The Slacker Theater (my first "theater" is almost useable!) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-03-2013, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Long time lurker (pre 2006 apparently!) who recently got the last second go ahead (during a major home renovation) to get a theater thrown together.
This is my slacker flying by the seat of my pants type home theater - nothing exciting, nothing pretty, passable functionality but my FIRST HOME THEATER!!! so I wanted to share.

Quick backstory, this was a six week basement build out/moderate changes to the main floor renovation project started before labor day. They promised it would be done WELL BEFORE our first child was born. Well, it's 2013 and I am hearing "We will finish by friday!" meanwhile our baby just turned 1month old. We also have two dogs and no sleep. You can imagine our stress level. We had to build out the basement quick and dirty to make room for a main floor nursery. That means my home office got banished to the basement.

The idea is to have a home theater with projector on the main wall, then a huge flat screen for Xbox Kinnect, Playstation Move and Nintendo Wii gaming (with traditional gaming on the projector). There will also be a pool table area with a small flat screen and then my home office on the same level fed from this.

It's not much to look at and I didn't plan out the physical layout all that well. The one thing I have planned out is the equipment - using mostly stuff I had and lower end stuff to supplement where I had gaps (i.e. the receiver since my old one didn't have hdmi inputs). I basically stole my upstairs setup which allowed me to game in multiple rooms and moved it downstairs - waiting for replacement parts for upstairs now!

Primary Display:
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 3010 1080p 3LCD Projector
Monoprice Fixed Frame Projection Screen HD Grey Fabric 133 inches 16x9
Flat screens to be installed later

Sound:
Onkyo TX-NR515 7.2 Channel A/V Receiver
Polk 5.1 Channel Speakers (about 15 years old)
Rear "rear" surrounds to complete 7.2 speakers to be installed later as well as possible second zone audio speakers in my office.

Rack:
Monoprice 4ft Relay Rack
Monoprice 3U Wall Mount Bracket
Monoprice 48 Port 110 Patch Panel x 2
Furman PL-8C Power Conditioner
Still waiting for additional shelves to hold everything, I raided my recording setup for shelves until then.

Video Distribution:
Monoprice 4x4 True Matrix HDMI Powered Switch
Monoprice HDMI to CAT5 extenders (not sure which model I will end up using - have the wall plate versions now)

Video Sources:
PS3 (3D BluRays, Games)
Xbox 360 (Games)
Wii (Games)
AppleTV (Movies)
Boxee Box (Movies)
iMac (Movies)
Verizon FIOS HD DVR

Video Library:
Mac Pro 2.8ghz 8 Core Mac (Model 3,1) w/ 3 x 4TB RAID 0
Video Library Backup:
Dat Optic 12 Bay Tower Enclosure w/ 8 x 2TB RAID RAID 10 (with 2 hot spares)

Additional Gadgets:
So far a dedicated first gen iPad to control the AppleTV, cable box and receiver thru separate apps. I might try to improve this later.
USB extenders for the PS3 to charge controllers, wired mics and keyboard all from the seating area or from my home office.
Network cable ran everywhere for wired network, wired usb, or HDMI over CAT5 in various locations.

I will put up actual pics later tomorrow when they are supposedly "finished" I was just excited and had to share.
I am loving the 3D projector/Screen combo which was an upgrade from my Behr Silverscreen DIY and Optima 720p projector even though it was a massive step down in screen size.

"test" screen I made:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-04-2013, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Nice!

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction