Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #181 of 196 Old 07-14-2014, 01:24 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Not sure what happened to the link....probably user error...

http://www.homeownersnetwork.com/boo...r-application/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 196 Old 07-16-2014, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Now that I'm starting to drywall, I had a concern about smoke detectors. My HT will be pretty soundproofed, and I'm concerned that if I'm in there watching a movie, that I or my family wouldn't hear an alarm sounding? I have a detector right outside the HT, but I doubt I'd hear it with a loud movie and the door closed. Am I being too paranoid? I could run an extra smoke in the HT.

Also, is there any trick to routing out openings in drywall with a rotozip type tool? I have a dewalt that just cuts through everything, receptacle box, stud, you name it.
post #183 of 196 Old 07-16-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedo View Post
Now that I'm starting to drywall, I had a concern about smoke detectors. My HT will be pretty soundproofed, and I'm concerned that if I'm in there watching a movie, that I or my family wouldn't hear an alarm sounding? I have a detector right outside the HT, but I doubt I'd hear it with a loud movie and the door closed. Am I being too paranoid? I could run an extra smoke in the HT.

Also, is there any trick to routing out openings in drywall with a rotozip type tool? I have a dewalt that just cuts through everything, receptacle box, stud, you name it.
The smoke detector is on my list of to-dos that I seem to keep forgetting about. I'll likely end up with one behind my screen wall as that's the only place I can get the wire into the room easily that's out of site. Fortunately, these things talk to each other nowadays, so as long as you put them on the same circuit, when one goes off, the other will too. At least, that's how I understand it, anyway.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #184 of 196 Old 07-16-2014, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

JPA, I could hang one right inside the door, I have my insulation up, but that's not a big deal to pull a 6 ft wire. Is it safe to paint a smoke detector? I'd hate to have an ugly white one right in my line of sight, but if I could paint it black, it'd blend into the ceiling fairly well.
post #185 of 196 Old 07-16-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I've seen others on the forums mention painting them, but if you cover the sensor it's not going to work. I'm guessing most of us are careful to disassemble them if possible, or make sure to tape up all the vents first. The other aspect to consider is if you are not really concerned with detecting smoke in the room, and just want an alarm, you could probably wire up an alarm off of the other detectors in the area.

I have seen a black smoke alarm on the inter webs, but I certainly can't find it at the moment (other than the Nest alarm, that is).

post #186 of 196 Old 07-16-2014, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I just need the detector to alarm. Hopefully the HT won't be the cause...
post #187 of 196 Old 07-16-2014, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
I did'nt put one in the first theater.. and for the reasons you listed it became a constanst source of anxiety.. partiularlly since I knew I would'nt be able to just "Kick" a hole through the drywall to get out if the exit became blocked...sometimes I would get up in the middle of a movie and open to door to see if things were "normal" in the rest of the house, I never got it out of my mind.... Thats "Paranoid".. $25 for that piece of mind is worth every penny... Already wired for one in the new theater...

Quote:

Slow down the speed or/then/and try a larger cutter with less flutes.

"I've cut that piece 3 times and its still too short..."
post #188 of 196 Old 07-16-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I just need the detector to alarm. Hopefully the HT won't be the cause...
You might try the automation sub forum and ask if there is an easy way to wire in an alarm rather than a detector. Cocoontech (IIRC) would also be a good resource for trying to find a cheap alarm that could be wired in easily. I'm glad you asked this because that may be the way I decide to go now

post #189 of 196 Old 07-17-2014, 06:28 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
You might try the automation sub forum and ask if there is an easy way to wire in an alarm rather than a detector. Cocoontech (IIRC) would also be a good resource for trying to find a cheap alarm that could be wired in easily. I'm glad you asked this because that may be the way I decide to go now
If you have a stand-alone alarm system, integration is difficult and usually involves pricey proprietary solutions from what I've seen.

But if you have a security system that can 'talk' to your automation system (like a GE Networx) or if you have one of the smart packages with your stand-alone security system, there are quite a number of ways to initiate a variety of alarm events.

post #190 of 196 Old 07-17-2014, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I was under the impression that the networked smokes use a 14/3 for power and use the extra conductor to signal the other smokes when they are alarming. I'm not sure what that signal is, but if it's just a contact closure of something, then you might be able to just wire in a horn on that extra conductor circuit. Of course, it may be more trouble than it's worth, and just adding another smoke would be easier.

post #191 of 196 Old 09-08-2014, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

I officially hate drywall. Hanging all the rock for an entire basement by yourself sucks. I'm just about done with the second layer in the HT, then I'll get to work mudding and taping. I just have to keep reminding myself how much money I'm saving.

One thing I've realized is how important it is to frame things properly. 16" OC means 16" no 15 5/8, or 16 1/4. Also, making sure that corners have nailers for the drywall. I was pretty good with this in the regular rooms, but in the HT I didn't plan properly for the second layer of drywall. Also, the old adage, measure twice, cut once, especially when routing openings. On my ceiling vents, the sheet metal didn't extend far enough to use a drywall router, so I had to measure and cut by hand. One box is good, the second will need a bit of repair...

Oh, btw I hate drywall.
post #192 of 196 Old 09-08-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you do not truly hate drywall until you have spackled your theater.

Scrolling up a bit, did you ever address the smoke alarm in the theater? If you have a 120v system you can add on using a Kidde wireless type. It can even be battery powered if you didn't run the wire.

They make detectors with sounders for low voltage (aka burglar alarm) systems, but I've only seen the sounder as a local type (when the wireless detector senses smoke the sounder will go off, but it doesn't go off if the rest of the system is in alarm).

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #193 of 196 Old 09-09-2014, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I ran another 14/3 line into the home theater and put a box in for the detector. I decided that I would always be worrying about it if I didn't.

Mud and tape won't be fun, but at least I'll be able to get my wife to help with some of it. It's all an adventure.
post #194 of 196 Old 09-09-2014, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
If I had a house, instead of putting a smoke detector in the theater, or an alarm from the other detectors in the theater, I'd set it up so that if a detector goes off anywhere in the house, it would also cut power to the pj. That way, I could watch a movie with piece of mind, knowing that if there ever was a prob, the pj would go off and I'd know immediately.

Or if that was too hard to do, I'd have a big red lightbulb that only went on if a detector went off in the house, like the same kind of thing deaf people have to tell them the phone is ringing.

post #195 of 196 Old 09-10-2014, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Having an alarm cut power to the PJ would be a bit of work to design and implement. My alarm is above the door, which is in the front of the theater, so I'll see the light go off, and most detectors are quite loud, around 80+ decibels. I think that unless I'm watching something super loud for an extended period of time, I'll hear the alarm sound.
post #196 of 196 Old 09-12-2014, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter

I need some help planning the thing above my screen that has wash lights. I think it's called a proscenium, but that doesn't seem right when I do a search on the forum. Does anyone understand what I'm talking about? The curved area that has some lights shining on the screen?
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page