Selling house, what to do with current state of theater build? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 01-14-2013, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I posted this in my theead as well but wanted to get more feedback.

Well I haven't updated or worked on the room for a while because we might be selling our home, we have purchased some land out of town and will be building a new home, might not be til next spring, but am struggling on what I should do with the room.

A) Finish room to my original plans by April and enjoy it for a year.

B) Finish room to the bare bones standard, ei: no riser/stage/columns, keep all existing equipment and don't spend anymore money than I have to in order to complete the room.

C) Turn room into just a media room, not a dedicated theater, hang existing projector and install screen on wall. Paint the walls and roof to a neutral color and be done with it.

Finding it really hard since I put in so much work thus far to this point. I could save any materials I have, for the new build in the new house. Or I can complete the room to my plans and offer a fully dedicated room to the new buyers? Would this increase the value of my home? Should i leave the room as is for the new owners to do as they please?

Stuck and need some suggestions!

Thanks

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-14-2013, 05:19 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 686
C
post #3 of 23 Old 01-14-2013, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Just finish the room as it stands. Now if there are no windows in it, and it is on a outer wall, you may be forced to cut one in for secondary egress, so that it can be used as a habitable space, if the new owners wish to do so.
post #4 of 23 Old 01-14-2013, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 264
I agree with BIG, C looks like the best option.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #5 of 23 Old 01-14-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I would do as little as possible, but still make sure the room looks like it has a purpose. Like any other room, you don't want potential buyers standing there scratching their heads wondering what to do with your space. If you plan on throwing your projector and screen in there, "stage" it like a basic media room that you would see in a model home (not like one you would see on AVS). You'll get some great mileage from a comfy sectional, a few movie posters and a kid-friendly pic playing for all of your showings/open house.
post #6 of 23 Old 01-14-2013, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

I would do as little as possible, but still make sure the room looks like it has a purpose. Like any other room, you don't want potential buyers standing there scratching their heads wondering what to do with your space. If you plan on throwing your projector and screen in there, "stage" it like a basic media room that you would see in a model home (not like one you would see on AVS). You'll get some great mileage from a comfy sectional, a few movie posters and a kid-friendly pic playing for all of your showings/open house.

This.
post #7 of 23 Old 01-14-2013, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:

Bingo
post #8 of 23 Old 01-14-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I vote C as well. Most will appreciate a media or multi purpose room more than a dedicated space especially if they see that they could repurpose the room with little effort.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #9 of 23 Old 01-14-2013, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The less a new buyer has to do to a house, the happier the wife usually is.
post #10 of 23 Old 01-14-2013, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

Another vote for C. And the average guy (not on AVS) will see the "great theater" and think it adds al ot to the house's appeal cool.gif
post #11 of 23 Old 01-14-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 59
post #12 of 23 Old 01-14-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepus View Post

The less a new buyer has to do to a house, the happier the wife usually is.

That too.
post #13 of 23 Old 01-14-2013, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I would do a variation of C.

Being in the USAF I have moved a lot over the years. Long ago I decided that life is too short to settle or not have the things we would have in a permanent residence. For example I encourage my wife to paint any room she wants to knowing full well that I will have to return it to off white when we leave. The same goes for my home theater.
I would make the theater how I want to use it for the next year and a half. If that means two rows with a riser that will be removed later then so be it. However I would make sure that any furniture I bought for this theater would be used in the next as well. I would skip the green glue and DD if it hasn’t already been done but I would want to be able to use my theater and be happy with it until I moved.

post #14 of 23 Old 01-14-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 113
Oh man, sorry to hear that (Only that you might lose the work you've put into it so far) and at the same time, congrats!

I also vote for option C.

Though I do agree with alittletank in some ways, you really want to take the route of least investment in this case. You will not get anything close to your money back, in some cases, it may not add any actual value to your house at all, and it can add up to a significant time and money sink of what you put into it. I'd to the absolute minimum from here to finish the room. Paint, carpet, maybe some simple trim. You could even consider the option of installing some inexpensive in-wall speakers. To be honest, my wife did that in her last house, and it actually sounded ok. All you really need is a couch, a dark room, sound, and a projector and most people will be very impressed. Many of us on this forum just take it many levels beyond that because we get more enjoyment out of making it better. Even if I purchased a house with a theater in it already, I'd be mentally picking it apart on day one seeing what I'd re-do in it because it wasn't to MY personal specs. But usually most people looking into buying a home will just say "Oh cool, a movie room!" regardless of how well it was done. Save your cash for your next place!

That being said, you used the word MIGHT in your first post... figure out what you are doing and once you do that, make the call. Building a house from scratch would provide a very unique opportunity to have your perfectly tailored theater "space" made for you. An area of the basement with a higher ceiling or a lowered floor, etc.
post #15 of 23 Old 01-14-2013, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Going to go with what most of you guys recommended. Just sucks that I didn't know I was gonna do this a few years ago, I would of left room as it was, although I have done quite a bit, the amount of knowledge I gained will be very useful on the next build.

Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

post #16 of 23 Old 01-14-2013, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just gotta figure how I am going to finish it, I almost still need to build soffit for hvac and lights and columns for plugs or else I have to start opening up my shell I spent so much time and effort building.

Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

post #17 of 23 Old 01-14-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I also vote for C. You can still point out to the realtor all the work that has been done for soundproofing (everybody understands what soundproofing means). That could be a plus for a buyer, and if not.. nothing lost.

You can still make a nice looking media room with minimal effort, which surely wouldn't decrease the resale value. Bonus points if the room could be repurposed for something else.

Tim
post #18 of 23 Old 01-14-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

I also vote for C. You can still point out to the realtor all the work that has been done for soundproofing (everybody understands what soundproofing means). That could be a plus for a buyer, and if not.. nothing lost.

Better still, document the stuff you've done and make a small poster to leave in the room explaining it. *Your* realtor won't be there when buyers are looking, and you don't want to rely on them to relay that info (in the listing, in conversation with other realtors, or otherwise).

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #19 of 23 Old 01-15-2013, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Jautor is right, but don't just leave it for room itself, leave one for the whole house. We just sold our house 6 months ago, and I wrote up a flier for people to read or take, the realtor wrote something up, it was flashy but people didn't take his they took ours. If you do end up selling, people will appreciate the info. ie garbage/recycling day, where the mail is if you have a community mail box, tell something about the neighbours and the neighbourhood. These usually go to show people that you care about the house and you are leaving for real reasons, not for problems you have had in it. Also leave wrapped candy on the table...
post #20 of 23 Old 01-18-2013, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Any advice on how to finish my room? As far as lights/plug ins/hvac?

Since there are minimal holes in my shell, the planned way was to run 12/2 cable thru all my columns/soffit and riser for plug ins and 12/2 cable in light tray for lights, should i still build the soffit/light tray/columns as planned?

So much to think about.

Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

post #21 of 23 Old 01-18-2013, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
C, but... build a closet along one wall, that way it counts as an extra bedroom, that you're currently using as a media room. More bedrooms, more money.
post #22 of 23 Old 01-18-2013, 06:00 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Code in my area now requires basement bedrooms to each have an emergency egress window (Or door). Looking at the picture the window looks too small and too high to qualify.
post #23 of 23 Old 01-18-2013, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yah not making into a bedroom, house already has 5. Gonna make it into a media room, just gotta figure out how, now that I have a soundproofed shell and no lights, plugins or hvac...

Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page