AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Dedicated Theater Design & Construction (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/)
-   -   Building a dedicated room, AT or normal screen? (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/1450176-building-dedicated-room-normal-screen.html)

Diesel 48 01-07-2013 06:34 AM

I am in process of designing a new house. My wife and I want a dedicated theater in the new house. I am trying to get a room in the design but am running in to a few questions. First is the size of the room. It does not need to be huge but I want it ti sound good. Maybe large enough for 4 people and a 100" or larger screen. I was thinking 14'W x 21'long and 8-9' high. What are every ones thoughts are AT screens? I have read a few things saying the screen makes the picture worse and others that say it does not. If AT screens are the way to go I want to make sure I am making the room long enough so I can place the speakers and subs behind the screen.

gareth_alien 01-07-2013 06:46 AM

Sounds like you have a room large enough to produce a fantastic home cinema. Definitely go AT.

Take a look around at some of the other established rooms done in this section. Look for threads with high post counts - they'll have piccies so you can get an idea of what would be possible.

GWCR 01-07-2013 06:47 AM

14' x 21' is a good size. You may want to see if you can increase the depth by another foot or two if you can. Makes it easier for 2 rows of seating, especially if you go with an AT screen. I am at 21' and everything fits, but would have liked a little extra room. With the 14' width, you could easily go 120" or larger on the screen. I am at 12.5' wide and 120" fills up the front nicely. While my screen isn't installed just yet, I would recommend an AT screen. IMO, I like the cleaner look that it provides being able to hide the speakers behind it. Haven't been to an actual theater where the speakers are clearly visible up front wink.gif.

Sounds like the hardest part is already done when you said, "My wife and I want a dedicated theater...". Good luck and be sure to post some design pics!

Diesel 48 01-07-2013 07:00 AM

OK, I was leaning towards at AT screen for imaging and everything else. I am assuming you would typically place the subs behind the front wall as well. What brand of screens are people getting? Are there different types of AT screens that work better with different projectors? My current room as a normal Carada screen. I am using an EPSON 8350 PJ. Plan on upgrading when the new house is finished. I have looked at a lot of threads but am starting to get a bit nervous. So many things to think of. I want it to sound the best it can. Of course withing budget smile.gif. I want the room to be done well and be as future proof as possible. Trying to decide if I leave the room unfinished and do it all myself. Or sub it out.

BIGmouthinDC 01-07-2013 07:19 AM

A forum favorite AT screen is SeymourAV.com, I have an SMX also well regarded. Stewart Micro Perf is a dealer favorite.

GWCR 01-07-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel 48 View Post

I want the room to be done well and be as future proof as possible. Trying to decide if I leave the room unfinished and do it all myself. Or sub it out.
Might depend on your location, but if you decide to sub it out the poster above does fantastic work...

Diesel 48 01-07-2013 08:40 AM

GWCR,
Did you use the design service offered here? How did it go? Would you do it again? What information did you need for them to help the most?

Kamikaze13 01-07-2013 08:44 AM

Should he not avoid dimensions that are divisible by the same number for improved sound?

14 x 21 both divisible by 7.

GWCR 01-07-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

GWCR,
Did you use the design service offered here? How did it go? Would you do it again? What information did you need for them to help the most?
I did use the Pro Theater Layout services. It went great. Easy process. Exchanged a few emails and had a couple conversations about my space, goals, etc. including accurate measurements. After some give and take, they provided me with a set of plans that had the layout of the theater from different viewing angles (left, right, top, front) including dimensions, speaker placement, and suggested acoustic treatments and locations. Also had a couple pages of instructions which were very helpful. Even though I have deviated slightly from the plans, I found it to be extremely helpful since it was my first real HT project. If you have decent DIY construction skills, but want some direction on your project, I would recommend it.

Diesel 48 01-07-2013 10:39 AM

Thanks! I might have to think about that after talking to my builder and architect. I am looking at your build log. What did you do to sound proof your ceiling? Did you use the isolating clips for the ceiling or only the walls?

GWCR 01-07-2013 11:20 AM

Clips and channel for the walls and ceiling. Double layer of drywall with Green Glue in between.

Brad Horstkotte 01-07-2013 12:03 PM

I went with an AT screen and love it. The only reason I can think that I'd go with a non-AT screen is if I wanted a gigantic screen and couldn't afford a bright enough projector, then a high power screen would be worth considering - but at the cost of having to place the center channel above or below the screen (or forego a center channel, use a phantom center, at the cost of a narrow sweet spot).

Diesel 48 01-07-2013 12:28 PM

Another question. If the stage and riser cannot be connected the walls what covers the gap on all the sides?

GWCR 01-07-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Another question. If the stage and riser cannot be connected the walls what covers the gap on all the sides?

Air. biggrin.gif

Seriously, my gap ranges from 1/4" to 3/8" between the stage/riser and walls. Since I will have 1" treatments on the walls, the gap will be covered by those. I guess technically at the riser and stage height it will be covered by furring strips and the base trim that will be floating about 1/4" above the level of the riser/stage. Carpet will then be tucked under the trim, so no one will know there is a gap there. Behind the screen wall I have 2" of Linacoustic on the walls, so the gap is covered by that.

Diesel 48 01-08-2013 09:38 AM

Wow, just thinking of a few questions. After spending the time to seal off the room how are can lights used? Do you avoid using them and only have lights in the sofits? Are there different types of cans to buy? What about the equipment rack, I was thinking of putting it in a different room however I need to be able to get my Audyssey mic in there. I was thinking the face could show through but then have access to the back in the rear of the room. However how would that be sealed as well?

Kamikaze13 01-08-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

What about the equipment rack

I built mine into the next room in an mdf cabinet with a removable back panel. I use an external fan to vent out the top of the cabinet.

Sorry for the small photo, it's all I had here at work.

Brad Horstkotte 01-08-2013 10:20 AM

Re: can lights - I have can lights in my ceiling, and also 3" halogens in my soffit - I decided to add the soffit and lighting after the can lights were already in. If I was doing it over, I'd probably skip the ceiling cans, the lighting from the soffit is plenty.

Spaceman 01-08-2013 11:15 AM

I agree. I have 3 recessed lights in each side soffit, 2 in the back soffit and 3 in the soffit over the screen and that is plenty of light. Ceiling cans would have been overkill in a room my size (12'-6" x 19').

AV Science Sales 5 01-08-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

I am in process of designing a new house. My wife and I want a dedicated theater in the new house. I am trying to get a room in the design but am running in to a few questions. First is the size of the room. It does not need to be huge but I want it ti sound good. Maybe large enough for 4 people and a 100" or larger screen. I was thinking 14'W x 21'long and 8-9' high. What are every ones thoughts are AT screens? I have read a few things saying the screen makes the picture worse and others that say it does not. If AT screens are the way to go I want to make sure I am making the room long enough so I can place the speakers and subs behind the screen.

In a dedicated room, I would go AT. If the room is mostly for movies, I would go scope AT. In your size room, I would go with a screen that is larger than 100" wide. If you would like to talk equipment that will work in your set up, give us a call.

Diesel 48 01-09-2013 05:23 AM

What about those with equipment racks that show AV items in the room but the back side is in another room. How does that work with sound proofing the room? Trying to figure out how and where I can keep my equipment without effecting the sound proofing. I was thinking of placing it outside the room however I still need to be able to use the audyssey mic.

Diesel 48 01-14-2013 12:05 PM

I like that idea however I think I read you can only extend the cable 25ft. Depending on the location of the rack room that could be an issue. AT screen is a must for sure.