Sound Proofing the Ceiling... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-22-2013, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So I'm in the process of building my theater room and it is directly below my master bedroom. I will have 11.2 surround sound with plans to add an infinite baffle in the future and in doing some preliminary sound tests, my wife has expressed her concerns about how much sound will transfer through the floor to the master bedroom. Granted, the ceiling is wide open right now so I'm not sure what it will sound like under normal conditions (with typical insulation and drywall)... Now most of the time I would expect her to be down in the theater with me watching movies but she is worried about the times she isn't. Two of my walls are exterior walls of the house so I did nothing special on those but I built a double wall on the side that connects to the rest of the basement (so I got drywall, studs w/ insulation, drywall, 1" air gap, studs w/ insulation, and drywall again). Then my other wall goes to my utility room so I will just have normal walls w/ drywall & insulation there. I will have insulation in the ceiling but wondering if I should add extra layer of drywall, sound board, green glue, some type of rubber layer, etc. Any recommendations on materials or methods to help with sound proofing the ceiling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 05:01 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 679
#5, forget soundboard, won't work with Green Glue. If you don't do the walls you will be unhappy with the money you spend on the ceiling and the results of your efforts, the flanking sound will disturbe the misses.

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/soundproofing-solutions/soundproof-a-ceiling/
post #3 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 05:11 AM

Liked: 14
It sounds like you did the double wall wrong. It should be: drywall, insulated studs, air gap, insulated studs, drywall.

See http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/soundproofing101/triple-leaf-effect/ for some info on it.

You should use double layers of drywall on all of the theater walls w/ green glue. Make sure the top plates are decoupled from the ceiling joists or mount the wallboard on clips and channel. For the ceiling, look at doing clips w/ furring channel + double drywall w/ green glue.

Read some of the other articles on the Soundproofing Company's website, or contact them to get some help with identifying what materials you would need to buy.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

#5, forget soundboard, won't work with Green Glue. If you don't do the walls you will be unhappy with the money you spend on the ceiling and the results of your efforts, the flanking sound will disturbe the misses.

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/soundproofing-solutions/soundproof-a-ceiling/

Thanks for that link. It's very helpful. I was already considering doing something like in their SPC Ceiling Solution # 4 so I'll head in that direction.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjagox View Post

It sounds like you did the double wall wrong. It should be: drywall, insulated studs, air gap, insulated studs, drywall.

See http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/soundproofing101/triple-leaf-effect/ for some info on it.

You should use double layers of drywall on all of the theater walls w/ green glue. Make sure the top plates are decoupled from the ceiling joists or mount the wallboard on clips and channel. For the ceiling, look at doing clips w/ furring channel + double drywall w/ green glue.

Read some of the other articles on the Soundproofing Company's website, or contact them to get some help with identifying what materials you would need to buy.

Interesting. When I was researching stuff for building the walls (I didn't come across this site nor page) and the option I built had among the highest STC rating. That page shows a higher STCs for the other options I considered and compared against and it basically is saying to avoid the triple leaf method... Oh well, there is no way in heck I am tearing down a wall to take out the middle piece of drywall... Also weird that page never gives any size recommendations for how big or small the cavities between the 2 walls should be...
post #6 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 07:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 46
STC ratings should not be used for this type of application (and can be easily manipulated to look good).

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #7 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine View Post

STC ratings should not be used for this type of application (and can be easily manipulated to look good).

Dennis, as an expert in this area, what would you use instead of STC or better yet if you were constructing the ceiling for you theater, what method & materials would you use personally?
post #8 of 9 Old 01-24-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 46
STC considers only the frequencies from 125Hz to 4000Hz. STC is a single number generated from individual Transmission Loss measurements by curve fitting. Two materials or constructs with the same STC value can have radically different performance (by frequency). Further, it is not uncommon to design a material, or construct, such that the resonance frequency is somewhere below 125Hz. In other words, your barrier could be virtually transparent to sound at 80Hz or some other frequency below 125Hz. Whenever a product, of construct, has an STC value, that value was calculated from the Transmission Loss measurements ... that's what you want is the actual TL numbers. Also, most labs will measure TL at frequencies below 125Hz and report those (at least down to the flanking limit of the test facility). STC was originally a single number value used in office buildings for speech and office equipment (typewriter) noise...certainly not for audio playback spaces at 20Hz to 20kHz!

The advice provided by the Soundproofing Company is spot on.

Is it still Stage Coach or Pony Express to get to Mapleton? How far did you have to walk to get Internet service? smile.gif (I'm a Utah native.) I think my home town got electrical service last week.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #9 of 9 Old 01-24-2013, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine View Post

STC considers only the frequencies from 125Hz to 4000Hz. STC is a single number generated from individual Transmission Loss measurements by curve fitting. Two materials or constructs with the same STC value can have radically different performance (by frequency). Further, it is not uncommon to design a material, or construct, such that the resonance frequency is somewhere below 125Hz. In other words, your barrier could be virtually transparent to sound at 80Hz or some other frequency below 125Hz. Whenever a product, of construct, has an STC value, that value was calculated from the Transmission Loss measurements ... that's what you want is the actual TL numbers. Also, most labs will measure TL at frequencies below 125Hz and report those (at least down to the flanking limit of the test facility). STC was originally a single number value used in office buildings for speech and office equipment (typewriter) noise...certainly not for audio playback spaces at 20Hz to 20kHz!

The advice provided by the Soundproofing Company is spot on.

Is it still Stage Coach or Pony Express to get to Mapleton? How far did you have to walk to get Internet service? smile.gif (I'm a Utah native.) I think my home town got electrical service last week.

Got it. Yeah, no ponies here to pull that stage coach, I just use my dog...
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page