Has anyone got any layouts for a 10' x 12' room I can look at? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 01-24-2013, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi All,

In just over a month we will close escrow on our 'forever' home, and after 10 or more years of dreaming I will be getting my own space to dedicate to a home theater, arcade & bar. Although construction may not start for another year I am extremely excited so I can't help but start going over design ideas.

My actual space will be used as a small bar (I brew my own beer) combined with a lobby and arcade area (I design, build & restore arcade machines) which will lead into the home theater through a double wall staggered entry.

Space is limited, so that actual floor area of the room that I will be using for the HT is currently 12' x 10' with standard walls.

I'd really like to be able to seat 6 people in 2 rows of three with stadium elevation and have a kids pillow area down at the front. My plan is to use the 12' length for the throw, encapsulate the PJ at the back of the room over the entrance hallway (which is not part of the 12' x 10') and have an almost wall-to-wall screen of approx 9'8" horizontal width.

I want to do sound isolation and have columns along the length of the room for decor and housing of 7.1 speakers. My AV closet will reside in the staggered hallway so it wont have to fit within the 12x10. I'm trying to work out aisle widths, whether to have one or two, down the middle or the sides etc and how to deal with stepping up to the back row of seats safely without losing extra width to railings etc.

If anyone else has worked in a similar space I would love to see what you did.

I'll post some renderings and floorplanns of of the space when I can.

Joel

Too many toys, not enough time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-24-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
I hope you'll get some of the better design guys to chime in, but my first inmpression is that 12'x10' is going to be really tight.

My theater area is just over 12' x17' and even though it's open at the back to the rest the basement (bar area) my one row of 4 is REALLY tight. At 10', I'm guessing your row of three will be just as tight, if not more so. I don't think you'll be able to get a second row in that 12'. My screen is 104" scope (96" wide) and our eyeballs are at 12'. We just weren't comfortable any closer (i.e., biggier), but if you like sitting in the first row at the theater, it might work for you.

Since you're in the initial desgin stage, can you find a way to carve out a larger area?

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #3 of 31 Old 01-24-2013, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Here's a few layouts so you can see what I have to work with. I am limited by existing structure and available space to build. The space for the movie room already exists as part of the house, the arcade and bar will be an extension that I am squeezing into the corner of the lot in a space constricted by an existing in-ground swimming pool. So I just have to find a way to work with what I have

post #4 of 31 Old 01-24-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 365
What's in the entry path there - why not reclaim that space and put in a door. (although when accounting for the door swing you're not really going to gain much space, but at least the back row won't be against the wall) Also, you really, really want a door. Unless those machines are always broken... biggrin.gif

If anyone wants to play them while someone else is watching a movie, someone is going to lose that battle. Besides, without a door on the room, any "soundproofing" money spent will be 100% wasted. Ask the experts on that one.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #5 of 31 Old 01-24-2013, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I figured the soundproofing would be an issue, I'm just so in love with that staggered entry look, but I guess if I have to lose it to more practical concerns then that's what I will have to do. frown.gif The entry path was also going to house a big beautiful AV closet to the right of the entrance with tinited glass door, rack and ohhhh soooo many flashy lights.

post #6 of 31 Old 01-24-2013, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
If you went with commercial movie seat that flips down then two rows of three is feasible.

Imo recliners or sofas wouldnt work due to the size of the room.

post #7 of 31 Old 01-24-2013, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Well this rarely happens. Turns out I had completely the wrong number in my head for the HT space, it was in fact 10x16 not 10x12. However I went in and removed the staggered hallway and moved things around a little. If I can get away with a 14x10 room then I can also have almost the same for the arcade and bar giving me space to comfortably fit in 9 full size cabinets.

post #8 of 31 Old 01-24-2013, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

And if I tighten up the arcade, drop down to 8 cabinets and share the walkway space then I can grab almost 16' for the theater, this is better.

post #9 of 31 Old 01-24-2013, 05:34 PM

Sixteen is workable. Personally, I would recommend a row of two home theater recliners for the front row, and theater-style seats on a riser for the second row. You can fit 3, or maybe even 4 of those.

__________________________________________________ ______

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1415464/aa...sement-theater
post #10 of 31 Old 01-24-2013, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Between the people and the machines in the arcade, as well as the people/projector in the theater, you need to take a hard look at the HVAC for that area. I'd especially be concerned about the arcade, since those bodies will be more energetic than those sitting a watching a movie - and those machines are all nice big CRT room-warmers!

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #11 of 31 Old 01-25-2013, 05:15 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 684
where is the door to the theater?
post #12 of 31 Old 01-25-2013, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 67
The circulation space is too tight. I think less would be more, with the area.

A couple of very rough ideas, but perhaps combining the bar and second row of seating would create some depth.

1: would need pocket doors in the back wall, for light control.

1.jpg 356k .jpg file

2: Moves the bar to the kitchen island but would let you do a shallow depth AT space and give improved speaker layout and allow for a larger screen.

2.jpg 336k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (355.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (336.3 KB, 18 views)
post #13 of 31 Old 01-25-2013, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I'm working with a 12'x15' space and that is tight for two rows. I can only fit two in the front and 4 in the back with 26" paths on each side of the front row. You may have to opt for more traditional theater chairs that you can bolt to the floor and riser if you want to fit 6.

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #14 of 31 Old 01-25-2013, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Hi all, thanks for all of the feedback so far, it is helping a lot.

Good point on the AC and something I will definitely keep in mind, fortunately I live in San Diego so temperatures are much easier to manage than many other places in the country.

Thanks for the sketches with moving things around. Unfortunately the bar has to be where i have it as it serves as an indoor and outdoor bar to the pool area, the windows to the outside will be fold-away screen windows that will open the whole bar to the counters on the window ledges nearest the pool.

Played around some more and I'm here so far...

Theater is 15ft deep, hallway is 27" and steps up to 16" before entering the theater. The stadium platforms are at 16" and 8". Back row eyeballs should be at about 14.5' from the screen, first row about 12'. Currently we watch a 140" 16:9 screen in the basement at about 14' and have never considered it too big or overwhelming.

post #15 of 31 Old 01-25-2013, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Next revision.

Decided I had to have a pee-closet in that area, so I added that to the design. Down to 6 arcade machines now, but that's still fine, plenty of fun still to be had there and a good use of shared space in the arcade for general foot traffic.

In the HT room the entrance passage steps up to 20" then the room walkway is 27" stepping down in 6" drops to 8" for the front row and then to ground level. The front row of recliner seating for 3 as recommended with 4 seats of traditional seating behind. Front row eyeballs are 10 feet from the screen, back row 14 feet, I can always reduce the screen size a little if it's too overwhelming but I do love the 'immersion' feel of 1:1 viewing distances.

post #16 of 31 Old 01-25-2013, 01:02 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 684
IMHO having a sit at bar just a few paces from a large sit at kitchen counter bar is a waste of space, just design the kitchen to do double duty. Use the space for an expanded arcade and extend the theater space. When you have guests over and you are entertaining they will gravitate to the wide open spaces of the kitchen rather than cram themselves in that noisey and hot (It will be hot) nook of a game room. Maybe put the bathroom back there.
post #17 of 31 Old 01-25-2013, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

IMHO having a sit at bar just a few paces from a large sit at kitchen counter bar is a waste of space, just design the kitchen to do double duty. Use the space for an expanded arcade and extend the theater space. When you have guests over and you are entertaining they will gravitate to the wide open spaces of the kitchen rather than cram themselves in that noisey and hot (It will be hot) nook of a game room.

This is a very good point, I'm going to chew on this a bit

post #18 of 31 Old 01-25-2013, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

BigMouth's point was well received, something I hadn't thought about. So I went back and built out this version which is making a lot more sense. Now i still have the indoor/outdoor bar but it works as more a part of the social/family area. We have a small pee room for recycling all those home made beers which is also in very close proximity to the arcade and theater. The theater room is nwo a respectful 16ft long giving us that oh so important extra few feet of eyeball room.

And this my friends is why I love communities of similar minded creative people...

post #19 of 31 Old 01-25-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffindodd View Post

BigMouth's point was well received

It's the same thing I tell all my friends: "Jeff is always right."

If only they'd listen... rolleyes.gif
Quote:
So I went back and built out this version which is making a lot more sense. Now i still have the indoor/outdoor bar but it works as more a part of the social/family area. We have a small pee room for recycling all those home made beers which is also in very close proximity to the arcade and theater. The theater room is now a respectful16ft long giving us that oh so important extra few feet of eyeball room.

That layout is a major improvement in a lot of ways. More space in the theater, better use of the space around the kitchen, better flow around the arcade, multiple walls between the arcade and the theater, etc. etc. etc.

Way to go!

post #20 of 31 Old 01-25-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good point on the AC and something I will definitely keep in mind, fortunately I live in San Diego so temperatures are much easier to manage than many other places in the country.

Perfect outdoor temperature doesn't solve the heat load generated by all the bodies and equipment. A lot of us end up running the A/C in the winter for the theater because of this...

Jeff

post #21 of 31 Old 01-25-2013, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Yep point understood on the AC. In the arcade room I think I may add high windows that tilt open to aid the issue, fortunately we are installing solar on the house so that will take care of the AC bills.

If I can manage to push the addition out to 12ft wide at least for the bathroom and arcade than I can get some nice space benefits, in the arcade 10 standard cabs and one sit down or a pinball machine. One of my big goals is to own an Addams Family pinball, so it would take pride of place in the middle of the arcade for sure, if not an Addams family then a Star Wars cockpit, either way they would occupy the same space.

post #22 of 31 Old 01-25-2013, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Holy Crap Jautor, I just looked at the picture gallery of your build, absolutely exquisite, beautiful, stunning, elegant, wonderful!!!!! Well done sir that is something to be extremely proud of without question. As I get my dimensions locked in then I can really start to focus on the details. I am very tempted to recreate a Star Wars style theater, just for the hell of it, and the opportunity to create something way beyond the norm. I get so much from user communities and swear by them when advising others who want to take on projects after seeing mine. It was the same story when I got into designing and building arcade machines, I just immersed myself in the community, absorbed their advice and shared projects and then went about making my own build. 6 months later I have been nominated for the 2012 full size cab of the year award by the community, an honor to be recognized by your peers that I hold in high regard.

Link here for those interested... http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,121570.0.html

So, if I continue to listen to my peers here and absorb all of the great information from those that have gone before me then I know I can build a great theater, who knows, maybe even something like this...

post #23 of 31 Old 01-26-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
What software are you using for your renders? I could use something like that when I start my build.
post #24 of 31 Old 01-28-2013, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post

What software are you using for your renders? I could use something like that when I start my build.

It's by a company called Chief Architect, they have a bunch of different packages that do similar stuff, depends on the level of expertise you require. I just like to use it to do general layout and artists impressions rather than specific build details.

post #25 of 31 Old 01-28-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

we are installing solar on the house so that will take care of the AC bills.]

eek.gif

That's a LOT of solar! Wow! Would you mind sharing some more information about the system? 6KW? 10?!
post #26 of 31 Old 01-28-2013, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Not sure yet, we're having the company come in and do a site survey in a month or so.

post #27 of 31 Old 01-28-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

Not sure yet, we're having the company come in and do a site survey in a month or so.

That's really cool. I looked into doing something like that with a 5kW system for my house but the estimate was something like $40k. I decided to just suck up my $0.09 / kWH power bill.

I didn't mean to derail you here. I think your plans are looking really cool. I LOVE the idea of having an arcade! I've always wanted a standup of the old Terminator 2 game...

In your last rendering it appears that the seats are off-center of the screen. Is that the case? I'm no expert but I would think that moving the door to the side / front might net you an additional seat or two plus centering them. You'd have to make sure that there's aisle-space, of course.
post #28 of 31 Old 01-28-2013, 11:49 AM

My room is 12x16 and I face similar space issues. Hopefully will get a lot done in the next couple of weeks so feel free to check here to see any epic fails I have with my limitations or if it actually works smile.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1443370/vandelay-industries-ht#post_22883591

Decided 2 rows was a must so a riser in the back and screen will mount on front wall. I know some don't like that front row being that close but I think for movies will still be good and the kids probably will like it better anyway up there. Hiding everything up front in columns, actually more of a false wall I guess, which I framed out. Few others did this and it really looked good. I listened to the pros on the columns and as much as I wanted to do them the space didn't make sense for it. That being said I went out and bought some B&W DS3s for my rears and sides, they mount flush and don't stick out as far as my bulky bookshelves did and sound great. Lol, I look at them and say shoot I could easily tuck these in a narrow column but they look kind of cool so will leave them out and still be happy. Kudos to you for planning far in advance, I had something planned before stumbling on this site. I had sound issues, led me to avsforums and the next thing you know, looks nothing like I was going to do but can already tell the sound is great and hopefully will look great.
post #29 of 31 Old 01-28-2013, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

In your last rendering it appears that the seats are off-center of the screen. Is that the case? I'm no expert but I would think that moving the door to the side / front might net you an additional seat or two plus centering them. You'd have to make sure that there's aisle-space, of course.

Yes I had to go for off center as I only have room for one aisle, but the angle of view is so shallow it's not something that is a deal killer.

post #30 of 31 Old 01-28-2013, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurVandelay View Post

My room is 12x16 and I face similar space issues. Hopefully will get a lot done in the next couple of weeks so feel free to check here to see any epic fails I have with my limitations or if it actually works smile.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1443370/vandelay-industries-ht#post_22883591

Decided 2 rows was a must so a riser in the back and screen will mount on front wall. I know some don't like that front row being that close but I think for movies will still be good and the kids probably will like it better anyway up there. Hiding everything up front in columns, actually more of a false wall I guess, which I framed out. Few others did this and it really looked good. I listened to the pros on the columns and as much as I wanted to do them the space didn't make sense for it. That being said I went out and bought some B&W DS3s for my rears and sides, they mount flush and don't stick out as far as my bulky bookshelves did and sound great. Lol, I look at them and say shoot I could easily tuck these in a narrow column but they look kind of cool so will leave them out and still be happy. Kudos to you for planning far in advance, I had something planned before stumbling on this site. I had sound issues, led me to avsforums and the next thing you know, looks nothing like I was going to do but can already tell the sound is great and hopefully will look great.

Sounds like we are facing very similar issues. I'm a pretty experienced designer (although not in home theater) so I'm good with space and form. I may have to rely on some optical tricks to get the feel I want in the space I have available but that's all the fun of the process. I won't really know what I can get away with until I speak with my contractor closer to the date and understand what kind of space I can eek out, who knows I may be able to push a wall an extra two feet wide but I have to watch out for easement and zoning issues. I've even considered just pushing the top of the wall out so that it 'overhangs' the structural wall and sinking the screen into that area, but until I know my physical barriers it's all theory for now.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page