Starting a basement project - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-30-2012, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a project I am starting and need some help. I have a 16x28 room that I want to turn into a home theatre and don't know where to start. I have thought about putting the screen on the 16 foot wall and doing two rows of seating with a bar behind it. With hat being said I am unsure of the distance needed. My ceilings are 7'10". Please feel free to give any input. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-30-2012, 08:30 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 508
It starts by you preparing a scaled drawing of the available room, showing doors and any other things of interest. Just sketch it out and take a picture and post here.

A couple of pictures of the current state of the room will help as well.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-01-2013, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

This is a rough sketch. My plans are to stud the wall with the two posts to hide my utility things. That gives me a 16x28 room. I had thought about putting the screen on e wall that is sixteen feet wide down by the furnace. I was thinking in the 110 inch range. I was thinking of in wall front and center and in ceiling rears. I am open to any ideas though. I would like to do two rows of seating with the second being raised and a bar type seating area behind that second row. I will add some pics ASAP. Thanks for any help or ideas. I am very excited to get going on this as are my kids.
post #4 of 12 Old 01-03-2013, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

I apologize. I was really rushed that day and tried to do something quick. I will make something nicer. Thank you.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-03-2013, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Hopefully this drawing will be more helpful. Drawing is not my strong point and I will never claim that. This is drawn to scale on grid paper where each grid equals one foot. The utility room gives me access to install a cabinet with a open rear to make wiring and venting very easy. As stated it is a bare slate now so wiring will be easily done now and I had planned in walls for a clean look but as I read on this forum I am more confused then when I started. I have seen some amazing builds on here and hope to have something to be proud of and enjoy when I am done. Please feel free to comment or critique in anyway.
Some of the basics I would like to run a projector and had planned to be in the 110 range but I will leave that to the pros. Thanks again!
post #6 of 12 Old 01-03-2013, 08:34 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

post #7 of 12 Old 01-03-2013, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

I never thought about blocking that whole wall. Great idea. What size screen would you recommend for this layout? And possible audio also? Sorry to sound ignorant I have been scouring this forum and it is mind numbing haha. That layout looks perfect by the way. Thank you!
post #8 of 12 Old 01-03-2013, 08:54 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I assumed an acoustically transparent screen (SeymourAv.com) and you will need some beefy speakers for that size room

You would want something at least 120 inches wide, if you were doing 2.35 format I'd say 130+.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-03-2013, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I would start by scanning through the pictures and floorplans in the many builds on the dedicated HT forum - or sort by page view and look at the most heavily visited threads - make a note of the attributes you like in various builds in rooms of a similar size as yours, and get a feel for layouts that might work for you. Mine is 23x17, first row is 12' from the 136" wide screen.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-03-2013, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I will be scanning many posts this weekend.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-04-2013, 05:12 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

here is a two row with bar project I just did. The door was in a awkward location, the back wall.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1421716/bigmouthindc-summer-fun-just-10-minutes-down-the-parkway/0_40
post #12 of 12 Old 01-20-2013, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

The drywall is almost finished and we should be painting this week. Next question/problem is riser/platform height and length? I have reclining seats for the first and second row but I'm not sure how much room is needed between so the seats in the second row don't feel cramped when the first is reclined and how much do I need in the second for them to recline and not hit the planned bar top? I'll try to get some current and build process pics posted soon. The epson 8350 also showed up so we are dying to get going!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page