Hi there pepl..
We'r building a home theater. The construction part is easy but the audio/video part is a bit of a nightmare. We love great sound, movie fx that shaters your spine
. So far our audio setup has been the standard 5.1 in the livingroom out of the box setup. We have a ton of questions that we hope you freaks can help us with
The budget for the audio/video is about 20.000$. We would preffer AV equipment that is easily availiable in europe, eBay and oversea bying is a possibility but the customs tax on imports are insane
Here is a general layout:
The Room:What we want:
A theater that is scalable. Future speaker configurations and placement. Ability to upgrade recivers etc to meet newer audio/video standards etc.The theater will be built as a standard box. The interior and deco will be built as a phone cover (easy to change).
The theater must be 99% wife (easy use) & iPhone/Pad compatibel!
We emphasize on the movie experience BUT i like listening to music to..Construction
General construction will be 1 layer of chipboard as a base and then 2 layers of drywall for sound damping.
We know the room is a bit of a tunnel, We can place a wall somewhere but will damping be an option? and what would be our bigest problem?Watt:
1) Why is it that one need's more power than one uses on average? Has it to do with peaks?
2) Our room is 3,4 x 8 x 2,45 metic (inches: W:133,86 - L:314,96 H:96,45) The room can be shortened. What is the preffered watt amount per channel/speaker? (wery high volume is not important)Subwoofer:
Alot of people have 2 sub’s (right and left) why is that?
Should we have a freestanding amp for my sub(s) or would one preffer a built in solution (Like Velodyne etc)Front speaker config:
I have a friend with a pair of JBL Array 1400 and I love the sound. Another friend has a pair of old JBL K2 (JBL Synthesis setup) and I find the sound to sharp. The new K2’s has a great sound! We find that JBL in general give us the sound we love! only one tiny
problem ... price
What is the optimal film/music config/setup for our budget and ears? (Front and suround speakers + subs)Surround, back og Presens:
May I place the back speaker in the roof and tilt them or must I place them on floorstands?
I have configured low and high channels (19) and a sub channel in each corner (4). Is that a bit nutts? For the future what would be more than enough? (see under)Channels:
Left, right and center front = 6 channels
Surround left & right = 4 channels
Back left & right = 4 channels
Back center = 1 channelAmps, preAmps and recivers:
1) Are the a major difference in audio quality from power amplifiers? (JBL, Crown, Rotel etc)
2) I’v read alot about the Lexicon brand and I understand JBL are using their processors in their Synthesis systems. One can change the «inners» of it, should I consider other brands / solutions?Wiring & pluggs:
1) Why is it that moust pro equipment are using XLR & SPK plugs?
2) Do we have to use 3-lead wires with these systems?
3) What cind of wire would You recomend (this is cheap to import from the US)
4) Every cable will be stretch in a plastic tube for easyer upgrade at a later stage. The tubes are available 16,20,30++ millimeters (inches: 0,62 - 0,78 - 1,18 +) For most wire the 16 would be enough but should i use 20mm? (HDMI will go in 40mm pipe)Damping:
What cind of damping should I have and why?Projector:
We have tried PJ’s from JVC and find them really great, are ther others on a lower pricepoint with the same visual quality?
Any thoughts realy.
I'm terrible sorry for my horible orthography.