Need advice on attaching black velvet to wall. - Page 2 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
post #31 of 40 Old 02-03-2013, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 367
With all the wonderful advice that I received from you guys I did what you told me to do. I made the panels and wrapped them with the velvet and it came out great! Here is a pic of how it turned out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 02-03-2013, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 90

Nice job!

EDIT:   Get a stand for that center channel though! wink.gif

post #33 of 40 Old 02-03-2013, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Ok. My wall is already black so i don't need to worry about that. When you guys are talking about a snug press fit, I am assuming that the screen is the center piece that all the frames are pressed against and the ceiling and adjacent walls are the other points? If so, than that is way easier than expected. Maybe I can fill each panal with some sound dampening material to help accoustically?? Is that a good idea or scratch that?

It's so awesome when the light bulb moment goes off, isn't it? wink.gif
post #34 of 40 Old 02-07-2013, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Here are shots of velvet stapled directly to the drywall. The wall is 12' wide and the upper edge is 1/4 birch ply I had leftover.with fabric stapled to the back and then brad nailed to the wall. The velvet was then stapled on the sides and where the screen would hide it. Second strip was done the same way and stapled where the base trim would hide it and around the outlets for my powered speakers.

C1CB1D36-5E0C-49F8-832E-D12B2C0971F7-243-00000024AC626961_zps368dd760.jpg
1AE24A7F-DF20-436A-8D2F-5D267B28585D-243-00000024C078D991_zps85e6a1cc.jpg

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #35 of 40 Old 06-17-2015, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Pain Infliction - I am assuming that your name refers to the pain that my favorite two players that are my AVS name inflicted on the then Houston Oilers?

Your screen wall turned out great and I am interested in doing the same. What type and what size wood did you use for your strips? I am not a carpenter and the only biscuits I know of I eat. So how did you connect your wood pieces together? I hope you get this message and respond. It will be an interesting season to "really" see if culture beats scheme. (and talent) I look forward to your response.
post #36 of 40 Old 06-21-2015, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes46-andre20 View Post
Pain Infliction - I am assuming that your name refers to the pain that my favorite two players that are my AVS name inflicted on the then Houston Oilers?

Your screen wall turned out great and I am interested in doing the same. What type and what size wood did you use for your strips? I am not a carpenter and the only biscuits I know of I eat. So how did you connect your wood pieces together? I hope you get this message and respond. It will be an interesting season to "really" see if culture beats scheme. (and talent) I look forward to your response.

Sorry I just saw this. Hahaha, that's funny! Yea, I am curious to see if Chip is really a genius or if he is crazy. We shall see soon!

I used furring strips to make my panels. The 1" thick furring strips and I glued them together with PL Premium. It worked out great actually. The PL Premium is some really solid stuff and I make subwoofer boxes out of it, so it will not come apart for sure. Then I just got some velvet and stapled the crap out of it all the way around and it was done. Easy peasy!
post #37 of 40 Old 06-21-2015, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow! Looking back at that last picture that I posted in this thread, my theater has changed a lot!
post #38 of 40 Old 06-22-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
Wow! Looking back at that last picture that I posted in this thread, my theater has changed a lot!
Thanks Pain Infliction. Every time I think I have budget my last dime, another "minor" expense comes up but I think the black light absorbing wall is worth it! Your build has turned out great and it encourages me.

I am with you on Chip. Either he is a genius revolutionizing coaching in the NFL or he is a better organized Steve Spurrier who will eventually go back to college for total control. Only time will tell. I still miss those old hard hitting Buddy Ryan defenses though!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	House of pain pix.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	790010  
Pain Infliction likes this.
post #39 of 40 Old 06-22-2015, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes46-andre20 View Post
I still miss those old hard hitting Buddy Ryan defenses though!
I remember watching one of Buddy's Coach's shows that went like this (I forget exactly who the player-guest was):

Interviewer: Coach, it's been said that you're not close to your players. What's this guy's name?
Buddy: Hey, You!
Interviewer: What's his last name?
Buddy: Number 47.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

The Yellow Dog Cinema and Draft House
post #40 of 40 Unread Today, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post
I remember watching one of Buddy's Coach's shows that went like this (I forget exactly who the player-guest was):

Interviewer: Coach, it's been said that you're not close to your players. What's this guy's name?
Buddy: Hey, You!
Interviewer: What's his last name?
Buddy: Number 47.
Buddy rarely remembered names so he called them by their number - except if you were real good. He knew Reggie, Seth, Wes, Andre, Jerome, and even Golic. Man i loved that team!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page