Possible Design Change (in planning stage)??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-20-2013, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello good people. I'm thinking it's time for a design change. Version 1.1 was a 10 ft X 21 ft room. I wasn't crazy about the width of the room as I want to be able to get 3 seats in the first row and a couch on a riser behind that. After looking at some amazing HT's in the show me thread, I thought I could build around the pole coming down in the middle of the space,

What I didn't like about 1.1 is the landing coming in from the hallway. That would make for a 10ft wide room no matter what. The entrance is from the hallway which has a step down coming from the hall part. The landing zone would have 3 doors (1 to theatre, 2 to storage)

2.0 has the main entrance at the end of the hallway with no landing. The screen wall will still be 10ft wide, but this would give me a lot more room for walking around the seating (I could take the edge of the seating to the 10ft mark without disturbing the line of sight to the screen). I would have an extra 5 ft to have room to move around for about half the space of the room.

What do y'all think? What am I not thinking about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-21-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable chimes in for you. I would say it is usually a good idea to get more width if you can. I do not know what the audio implications are for going with those dimensions. That is what I would try to find out. Most importantly how will it affect the sound getting to your ears from your front 3. I would think the surround channels will be fine after you adjust for the necessary delay (but not sure). The extra space gives you more room to put in large subwoofers and as you said potentially more seating. However, I am not sure you can put more seating in there and expect to get good coverage coming from your front 3 speakers. Generally speaking it is wise to stay away from boundaries when deciding where to put your seats. So you need to be prepared for any seat near the side walls to have wild fluctuations in frequency response. Are you planning to put in a second row? You have 21 feet to work with so why not? With that kind of length you could do a false wall and AT screen too.

What is in that room next to where the screen will be? If it is really unfinished storage like it says and you have other storage available to you...........

Good luck
post #3 of 5 Old 01-21-2013, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I will most definitely have 2 rows. The unfinished storage will give me a 5x11 storage room.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-21-2013, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is this going to be a new house, or is it already an unfinished basement? I would check out the dimensions of the furniture you are wanting to place in there. Determine how far back you are going to be sitting (ie couch against wall?), and you might want to see where your speaker locations are going to be. If you have speakers on the back wall, you may not want to have the couch right against it. You could always take out the unfinished storage and make your room a little shorter, giving you your back closet as storage.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-21-2013, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

This is in my existing house 2nd floor. The unfinishedw storrage has a roof support pole in it and that is what is preventing me from having a 14x21 room. Attached are some pics of the area:

The closet on the right has unfinished storage also. when i say unfinished the flooring is down just bare studs.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page