Color Scheme Question - just in case I am making a mistake - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 01-07-2013, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19

So - I have been working for about three years, browsing, asking a bunch of questions and even having Mr. "BIG DC" himself swing by for a quick consult as he was passing through (which by the way, to those that can make it happen, man he knows his stuff)

Now the question...

Mud/Taping will be done this week and it is nearly painting time...my ceilings are going to be black (with hopefully a starfield similar to Spaceman's).  The front wall will be GOM in front of "OC703" accoustic material...and BLACK as well.

Here is my confusion...I really wanted to paint the soffits/columns dark as well, but many many many "if not all of the finished theaters" have lighter columns/soffits etc.  Is there any reason why I just can't go "dark" everywhere?  We were thinking a few different shades of dark brown on the column/soffit.

I figured most of them were for contrast...but since I have a "open dedicated" theater I have contrast everywhere else. 

Attached are a few pics of the ceiling/soffit of the theater area, as well as overall pics.

Any and all comments welcome.

Thanks gang as always!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-07-2013, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 103
What color will the walls be? I like the idea of dark soffits and columns with a contrasting dark color for the walls.

For your ceiling, the stars will actually be brighter if you put them on a lighter color paint. With a black ceiling, they will look a little dull after they are charged. It doesn't have to be white or sky blue. A dark beige or brown would work. My ceiling is a medium brown.

Here's a pic Jeff gave me showing stars on untextured drywall with different paint as the background color.

You also need to consider what the stars will look like under normal lighting conditions (when they aren't charged). They pretty much disappear on lighter ceilings (adding to the wow factor when you actually charge them), but on really dark ceilings, you will see the individual beads of star paint. This is the same pic as above but with the lights on.

You might get some friends asking what's all over your black ceiling before you actually get the chance to unveil fully charged stars.
post #3 of 17 Old 01-07-2013, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The walls were also going to be "dark".  The exact color we were looking at was Espresso Brown - really dark of course.

As for the ceiling...I am now a bit scared of doing the "stars"....perhaps I just forget them and go with a black ceiling after all, since I really want to cut the light reflection.

post #4 of 17 Old 01-07-2013, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

From what I can tell from your pictures, your soffits are fairly deep. With both the projector and screen being recessed under the soffits, I think reflections off your "raised" ceiling will be minimal. That seems like a great layout for a perimeter light tray and star ceiling. I can say that my build started out with a star ceiling on the wish list. It then sort of fell off the list of priorities and only became part of the project again towards the very end. I can say that it is everyone's favorite part of the room and I'm really glad I was able to make it work.

You could always paint the room and see how reflective the ceiling is before having the stars painted. I'd be tempted to paint the soffits and columns black and repeat your Espresso Brown wall color (or maybe something a little lighter) on the recessed ceiling and see how that handles reflections. If you find it's too reflective, grab your black paint. If it doesn't bother you, then you're all set for stars.
post #5 of 17 Old 01-07-2013, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post

The walls were also going to be "dark".  The exact color we were looking at was Espresso Brown - really dark of course.

As for the ceiling...I am now a bit scared of doing the "stars"....perhaps I just forget them and go with a black ceiling after all, since I really want to cut the light reflection.

I went with a mouse ears black ceiling and dark grey soffits. I think it looks great. Most people just think that they're the same color once you turn the work lights off (the overhead cans). The soffits and this wall are actually the same paint.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-07-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

What color will the walls be? I like the idea of dark soffits and columns with a contrasting dark color for the walls.
For your ceiling, the stars will actually be brighter if you put them on a lighter color paint. With a black ceiling, they will look a little dull after they are charged. It doesn't have to be white or sky blue. A dark beige or brown would work. My ceiling is a medium brown.
Here's a pic Jeff gave me showing stars on untextured drywall with different paint as the background color.

You also need to consider what the stars will look like under normal lighting conditions (when they aren't charged). They pretty much disappear on lighter ceilings (adding to the wow factor when you actually charge them), but on really dark ceilings, you will see the individual beads of star paint. This is the same pic as above but with the lights on.

You might get some friends asking what's all over your black ceiling before you actually get the chance to unveil fully charged stars.

I found this REALLY informative. I have been thinking for a long time about having Jeff do a starfield for me. This answers my question about the black ceiling in the theatre... It wouldn't be a problem at all if your ceilings were high enough... 10' would be good I bet.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-07-2013, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah, the soffits are about 14" "deep"...also you are right, I can start lighter on the recessed ceiling and then go darker...Mmmmm.

Also I do have power in the soffits for a light tray after mudding is done....soooooo.

I had given up on the star ceiling, but your build gave me faith again that I can do it...so I want to keep dreaming of the stars.

I guess I should not be worried about going dark everywhere then...keep the thoughts and comments coming.

Timelapse - thanks for your thoughts.....I 've been watching our build and never realized the colors...

post #8 of 17 Old 01-07-2013, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

One more piece of input... it takes something on the order of five coats of matte black to get a good, even, blemish-free coating on a ceiling. That's five neck-breaking painful coats. Lighter IS easier for whatever that's worth to you.
post #9 of 17 Old 01-07-2013, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

One more piece of input... it takes something on the order of five coats of matte black to get a good, even, blemish-free coating on a ceiling. That's five neck-breaking painful coats. Lighter IS easier for whatever that's worth to you.

Holy crude...WOW, I never imaged that many.

However, I really like a dark room....so since my wife loves to paint, this will give her a lot to do  :-)

post #10 of 17 Old 01-07-2013, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, come on. It looked pretty easy in the timelapse. wink.gif
post #11 of 17 Old 01-08-2013, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Just a +1 on the dark colors everywhere... Low contrast, monochromatic theme works, just different than the higher-contrast trim / wall color arrangement most of us are used to. My decorator pushed big throughout my house on lower-contrast colors within the room. I had white trim everywhere in my old house regardless of wall color. She was right... biggrin.gif

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #12 of 17 Old 01-08-2013, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Just a +1 on the dark colors everywhere... Low contrast, monochromatic theme works, just different than the higher-contrast trim / wall color arrangement most of us are used to. My decorator pushed big throughout my house on lower-contrast colors within the room. I had white trim everywhere in my old house regardless of wall color. She was right... biggrin.gif
Jeff

Jeff...WOW - went to your build and love it.

Can I ask what color is your ceiling without the "lights on".

I love your color scheme, that is exactly what we were thinking...thanks for the thumbs up !!

post #13 of 17 Old 01-08-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post

Jeff...WOW - went to your build and love it.

Can I ask what color is your ceiling without the "lights on".

I love your color scheme, that is exactly what we were thinking...thanks for the thumbs up !!

Thanks! The tray ceiling is painted in a metallic copper color. I don't have the exact paint color / brand unfortunately (I need to find it). But with the lights off it looks fairly shiny and metallic... Honestly the rope lights are always on when the room is used - dimmed at a low level (15%-20% or so) during movies.

This is the only picture I have handy without the rope lights on - the middle tray on the left looks closest to the actual color in real life. It's a deep copper color, almost as dark as the walls, but a lot more shiny!

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #14 of 17 Old 01-08-2013, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks! The tray ceiling is painted in a metallic copper color. I don't have the exact paint color / brand unfortunately (I need to find it). But with the lights off it looks fairly shiny and metallic... Honestly the rope lights are always on when the room is used - dimmed at a low level (15%-20% or so) during movies.
This is the only picture I have handy without the rope lights on - the middle tray on the left looks closest to the actual color in real life. It's a deep copper color, almost as dark as the walls, but a lot more shiny!

Jeff

Awesome and no need to find the exact paint color...I get it!

Thanks again!

post #15 of 17 Old 01-08-2013, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jeff

Jeff, that's a really handsome room you've got there. The only thing that I think would bother me if it were mine is the equipment rack in the rear. Do you find that the LEDs from the equipment bother you when the room is dark? Also, am I right in assuming that your curtains are automated to reveal a 2.35 screen?
post #16 of 17 Old 01-08-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jeff, that's a really handsome room you've got there. The only thing that I think would bother me if it were mine is the equipment rack in the rear. Do you find that the LEDs from the equipment bother you when the room is dark? Also, am I right in assuming that your curtains are automated to reveal a 2.35 screen?

Thanks - I have the LEDs turned down/off as much as possible, and you can't see them under normal conditions. If I turn the lights / PJ off completely, once your eyes adjust to the darkness, then there's a slight blue cast. So it's not a problem - ideal location is probably on the back side wall so the rack faces across the room. But having the rack in the back is very handy!

The curtains don't move, but there's automated masking that reveals the 2.35 screen.

Jeff

post #17 of 17 Old 01-08-2013, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

It may depend on the paint and if it's sprayed or rolled. I rolled two coats of Rosco velour black and it's about as matte and black as I've seen. Of course I have only down lighting and no soffit lights hitting the ceiling so that helps.

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page