AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Dedicated Theater Design & Construction (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/)
-   -   basement help for new theater!! (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/1449941-basement-help-new-theater.html)

ItsaDucati2012 01-06-2013 07:50 AM

Hey guys I need all the help I can get

So I had to replace the the water heater yesterday.... i did it so that incase it pours outr water it goes into the pan and drains into the french drains.

I have the whole basement ripped apart, I took down all the ugly wall panels. I removed the 30yr old carpet
And what I saw was white powdery lime Which from what I know are the minerals which are coming up from the concrete floor and/or wall.

They had used 1x6 to hold up the panel walls against the concrete block wall.

well I was thinking I would get another set of 1x6 and put them over the existing 1x6 which then would be better for me to insert some insulation behind the drywall. ??

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=202389995&R=202389995

this way I can also purchase new wall sockets for the electric they had 1in sockets which i never seen before..

another issue "french drains" the edge of the slabs in some areas were cracked and broken off so i decided to clean them up and get ready to fix up those areas what do you guys recomend for the type cement ??

I just posted some pics take a look see what you guys would do I know alot of your are builders out there.
Also what can I use to to put on that hot water baseboard piping for insulation?
let me know guys thank you !!

ItsaDucati2012 01-06-2013 08:24 AM

J_P_A 01-06-2013 09:11 AM

What part of the country do you live in? That will dictate what is necessary to prevent condensation on your walls and what is necessary for insulation and vapor barrier.

Edit: can you explain your drain to me? The photos make it look like a channel around the perimeter of the basement.

ItsaDucati2012 01-06-2013 09:21 AM

Northern New Jersey

Well about the drain. its 2-3 in from wall to the slab, 4-6in in the ground - its around the whole basement SLAB then there is a huge hole for the sump pump but I dont really need one dont get alot of flood in the area. As you can see in the pics the end of the slab in some areas have just broken off. so I removed them.

J_P_A 01-06-2013 11:27 AM

The sump is not just for floodwater. Most homes will have some amount of water that needs to be moved away from the foundation. Sounds like your foundation drain is run to that sump. That said, I'm not as familiar with drainage systems that include a gap in the slab to allow water to drain to the sump. In you area, I believe the current recommendation for a waterproofed (as opposed to damp proofed) basement is to use rigid styrofoam boards against the walls to act as a vapor barrier and prevent warm air from condensing on the cold concrete. Then you frame inside that. In your case, Im not sure what the recommendation would be as it seems like its necessary for the moisture to be able to drain to the gap in the floor.

Sorry, I wasn't much help on this one.

ItsaDucati2012 01-06-2013 01:31 PM

im not really having flood issue . what kind of concrete mix or what cement would you recomend . to use for the broken slabs on the edges, i was told NOT to use hydraulic cement. if your not a professional dont respond
thanks

i dont wanna pay some guy to do something i can do myself

ADDUpstate 01-06-2013 02:25 PM

Most times it's not the "doing" part that takes the professional, it's the knowledge to know what materials/products to use.

J_P_A 01-06-2013 02:48 PM

I would venture to guess that most on this forum are not "professionals". Good luck with your project.

petew 01-07-2013 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsaDucati2012 View Post

if your not a professional dont respond

If you want a professional go hire one.