Old 01-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
very impressive build, thanks for sharing it. I will be taking notes for the future.

post #15 of 31 Old 01-11-2013, 07:59 PM

Liked: 10

RMS8, looks like an exciting build - remember we're all addicted to eye candy (Pictures) of builds. Your Theater build is very similar to what I'm planning (concrete bunker under the garage), so I'll be following with added interest. Your builder might already be doing this, however one suggestion I would like to make, if it's not to late, is to add sheet metal flashing on top of the spancrete, under the top coat, and stair stepping over the end where it matches up with the drive - sealed with tar. This will help keep rain from seeping in between the seams and down the inside of the basement wall.
post #16 of 31 Old 01-12-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Hi Rob. Just discovered your build today . . . subscribed!!!

First, it looks like you are going to have an unbelievably nice house in a really nice neighborhood. I'm just a wee bit jealous!

A few questions / comments for you: Why go through the expense of a motorized drop-down screen for a windowless concrete shell of a room and what is essentially a full-on dedicated theater? If you have seating distances commensurate with a 10' or 12' wide screen, you will be sitting entirely too far away for a 60" diagonal flat screen to really be enjoyable to watch. Plus, I assume you would be using an acoustically transparent screen...if that's the case, how do you handle all the light that will pass through the screen and be reflected off the glossy surfaces of the 60" without affecting the picture on the drop down screen? I'd also think that the location of this flat panel display would interfere with the placement on your center channel speaker and not allow you to get the tweeters for the left / center / right speakers all on the same plane.

And regarding the eight 18" IB subwoofers (and two 15" IB woofers)....I'm all for adequate headroom and pressurizing the room with good bass, but was this amount recommended to you by someone? You begin to have diminishing returns on your investment beyond a certain point. If I could drive a nail with a five pound sledge with one hit, there's no reason for me to use a 50 pound sledge to drive the same nail when the five pound will do. Just curious to understand your planning process.

Looking forward to updates.
post #17 of 31 Old 01-14-2013, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk-customs 
...however one suggestion I would like to make, if it's not to late, is to add sheet metal flashing on top of the spancrete, under the top coat, and stair stepping over the end where it matches up with the drive - sealed with tar. This will help keep rain from seeping in between the seams and down the inside of the basement wall.

I'll ask Jeff what his plans are on the front edge. Thanks for the advice!

coming soon......
post #18 of 31 Old 01-14-2013, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG 
Why go through the expense of a motorized drop-down screen for a windowless concrete shell of a room and what is essentially a full-on dedicated theater? If you have seating distances commensurate with a 10' or 12' wide screen, you will be sitting entirely too far away for a 60" diagonal flat screen to really be enjoyable to watch. Plus, I assume you would be using an acoustically transparent screen...if that's the case, how do you handle all the light that will pass through the screen and be reflected off the glossy surfaces of the 60" without affecting the picture on the drop down screen? I'd also think that the location of this flat panel display would interfere with the placement on your center channel speaker and not allow you to get the tweeters for the left / center / right speakers all on the same plane.
Although this rooms primary function is HT, it really is a multi-function room (as is my current HT). The screen will either be my current manual pull down 10' 16:9 or I'll move up to a 12' 16:9. Either way, it will be manual pull down and not AT. The screen hides up in a soffit and the money saved ($1000+) on using a manual can go towards something that can actually benefit. The only advantage of a electric screen is convenience, it has no bearing on picture quality over a manual screen.

The wall mounted flat screen is for Xbox or quick TV watching, or navigating the media server when listening to music or viewing slide shows or watching vids from YouTube or the ilk. Some things just don't require viewing on a 10' wide screen and some things look horrible when viewed that large. When playing Xbox, I typically pull up a comfy chair to play on the flat screen since the seating is a bit far back. Depending on how prices are when I complete the basement I may get a 70" (or larger??) screen and move the 60" somewhere else in the house. When my son and I play together on the Xbox, then I fire up the projector so we each have plenty of real-estate to look at ;-) . When Microsoft releases the new 720, we will get two and be able to play in separate rooms, at least that's the plan for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG 
And regarding the eight 18" IB subwoofers (and two 15" IB woofers)....I'm all for adequate headroom and pressurizing the room with good bass, but was this amount recommended to you by someone? You begin to have diminishing returns on your investment beyond a certain point. If I could drive a nail with a five pound sledge with one hit, there's no reason for me to use a 50 pound sledge to drive the same nail when the five pound will do. Just curious to understand your planning process.
I came up with the eight 18" IB's on my own after lots of reading. I wanted plenty of head room. The 15's in the rear are simply to help with bass smoothing/freq response. They are not for more bass. I may even use two in each corner. There are some pretty twisted bass setups on this site and others and the total volume sweep they have far surpasses what I've put together. I'm not going for any sort of bass addiction, just want plenty of headroom. The FiCar IB318's probably have the BEST price-to-performance ratio out there. I could have gone with some of the top dog drivers (Re XXX, TC Sounds...), but those drivers are ridiculously expensive.

I'm sure the current temps this week and next will slow down progress. Can't complain though since this has been the mildest winter I can remember.

This was from earlier last week.....Once the deck is finished, things should start moving much quicker.

coming soon......
post #19 of 31 Old 01-23-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by rms8 View Post

I came up with the eight 18" IB's on my own after lots of reading. I wanted plenty of head room. The 15's in the rear are simply to help with bass smoothing/freq response. They are not for more bass. I may even use two in each corner. There are some pretty twisted bass setups on this site and others and the total volume sweep they have far surpasses what I've put together. I'm not going for any sort of bass addiction, just want plenty of headroom. The FiCar IB318's probably have the BEST price-to-performance ratio out there. I could have gone with some of the top dog drivers (Re XXX, TC Sounds...), but those drivers are ridiculously expensive.

I guess everything is relative. You need to check out this guy's thread if you haven't already....it may have convinced me into four of the TC Sounds vs. 4 or more of the Fi IB318s.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1314884/8x-18-lms-ultra-5400s-in-4-sealed-enclosures
post #20 of 31 Old 01-23-2013, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Looks like it could be pretty awesome. Are you planning on putting drywall on furring strips on the walls? As with any room with a concrete structure you will need to think and build carefully to prevent some really bad room mode issues. Concrete really doesn't have a lot of low frequency absorption...

Master of Minions, Acoustic Frontiers. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #21 of 31 Old 01-27-2013, 09:06 AM

Getting quiet in here..... (hint hint)
post #22 of 31 Old 01-27-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 24
We accept pics of the house attached to the HT if that's all you've got biggrin.gif

post #23 of 31 Old 01-27-2013, 10:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Nice thread! biggrin.gif Looking forward to this build. I agree the Ficars are probably the best in price to output ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

I guess everything is relative. You need to check out this guy's thread if you haven't already....it may have convinced me into four of the TC Sounds vs. 4 or more of the Fi IB318s.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1314884/8x-18-lms-ultra-5400s-in-4-sealed-enclosures

Just my humble opinion, but an IB has better SQ than boxed subs, not too mention they need less power to run them (In the Ficar drivers case).
Cheers Dave

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

post #24 of 31 Old 06-28-2013, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Any update?

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #25 of 31 Old 06-28-2013, 05:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 922
Nice house!

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #26 of 31 Old 06-28-2013, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 110
This should be good...makes the term mancave very applicable.

How do you access the sump pump that is in the infinite baffle space?

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #27 of 31 Old 09-30-2013, 04:26 AM

Liked: 10
Rob,

yours will definetly be a great build. There was already some talk about your ib wall, but could you please tell us more about it. How will you make it so it doesn´t flex?
post #28 of 31 Old 10-02-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Now that SI has released their 24" IB sub's ..... you could be first kid on the block with them..... just sayin
http://stereointegrity.com/index.php?id=61

post #29 of 31 Old 01-31-2014, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Are we still doing this thing? How's the new house coming along?
post #30 of 31 Old 04-01-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm curious how this has come along as well. Crickets...

I'm mostly wondering what kind of waterproofing was done to the spancrete because I have that and it leaks like a sieve.. at least I have a garage underneath.. can't even fathom taking a risk with finished space there, much less a home theater! eek.gif
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page