Finishing out my home theatre (amature build lol) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 01-11-2013, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The room is finished, added more pictures on post 26 here

We moved into a new house and built a dedicated home theatre. The room is 16x22 and we had it pre wired for 7.1. In our old house we had our media room setup in a small bedroom and we transferred our old stuff from the old house into the new house and now I am upgarding everything but the audio.

Old setup:
Samsung 72" DLP
Yamaha HTR-5890
Klipsch F-3 F-3 Floorstanding speakers
Klipsch C-3 Center Speaker
Klipsch S-3 Surround Speakers
Klipsch Sub-12 Subwoofer
Samsung Blu-ray Player BD-C5500
3- Ashley Furniture black leather director chairs

New setup:
Elite screens 135" screen (16:9), CineWhite 1.1 Gain
Epson 8350 projector
Yamaha HTR-5890
Klipsch F-3 F-3 Floorstanding speakers
Klipsch C-3 Center Speaker
Klipsch S-3 Surround Speakers
Klipsch Sub-12 Subwoofer
Samsung Blu-ray Player BD-C5500
Front row seating: 4 Seatcraft Rialto Home Theater Seats with Dual Love Seats
Back row seating: 4 Seatcraft Rialto Back Row Home Theater Seats with built in riser

Old 72" vs. new 135"

Waiting on the seating to be delivered, I am about to paint the room. I am thinking red with black trim/doors. Opinions? Same colors as this:

I am looking at this carpet:

Any reccomendations on who to buy the carpet from? I am looking at AV outlet. I will update with pics. Thanks.

Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 01-11-2013, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Not sure where you can get that carpet from, but for me it’s way too busy and doesn’t look like it matches well with the red/black theme. A nice darker gray carpet would look great IMO.

Check this thread out if you haven’t already – looks like someone else has that carpet.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1000076/show-me-your-carpet

post #3 of 33 Old 01-11-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 96
To minimize the visual impact of that door on your screen wall, you might want to make the entire front wall black (including the door) and the side and back walls red. Were you thinking of red or black for the ceiling?

I agree that either a solid carpet or one with a simple pattern would work better in your room. The "theater" carpet is very busy and doesn't seem as sophisticated as the red/black combo.
post #4 of 33 Old 01-11-2013, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

I was thinking red for the ceiling. But I could do black on the wall with the screen and make the door black also. Quick photoshop LOL
post #5 of 33 Old 01-11-2013, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Hello and welcome. You have come to the right place. First off nice setup. You will love the 8350, it is a great PJ for the price. Should light up that 135" screen pretty well. I would use eco/cinema mode first then as the bulb dims you can bump it up to normal/living room mode. Black and red is a classic theater color combo. I would (if you can) paint your screen wall/ceiling black and the other walls the red.

I was going to use that exact same carpet for my riser, but it is very expensive or at least it was a year ago and it truly is a busy carpet. If you wanted to incorporate a themed type of carpet a riser (if you ever do one) would be a great way to do that. Other wise I will say I agree with the the others that a more "subtle" carpet might be better for the entire area. I still went with a "theater type carpet" for my riser for a little fun, but I chose a more cost effective option. Pic of my riser here.

Is there a riser in your room or are you counting on the built in risers in the chairs? If you are relying on the built in risers in the seats they may not be tall enough for the back row to see over the front row. Something to think about.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #6 of 33 Old 01-14-2013, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Hello and welcome. You have come to the right place. First off nice setup. You will love the 8350, it is a great PJ for the price. Should light up that 135" screen pretty well. I would use eco/cinema mode first then as the bulb dims you can bump it up to normal/living room mode. Black and red is a classic theater color combo. I would (if you can) paint your screen wall/ceiling black and the other walls the red.

I was going to use that exact same carpet for my riser, but it is very expensive or at least it was a year ago and it truly is a busy carpet. If you wanted to incorporate a themed type of carpet a riser (if you ever do one) would be a great way to do that. Other wise I will say I agree with the the others that a more "subtle" carpet might be better for the entire area. I still went with a "theater type carpet" for my riser for a little fun, but I chose a more cost effective option. Pic of my riser here.

Is there a riser in your room or are you counting on the built in risers in the chairs? If you are relying on the built in risers in the seats they may not be tall enough for the back row to see over the front row. Something to think about.

Regards,

RTROSE

There is a riser in the room It is one step. You can see it in the picture of the 3 old media chairs. I wanted to make sure that the seats with the built in riser and the step would clear the first row.

I did decide to add columns, crown, chair rail, and trim. I am going to add rope/led lighting in the crown and was looking at getting it from htlights. I need about 25' per side. Any reccomendations?

Here is where I am at now:

Ignore the choppines of the panorama pic

post #7 of 33 Old 01-15-2013, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

All the wood work is done, just have to caulk and paint. Any reccomendations for led/rope light?

post #8 of 33 Old 01-17-2013, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Primed the columns and painting the room tonight. I have the new media chairs in my garage until we are done painting.

post #9 of 33 Old 01-17-2013, 04:32 PM

Looks great so far! Also, if you're looking to get rid of your old seats and are in the MD area, please let me know. smile.gif

__________________________________________________ ______

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1415464/aa...sement-theater
post #10 of 33 Old 01-17-2013, 04:48 PM

Nice Setup!! Where did you source the columns? Also, how high is the ceiling in your basement?
post #11 of 33 Old 01-17-2013, 05:12 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Nice woodwork indeed. Classic look.
post #12 of 33 Old 01-17-2013, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronN View Post

Looks great so far! Also, if you're looking to get rid of your old seats and are in the MD area, please let me know. smile.gif

Thanks! I live between Dallas and Fort Worth in Southlake, TX. I posted my old seats on craigslist and sold them in one hour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi30882 View Post

Nice Setup!! Where did you source the columns? Also, how high is the ceiling in your basement?

No basement, the media room is on the second floor of my house above the garage. I built the columns with 5/8" 8'x4' MDF, this is the house btw..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Nice woodwork indeed. Classic look.

Thanks! Started the painting tonight! Anyone in the DFW area want to help paint this weekend LOL. The room will be all black and red, the white and tan is unpainted for now.

post #13 of 33 Old 01-19-2013, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

More paint..

post #14 of 33 Old 01-21-2013, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

About 95% done. Have to change out the light switches and plugs for black and touch up some paint.

post #15 of 33 Old 01-21-2013, 03:12 PM

Really looking great! Do you happen to have a link for those sconces? I've been looking for something similar but everything seems to be oil-rubbed bronze and I'm looking for black.

__________________________________________________ ______

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1415464/aa...sement-theater
post #16 of 33 Old 01-21-2013, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronN View Post

Really looking great! Do you happen to have a link for those sconces? I've been looking for something similar but everything seems to be oil-rubbed bronze and I'm looking for black.

Those sconces are oil-rubbed bronze. I am going to spray them black...
post #17 of 33 Old 01-23-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Very nice, it is all coming together for sure. Love the red and black, true classic theater colors for sure. Beautiful home you have, love the roof lines of the home. Nice shoutout to AVS too!

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #18 of 33 Old 01-24-2013, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Super quick transformation! Nice job, Enjoy!

How does the Epson do for that screen size?

post #19 of 33 Old 01-24-2013, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Looks great! We have black and red as well but you took it up a notch...gives me a few ideas..
post #20 of 33 Old 01-25-2013, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 54
looking good... did we talk you out of that carpet??? smile.gif

post #21 of 33 Old 01-25-2013, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
My wife and I love your low profile columns. Do you happen to have a plan or diagram that you could share for building them?

post #22 of 33 Old 01-25-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
I think that carpet will look MUCH better in there given your last couple of pics.

Try Ken at Stargate Cinema. I THINK that carpet is made by the same company that made my carpet and one thing to condisder regarding price is that that carpet MAY be "4 meter." that puts it at 13' wide instead of 12'. If you were to lay in two sections across the room room, you would only need two widths instead of three of 12' carpet. That is a LOT less waste that you'd be paying for. Remember....you're paying for ALL of the carpet needed for the install, not just what ACTUALLY gets installed.

You may want to get an installer out to take measurements and give you advice BEFORE you buy. I had a buddy that could install it and the first thing he said when he saw that my room was 12'3", was "get 4 meter carpet."

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #23 of 33 Old 01-25-2013, 10:26 AM

Great transformation! Love the paint choices. I have to ask if you've considered adding sound absorption? Black panels on the screen wall and a couple on the sides would go a long way.

Doug
Terra Ceia, FL

post #24 of 33 Old 01-30-2013, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucsroom View Post

Great transformation! Love the paint choices. I have to ask if you've considered adding sound absorption? Black panels on the screen wall and a couple on the sides would go a long way.

Yes, maybe it is something I can add later on, the room sounds great as is.

Well its about 98% done. I changed out all the light switches and electrical outlets for black and installed a movie poster dimmable lightbox with a double sided 27x40 Dark Knight Rises poster, I also installed warm white LED strip lights from Hitlights.com in the crown, on the step and under all the media chairs.

post #25 of 33 Old 01-30-2013, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

I think that carpet will look MUCH better in there given your last couple of pics.

Try Ken at Stargate Cinema. I THINK that carpet is made by the same company that made my carpet and one thing to condisder regarding price is that that carpet MAY be "4 meter." that puts it at 13' wide instead of 12'. If you were to lay in two sections across the room room, you would only need two widths instead of three of 12' carpet. That is a LOT less waste that you'd be paying for. Remember....you're paying for ALL of the carpet needed for the install, not just what ACTUALLY gets installed.

You may want to get an installer out to take measurements and give you advice BEFORE you buy. I had a buddy that could install it and the first thing he said when he saw that my room was 12'3", was "get 4 meter carpet."

I agree, but I will be installing it myself whatever I get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittletank View Post

My wife and I love your low profile columns. Do you happen to have a plan or diagram that you could share for building them?

I just built them with 5/8" 4'x8' MDF. The columns are 8' tall and 5" wide. Just cut the MDF to size and used my brad nail gun to nail the sides to the face. I attached it to the wall with brad nails along the sides then caulked the sides and added the trim and moulding on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjason View Post

Looks great! We have black and red as well but you took it up a notch...gives me a few ideas..

Thanks!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAd13 View Post

looking good... did we talk you out of that carpet??? smile.gif

Lol still undecided for now on the carpet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32 View Post

Super quick transformation! Nice job, Enjoy!

How does the Epson do for that screen size?

Love the Epson, running it in dynamic and it is about 17' from the screen and it looks great.
post #26 of 33 Old 02-02-2013, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

The room is complete, going to hold off on the carpet for now.

post #27 of 33 Old 02-02-2013, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Where is that Batman poster and frame from?

post #28 of 33 Old 02-02-2013, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

The frame is from here:

http://hometheaterseat.htroom.com/home-theater-decor-posterframes.htm

Curved Poster Frame - $299.00

This poster frame comes with white inserts, or colored inserts for the vertical film strip accents bordering the poster. Any 27" x 40" poster will fit in these poster boxes. Includes fluorescent tube, non glare front panel, black and white and color film strips and hangers for grid wall, slat wall, solid wall or ceiling installation

The Batman poster is a theatre used double sided 27x40 poster from eBay I got for $30.
post #29 of 33 Old 02-03-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Love the lighted poster boxes. The room really came together and looks fantastic. Nicely done! As a side note when someone posts a screen shot I'm usually pretty good at figuring out what it's from. Your screen shot though is one I'm having difficulty with, what is it from?

Regards,

RTROSE

post #30 of 33 Old 02-03-2013, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Love the lighted poster boxes. The room really came together and looks fantastic. Nicely done! As a side note when someone posts a screen shot I'm usually pretty good at figuring out what it's from. Your screen shot though is one I'm having difficulty with, what is it from?

Regards,

RTROSE

Thanks! That screen shot is from this Red Bull commercial at :18.

http://m.redbullusa.com/op/rbcom2/us/mcat/video/1243298843093
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page