Can I use a RGB Controller for LED with a insteon switch dimmer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-22-2013, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought these LED Strips:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160688397549?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Now I'm planning to have three different zone for the LEDs. One for the LED in the soffit, another for the screen led and last the raiser led. Now, I have a question on how to tackle this.

The way I was thinking is have a electrical outlet in the soffit, back of the AT Screen and one on the raiser and each electrical box connect to the insteon dimmer switch, and have the AC Power plug in the switch and the controller. Should this work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-22-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
It's my understanding that you won't be able to use a dimmer for the outlet to dim the LED strips. The power supplies do not handle dimming well. They prefer on or off. The only real way to set the brightness of the LED strips is to use the remote that works with the controller. Then you can use an Insteon switch to turn them on and off. This is how I am doing mine after asking nearly this same question in my thread. Kinda sucks but the credit card size remote that you can get with the controller isn't bad to use.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-22-2013, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

It's my understanding that you won't be able to use a dimmer for the outlet to dim the LED strips. The power supplies do not handle dimming well. They prefer on or off. The only real way to set the brightness of the LED strips is to use the remote that works with the controller. Then you can use an Insteon switch to turn them on and off. This is how I am doing mine after asking nearly this same question in my thread. Kinda sucks but the credit card size remote that you can get with the controller isn't bad to use.
Where do you have the controller and the controller and power AC
post #4 of 7 Old 01-22-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Here are two pics of how I did my riser lighting. The outlet shown on the face of the riser is wired to an Insteon switch in my equipment room. This allows me to turn it on and off. As far as the color and brightness, I just use the remote that I got with the controller to change it as I desire. Most of what you see in the pictures (power supply, controller, etc.) will eventually be hidden behind the couch. I will probably wrap the white controller in black electrical tape to help hide it.

For the soffit I have a similar setup with an outlet behind my front soffit wired to a switch in my equipment room. The power supply and controller sit in the open portion of my soffit (so that I have access to them if needed) and I will extend the IR receiver so that it either hangs behind my AT screen or sticks up just above the lip on my soffit so that I can use the controller remote to change the color/brightness.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-22-2013, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks
post #6 of 7 Old 01-23-2013, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Couldn't you run an IR blaster to wherever the control box is and control via iRule with a Global Cache IP-IR box using the iRule app on any tablet/phone?
post #7 of 7 Old 01-23-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

You could probably do that if you can learn the commands off the remote with iRule. I haven't gotten that far into my iRule education to know how or if that is possible.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page