My frames are Velcro free. The bottoms sit on the floor (one on the top edge of the screen) it takes very little to hold them in an upright position. You may need to paint the wall black so that any gaps between panels are hidden in the shadows. You may need mid span supports to resist bowing caused by fabric tension.
I was planning to use velcro but as BigmouthinDC mentions, a press fit is the way to go. It's amazing just how good (or bad depending on how you look at it) velcro can be in this case. I only have velcro on one of the smaller pieces below the screen. The rest are snug fit and I don't have any issue with them staying in place.
I used Guilford of Maine FR701 black material. It's an acoustically transparent material. In my case, only the subwoofer is outside of the AT screen but I still thought using GOM was the best way to go. I got 5 yards for under $100 delivered and it's pretty easy to work with but YMMV.
Now you can rip some wood for your panels. Take some ripped pieces and test fit a corner. Once I test fit, I actually started building the panel by screwing the pieces together and before you know it the whole wall will be framed by wood panels. Mark them (left corner , right corner.. center.. etc.) and then take them down and starting stapling the fabric to the panels... Then hang your screen in the center of the wall.. (on top of the fabric frames)
You also can take a look at the "Fabric Frames" Thread for pics..
P.S. - you should color your wood panels black. That helped with my own black velvet panel install..
I'll be stapling velvet directly to the wall so I'll let you know how it works. My speakers will rest on shelves mounted to the screen wall making fabric panels difficult. The staples on the left and right will be hidden by fabric panels on the side walls and the top staples will be on the soffit so not very visible.
It shouldn't be too difficult. Why not incorporate in-wall speakers in the fabric panel(s)...?
IMG-20130122-00175.jpg 109k .jpg file
This should give you a idea. But the wood should be even with the panel and staples going around it.
IMG-20130122-00177.jpg 117k .jpg file
Testing the motorized curtain I installed last week with a scrap piece of black velvet. ...
IMG-20130122-00178.jpg 98k .jpg file
I already have my 7.1 system which I'll be keeping. I actually think it should be fairly easy. Just roll the velvet over at the top and staple from the back side of the velvet along the soffit/wall line then I'll staple along the side walls which will have acoustic panels and will hide those staples. Do the same for next row which will be near the bottom of the wall (only 6’6” between soffit and floor) and staple below the baseboard line; shouldn’t see one staple.
Here is a diagram to show where my floating/bracketed shelves will be.
And here is a shot that gives you an idea of the actual space. I should be ready in the next week or two so I’ll update this thread with my success or failure pics.
The screen above is just painted drywall and the velvet border will be removed shortly. Once the velvet is stapled on then the new screen can be hung
My Theater Update: Adjust the miter saw to cut 47 degree angle and continue to cut moulding...
and replace the blower motor in the pickup..
Again the sides would be stapled from the front side of the fabric on the side walls because those will be hidden by acoustic panels above the wainscot. Where I will need to staple along the wainscot at the bottom the staples will be visible so I'll either hide that with a trim piece or just use a permanent marker.
If you staple some stiff cardboard inside the fold you will get a better result.
That was one option I was thinking of. I have a lot of left over ¼ birch ply and I could staple to the back of that and then use the nail gun to attach the ply to the joint of the wall/soffit. Then I could continue on as I had planned originally.
Curtains are another option although I want the front wall to disappear except for the screen and speaker shelves.