How to hang wall mount speakers on clips and channel - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-09-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I'm building a theater in my new house, about to hang drywall. Have clips + channel + 2 layers 5/8" drywall with green glue spec'd for all walls and ceiling.

I bought the Klipsch THX Ultra2 system (via a great deal from Will at HiFi Heaven) and have the fronts planned behind the screen, sides/rears mounted up high per advice from Erskine group.

But how do I actually hang the speakers?

They're heavy (15-20 lbs each) and have omnimount holes. But if I drill the mounts into the studs, doesn't this compromise a large part of the soundproofing? Sound would vibrate right thru the mount to the framing. Or, are there rubber mounts, grommets, or something else that maintains the decoupling?

They're too heavy to just hang on the drywall, even if drilled into the channel. Seems like this would be a common issue but all my searches are coming up empty.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-09-2013, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Not sure if this is the correct answer or not, but I used these drywall anchors for my side and rear surround mounting brackets.

Toggler Anchors

They are rated for up to 79lbs. I used 4 per mount. Even if you go with their 1/4 max load per anchor recommendation, that still puts it at 80lbs so I feel pretty good about mine.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-09-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I have used the toggler bolts as well. Very sturdy and easy to use. When doing the full meal deal on sound proofing most build columns to hild the surround speakers to avoid exactly what you described.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page