Elctrical PVC Gray Pipe on a tight corners - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-21-2013, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I'm running the electrical pvc with the gray pipes: http://thd.co/13Zv8Rg . When I'm trying to look for 90 degree fitting I only found this long ones: http://thd.co/SrY29V . I can't find a short one to be able to do it on my tights corner. Any help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-21-2013, 12:55 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 632
there is a reason why the conduit curves are sweeping. The tighter the turn the more resistance when pulling a cable. If you have two tight curves on a single run. the cable literally won't budge. Can you can re-evaluate your paths?

JEFF PARKINSON

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-21-2013, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 217
You need to use an ell to make a sharp 90degree turn. The ell has a removable cover where you pull the wires out and then go back in. They do make very small ells just for making turns.

Here's one at Lowes:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_193803-223-E990DRL_0__?productId=3128045&Ntt=PVC+Conduit+1-1%2F2-30D-SCH-40-COND-ELL

But as posted above, you can't pull through these. You must be able to get to it to remove the cover and snake the wires through. IOW, don't bury it in a wall and expect to pull the wires later.

Also if it matters, most electrical codes do not allow these to be inaccessible.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #4 of 7 Old 01-22-2013, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by amb1s1 View Post

Hi, I'm running the electrical pvc with the gray pipes: http://thd.co/13Zv8Rg . When I'm trying to look for 90 degree fitting I only found this long ones: http://thd.co/SrY29V . I can't find a short one to be able to do it on my tights corner. Any help?

The cheap and easy way around this problem is to go over to the plumbing department at the BIG ORANGE and find the WHITE plastic pipe fitting that will do what you want. I have done this several times but do caution you, as BIG did, about making your turns too sharp and/or kinking your wires. I have only done this with low voltage wiring and am not sure if you were to run 110 or 220 with the plumbing fittings that it would pass inspection.

BTW, I find the solution to BIG"S stuck wires in the conduct problem is "Ideal's" yellow wire pulling lubricant. This is also available at the the BIG ORANGE.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-22-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I found a way, I just choose another path. Thanks for your info.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-22-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan View Post

The cheap and easy way around this problem is to go over to the plumbing department at the BIG ORANGE and find the WHITE plastic pipe fitting that will do what you want. I have done this several times but do caution you, as BIG did, about making your turns too sharp and/or kinking your wires. I have only done this with low voltage wiring and am not sure if you were to run 110 or 220 with the plumbing fittings that it would pass inspection.

BTW, I find the solution to BIG"S stuck wires in the conduct problem is "Ideal's" yellow wire pulling lubricant. This is also available at the the BIG ORANGE.

You might get away with that pulling a cat 5 wire through 2in conduit but it's asking for trouble. And yes, using plumbing fittings in electrical work will not pass most codes. Plumbing is schedule 40 and electrical is schedule 80.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #7 of 7 Old 01-22-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 79
The most important question is why the conduit?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page