DA-Lite Hi Power and JVC DLA-RS4810? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-27-2012, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, For the last couple of years, I have been working on a new house project, which finally is about to get underway.

Back when I started, I was looking at the Mitsubishi HC9000d PJ. Well, technology changes, so today I am leaning towards the JVC RS4810. ( the only other possibility, is if/when Sony announces a replacement for their VW95), I will be ready to buy around May when my house is done.

I will be having a dedicated, light controlled home theater. 26x16...

Of the 26 ft depth, the front 16 ft will be 11 ft ceilings... then a 2 ft step up for the back 10 ft, to accommodate 2 row seating (9ft ceiling)

I want a screen size of at least 133" and maybe up to 150" (145" sounds about what I will get based upon room size)

When I was looking at the Mits, the HP screen seemed like the ticket because of the Mits light output.

With the JVC, I am not so sure, maybe the HP screen is overkill?. This will be my first HT, so I am looking to you all for your experience and advice.

Do you think the DA-Lite HP, (maybe 145") is a good match?

As far as PJ placement, With the 2 ft step up, I "can" mount the PJ about 4-5 ft high (on a 2-3 ft stand + 2ft of floor.... 16.5 ft throw minimum), with the screen's bottom starting at about 3 ft high. Is that a direct enough shot? The other option is a drop down ceiling mount, but wouldn't like that look unless it is necessary.

From what I have read about the JVC... it should be able to light up this screen, even in 3D mode. And I am thinking the HP screen will let me maybe run in ECO mode for 2D?

As you can see from the dimensions of the room, the seating area will be about 15.5ft back for the first row.and pretty centered... not much off axis viewing. of Course the second row will be around 18-19ft and 2 feet over the first row.

"IF" the HP is a good screen to get in this situation, there are a couple of concerns I have....

The wife does not want a fixed screen, (neither do I really) We will be using the room also for audio, and general entertaining. So artwork on the wall behind the screen.

The DA-Lite HP cannot be tensioned... if I get a larger electric (maybe Cosmopolitan 145") I am concerned about it "sagging" Some forums say this is a good possibility, while other say the HP screen material is heavy and will keep it tensioned. Any thoughts?

I have also been looking at the elite screen Cinewhite CinetensionII... (trying to stay in budget)

Thanks in advance everyone, and I am sure this won't be my first set of questions...74Gibson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-29-2012, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Hello, anybody? I am sure with the wealth of knowledge on this forum, someone can provide some feedback?
post #3 of 13 Old 12-29-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 37
You would better served asking these questions in the appropriate forums; screen and projector forums.
post #4 of 13 Old 12-29-2012, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie View Post

You would better served asking these questions in the appropriate forums; screen and projector forums.

Yeah, I will post it there... wasn't really sure which one was the better one, since my post also included some dedicated theater info...

Thanks!
post #5 of 13 Old 12-29-2012, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I think it would be kind of weird to low shelf / table mount the projector in a dedicated room. Need to be careful with your projector sight lines. If you use lens shift, you're cheating the angles for HP and will get less gain. You're also going to get less gain for the front row if they are 2' lower. I think you're probably going to be on the dim side even with the HP.

As far as wrinkles on the HP, the non-tensioned can get them but they are generally not visible once an image is projected - that said, I tensioned mine when I had it smile.gif As Willie said, you'll get more up to date responses in the screen forum, and I think the HP is still a favorite in the $3k PJ forum as well. The majority here are using acoustically transparent screens because they have the space and the acoustics are better. They don't make an AT HP, unfortunately.

If new house project = new constructions, then you should read through the build threads here and see what went wrong for others and try to avoid them yourself. Common problems are finished ceiling height, HVAC after thoughts, noise / soundproofing, and the entryway. A lot of the advice is geared towards "I have this room, now what I do". If you're building, especially custom, prior to contract you should ask "how should I build with a theater in mind". There are things you can do cheaply during pre-construction that are cost prohibitive to address later.

post #6 of 13 Old 12-30-2012, 05:21 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam74Gibson View Post

Of the 26 ft depth, the front 16 ft will be 11 ft ceilings... then a 2 ft step up for the back 10 ft, to accommodate 2 row seating (9ft ceiling)
I want a screen size of at least 133" and maybe up to 150" (145" sounds about what I will get based upon room size)
As you can see from the dimensions of the room, the seating area will be about 15.5ft back for the first row.and pretty centered... not much off axis viewing. of Course the second row will be around 18-19ft and 2 feet over the first row.

Put away the checkbook, forget about the projector and screen, you need to design a good room. You are not even close.

Post a sketch of the room and we'll take it from there.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-30-2012, 05:26 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:

As far as PJ placement, With the 2 ft step up, I "can" mount the PJ about 4-5 ft high (on a 2-3 ft stand + 2ft of floor.... 16.5 ft throw minimum), with the screen's bottom starting at about 3 ft high. Is that a direct enough shot? The other option is a drop down ceiling mount, but wouldn't like that look unless it is necessary.

You will not get any support from this crowd as this is sounding more like a living room where the dad pulls out the slide projector and puts everyone to sleep rather than a dedicated theater.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-30-2012, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

You will not get any support from this crowd as this is sounding more like a living room where the dad pulls out the slide projector and puts everyone to sleep rather than a dedicated theater.

Well I was following the golden room formula The 'Golden Ratio' that is 1:1.618:1.618 (H:W:L). So, 10'x16' 1" x26' 1" The only variation is the 2 ft step up. which varies ceiling height from 11' to 9'. the "average" height would be about 10.3 or so ft. This 2 ft step up, while not ideal, is the only way I can think to get 2nd row seating... without building a platform of some sort.

So, how would "you" do it?

I could draw up a sketch if you think it would help.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-30-2012, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post

I think it would be kind of weird to low shelf / table mount the projector in a dedicated room. Need to be careful with your projector sight lines. If you use lens shift, you're cheating the angles for HP and will get less gain. You're also going to get less gain for the front row if they are 2' lower. I think you're probably going to be on the dim side even with the HP.
As far as wrinkles on the HP, the non-tensioned can get them but they are generally not visible once an image is projected - that said, I tensioned mine when I had it smile.gif As Willie said, you'll get more up to date responses in the screen forum, and I think the HP is still a favorite in the $3k PJ forum as well. The majority here are using acoustically transparent screens because they have the space and the acoustics are better. They don't make an AT HP, unfortunately.
If new house project = new constructions, then you should read through the build threads here and see what went wrong for others and try to avoid them yourself. Common problems are finished ceiling height, HVAC after thoughts, noise / soundproofing, and the entryway. A lot of the advice is geared towards "I have this room, now what I do". If you're building, especially custom, prior to contract you should ask "how should I build with a theater in mind". There are things you can do cheaply during pre-construction that are cost prohibitive to address later.

Point taken with researching the common problems... a couple of things I am having done is HVAC vents ran behind my AV gear... and adequate vents for general cooling and control.
3/4 inch plywood behind the drywall and ceiling to help with soundproofing, I know this is maybe not the best solution, but all I can afford considering I have a new house to complete.

entryway in center back of the room... not sure if this is good or bad, but where the architect drew it in.

I am not sure what your concern about shelf mounting is? I thought one of the quirks of the HP screen, was that it needed the projector in straight line of sight? How else could you do this if it wasn't shelf mounted?... the projector would be about 5-6 ft up, with the bottom of the screen at about 3.5 ft.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-30-2012, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

BTW guys, I will probably be breaking ground in a couple of weeks, so not sure how many changes I can make without costing money for architectural changes...especially in room dimensions. I may be able to forego the 2 ft step up and make the whole room the same ceiling height, but the size of the room is what it is. 10'x16'1"x26'1"

I will be doing all in wall wiring during construction.

So anything else you can recommend that maybe I can do during construction I will try to include... thanks for your input.

PJ
post #11 of 13 Old 12-30-2012, 04:14 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

two feet of riser height for the second row is grand. See Swizzle stick in my signature. The seating distances seem off, with the first row pretty far from the screen and the second row too close to the first, That is why a sketch may help.
post #12 of 13 Old 12-30-2012, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I am flexible on the row placement... I took a look at Swizzlestick (very nice BTW) and that is sort of what I had planned as far as seating. So your input is appreciated

I will try to get drawing together to illustrate the room. I will reply with it tomorrow.

PJ
post #13 of 13 Old 12-31-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I am not sure what your concern about shelf mounting is? I thought one of the quirks of the HP screen, was that it needed the projector in straight line of sight?

It just means your guests will be in the light path when they stand up to get a drink or step out for whatever reason. It casts a shadow on the screen and the person getting up typically forgets to shield their eyes and gets blinded. Or someone will reach up to stretch and cast a shadow. You may not care yourself, but normally a dedicated theater has more people in mind so that's why I thought a little weird. But I know where you're coming from... 50k CR with an ~2000 lumens isn't available at any price let alone the bargain price of JVC + HP.
Quote:

the projector would be about 5-6 ft up, with the bottom of the screen at about 3.5 ft.

The JVC's used to project an image from the lens up (or lens down when inverted). I assume that's still true, which would mean you're using lens shift to get the image in place. Not saying it will be a problem, but with the HP, the less margin the better it will perform. You're looking a big screen, a 2' riser, and using lens shift (which tilts the beam). I just wanted to caution you about making sure you were able to clear heads on the 2nd row before setting anything in stone.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page