a framing question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-22-2012, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What do you guys think about this idea after looking and studing and measuring and on an on. I think I could sandwitch 3 2 x 12 x 18 build a beam and set on post inside the side walls. Then hang 2 x 8 x 15 between the beam and the 2 x4 wall. Then there would only be an inch notch to go around a water pipe. then a shorter span on the other side of the beam. here is a drawing not to scale let me know if you think that is an option
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-22-2012, 08:00 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 675
I think I don't know what I am looking at, where the theater walls will be, what are the span dimensions and how this relates to the layout of the room. Besides as mentioned in your other thread what about just going with clips and channel and calling it a day?
post #3 of 7 Old 12-22-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

I think I don't know what I am looking at, where the theater walls will be, what are the span dimensions and how this relates to the layout of the room. Besides as mentioned in your other thread what about just going with clips and channel and calling it a day?

the space in the basement for my room is 17 9 wide and 32 long there is a steel I beam across the 17' 9 width in the center of the room everything in black is excisting now everything in yellow is what i am proposing. You are looking from outside the space to the right. The screen wall will be to the right of the concreate wall in the far left of the drawing

As far as using the clips i dont have axcess to the above ceiling joist that run above the i beam and there is some more obstruction with the center trunk line supply and return for the hvac. I figure if i put the ceiling joist between the above floor joist I can easily soffet off the ceiling joist i am installing

I will snap a few pics maybe they may put some like on what i am trying to get across
post #4 of 7 Old 12-22-2012, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

This pic is from the back towards the screen which will go in front of the concrete wall in the back of the pic. The left side wall will be next to the 2 x 4 in the left of the pic the back wall will be aligned to put the floor jack you can see inside the wall[
from the screen wall you can see the beam running right to left and how the exciting floor joist are aligned

from the right side you can see how thei beam and the two hvac duct work runs
post #5 of 7 Old 12-22-2012, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Fitting the ceiling joists between the existing floor joists is going to be tough. What's the height of the bottom of the steel beam? Do you have a floor plan you can post that shows the existing ducts and beams?

You're better off sketching out a drawing and snapping a pic of the drawing instead of trying to do something on the computer. Big invented that technique.

Will you move your posts to the other thread and kill this one?

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #6 of 7 Old 12-22-2012, 05:18 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 675
I've studied every picture and read every word you've written on the subject twice, My conclusion is to forget about adding joists, Use whisper clips and channel to hang a ceiling and a free floating boxes around the beam and ductwork. . Of course you need to deal with all that piping hanging down as well. how much head room do you really have under the beam and duct work?
post #7 of 7 Old 12-23-2012, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I agree. And maybe the floor jack can be incorporated as a column in your theater... You might need to add channel on the celing to bypass all of those wires because you might run into issues hanging it flush..
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page