Need advice on attaching black velvet to wall. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 01-20-2013, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 196
I Ordered the black velvet to put on my screen wall and have done a little research on adhesives. It seems that the 3m spray adhesive works really well but the is an issue with the mess it makes. I dont want to hve the adhesive floating in the air and getting all over everything. Is there another option for me and any advice on the application? Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 01-20-2013, 03:44 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Wrap wood frames, staple on the backside and friction fit on the wall. If you mess up and they are too loose use some Velcro. Glue is forever, your screen is not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:

post #3 of 34 Old 01-20-2013, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the reply. I wanted to apply the velvet straight to the wall. This will not affect my screen if I choose to go with something else in the future because it will hang over the velvet. I just want to apply it like wall paper pretty much.

- Leon Phelps
post #4 of 34 Old 01-20-2013, 06:54 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Have fun!

PROJECTS:

post #5 of 34 Old 01-20-2013, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
biggrin.gif
post #6 of 34 Old 01-20-2013, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Well, you either glue it (see post one) or you staple it (see post two). I suppose you could also do fabric track as well.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

post #7 of 34 Old 01-20-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Damn. That looks good BIG.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #8 of 34 Old 01-21-2013, 07:55 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

The problem I see attaching fabric directly to the wall is what to do with the seams and edges. When you wrap something you get a nice straight fold and you can put two pieces next to each other and the seam is hard to spot. If you staple directly to the wall you need to hide the staples.

Thanks James!

PROJECTS:

post #9 of 34 Old 01-21-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I see what you are saying. I will see if I can come up with a way to do the panals.

- Leon Phelps
post #10 of 34 Old 01-21-2013, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 62

+1 on wrapping frames.  Do yourself a favor and get a good stapler while you're at it!

post #11 of 34 Old 01-21-2013, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Both of you have false walls though. I do not have a false wall. If I made the frames and wrapped them, would I use velcro to attach the frames to the wall?

- Leon Phelps
post #12 of 34 Old 01-21-2013, 09:47 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Depends. If you make the frames 1/8 inch smaller than the available space, once wrapped in fabric they will be snug enough to stay in place by themselves. If they don't want to stay, add SMALL DABS of Velcro along the tops. Staple the Velcro to the wall and the frames. Just to prepare yourself mentally. When you remove the panels it will pull the Velcro and the Staples off the wall.

My frames are Velcro free. The bottoms sit on the floor (one on the top edge of the screen) it takes very little to hold them in an upright position. You may need to paint the wall black so that any gaps between panels are hidden in the shadows. You may need mid span supports to resist bowing caused by fabric tension.

PROJECTS:

post #13 of 34 Old 01-21-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I was planning to use velcro but as BigmouthinDC mentions, a press fit is the way to go.  It's amazing just how good (or bad depending on how you look at it) velcro can be in this case.  I only have velcro on one of the smaller pieces below the screen.  The rest are snug fit and I don't have any issue with them staying in place.

post #14 of 34 Old 01-21-2013, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok. My wall is already black so i don't need to worry about that. When you guys are talking about a snug press fit, I am assuming that the screen is the center piece that all the frames are pressed against and the ceiling and adjacent walls are the other points? If so, than that is way easier than expected. Maybe I can fill each panal with some sound dampening material to help accoustically?? Is that a good idea or scratch that?

- Leon Phelps
post #15 of 34 Old 01-21-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I used Guilford of Maine FR701 black material.  It's an acoustically transparent material.  In my case, only the subwoofer is outside of the AT screen but I still thought using GOM was the best way to go.  I got 5 yards for under $100 delivered and it's pretty easy to work with but YMMV.

post #16 of 34 Old 01-21-2013, 01:35 PM

Your wall is black.. perfect..

Now you can rip some wood for your panels. Take some ripped pieces and test fit a corner. Once I test fit, I actually started building the panel by screwing the pieces together and before you know it the whole wall will be framed by wood panels. Mark them (left corner , right corner.. center.. etc.) and then take them down and starting stapling the fabric to the panels... Then hang your screen in the center of the wall.. (on top of the fabric frames)

You also can take a look at the "Fabric Frames" Thread for pics..

P.S. - you should color your wood panels black. That helped with my own black velvet panel install..
post #17 of 34 Old 01-21-2013, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That fabric frames thread is very good. I gues that i need to start buying some wood for making panals. This is why I ask question on this forum because I know that there will be an answer that will make me go the better way. Thank you Gentleman!

- Leon Phelps
post #18 of 34 Old 01-21-2013, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I'll be stapling velvet directly to the wall so I'll let you know how it works. My speakers will rest on shelves mounted to the screen wall making fabric panels difficult. The staples on the left and right will be hidden by fabric panels on the side walls and the top staples will be on the soffit so not very visible.

(flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #19 of 34 Old 01-21-2013, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was not going to do it thaqt way but I am very interested in how it turns out. Take some pictures if you can and post them. I love pictures and they do speak a thousand words.

- Leon Phelps
post #20 of 34 Old 01-22-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by design1stcode2nd View Post

I'll be stapling velvet directly to the wall so I'll let you know how it works. My speakers will rest on shelves mounted to the screen wall making fabric panels difficult. The staples on the left and right will be hidden by fabric panels on the side walls and the top staples will be on the soffit so not very visible.

It shouldn't be too difficult. Why not incorporate in-wall speakers in the fabric panel(s)...?
post #21 of 34 Old 01-22-2013, 08:20 PM

This is one of my front fabric panels (black velvet)... used 1" wood frames..

IMG-20130122-00175.jpg 109k .jpg file

design,
This should give you a idea. But the wood should be even with the panel and staples going around it.

IMG-20130122-00177.jpg 117k .jpg file

Testing the motorized curtain I installed last week with a scrap piece of black velvet. ...

IMG-20130122-00178.jpg 98k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20130122-00175.jpg (109.0 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20130122-00177.jpg (117.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20130122-00178.jpg (97.7 KB, 29 views)
post #22 of 34 Old 01-23-2013, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT_SoulMan View Post

It shouldn't be too difficult. Why not incorporate in-wall speakers in the fabric panel(s)...?

I already have my 7.1 system which I'll be keeping. I actually think it should be fairly easy. Just roll the velvet over at the top and staple from the back side of the velvet along the soffit/wall line then I'll staple along the side walls which will have acoustic panels and will hide those staples. Do the same for next row which will be near the bottom of the wall (only 6’6” between soffit and floor) and staple below the baseboard line; shouldn’t see one staple.

Here is a diagram to show where my floating/bracketed shelves will be.
screen-diagram_zps844b637a.jpg

And here is a shot that gives you an idea of the actual space. I should be ready in the next week or two so I’ll update this thread with my success or failure pics.
16C03B5E-DB49-49DD-96CE-90D94B99928A-1093-000001A526C8787B.jpg

The screen above is just painted drywall and the velvet border will be removed shortly. Once the velvet is stapled on then the new screen can be hung

(flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #23 of 34 Old 01-23-2013, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes please post when you are done. I will do the same when ever I finish mine. Still need to start.

- Leon Phelps
post #24 of 34 Old 01-23-2013, 05:51 PM

On the wall where your screen is mounted, you have a soffit running along the ceiling. If you are planning to attach the fabric to the screen wall only, you will have to work the fabric under the soffit, on the side of the soffit and up to the actual ceiling... unless I'm missing something.. Are you using a Fabric Mate System to install it?...

My Theater Update: Adjust the miter saw to cut 47 degree angle and continue to cut moulding...

and replace the blower motor in the pickup..mad.gif
post #25 of 34 Old 01-24-2013, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Is the plush triple velvet from SY Fabrics accoustically transparent?

- Leon Phelps
post #26 of 34 Old 01-24-2013, 05:58 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

No.

May be OK for subs, certainly not for your mains

PROJECTS:

post #27 of 34 Old 01-24-2013, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Is there any reason this wouldn't work?

screen_velvet_diagram_zps38c04c9c.jpg

Again the sides would be stapled from the front side of the fabric on the side walls because those will be hidden by acoustic panels above the wainscot. Where I will need to staple along the wainscot at the bottom the staples will be visible so I'll either hide that with a trim piece or just use a permanent marker.

(flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #28 of 34 Old 01-24-2013, 07:26 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

If you don't get a line of staples exactly straight the fold won't be straight.

If you staple some stiff cardboard inside the fold you will get a better result.

PROJECTS:

post #29 of 34 Old 01-24-2013, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Why not drape the fabric like curtains?

3eb2828d_vbattach71393.jpeg

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #30 of 34 Old 01-24-2013, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

If you don't get a line of staples exactly straight the fold won't be straight.

If you staple some stiff cardboard inside the fold you will get a better result.

That was one option I was thinking of. I have a lot of left over ¼ birch ply and I could staple to the back of that and then use the nail gun to attach the ply to the joint of the wall/soffit. Then I could continue on as I had planned originally.

Curtains are another option although I want the front wall to disappear except for the screen and speaker shelves.

(flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page