Furnace/Boiler in a sealed room - ventilation and soundproofing questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-28-2012, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am doing my research before I talk to HVAC contractors.
Home Theater Plan

As you can see from the image above, I have a furnace and a hot water boiler at one end of the unfinished basement area. It has exterior walls on all the three sides. I would like to have the home theater in the tan colored area. I plan to use a classic room-within-room construct as much as possible for sound management. The problem is that this means that air flow/ventilation to the furnnace and the boiler is now obstructed as they are in a sealed room.

I read that it is really not a good idea to feed exterior air to the furnaces. (I am in the northeast USA). So, I am contemplating running an additional duct (colored in yellow in the diagram) from the adjoining laundry room to the furnace room. I read that I need 1 sq inch of ventilation per 1000 BTU. I may be able to do that. Is this a good idea ? Are there any other options for me ?

Another thing, to allow for maintenance and access, I plan to have a 36x80 solid core access door on the screen wall. Is that going to be sufficient ? Any critiques of my plan ? Suggestions on what should I be asking the HVAC guys ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-28-2012, 01:40 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 574
The door only needs to be as large as the biggest piece of equiment in the room. Mine is 30 inches and I've had my furnace replaced without issue. Measure the diameter of the water heater.

I'm curious about your statement on not a good idea to use outside air as most of the newer high efficiency furnaces draw in combustion air through a PVC pipe to the outside. You can also get Water heaters that use a similar outside air system.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page