Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-08-2013, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

It's been probably more than a decade since I've posted on AVS. HOLY CRAP! The amount of new info is unreal!

I'm gonna be nailing a bunch of 2x4s together soon for a new theater and would like to have a rack on hand. The front of the rack will be flush with a finished wall in the back of the theater while the back of the rack will be accessible via a closet door. I'm looking at a 29U to 37U height. The rack will very likely be elevated above the floor sort of like what "Borntobe" did here

Does anybody know which Middle Atlantic rack model would work best in this type of install? What depth is preferable? What accessories helped most with wire management, power distribution, etc. What was your framing and mounting technique?

TIA!
monsoon

Even Frederick thought his grandfather's work was doodoo before he gave it a stab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-08-2013, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 335
See the AXS solution I used in my build. The Middle Atlantic website has full architectural specs for the racks, dimensions, everything. You can build safely using their paperwork without seeing the rack in person.

Mine is elevated and is a pull-out AXS. I had the enclosure framed and drywalled, which I would not do again. build the area like a cabinet, as the rough framing/drywall will have variations (lack of square / plumb) that can cause issues. Mine will scrape against the side wall if I don't protect it, and the gap around the opening was too inconsistent for me to fill it in with the brush gasket.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Jeff,

If you didn't need the slide-out feature would you have chosen a different model? I'll have 24/7 access to the rear which will let me hard mount a rack either to a DIY pedistool or bracket it direct to studs, or a variation of both. I guess I'm wondering if any of the models come with something like a vertical aluminum or steel angle mounted to the sides that allows you to screw directly to he backside of studs and is adjustabe for finished depth (ie 5/8" over 1/2" drywall)? That wouldn't be hoping for to much, would it? ;-)

Even Frederick thought his grandfather's work was doodoo before he gave it a stab
post #4 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Certainly wouldn't use the pull-out if I could get behind the rack - it would be redundant, and a fixed rack would be cheaper and easier to cable.

There are some folks that built racks into the framing here (see the 'show me your rack' thread), but those I believe were all DIY solutions using rack parts. The easiest solution is just a Slim5 rack (or another model) with a framed opening into the room, with a platform built to set the rack at the proper height. That way the rack is all 'standard' and you'll have no issues with weight, movement, etc.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Check out your local Craigslist for racks. You can find some really cheap racks there. Also, if you are not sure what size you will need, err on the larger size. It's a lot easer to put some blanks or drawers on than to try to fit in some extra spaces.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #6 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I don't recommend screwing the side rails of the rack to anything. It will distort the rack. Racks are designed to be free standing. Best method is to simply use the platform as described above, and use leveling screw feet if necessary.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The Slim5 is what I keep going back to when I'm loitering at Mid Atlantic's site - seems I've made a decision. :-)

Hadn't thought about leveling feet. I was stuck on a bolt-up solution to keep the rack frame flush with a finished wall. Leveling feet should do the trick nicely!

I went back in time to see when my last posts were... April of '07... Seems like longer! A lot of my old posts dealt with giving advice to others. Really good advice! So good that I immediately began to wonder if my user name had expired and someone else was using it! Being without a theater for nearly 10 years has led to a serious brain-dump of all the HT knowledge I think I might have once had.

I feel like a noob again! You guys are going to be priceless to me over the next 6 or so months.

Thanks All

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page